Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barbaria is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t0RsgSb9oE
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5296016923775393/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Super Foul Egg posted:

I could use less of me, as long as it works in EU region.

If it doesn't work for this Eurogoon, I'd love it, wife and I were just looking at that like yesterday.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Harminoff posted:

Does gorilla tag make revenue from selling hats??

I had my SO give it a go last night while casting. Went in the lobby, had one kid that was super helpful.

Another kid was just following her around "wanna buy a hat? You need to get a hat! You get them OVER HERE!!!!!!"

Good in game marketing you got there lol.

Yeah, Lemming makes them bucks.

They were at 26 million in revenue or something when they got approved for the oculus main store. No idea what they could be at now.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Super Foul Egg posted:

I could use less of me, as long as it works in EU region.

sent you a PM!

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

What's it like? Sounds like it could be a fun longer term game to play. I've only really dabbled in sandboxes and narrative stuff so far.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Teratrain posted:

What's it like? Sounds like it could be a fun longer term game to play. I've only really dabbled in sandboxes and narrative stuff so far.

I don't know, but UploadVR also liked it.
https://uploadvr.com/barbaria-quest-2-review/

It looks decent, but I wonder about enemy variety.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Vertigo seems to be having an up to 90% off sale.
Arizona Sunshine, After the Fall, Fishermans Tale

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/vertigogames/sale/publisherweekend2023

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The VR Museum of Fine Art is free on Steam and it's pretty cool, obviously not the Louvre but it's worth a look if you're not familiar with it already

There's also The Kremer Collection which is $10 on steam, but is free right now through the oculus desktop app for some reason.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is the upcoming Quest 3 supposed to have an entirely new chip, or just a retune of the same chip that is in the Quest 1, Quest 2, and Quest Pro? That thing is long, long in the tooth at this point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hughmoris posted:

Is the upcoming Quest 3 supposed to have an entirely new chip, or just a retune of the same chip that is in the Quest 1, Quest 2, and Quest Pro? That thing is long, long in the tooth at this point.

They’re supposedly working with Qualcomm directly on the XR3. Also the Quest and Quest 2 are different chips, Snapdragon 745 and 865 respectively.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

They’re supposedly working with Qualcomm directly on the XR3. Also the Quest and Quest 2 are different chips, Snapdragon 745 and 865 respectively.

Quest is 835. Quest 2 is XR2 (based on 865)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh yeah I think I was thinking of the Logitech G-Cloud except that has a 720. I'm assuming the XR3 will be based off the Gen 8 chips, else what the gently caress are we doing?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/hmltn/status/1623857470425690117

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Always a winning strategy to demand money from the few people talking about your products.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Always a winning strategy to demand money from the few people talking about your products.

I mean... it is the the leaker who demanded money. I don't think the leaker considered the VR headset as 'his/her product'

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 10, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't know, but UploadVR also liked it.
https://uploadvr.com/barbaria-quest-2-review/

It looks decent, but I wonder about enemy variety.

It is cross buy, that makes me think on buying it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

OgNar posted:

Vertigo seems to be having an up to 90% off sale.
Arizona Sunshine, After the Fall, Fishermans Tale

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/vertigogames/sale/publisherweekend2023

After the Fall is only 15€, and it had some content updates over the last year, however I'm reading at this point the lobbies are mostly empty.

Their adventure games, Maskmaker and A Fisherman's Tale are pretty decent and are super cheap, around 4€ each.

Have anyone played Skyworld? It's cheap too
https://store.steampowered.com/app/342190/Skyworld/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Rebuff Reality's doing a sale at the moment, and VR Ears are down to $49USD. I've got nothing but good things to say about my set, so if you want some quality off-ear audio to mount to your VR headset and don't have an Index or Reverb G2, they're not a bad way to go.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Teratrain posted:

It's pretty great. I've been playing it through nearly all of its early access. It's asynchronous multiplayer so you're playing solo with up to 3 AI minions of your choice and attacking bases built by other players - the base exists in the cloud and the other player doesn't have to be online. Defeating a base consists of grabbing and squeezing crystals on the traps and minion spawners until they pop, all while the base's minions are attacking you and traps you haven't disabled yet are firing on you. Pop all the crystals and you can move on to the next room, clear all the rooms to win. You earn Violence to spend on upgrading your own base, its traps and minions, and your and your minions' weapons. You start with one room in your base and unlock up to 4 and get to pick what traps and minions go in each room and where they go and what weapons your minions are carrying if any. It takes awhile to unlock everything and it's never stopped being fun for me even after fully unlocking and upgrading everything. Can't wait to find the time to try out the new hero and minion.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 10, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hopped into Barbaria and have to agree that it's very good fun. It takes a little bit of getting used to your arms being longer than your actual arms and getting damage completely stunning you, but after a few rounds it becomes second nature. I've not yet unlocked very much stuff, but it already seems like you can do a whole lot of fun stuff. Lopping off an imp's head, catching it it in midair, and then yeeting it at a skeleton never gets old.

