Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

GoGoGadget posted:

I am in the process of converting to Catholicism, which requires you attend like six months' worth of classes called RCIA, or Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. Last class was about Catholic social teachings, and the speaker was talking about things like caring for the poor, showing compassion and working towards the greater good, uniting as workers and supporting unions, caring for babies even after birth, being against the death penalty; you know, typical Democratic views. Looking around the room, I noticed a lot of the men in the room getting uncomfortable.

What was really hilarious to watch was their reaction to her talking about women's rights and how it pertains to contraception and how the church is beginning to lean towards accepting its use within a marriage due to allowing for the safety of the mother in spacing out pregnancies, and to help ensure that the number of children they have is sustainable. I saw one old dude's face turn beet red in barely contained anger.

"Catholicism Boot Camp" seems to feed my perception that Catholicism is Christianity on Steroids with excessive Challenge and Response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Catholics just like to dog and pony up the Jesus experience. The ritual is the religion to some of them. And they love them some formalized rituals backed by organ music written in the 19th century. The saints, the transubstantiation, the fancy hats the priests get as they level up.

Hardcore catholics are up there with people who are fascinated with everything the royal family does. Pomp and circumstance.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Most serious Christian denominations expect you to actually learn what they're about. I know Orthodox Christianity has classes for converts as well (because I married into it, although I haven't converted). Every mainstream branch of Judaism would also make you do a ton of studying.

And yes Catholics (and Orthodox) are a bit extra even by that standard, but contrast to the fundie evangelical standard of "oh you hate the gays and love rich people too? WELCOME" :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What does the church of sasquatch preach?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arrath posted:

I'm here wondering how large of a local electricity co-op I have to put together to get in on one of these new mini modular nuclear reactors.

I'll be like that community that sprung up around a diked off nuke plant in...poo poo, was it Footfall? Some Niven/Pournell work, I think.

Lucifer’s Hammer, I believe.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What does the church of sasquatch preach?

Eat berries, smoke weed, pet bunnies, stick to the shadows.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

I get the mindset of "I grew up Catholic and was taught all my life that this was anathema" and reacting badly. Dumb but I get it. But this was a convert? From what? Why are you mad at this religion you're still learning? :psyduck:

GAWT DURNIT I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE ONE WHERE THE WOMEN HAD TO MAKE BABIES, GONNA HAVE TO RECONSIDER :bahgawd:

He wasn't a convert, but a sponsor of one.

And yeah, it is a bit odd to have to go through classes to convert, but the more I go through it the more I understand it. As pointed out, the ritual of it all is very important and you can't easily come into that without deliberate teaching. But what attracted me to it was the relative liberalism and actually caring about people I saw in those like the doctor running this RCIA group compared to my Southern Baptist upbringing where I was taught everyone was a sinner that deserved to burn eternally in the fiery pits of Hell.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Aaaaaaaahahahahgauhagauahaga

https://twitter.com/rmc031/status/1623775414962331648?t=641q_nJJ2B0CMElEItPVvw&s=19

quote:

Elon Musk fires a top Twitter engineer over his declining view count

Employees showed Musk internal data regarding engagement with his account, along with a Google Trends chart. Last April, they told him, Musk was at “peak” popularity in search rankings, indicated by a score of “100.” Today, he’s at a score of nine. Engineers had previously investigated whether Musk’s reach had somehow been artificially restricted, but found no evidence that the algorithm was biased against him.

Musk did not take the news well. 

“You’re fired, you’re fired,” Musk told the engineer.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
YOU'RE FIRED, I KNOW MY POSTS ARE MORE POPULAR THAN THAT

Edit: and here's what everyone is saying regarding how twitter dies - not at once, just slowly due to stupid

quote:

On Wednesday, the company suffered one of its first major outages since Musk took over, with users being told, inexplicably, “You are over the daily limit for sending tweets.”

It turns out that an employee had inadvertently deleted data for an internal service that sets rate limits for using Twitter. The team that worked on that service left the company in November.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 9, 2023

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

GoGoGadget posted:

And yeah, it is a bit odd to have to go through classes to convert, but the more I go through it the more I understand it. As pointed out, the ritual of it all is very important and you can't easily come into that without deliberate teaching. But what attracted me to it was the relative liberalism and actually caring about people I saw in those like the doctor running this RCIA group compared to my Southern Baptist upbringing where I was taught everyone was a sinner that deserved to burn eternally in the fiery pits of Hell.

I've struggled with this in Judaism. I love the rituals and sense of historical connection they provide but also the groups that most value ritual also tend to be the intolerant assholes. Whereas the the temples I've been to that I consider spiritually and politically just they've thrown almost all of the ritual out along with the problematic bits.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
someone said it before that post-fail-whale twitter was built to be as stable as a rock

the fact twitter did not collapse and has not collapsed yet is a testament to how well they did their jobs

that said, elon continues tweering the tweetanic into the iceberg

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

facialimpediment posted:

YOU'RE FIRED, I KNOW MY POSTS ARE MORE POPULAR THAN THAT

"i am tired of all these goddamn bots in my replies, kill them"

"wait, why are my popularity numbers down"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rhodesian Lowtax=Springbok Trump

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah, and this is a Principal Engineer. Like top notch guy. The fact that Musk fired him on a loving whim during a temper tantrum says all that needs to be said about Musk.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

One of the few points in the catholic church's favor is that they generally fall on the works side of the "faith vs works" debate.

