Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
As a button user in curtain call, in fms stages the game would often misinterpret you continuing to follow the hold trail as part of the end input for holds that ended in directions. Having two sticks fixes this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LuckyCat posted:

:drat:

I'm going to play this video game for the first time and I am quite excited.
Me too :hfive:

Well, I played it briefly 20 years ago when a friend stayed over at my house and brought his GameCube with him, but I never finished it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LuckyCat posted:

Same! very excited. (When it gets a physical release next week or the week after. (I know they said feb 22 but the pre orders are saying shipping next week).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LuckyCat posted:

I am in the same boat.

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023
Recent switch play:

1. Metroid Prime holds up really well, didn't plan on getting the remaster but I had enough MS Rewards bucks to get it through that. I never finished it on Gamecube, glad to be playing it from the start, I don't remember most of it, it's been a long time. The new controls are nice, has bumper jumping by default which is very useful. I'm using default controls + gyro.

2. Playing Wario Land 3 on NSO, infuriating game, I used to hate this game and still do, but the rewind feature makes it playable. It's full of a lot of good ideas, and it's a great looking game, but wow, it has 0 respect for the players time. Most times you get hit by an enemy, you either get knocked off a platform that will take you 20 seconds to get back up, or you get transformed into a Wario form you don't want and it takes time to get back to regular Wario.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm in the middle, in that I did play Prime as a kid but got stuck a couple hours in like a little idiot. I'm looking forward to actually playing it later this year! Backlog is a bit too big to grab it now, but it's on the wishlist.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

It’s possible that TOTK is simply $70 because they couldn’t fit it on a 16GB cart and not indicative of some larger shift wrt pricing.
Nintendo PR responded to requests for comment about the $70 price by saying that all first-party pricing is "on a case-by-case basis". Read into that as you will.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pikmin 4, which comes out after TOTK is also priced at $60 so I think it’s just gonna be something they look to do with their “premium” titles and not just a blanket change for all mainline first party titles.

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023

The Kins posted:

Nintendo PR responded to requests for comment about the $70 price by saying that all first-party pricing is "on a case-by-case basis". Read into that as you will.

Definitely feels like the next 3d Mario and Animal Crossing will be $70, at least.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

1upmuffin posted:

2. Playing Wario Land 3 on NSO, infuriating game, I used to hate this game and still do, but the rewind feature makes it playable. It's full of a lot of good ideas, and it's a great looking game, but wow, it has 0 respect for the players time. Most times you get hit by an enemy, you either get knocked off a platform that will take you 20 seconds to get back up, or you get transformed into a Wario form you don't want and it takes time to get back to regular Wario.

Fair warning, South Area is gonna have a lot of this. S1 has repurchased drunk status "dizzy" status above obscured pitfalls, S2 has fishes that force you to roll in the main area, S3 is literally a climb up using different statuses, and S4 has river currents. I don't recall S5 having this issue, and S6 is optional for game completion (in that you don't have to even unlock it to beat the game normally).

Other stages where it can get egregious: W2, W3, W4, W5, N4-N6, E2, E4, E5, E7. Last two are also optional stages, but trust me they are worth a look over.

And if you think some treasures are bad, try getting the 8 big coins per level. All in one go only to get the completion tick.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

1upmuffin posted:

Definitely feels like the next 3d Mario and Animal Crossing will be $70, at least.

Probably, but also IGN just broke it down that this is the largest switch game ever, so the SD card being different (I believe they ship most games on 16 gig cards) is part of the cost. The new game is 18.1 gigs, versus 14 something, which is standard for the bigger switch games. (BOTW was 14. something gigs).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Prime has no business looking as drat good as it does. How the gently caress did they pull this off on old rear end hardware? :psyduck:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ice Pick Lodge, makers of Patholgic, made another game! It was pretty good. They're porting it to Switch so buy it and play it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ACQxWbZq8

e: Metroid Prime Remastered is the Halo Anniversary of Nintendo lol. Looks great but it looks like they overdid it in places, like how much the cannon pulses

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 10, 2023

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023

widespread posted:

Fair warning, South Area is gonna have a lot of this. S1 has repurchased drunk status "dizzy" status above obscured pitfalls, S2 has fishes that force you to roll in the main area, S3 is literally a climb up using different statuses, and S4 has river currents. I don't recall S5 having this issue, and S6 is optional for game completion (in that you don't have to even unlock it to beat the game normally).

Other stages where it can get egregious: W2, W3, W4, W5, N4-N6, E2, E4, E5, E7. Last two are also optional stages, but trust me they are worth a look over.

And if you think some treasures are bad, try getting the 8 big coins per level. All in one go only to get the completion tick.

I just got to South Area, glad I have a lot of Wario Land 3 BS to look forward to there. Seriously though, no way I'd play more of this if I wasn't using rewind every few seconds, I just don't have the patience. I do appreciate what it's going for though, which makes me want to see more of it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

1upmuffin posted:

I just got to South Area, glad I have a lot of Wario Land 3 BS to look forward to there. Seriously though, no way I'd play more of this if I wasn't using rewind every few seconds, I just don't have the patience. I do appreciate what it's going for though, which makes me want to see more of it.

Yeah, for every instance of "gently caress you go back", there's a few curious lookin' spots that'll open up later on.

That said, watch for rocks just before the first treasure in S1.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

LionArcher posted:

Probably, but also IGN just broke it down that this is the largest switch game ever, so the SD card being different (I believe they ship most games on 16 gig cards) is part of the cost. The new game is 18.1 gigs, versus 14 something, which is standard for the bigger switch games. (BOTW was 14. something gigs).

Something tells me the SD cards aren't each ten bucks more.

They're doing this because people will pay out the nose for the new Zelda, and because they see the other publishers doing it and want those profits.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Morpheus posted:

They're doing this because people will pay out the nose for the new Zelda, and because they see the other publishers doing it and want those profits.

Well yes of course, I'm just saying I am curious if it actually does effect production costs at such sales. (and clearly charging ten more makes up for it and then some).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

LuckyCat posted:

Youre so lucky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

SD card's don't really increment in small quantities, there are no "18.1GB" storage form factors. They're probably 32GB carts.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

Youre so lucky

I’ve been bereft of joy until now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Good news everyone Nintendo saw all your thoughts and criticisms on weapon durability and decided that the best course of action was that it should also apply to the master sword:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1623766185299873793

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

good now goons can never stop bitching +1

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

1upmuffin posted:

Recent switch play:

Coming into wario land 3 after the second one is especially rough because 3 withholds default wario land 2 abilities in the beginning. It gets much better after that though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm stoked that I can use a voucher that cost $40 to get the new Zelda, MSRP $70, in superior digital format. Took them long enough to bring the vouchers back.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Upsidads posted:

good now goons can never stop bitching +1

this will never happen no matter how good whatever media is.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I'd love to play Metroid Prime but I'm definitely waiting to get a cart in a case because that's how I like Nintendo games.

:same: though I've no doubt the temptation will grow stronger by the minute to download it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Game and Watch Gallery 3 is addictive as hell. I just played lovely arkanoid for two hours

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

how are you guys playing Metroid: Prime on Switch - normal dual stick, wii controls or the Splatoon-style motion controols? (or old school Gamecube controls like a psycho)

also is it a little dark or is it just my TV? like dark areas are drat near black

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
dual stick no gyro, feels great. spamming lock on is key

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Metroid Prime is a top 3 game of all time for me, I've been hoping for this exact kind of remaster forever, and it looks gorgeous. Easily one of the best looking Switch games. I'm overall incredibly happy.

Having said that... I think they went a little overboard with the brightness of the light on the arm cannon. It's kinda distracting and it's flashing in the corner for basically the entire game.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ok Nintendo now just let them port Metroid Prime to an actual VR headset

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Playing dual stick no gyro on Prime, feels fantastic. Game remains exceptional, and now it's the best looking game on Switch too. A must-own.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope they do Prime 2 as well, sanctuary fortress ftw

AndrewP posted:

how are you guys playing Metroid: Prime on Switch - normal dual stick, wii controls or the Splatoon-style motion controols? (or old school Gamecube controls like a psycho)

also is it a little dark or is it just my TV? like dark areas are drat near black

dual analog stick took some getting used to, I kept forgetting which buttons did what, but it felt great once I adjusted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I was curious and apparently the Metroid Prime remaster doesn't have a native Gamecube controller scheme for anyone with a GC controller and the smash adapter.

There are dozens of us I tell you, Retro! DOZENS! :negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I was curious and apparently the Metroid Prime remaster doesn't have a native Gamecube controller scheme for anyone with a GC controller and the smash adapter.

There are dozens of us I tell you, Retro! DOZENS! :negative:

what would stop it from working with the classic tank controls option?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LuckyCat posted:

:same: It shot up to the front of my backlog because I loved Dread so much.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

It's from the sequel but this is one of my favourite Metroid remixes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xqw2w6hPC4

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I tried out the Classic controls expecting it to be horrific and I was actually impressed at how well it works - the lock-on function was a pretty elegant solution.

It feels more like playing a mech game but it's certainly playable even today.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Good news everyone Nintendo saw all your thoughts and criticisms on weapon durability and decided that the best course of action was that it should also apply to the master sword:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1623766185299873793

This already happens in the first game, you can break it. The Master Sword regenerates though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just lost like half an hour of progress because I died :negative: These save rooms being few and far between kinda sucks haha

Otherwise, game's awesome so far!

e: Okay, I beat Flaahgra, time to stop playing for tonight.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 10, 2023