Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that mural rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

tazjin posted:

Yesterday afternoon I arrived in Grozny, the capital of Chechnya. As soon as you taxi off the runway, it's made very clear where you are:

We ordered a taxi through Yandex to get to our hotel, but after a couple of minutes the driver sent us a message saying "Order another car!". At the same time, Tagir - an older Chechen guy with a traditional hat - was trying to sell his taxi services to us: "500 rubles to the centre! I'm not scamming you, I swear!".

Not wanting to deal with more apps, we agreed to have Tagir drive us. On the way to his car we met Dima, a 20-something year old just standing around smoking. Apparently they knew each other, and Tagir invited him to ride along because they wanted to catch up. Dima is apparently not ethnically Chechen, and prefers to speak Russian over Chechen, so fortunately for us we could follow their conversation.

Dima had just come back from one of the Chechen units at the front. He'd fought in several of the towns that you've heard about if you follow the day-to-day frontline updates, and was now home because he'd been shot by a sniper in Bakhmut. He's injured, but feels fine, and has been asking his Voenkomat (military enlistment office) to be allowed to return to Kherson (for example, as an instructor) in order to see his brother who is currently deployed there. He claimed that the (presumably Ukrainian) sniper who shot him, who they later killed, was a woman.

We heard this story while driving down the Vladimir Putin Avenue ...

(Side note: Taking pictures from the taxi didn't quite work, so we went back later after the sun was already down to snap these.)

... and looking at some of the murals they arranged there.

The rest of the afternoon was mostly uneventful. Grozny is actually a pretty nice city, with different kinds of shops selling whatever your heart desires:

As a Muscovite, it's very noticeable that Grozny and the population of Chechnya are much more connected to what's going on at the moment than people in Moscow. You see some Zs and some art related to the war in Moscow, but it's nowhere near as present as it is here.

I want to get a feel for what people here are thinking. Lets see what happens today ...

Woah very interesting, thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thank you for the cool story

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
thats a pretty cool story thanks for sharing

also " Putin Team Russia" what a name for a store lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
putin some work for team russia bro

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

thats a pretty cool story thanks for sharing

also " Putin Team Russia" what a name for a store lol

I would walk into such a store and ask to see their finest winter jacket.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

DancingShade posted:

they actually have pretty nice winter jackets

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

No, I think Hersh oversimplifies and sees connections where he wants to and sources poorly. I don’t think Hersh is antisemitic. He’s Jewish himself. I think he misunderstood Clinton and assumes without evidence that she favored a hard line with Iran due to, in Hersh’s words, “Jewish money.” I think he’s wrong, and Clinton would still be anti-Iran absent any influence from any pro-Israel lobby and absent her being elected in New York, specifically.

He said (emphasis added):

https://www.democracynow.org/2007/10/2/seymour_hersh_white_house_intensifying_plans

I can think of a lot of reasons, from Clinton’s pretty hawkish background and history, why she would be anti-Iran even without being of a senator from New York.

quote:

AMY GOODMAN: Sy Hersh, I wanted to switch gears for the last question, and this has to do with it not just being Republicans who are sounding a drumbeat for war. The three leading Democratic presidential candidates — Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Edwards — have all declared no options off the table. This is a clip from last week’s Democratic debate. It was the day the Senate approved a controversial resolution calling on the State Department to designate the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps a terrorist organization. At the debate, Democratic presidential hopeful Mike Gravel bitterly criticized Hillary Clinton for voting in favor.

MIKE GRAVEL: This is fantasy land. We’re talking about ending the war. My god, we’re just starting a war right today. There was a vote in the Senate today. Joe Lieberman, who authored the Iraq resolution, has authored another resolution, and it is essentially a fig leaf to let George Bush go to war with Iran. And I want to congratulate Biden for voting against it, Dodd for voting against it, and I’m ashamed of you, Hillary, for voting for it. You’re not going to get another shot at this, because what’s happened, if this war ensues, we invade, and they’re looking for an excuse to do it. And Obama was not even there to vote.

TIM RUSSERT: Senator Clinton, I want to give you a chance to respond.

SEN. HILLARY CLINTON: [laughter]

AMY GOODMAN: That was Hillary Clinton laughing. Fifteen seconds, Seymour Hersh. Your response?