I spent 13 years in catholic school, which predictably means that I haven't been to church except for a wedding or funeral in decades, but I can still attest that the Jesus I learned about has nothing in common with American evangelical Jesus.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: and here's what everyone is saying regarding how twitter dies - not at once, just slowly due to stupid

It's really funny that you can determine what specific job a computer toucher does strictly based on their opinion of odds of twitter falling over in a dumpster fire. My friends in security/IT land are basically taking a dead pool, while my coworkers in management/programming town are of the opinion that twitter can't fail it can only be failed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
A lot of Dev friends I know are also basically in a Dead pool as well, honestly the only people I've heard defending Twitter is management types.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Well that corns it, censer pots are the most important part about religion!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Look here folks, if your job is to DM death threats to the libs, you simply cannot be limited to 500 messages per day.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the real question isn't if but when, and i imagine most of us lost pretty early on that one thinking it would die fast rather than slowly teeter ever closer to a slow, painful collapse

very excited to see how the continued slow decline of twitter and musk's popularity gets to him, though. :allears:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

stealie72 posted:

One of the few points in the catholic church's favor is that they generally fall on the works side of the "faith vs works" debate.

I spent 13 years in catholic school, which predictably means that I haven't been to church except for a wedding or funeral in decades, but I can still attest that the Jesus I learned about has nothing in common with American evangelical Jesus.

I went to a southern baptist service once having been raised catholic, and never again lol, gently caress that noise. Me and the catholic church have disagreements but southern baptists are literal preaching the apocalypse and end times unless you are saved by baby jesus or some poo poo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I think one of the best unforced errors my mom ever made was despite her being a Baptist, she opted to baptize my sister and I in the Episcopal church since that was my dad's families denomination (though he didn't give a poo poo) and basically just had us go to their services and programs growing up. I ended up working at a summer camp too for a few years when I was in high school, and made some life long friends there.

I'm agnostic now, but when I still went to church and that camp, it was nice dealing with the sane version of Christianity instead of being told I was going to hell constantly. Got to experience that again at my mom's funeral service though. Pastor would not shut the gently caress up about how everyone there was DOOMED unless they subscribed to his brand of Christianity. gently caress that guy.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Catholics just like to dog and pony up the Jesus experience. The ritual is the religion to some of them. And they love them some formalized rituals backed by organ music written in the 19th century. The saints, the transubstantiation, the fancy hats the priests get as they level up.

Hardcore catholics are up there with people who are fascinated with everything the royal family does. Pomp and circumstance.

We get the added benefit of rules lawyering over things. Not quite to the point of rabbis, unfortunately.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I had a baptist friend explain to me the heaven and hell thing when I was seven and have been an atheist ever since. Wow, this is what happens when a summer of '68 Berkeley student and hippy Nam vet let their kids choose their own adventure with religion.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

I had a baptist friend explain to me the heaven and hell thing when I was seven and have been an atheist ever since. Wow, this is what happens when a summer of '68 Berkeley student and hippy Nam vet let their kids choose their own adventure with religion.

Being trained to be that way as a Southern Baptist is what made me fall away from religion once I was old enough to think critically. I remember telling a friend that had just found out his mom had cancer that she was going to Hell since she wasn't saved.

Seeing that (most) Catholics aren't like that is what attracted me to it, in addition to the works vs. faith and not being in everyone's face about religion.

But as an apology for contributing to this derail:

Missouri House shoots down proposal to keep children from walking around with guns

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

stealie72 posted:

just wanna reiterate that the Ask/Tell religion megathread is really good

GoGoGadget posted:

Being trained to be that way as a Southern Baptist is what made me fall away from religion once I was old enough to think critically. I remember telling a friend that had just found out his mom had cancer that she was going to Hell since she wasn't saved.

same, friends keep getting upset that I don't want to watch Handmaid's Tale no matter how many times I tell them no, these people are real and I'm from them

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 10, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

citybeatnik posted:

We get the added benefit of rules lawyering over things. Not quite to the point of rabbis, unfortunately.

Supreme court in recent history.txt

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Who had stealing puppies on their GOP crimes bingo card? Bonus points if you can guess the offender before clicking!

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/09/george-santos-was-charged-with-theft-in-dog-case.html

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
do the southern baptists even do the fun speaking in tongues stuff that 7th day adventists do

if not what's the point

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Estonian foreign intelligence service just pulished their annual security report. Some interesting reading.

https://raport.valisluureamet.ee/2023/en/

Executive Summary posted:

1. The Ukrainians’ will to defend, the capabilities of their Armed Forces, and Western unity in supporting Ukraine surprised the Kremlin. Despite this, Russia’s strategic goal remains the same: subjugating Ukraine and changing the European security architecture. Read more in chapters 1.1, 2.1

2. Russia believes that time is on its side. To keep the war machine going, Russia is ready raise the stakes. Russia seems to believe it can “bomb” Ukraine to the negotiating table. Read more in chapter 1.1

3. Russia’s belligerence has significantly increased the security risks for Estonia, and the large-scale exercise Zapad 23 may further strain the situation in the Baltic Sea region. Russia still has enough strength to exert credible military pressure in our region. Read more in chapter 1.2

4. Russia supports its military efforts in Ukraine by using cyber tools against Ukraine and the countries that support it. Its activities in cyberspace have not yielded the results Russia had hoped for, but we must remain vigilant. Read more in chapter 1.3

5. The Russian special services officers hide behind various “covers”. A tried-and-tested cover organisation used abroad is the Russian Orthodox Church, which the Kremlin also operates as an instrument of influence against Ukraine and the West. Read more in chapters 4, 5

6. Belarus has provided logistical and material support to Russia in the war against Ukraine, but the Belarusian Armed Forces have not yet intervened in the military operations in Ukraine and do not wish to do so in the future. Read more in chapter 1.4

7. Russia is moving towards a total dictatorship. The prospects for the current regime collapsing and the country democratising are slim despite the problems caused by the war and Western sanctions. On the contrary, an even more radical faction is rising to the fore in Russia’s ruling elite. Read more in chapter 3.1

8. In foreign policy, Russia has its stakes on creating a geopolitical coalition of authoritarian regimes opposed to the West who share a mistrust of Western policies and values. Diplomatic resources are being diverted from the West to other regions. Read more in chapter 2.1

9. Russia’s military credibility in former Soviet territories has weakened because Russia has failed to provide the security guarantees promised within the CSTO framework, and its Armed Forces have been unsuccessful in Ukraine. In Africa, however, Russia sees its best opportunities precisely in the field of security. Read more in chapters 2.2, 2.3

10. Under Xi Jinping, China is moving towards deepening authoritarianism and no longer hides its ambition to become a global superpower. China’s efforts to build a community of like-minded countries opposed to the West under the banner of the Global Security Initiative – which would also include Russia – undermines Estonia’s security. Read more in chapter 6

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

VSOKUL girl posted:

do the southern baptists even do the fun speaking in tongues stuff that 7th day adventists do

if not what's the point

You'll think everyone is speaking in tongues after being stuck in one of their services for 2 hours and 45 minutes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

VSOKUL girl posted:

if not what's the point

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My sister quit believing in a Christian god after her church group leader earnestly explained that no, pets don’t go to Heaven because they can’t profess their faith in Jesus Christ. If that’s true, God’s an rear end in a top hat for imbuing something with life and then condemning it to hell because they can’t participate in his popularity contest.

That said, I did spend a few weeks of my summers at a 7th Day Adventist sports camp when I was a young teenager (mostly for wakeboarding and mountain biking) and had a good time with minimal religious pressure despite singing Christian songs at campfire and such. I remembered the names of some of my counselors and looked them up a few years ago and they all seemed to become good people. One of them became a rural hospital administrator and he and his wife adopted a bunch of kids when they couldn’t have their own, and they do medical missions pretty frequently.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Calvin is where poo poo really started going off the rails IMO

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fun fact: the snake handling thing is only present in the Long Ending of the gospel of Mark, which basically every scholar agrees is a later addition to the text.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Is this the one across from the snake farm?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My sister quit believing in a Christian god after her church group leader earnestly explained that no, pets don’t go to Heaven because they can’t profess their faith in Jesus Christ.

Actually pets can’t go to hell because they can’t sin, and they don’t need to be baptized because they’re not affected by the original sin. Check SMDFB 69:420

And ye who disagrees shall face the wrath of my buttons.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I disagrees

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kesper North posted:

The Estonian foreign intelligence service just pulished their annual security report. Some interesting reading.

https://raport.valisluureamet.ee/2023/en/

Lol, Russia is trying to make the Legion of Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My sister quit believing in a Christian god after her church group leader earnestly explained that no, pets don’t go to Heaven because they can’t profess their faith in Jesus Christ. If that’s true, God’s an rear end in a top hat for imbuing something with life and then condemning it to hell because they can’t participate in his popularity contest.

i thought I was misunderstanding Calvinism, regarding the idea that billions of humans live their lives (including before Jesus was born) without having the option of being saved then are sentenced to eternal torment. And that this is how it is supposed to work, and God controls everything and is pleased with the system. And wouldn’t you know it, the elect are oddly concentrated among upper class white folk whose parents happened to also be elect.

As this made no sense I was asking questions and got informed by a mansion dweller that this approach boosts God’s glory.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 10, 2023