Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I bought a new board game recently, it's called Camel Up. It's about betting on a camel race. It's pretty fun, rounds are short but sweet, there's a nice kinetic aspect because the dice are rolled via a big plastic pyramid and the camels can stack onto each other and then get carried along. And when you unfold the board, there's a big pop-up palm tree. Mookie would probably like it.

This post took me thirty seconds to write and only that long because I'm on a bus getting shaken around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

a cartoon duck posted:

controversially, i think blog posts should be off limits for the thread before it crosses the webddog threshold, as people are already declaring their hatred for the man for having the wrong opinions on search algorithms and board games

I think the blog posts are fair game to talk about since they're posted on the comic site directly, but I also agree that people could stand to be less incensed at every thing Mookie says. There's observations to be made on these, like how he just blabbed for four paragraphs about his narrow taste on board games without providing a single example of what fits the bill, but people have got to be more chill about it.

I do think Twitter should be a no-go, with the exception of those times where his tweet about an update provides context. Digging around his follows and whatnot definitely drifts towards webdogging; just don't hunt for content and don't let yourselves get too angry and we should be fine.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They're just boring though, not nearly as horribad as the comic

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
They're like something you'd get from ChatGPT.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The only thing I’m annoyed at here is, like, name the games, board game stuff isn’t helpful if you don’t name the games! Are you playing Raiders or Scythia? Monopoly? Betrayal in one of its many variants? Wizwar?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Cloacamazing! posted:

Of course then we get to "I refuse to play games my elementary school kid can't play", which... says a lot about the type of games Mookie considers "require bluffing and/or strategy at the level of a military commander".

I think it's because he wants to play them with his son, and it's more "does my kid like this enough to learn about it even if it's complicated" rather then "a child has to be able to fully understand this game."

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
What games require you to "physically destroy the game and its pieces"?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Emrikol posted:

The "Legacy" series of games - Risk Legacy, Pandemic Legacy, etc.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Breetai posted:

Snout is the fantasy of how mookie wishes everyone would treat him when he acts stupid and annoying.

I have been tiptoeing around this realization for a while and I appreciate you coming out and just saying it

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The "Legacy" series of games - Risk Legacy, Pandemic Legacy, etc.

... Legacy of Dominic Deegan...

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Throughout most of the blog post, Mookie shares that when doesn't gel with a game, it sounds as if he isn't afraid to let his displeasure known. Like he's crossing his arms, refusing to engage with anyone and sulking like a child who just wants a chore to be done with. Which has to be really annoying for the people playing with him. But then the last 2/3rd of the post takes a swerve into how the most important thing about a board game is whether his kid will like playing it.

I dunno if it's intentional but it's kinda funny how Mookie uses his kid as an excuse for him behaving childishly when playing with his friends.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

a cartoon duck posted:

controversially, i think blog posts should be off limits for the thread before it crosses the webddog threshold, as people are already declaring their hatred for the man for having the wrong opinions on search algorithms and board games
Yeah I agree. Unless they have any insights into the comic or, like, relevance to the work at hand. Otherwise the thread is being weird and stalkery after passing the "bitch eating crackers" line by doing this.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

To put it back on track to the comic, I'm not sure what conflict Arudak and Jacob can even have. Maybe Arudak went to Jacob years ago to ask for his help to resurrect his dead GF but he refused? To which, :lol: because Arudak gave up on that quest too easily.

Then again, I fully expect this "conflict" to last a couple pages of them shouting at each other until Snout looks as his DEAF patch and makes them feel bad for leaving him out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hostile V posted:

Yeah I agree. Unless they have any insights into the comic or, like, relevance to the work at hand. Otherwise the thread is being weird and stalkery after passing the "bitch eating crackers" line by doing this.

Yeah. His blog posts are pretty low effort, sure, but picking them apart is pointless unless they get really bizarre or have an insight into the comic itself. I've only been skimming them since the first few.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I would put it this way - making fun of his writing and content is perfectly fine. These are things he is doing professionally. As long as it doesn't cross over to pure abuse, I think it's cool.

Making fun of the man is probably where you need to watch out. I make an exception for when he does something really egregious, like his recent post on compliments he got from queer people where the whole thing was really bizarre.

And finally, don't go dumpster diving. If it's on the main website, cool. If you're going through his forum posts on some other place, you're webdogging it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
i wonder if mookie asked his friends for help with these games or suggested something more casual or if he just sat there during these sessions, doing the bare minimum

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Don't forget that sometimes the context and meaning of comic updates are explained on his Twitter instead of the comic itself.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Emrikol posted:

Don't forget that sometimes the context and meaning of comic updates are explained on his Twitter instead of the comic itself.

Yeah this has come up multiple times when his actions are so poorly conveyed

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's hard to ignore his blog posts and tweets that are all linked to and even promoting the comic, especially when you sometimes can't tell what's going on without them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

amigolupus posted:

Throughout most of the blog post, Mookie shares that when doesn't gel with a game, it sounds as if he isn't afraid to let his displeasure known. Like he's crossing his arms, refusing to engage with anyone and sulking like a child who just wants a chore to be done with. Which has to be really annoying for the people playing with him. But then the last 2/3rd of the post takes a swerve into how the most important thing about a board game is whether his kid will like playing it.

I dunno if it's intentional but it's kinda funny how Mookie uses his kid as an excuse for him behaving childishly when playing with his friends.

I mean, I have friends whose reaction to performing badly in a video game is to complain and whine. Usually they are cognisant of that and just can't help themselves. It still makes it annoying to play together with, and I could see a wider friend group breaking down into smaller groups based off chemistry, excluding them in the process. If anything, being able to recognise that, accepting it for being what it is and not being bitter about it is about as mature a way as one could handle it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Emrikol posted:

Gloomhaven as well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The makers of Gloomhaven at least realized that some people might want to play the game with different groups of people and made sticker sheets so you don't have to physically damage the game.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Dabir posted:

I bought a new board game recently, it's called Camel Up. It's about betting on a camel race. It's pretty fun, rounds are short but sweet, there's a nice kinetic aspect because the dice are rolled via a big plastic pyramid and the camels can stack onto each other and then get carried along. And when you unfold the board, there's a big pop-up palm tree. Mookie would probably like it.

This post took me thirty seconds to write and only that long because I'm on a bus getting shaken around

This sounds like a really fun game

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:words:

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
AAAAAAAHHHHHH

I hate it, awesome

Edit: Snout status: naked

Baller Ina fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 10, 2023

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Mookie teamed Snout up with a bunch of wizards so that there'd be characters who could do things in the only way Mookie is comfortable having his protagonists do things (magic), but that raises the need to explain why they can't just magic the plot of the current chapter to its conclusion, so they have to perpetually be in places where their magic doesn't work properly.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

happy friday / welcome to the weekend if you're in aus/nz

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

For someone who is curious, he sure needs everything explicitly spelled out to him.

And of course, Mookie has already abandoned the poorly set up tension of the last comic.

Edit: Did mookie come up with the first panels idea and then realize for that to be true he already needs to retcon things?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The only new things here are the idea that the Wild Edge has a connection to the realm beyond dreams, and that Lake Aroa calms the siren vine. Everything else – the vines, Kaianda, their connection to the realm beyond dreams, a dream ritual, a Wild Edge magic mishap during said ritual – all of that was done in the previous chapter when they came to the Wild Edge and met Jacob. Not one single bit of that is new. They did it already. That is literally what happened in the previous chapter.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

lmao he can't even rush to the ending because it's barely been a story

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Every great exposition dump starts with "Anyway, "

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
But why was the note discreetly passed to Snout in her hat? It's like the art and the text were done separately. Like it was setting up for a dramatic or ominous message, but then it's just a page Ink Witch uses to talk to him and catch him up on what's going on.

Like, the previous page was set up like it was going to say something like "We can't trust Jacob/Arudak, I'll explain when we're alone", but then Mookie's broken narrative instincts put a stop to it.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 10, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Seriously, why is he still naked? Snout already displayed that he knows some social cues before when he was afraid people would see his boner, so why's he still standing naked in public?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Did they figure this all out in the last 5 minutes, or did they already know this? This JUST happened, and they JUST got there.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Seriously, this is just Mookie saying to the readers "something more interesting happened over here, but I'm just going to summarize it so you can get more of my dreamy psychedelic doodles with my characters pasted on top. No, you don't get to see it. Stop asking."

Having stuff happen off screen can be a valuable story telling device, since it helps establish a bigger scope. But it works best when what we're seeing is actually interesting.

This would be like the Hunt for Red October except instead of watching Jack Ryan, we watch his wife stay at home. And then he comes back and is like "yeah, this Russian sub defected and I helped bring them into the US!'

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I hate how this is framed like, 'here's how this affects our quest!' and not about Corpsemommy and how affects her/how she feels about it/what she's going through dealing with all this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did they figure this all out in the last 5 minutes, or did they already know this? This JUST happened, and they JUST got there.

Time off camera is fluid and relative. Only Snout exists in a truly linear timeline.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Every great exposition dump starts with "Anyway, "

Anyway, for 200 years you have been asking "Who is Dominic Deegan?"

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The paper said 200 years, but nobody ever questioned the age of the paper itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

lmao he can't even rush to the ending because it's barely been a story

Wait, Legacy's seriously ending? After months of barely any plot?