Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

i say swears online posted:

in second grade I misspelled "everybuddy" and I will never forgive myself

looks at this looser lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
everybuddy is cute and if this was a just society it would be what we call everybody.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

1:36:00 - 2:00:00

This stretch of history spans from Eastern Navada to Western Utah, before the trip gets to Salt Lake City. This segment is also a sandwich of white people history, starting with the indian genocide, then going into amazingly petty state politics, and finishing off with chemical weapons and the reason we don't abide by Geneva Conventions.

Chapter 21) Fruit of the Poisoned Tree
Noah is a weenie when it comes to white people feelings and history. I like him for it but he is an extremely white guy talking about an extremely white topic and when that white topic is paved over an ancient graveyard he leaves an offering and says two (or more) paragraphs. The Goshute Tribe was one that I studied back in school and Noah goes into the Treaty of 1863 where they signed off on anything that ever mattered on their land for like tiny cash. Gold Mountain was an ancient example of America's old timey expansionism. They mined all the gold, then in WW2 it was mined for Arsenic and now it's mined for Tungsten. Goshute aint getting paid for any of that. But hey, it's either abide by that or death.

Chapter 22) The Stubornest Cuss Who Ever Lived
William D. “Big Bill” Rishel was a cyclist racer at the Wendover salt flats. Through his local and state connections he made for drat sure that the Lincoln Highway in the stretch of Utah would never ever ever receive a dime from Deseret. This highway has an antagonist and rival, the one I drove on. This man is why I80 was the main route through to the west. All because he wanted to conquer his stretch of desert. Savage combatant. It made the Lincoln Highway folks pour their personal fortunes into the segment and dooming it from receiving federal funds. All for spite and stobournness. My favorite kinda American History.

Chapter 23) The Dugway Sheepkill Incident
Ahhh~ real history. Noah put in a content warning so I turned baby away and checked it out. It's fine, most of the clip is old timey reporting video and near the end of the clip they show the sheep doing the VX unhappy dance. I replayed it for the toddler and this segment was reaching the end of his attention span. This segments goes over the area called Skull Valley, where in 1968 the US government tests chemical weapons and some of them kinda leaked out beyond acceptable parameters and killed like 6000 sheep. Ooopskidoodle~ One of the few times where the DoD has been held accountable over anything and lmao it was over sheep out in the middle of nowhere I love this fuckin country. The chemical weapons area is still like that, never really got shut down. No fences needed: if you wander past some invisible line in the sand somebody will appear to assist you the gently caress off that land. The footage on this stretch of landswamp is wild, irl Kenshi, irl Fallout. Stephen King rode the lincoln highway and The Stand was based on this little stretch of land. The cantancerous old man in the previous chapter created the conditions that made this piece of land ideal to be a chemical weapons plant: sparsely populated, on native land, just enough infrastructure. Genuinely and earnestly, I hope my son understands that the USA is the biggest baddest barbarian horde on earth since the 50's and our ancestors were right to join up to this mercenary camp calling itself a nation.

I fuckin love it. Best podcast watching experience I've had

Chapter 24 Gale Hoag's Final Vigil
All along the roadtrip there have been concrete pylons in frame, on film. This section explains that in the 1920's the Lincoln Highway Association was disolving. The last member as his last act made these memorials. He coordinated with Boy Scouts of America to dot them along the Lincoln Highway, explicitly because they knew that the highway was going to die, the I80 had already won, and Hoag just wanted future people to know that past people had traveled there once upon a time. It is very somber, but also very tender. Like a checkpoint, collectable, or any sort of videogame metaphor you could do. It's sweet.

Chapter 25 Mormon Propaganda Pleasure Palace

Hell yeah! This is that anscestral lore. The Great Salt Air I knew and is still standing was a concert venue. Way back in the 1900s it was basically built to be the Bioshock Infinite Waterfront out in the wetlands. It burnt down, and they rebuilt it, it died during the depression and burnt down too, the water receeded and left nothing but sand, and now it is on it's third iteration: a concert warehouse in the desert where teenagers try molle for the first time, which is fine, every city needs one of those. I'm impressed by Noah's deep lore knowledge, he explains the concept of Deseret: the mormon nation that ~would~ have separated from the united states if federal troops ever like actually left. It's the dopest lil background factiod that you can only find in HOI4 Fallout Mods or old timey mormon war journals. There is a fascist militarism in that land. It actually kinda works, most functional theocracy I've encountered and the sweetest right wing white people I could have ever known. Pay attention son, this is where your dad did molle. He doesn't actually drive past where I grew up and that's a bummer but whatever.

Chapter 26 Echo of the Past
A profile on a 1960's style town that died. He finds a lil tunnel and walks down it. There was a sunken cash register in the mud. Baby has already gone off to watch Family Feud and I'm just typing words.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fleetwood posted:

is there a pre-Harry Potter series from England that served as a template for Rowling's books?