The context isn't "why is she hawkish" the context is "why did Clinton(famous for triangulating issue by issue whatever is popular) vote for this at this point during a campaign where everyone is increasingly against war"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe we can find a bunch of the v1.0 Panther tp tide them over?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

amy goodman vs sol badguy decide the destiny rebel one

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Why is Putin Team Russia in English?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

roger waters, tucker carlson guest, is right

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

mila kunis posted:

the "ukrainian nazis" trope has been debunked for over a year now

https://twitter.com/ivan_8848/status/1565999058438742016?s=20

those kids just learnt that on their own not influenced by anything

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
mila kunis is being sarcastic im pretty sure

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The "mila kunis is being sarcastic" trope was debunked last year.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1623977651986628608

dunno if real. seems like the offensive might be on though

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

CODChimera posted:

why? its just two missiles, how is that indication of anything?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

CODChimera posted:

Did they get lost?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

Well Ukraine claimed it soooo.

I mean yeah. Must be legit. 500% true.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The "russian missiles entered NATO airspace" trope was debunked last year

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the "russia invaded ukraine" trope was debunked last year, yet they're still fighting
makes you think

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
It’s crazy that a whole drat country is doing tropes. Do better Ukraine.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

why? its just two missiles, how is that indication of anything?

sounds like there were a bunch aimed at different cities

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

DancingShade posted:

$47 for a t-shirt pre-shipping and I don't think they ship to the US.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

how would that even work out purely geographically?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

how would that even work out purely geographically?

If they were fired from Brest and hit south of Odessa maybe, but yeah it is a real stretch.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

mila kunis was sarcastic about the nazi trope to prove he could be sarcastic about other tropes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just covering their asses when its found that it was their missile defense systems again crossing into NATO territory.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Ardennes posted:

If they were fired from Brest and hit south of Odessa maybe, but yeah it is a real stretch.

launching from the black sea targeting western ukraine maybe?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

launching from the black sea targeting western ukraine maybe?

It would have to get fairly close to NATO waters and the Russian navy he’s generally been sticking close to home waters after the Moskva.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/09/ukraine-fighter-pilot-i-could-learn-to-fly-western-jet-within-three-months-vadym-voroshylov

quote:

A Ukrainian fighter pilot who shot down five Iranian drones in one day has said he could learn how to fly a western jet within a few months – and help his country act as “a safe shield for the world” against Russian aggression.

Maj Vadym Voroshylov, a well-known figure in his homeland, said he believed it would take “up to three months to learn all the combat tasks” given his years of experience of flying in a Soviet-era MiG-29.

Engineers could learn how to repair a jet like an F-16 in a similar time, the Ukrainian pilot added, because “ground crews can be trained simultaneously”, in an interview as part of Ukraine’s latest lobbying campaign for military aid.

Voroshylov, who uses the callsign Karaya, became a public figure in Ukraine after he was forced to eject after a dramatic 24 hours in the air on 12 October, when debris from the fifth Iranian Shahed drone he had shot down in that time “got into both engines”, smashed out the cockpit glass and left blood running down his face.

I think maybe a guy who lost his 1000x more expensive fighter jet to a drone should not be the spokesperson for how Ukrainian pilots are much better than the west gives them credit for and can learn to fly anything in 3 months

maybe this is no big deal in fighter pilot land, I get that fighter piloting is a hard job, but surely they could have got this guy to keep quiet and picked... anyone else

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lmao losing to an aerial lawnmower. They have the same kill ratio on air targets as the F22, but they punched way above their weight.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this recent f16 push seems so stupid
even russians barely use their planes in ukraine due to the whole SAM problem, and russia has ukraine outgunned like 10:1, what do they think a couple planes are gonna accomplish there??

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Truga posted:

this recent f16 push seems so stupid
even russians barely use their planes in ukraine due to the whole SAM problem, and russia has ukraine outgunned like 10:1, what do they think a couple planes are gonna accomplish there??

it increases the degree of western investment in ukraine and makes it more likely that they'll be getting more other stuff, possibly even direct intervention

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CODChimera posted:

Romania says a Russian missile didn’t enter its airspace, countering a Ukrainian claim.

quote:

The defense ministry of Romania, a NATO member, said on Friday that a Russian missile had come within 22 miles of its border but that it did not cross into the country’s territory, countering a claim made by the Ukrainian military.

Ukraine’s top military commander had said earlier in the day that two Russian missiles crossed into the airspace of Moldova and Romania before entering Ukraine and being directed at targets in the country.

Romania says a missile came close to its border, but didn't enter its air space.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lmao losing to an aerial lawnmower. They have the same kill ratio on air targets as the F22, but they punched way above their weight.

imagine how bad it'll be when china gives russia the attack balloons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

imagine how bad it'll be when china gives russia the attack balloons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2UPb-yGG7s
helium mix optimal