I do have two petty gripes, though. For one, there doesn't seem to be a grip toggle, which already annoyed me to no end in Bonelab. After a while my fingers just get fatigued having to hold down the triggers all the time, and it's easy for your weapon to accidentally slip from your grasp during big movements. Secondly, there doesn't seem to be a left-handed option. It's a fairly minor thing, but it does get annoying only being able to draw your starting weapon with your offhand and having to switch it at the beginning of every single round.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems we have a good month. Obviously, the PSVR2 release. But beyond that, Barbaria seems liked, Drop Dead the Cabin next week,The Light Brigade also looks good and it will be out on Feb 22, Per Aspera is out in Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88s0CXSB98o

-PowerBeats is on the official store now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccaydzmBqs

-Ancient Dungeon is now crossbuy on the Meta environment

-and v50 for Quest brings 'direct touch' panels for the UI
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/10ynwlj/new_in_v50_direct_touch_panels/

edit: this video may be interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJpwMoPDPw

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 10, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turin Turambar posted:

It seems we have a good month. Obviously, the PSVR2 release. But beyond that, Barbaria seems liked, Drop Dead the Cabin next week,The Light Brigade also looks good and it will be out on Feb 22, Per Aspera is out in Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88s0CXSB98o

This is a weird rear end game to release in VR, you're gonna be zoomed out at a high level looking at what is effectively a 2D map most of the game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I tried Grimlord demo on Steam using the Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop.

Had struggles. Some of it is the limitations of the Quest controllers, and how tracking disappears at extreme angles, etc. That really gets in the way of holstering, etc sometimes. Can see how this would be a lot better with the fancy Quest Pro controllers which don't care about such things.

The other thing was that all the weapon handling felt pretty... laggy and clunky for lack of a better term. I'll have to try with my Index to see if it plays any different.

This isn't the first time a game handles kind of like rear end when using Quest -> Steam via VD. It almost seems like games sometimes don't agree on how to handle controller types, or decide on which way is "up". For example, the gun cleaning rod and brush are at weird angles in Into the Radius, etc. Like, stuff is functional but it also feels bad and weird at the same time that it's technically "working".

It's only recently occurred to me that maybe I'm asking too much of my old machine and so-so video card :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

I mean... it is the the leaker who demanded money. I don't think the leaker considered the VR headset as 'his/her product'

The "3rd party leaker" would have been some engineer grunt from a Chinese manufacturer / prototyper most likely, looking to make a quick buck and not minding that Meta would immediately know it was their company who leaked if if not that person specifically. Must have had an axe to grind.

Meta sending those emails confirms the leaks were real (they looked like legit paid CAD work to me certainly).

LOL at this Alex Heath guy bloviating "oh well paying a source is questionable journalism, I wouldn't do that and neither would a self-respecting newsroom", no poo poo sherlock it's a leaker selling info to some zoomer weeaboo on Twitter, we weren't expecting Pulitzer-grade integrity. Newspapers are dead if you hadn't got the memo, cry about it I guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Traditional press getting pissy when a Youtuber scoops them is endlessly hilarious. You saw it when EVGA left the GPU market and Gamers Nexus were the ones who got to break it and the rest of the tech press made a big show of oh well you can’t trust this story because it didn’t come through the REAL journalists.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Google's Arts & Culture app on my phone is pretty neat in that you can wave your phone around to look at art pieces in a phone-based AR kind of way, the neat part being that the artwork can be shown as though it were floating in e.g. your living room, and at life size. You can walk up and lean in close, etc.

Having that in VR would be absolutely fantastic. Imagine getting art history tours and poo poo in that way, or even just browse content from real museums. The phone is so limited, but I can see the potential.

I’ll definitely check that out. It will work with my phone.

The Kremer Collection on PCVR wet my appetite. Big collection of dutch master paintings in high detail.

In the VR tour, I was staring at Michael Sweerts “A Young Maidservant” for a long time. Lifelike portrait of a beautiful girl that lived almost 400 years ago. She would have been forgotten by time had she not been immortalized in an outstanding painting.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

When they put a bunch of 'tour modes' in Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey to showcase all the work they did recreating ancient Egypt and Greece without having to worry about being stabbed by a mercenary I wished there were some way of getting a vr dual-camera view out of the game in some way.

Loved the egypt discovery tour. Visiting Alexanders tomb as Julius Caesar is a delight for a history geek. SW them all. The Odyssey one not quite as good though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I bought Barbaria, here it's my referral link
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/5296016923775393/?utm_source=2

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ChocNitty posted:

I’ll definitely check that out. It will work with my phone.

The Kremer Collection on PCVR wet my appetite. Big collection of dutch master paintings in high detail.

In the VR tour, I was staring at Michael Sweerts “A Young Maidservant” for a long time. Lifelike portrait of a beautiful girl that lived almost 400 years ago. She would have been forgotten by time had she not been immortalized in an outstanding painting.

Dunno if it’s been mentioned but Art Plunge is super neat though needs more content. 3d recreations of some renaissance classics that are well done

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So i'm selling my friends Rift for him, and had to set it up and test it. Coming from a Quest 2, and holy poo poo, it sucks.

I'm having to use music sheet stands and whatever the gently caress I can find around my house to place the sensors in the proper height and position. The software is so picky with how they need to be set. I had to buy an expensive cable to give up the single HDMI port my GPU has and have my monitor connect to a display port. I'm having to sit far away from the desk so the sensors catch me.

Then I put the headset on, and i'm struck with the screen door effect. But the real deal breaker are these horrible vertical black lines caused by the lenses overlapping, and the internet's solution is, get used to it, your brain will forget it's there.

And anytime there's a high contrast image like white letters and a black background, there's hardcore god rays around it. Plus no pass through. Cables everywhere. I can see why he lost interest in VR and didn't even finish Alyx. I'm surprised people are still buying these.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ChocNitty posted:

and have my monitor connect to a display port.

Thank him for moving you to the current standard.

Also yeah. poo poo sucks. I've tried to use my CV1 a few times since hardware has gotten better and its a joke how caveman it feels now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's so comfortable though, nothing else has come close to matching it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The CV1 still rules for comfort and controller design, but that screendoor is rough on it, and the cables are so drat fragile

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The CV1 still rules for comfort and controller design, but that screendoor is rough on it, and the cables are so drat fragile

If the optics were better, or I could somehow easily upgrade them, I'd use it still.

But even my vive pro ruined going back to it. Things like the pico, quest 2? Its such a wild flash back to caveman vr tech. XD

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
My needs for immersiveness got met a few years ago. It was screen door effect, solved around quest 2 times, and wireless, which was solved pretty much at that time. Everything from here on out is gravy, (but sorry ps5 vr :negative:)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Quest 2 has high enough pixel density that I really can't see any screen door effect anymore, and things are quite easily readable, if a little blurry because of the limitations of display tech (screen door is gone but you still have less pixels in a certain arc than you would on a screen further from your eyes).

I don't know exactly what I can do to get that level of pixel density with a wider FoV besides buying a loving Pimax. Valve Index ain't it though, because while it does have better FoV, the resolution is significantly lower than the Quest 2. Here's hoping the Quest 3 will have better FoV.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know for sure but I have a big suspicion that the Quest 3 will finally be the one that gets me all Zucced up and peels me away from my Index. But then I'll probably be compelled to ebay the wife's quest 2 and upgrade both of us.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know for sure but I have a big suspicion that the Quest 3 will finally be the one that gets me all Zucced up and peels me away from my Index. But then I'll probably be compelled to ebay the wife's quest 2 and upgrade both of us.

Quest 3 with Quest Pro controllers is probably the ideal zucc setup, since you'll have wireless connectivity, pancake lenses, better pixel density, a generally lighter headset, and also 7-8 hours of battery life on rechargable controllers with no occlusion.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Has there been any word on what the stock controllers will be? Wondering if there’s a possibility they’ll be in line with the pro controllers without mixing & matching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
The pro controllers are really expensive so I’d expect something similar to quest 2 controllers.