I would recommend "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman if you're looking for an Rowling-like that isn't dumb bullshit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've only read like three books ever but that reminded me that Magician's Nephew, one of the narnia books, has a similar harry potter feel

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would recommend "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman if you're looking for an Rowling-like that isn't dumb bullshit

the tv show was pretty good

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
why do any of these large influencers even say anything about people complaining about their streaming badgame? just, ignore it. don't acknowledge or respond to anyone about it. easy!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shipon posted:

why do any of these large influencers even say anything about people complaining about their streaming badgame? just, ignore it. don't acknowledge or respond to anyone about it. easy!

streamers are interesting to me because parasocial relationships are a two-way street. they crave positive reinforcement from their chat just as much as the chat needs the entertainment

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

people are looking for validation for their decisions, and especially when it's something that people can rightfully disagree on

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It really is bizarre the extent to which western liberals and leftists experience and identify their politics almost solely through brand and media consumption and affiliation. Our ideological forerunners, even the most hardline, didn't seem to have any issue consuming and interacting with media produced by their ideological enemies. Presumably because they did other poo poo.

the amount of discourse centered around a single video game is incredible lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

internet ftw

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

internet ftw

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Xaris posted:

internet ftw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Homeless Friend posted:

shame marcuse's dead

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i say swears online posted:

in second grade I misspelled "everybuddy" and I will never forgive myself

This is nothing.

During a 4th grade spelling bee I spelled "opera" as "opra"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's always fun to remember that the child actors who played the main HP characters are totally rational and cool adults decades later, while the author has had one of the larger public meltdowns of the past decade. Usually it's the other way around.

Heck, even the secondary kids are cool too AFAICT.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've never seen a potter movie but Radcliffe is one of my favorite actors

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
if you wanna see some poo poo, search for “war war two”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"baron von radcliffen was evacuated to london by SAS in march 1945[1][2][3]"

oh no

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Shipon posted:

because you get more engagement fighting people about it

its pro wrestling

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
As a fellow victim of cancel culture,

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Homeless Friend posted:

a videogame based on a problematic middle-grade fantasy writer's mind-palace even, what a world

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

This is nothing.

During a 4th grade spelling bee I spelled "opera" as "opra"
i'm going to the opra this weekend

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Judge movies by the brother of death corner is good. Only Kubrick movies so far, but he watches the later movies and points out common themes of the US being the fourth reich built on pedofilia and blood sacrifice.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'm going to the opra this weekend

oh cool, I thought her show ended already

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

oh cool, I thought her show ended already
tapping the like button

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

watching the grand ol' opra with my meemaw

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I got Pratchett as a kid and I recommend him.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://youtu.be/Q2PBOAbdIcU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

im so sick of it. who gives a single poo poo about your purchase making an obscenely rich and lovely person 12 cents wealthier or whatever. but youd think going by the internet discourse that a trans teen is being murdered with every copy sold. just enjoy your dumbass treats in peace

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

apparently she made her cash on this in the licensing so sales don't matter to her estate

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
yt is recommending me red scare clips where the background is cgi dasha and anna, now im like anna doesn't know tf she's talking about and I realise I've been bamboozled into listening red scare

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Honest Thief posted:

yt is recommending me red scare clips where the background is cgi dasha and anna, now im like anna doesn't know tf she's talking about and I realise I've been bamboozled into listening red scare

lol same. i figured the best parts would be clipped so i gave one a shot but i couldn't more than halfway through

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

crepeface posted:

lol same. i figured the best parts would be clipped so i gave one a shot but i couldn't more than halfway through

buzzed anna "women in our generation drink far more than anyother point of recorded history"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

babypolis posted:

im so sick of it. who gives a single poo poo about your purchase making an obscenely rich and lovely person 12 cents wealthier or whatever. but youd think going by the internet discourse that a trans teen is being murdered with every copy sold. just enjoy your dumbass treats in peace

Getting mad about people buying a harry potter game is the "we all need to do our part to recycle and reduce our carbon footprint" of social advocacy

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

babypolis posted:

Solidarity means not enjoying things on purpose if someone vocalizes any sort of discomfort

The literature, story, world etc. of Harry Potter aren't anti-trans but they don't have to be. All that matters is that the vibe is hosed for some people now, and that means you can't participate either

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I’ve said it before but I do find it pretty funny that after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, the guy who wrote the ultraviolent fantasy series filled with rape and incest ended up being unquestionably way less problematic than the lady who wrote the kids books about a school for wizards.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’ve said it before but I do find it pretty funny that after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, the guy who wrote the ultraviolent fantasy series filled with rape and incest ended up being unquestionably way less problematic than the lady who wrote the kids books about a school for wizards.

not to mention his ultraviolent and kinky not-xmen series

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

that's because for liberals the stories themselves are ancillary to the people responsible for them

it's great men and women of history but for books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
oh hey Mia Mulder has a new video out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZFPxGzhGQ8