Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's German gamedads is my theory which is why we don't hear about it as much in English speaking forums/gaming sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Only Kindness posted:

...and they don't even have a roadmap or design document to get them there, and backers think that's a good thing because, and this is a near-quote I vaguely recall, "a design document just holds you back".

But then again, that is backers in a nutshell. What's the backer signoff shibboleth?

"Keep On Doing What You're Doing."

When "what you're doing" is "completely failing to make a game".

That's why in year 11 they decided it's just time to add in rpg stats.

Why not?!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

FishMcCool posted:

Gotta love the massive tech debt mountain from the old engine and that collection of random features implemented by different teams, which likely makes each new feature progressively more time consuming to add because it breaks more and more stuff that they then need to fix. And so the updates get smaller and smaller.

They not only get smaller and smaller (from a standpoint of "meaningful things meaningfully added") but they also get fuckier and less stable *when* implemented, break more things *behind* them (3.18 has killed train service and elevator functionality multiple times in PTU), and have more inconsistent timelines. And when I say 'more inconsistent' this is acknowledging that their timetables for functionality release started out sometimes having been off by 9 years

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Personally I think they should just keep on doing what they're doing.

Because backer sanity is not a renewable resource. There's a lot of it, yes, they have put up with this clown show for over a decade. Something explosive will happen eventually.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Only Kindness posted:

Personally I think they should just keep on doing what they're doing.

ironically ... i actually think this as well. i have no expectation of them being able to reform overnight or unfuck Star Citizen as a project but i want other more competent developers to look at how desperately loving horny people are for open world spacecraft poo poo and start their own large studio projects

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mellow_ posted:

Just saw this on Reddit, loving lmao.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/10xton3/my_dream_came_true_it_grew_from_a_single_after/

SC looks like complete garbage compared to this.

Looking at that post, there's a bunch of people claiming it's an asset store scam. Chris wins again.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

phosdex posted:

Looking at that post, there's a bunch of people claiming it's an asset store scam. Chris wins again.

even if it is it still looks better than SC.... lol.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

phosdex posted:

If that's true, :rubby: that an asset store scam looks more entertaining than SC

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think the success or failure of Starfield will likely be more of a guiding light for other studios (who aren't indies doing their dreams), to gauge appetite for this type of thing.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

We’ve already had the ultimate “space is huge huh?”game, it’s called Elite: Dangerous and it’s loving boring.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

colonelwest posted:

We’ve already had the ultimate “space is huge huh?”game, it’s called Elite: Dangerous and it’s loving boring.

It's funny to me because they really could do -so much more- with the game. But instead they want to cater to grognards who can't stand the idea of games moving beyond the 1990's or accessibility of play.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Popete posted:

It's German gamedads is my theory which is why we don't hear about it as much in English speaking forums/gaming sites.

Kinda but no? It's a small subsection of Space Sim German Gamedads that get hyped up by one gaming print magazine (Gamestar). I have a coworker who heavily was into SC but doesn't trust it anymore either

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

"y no swim"

quote:

NOT THE SWIM I WAS EXPECTING

https://v.redd.it/b2f9fb1i81ha1/DASH_1080.mp4

Citizens answer OP:

quote:

It's not a choice to not have swimming, they just don't need it yet so they haven't built it. Never as easy as you hope it would be though.

quote:

I don't know why we still have to say this every day, but here we go. It's an alpha and the feature you are requesting is not important to the development at the moment. Star Citizen is a Space sim, so swimming in water is (while probably beeing important somewhere far in the future) not as important as many other featues, like for example the movement of a player in space.

quote:

Well star citizen is a game still under development and swimming is not in game yet. Now we have New World a finished game and still doesn't have swimming, or Squad a game been around years and they have put swimming yet

quote:

Yeah swimming isn't a high priority feature

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Unfortunately swimming must take a backseat for the revolutionary new bed sheet deformation technology that is essential to the game.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Mellow_ posted:

Unfortunately swimming must take a backseat for the revolutionary new bed sheet deformation technology that is essential to the game.

Stop being sarcastic, CIG alreay explained that it's essential cause the bedsheets deforming in a realistic way makes everything more dramatic when the janitor betrays everyone letting the Vanduuls attack your ship.
You and your teammates will be roused by the general alarm and must quickly don your flight suits to scramble and defend the fleet.
Then the camera will pan to your beds and linger over the messy sheets, a symbol of how fleeting peace can be...

Another masterpiece of environmental storytelling from CR. :trustme:

Taxxe:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Had a look at the RSI Progress Tracker. I like it, very CIG. Confusing, useless, redundant, void of any meaningful content, makes me feel oddly bad in a way I can't quite explain.

I guess server meshing isn't quite done yet. Heard that's gonna be a real game-changer. At least, that's what they were saying in 2017.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

*checks decade+ old Crysis videos*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doypdDo7Ft0

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

eXXon posted:

*checks decade+ old Crysis videos*

It's sort of amazing how bad they can make the Crysis engine look sometimes. Like that texture and model work in the non-swimming work just look straight up bad for like five years ago, and the bland lighting and skybox really isn't doing anything any favors.

Also is them working bed sheet deformation an SA in-joke or is that actually one of the "major" things there working on at the moment?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Also is them working bed sheet deformation an SA in-joke or is that actually one of the "major" things there working on at the moment?

You already know the answer

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

dr_rat posted:

Yep.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lol, amazing. Just the type of feature that will tie everything together, obvious.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

"y no swim"

Citizens answer OP:

Knowing it's CIG, I shouldn't have been making disapproving sounds at the wobbly water effect being applied to the HUD as well. But I did.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZW6zxYwmk

13 minutes of concept art and nothing else, peak CIG game development

Ah yeah, it's time for their Valentine's Day event, which means ship sale and pink paintjobs. Sadly, backers need to hide their true passion from their spouses, but perhaps gifting them pink spaceship would soften their hearts.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 10, 2023

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://giant.gfycat.com/UnawareEqualBrocketdeer.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

New Journey to 4.0 Interior Design
TLDR VERSION

Dat outfit.

Ok so, here's how they're going about building interiors...

They talk about the blue sky phase, which is "where initial ideas and concepts are created through a combination of brainstorming and concept design. The goal of the Blue Sky stage is to create a vision with enough detail to be able to explain, present, and sell it to others." Which is totally what you'd expect to be doing in a decade old project. :nyan:

CIG guy says "we created inpirational material to inspire conversations, to find out what do we want to do for the game, what is cool for the game" an this is what they'll be showing us.
He also syas they show all this stuff to Chris and the game director, confirming CR is still micromanaging everything. :trustme:

Anyway, look at all the stuff that's totally coming for each building!

"the lower levels could maybe act as a connector between buildings, if you enter a building, go down then it could ring you to another part of the building" Wow.

CIG guy says that up until now they've just designed buildings as a backdrop to landing zones, to "have the best composition" or "be interesting to fly around", before they "never thought to design these buildings from the inside out".
The lack of direction is blatant, and they show it without any worry.

CIG guy shows "several potential concepts"

Look, here's some concept art of "potential gameplay puzzles" where players "have to work their way inside the main operation boot".

Exploring ideas and concepts for different achitectural styles, this'd inform "future player habitation habs" or maybe "you'd find it on Terra".
As if any of those exist...lol

I'm then skipping around because this is basically 15 mins of CIG guy showing concept art for each level and saying "this'd influence gameplay or traversal opportunities".

CiG guy reiterates that from "initial investigation we've found our buildings are quite small" so every existing city will have to change and get bigger to fit their ideas for interiors.
Existing skylines will change cause "we're designing the inside of the buildings and then we'll redo the architecture to fit to that so I think it's going to be super positive for the game"...yeah, nothing like doing things backwards!

BUT WAIT!

CIG guy says "just in case you were thinking it's all just blue sky concepts actually we're gonna start full production on these spaces right at the end of this quarter"

:lmao: :laffo:

He says it and makes this face right after, so convincing!

"soooo what did we learn this week?"

Oh gently caress off Jared.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 10, 2023

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Toops posted:

Had a look at the RSI Progress Tracker. I like it, very CIG. Confusing, useless, redundant, void of any meaningful content, makes me feel oddly bad in a way I can't quite explain.

I guess server meshing isn't quite done yet. Heard that's gonna be a real game-changer. At least, that's what they were saying in 2017.

Hey Toops

They've made a buggy racetrack that looks just like the old fan ones from the hangar module. Their wheels keep falling off.

Everything is still going round and round while on fire. It's hypnotic.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

[b]New Journey to 4.0 Interior Design

Hope they didn't spend more than an afternoon on this as this is like literally the most generic, what could we fill skyscrapers with ideas.
Didn't have a single afternoon to spare 10 years ago, or anytime in between. I swear high schoolers doing a group project are better at project planning.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'm more interested in - "soooo what did we the Feds learn this week?"

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I would put money on there being a person out there who started there first day of school on the same day as Chris lunched the Kickstarter, that now process more vision and better leadership skills than Chris does and would be the backers better hope of getting a finished product if put in charge.

I would back a 16 year old kid over Chris Roberts.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I've heard of this blue sky thing before, very recently. Was it in a popular news article? I'm wondering if star citizen heard of it the same time I did, which is why it's in this video, apparently being practiced at a totally inappropriate point of the process

Star citizen has a history of producing developer videos on concepts from 'introduction to game development' blogs published a week or two before the video, right?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol if they follow through with any of this, our grandchildren will be playing the Beta in their retirement homes.

I’m glad they’re committing to redoing all of their cities. This was a dream from like 6-7 years ago? when all the cities were supposed to be teaming with millions of life-like NPCs. And you could not tip your bartender and then follow him home through blocks of fully realized buildings, and watch him yell at his wife and kids because his day sucked, then watch him log into space Reddit and join a sub called Make the UEE Great Again, because he’s now disgruntled and alienated from the system.

I just assumed at this point that they would leave their Potemkin Village landing zones pretty much as they are, other than occasional frantic attempts to upgrade the graphics. It seems like they’re casting around for whatever they can add into the game, and more boring space malls and space apartments will definitely be a worthwhile addition.

Though I doubt the engine can handle any more interior spaces, and there are probably good reasons that the landing zones are all just 2 or 3 small/empty levels connected by train rides. So this will all probably be worked on for a few years and then thrown down the same memory hole as professional sataball careers.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 10, 2023

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Citizens are really pumped to see these building interiors sometime in 2043.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

CIG guy says "we created inpirational material to inspire conversations, to find out what do we want to do for the game, what is cool for the game" an this is what they'll be showing us.
He also syas they show all this stuff to Chris and the game director, confirming CR is still micromanaging everything. :trustme:

Anyway, look at all the stuff that's totally coming for each building!

"the lower levels could maybe act as a connector between buildings, if you enter a building, go down then it could ring you to another part of the building" Wow.

I remember when this was a space game. I wonder what happened to that concept.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Now I’m very hopeful we will see the improved Lorville this year, including new building interiors.

We just need server meshing and my life as a middle manager in an office building inside Star Citizen will be fully realized

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

All I can say is that this better be the lead up to the reveal of MASSIVE cityships, of such a colossal size that they dwarf everything outside of actual planets.

And you too can own your own cityship complete with an entire AI population to lord over for the low, low payment of 100 easy payments of $10,000.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

Lol if they follow through with any of this, our grandchildren will be playing the Beta in their retirement homes.

I’m glad they’re committing to redoing all of their cities. This was a dream from like 6-7 years ago? when all the cities were supposed to be teaming with millions of life-like NPCs. And you could not tip your bartender and then follow him home through blocks of fully realized buildings, and watch him yell at his wife and kids because his day sucked, then watch him log into space Reddit and join a sub called Make the UEE Great Again, because he’s now disgruntled and alienated from the system.

I just assumed at this point that they would leave their Potemkin Village landing zones pretty much as they are, other than occasional frantic attempts to upgrade the graphics. It seems like they’re casting around for whatever they can add into the game, and more boring space malls and space apartments will definitely be a worthwhile addition.

Though I doubt the engine can handle any more interior spaces, and there are probably good reasons that the landing zones are all just 2 or 3 small/empty levels connected by train rides. So this will all probably be worked on for a few years and then thrown down the same memory hole as professional sataball careers.

you just spin up another server mesh you buffon

god.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRt1EY5t/

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Love the absolute dip in frame rate, almost a freeze, when he switches between the grids.

From the makers of next generation server meshing, that will be licensed to development studios all over the world.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Randalor posted:

All I can say is that this better be the lead up to the reveal of MASSIVE cityships, of such a colossal size that they dwarf everything outside of actual planets.

And you too can own your own cityship complete with an entire AI population to lord over for the low, low payment of 100 easy payments of $10,000.

This better come with space simcity gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

"y no swim"

Citizens answer OP:

This is basically what we have been saying all along.

The focus is 110% on graphics... functionality takes a deep deep back seat. :)

It's been years of developing the graphics for a river, but the river as a gameplay aspect hasn't even been considered or the first line of code even written- and it may never be written.

Can you use a river graphic is a cgi movie? Yes!

Does the river need to have any gameplay at all in your cgi movie? No. :)

Do you even need to go in the water to imply to your users that you have fully functional rivers? Also no. :)

Cig is super good at showing something graphically and then the insinuation is that it works because it looks so good. Who would spend so much time making something look so good if it didn't work like it looks like it should?

So cig has rivers in the same way that Big Rigs has rivers, in that it is just graphical but it is not actually there.

Nobody cares. It's the thought that counts. :)