Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alaois posted:

You get this feeling entirely from the intro credits sequence and nothing else about the show

Y'know what, that's fair.

mind the walrus posted:

I just wish I understood Lin Manuel Miranda's appeal

He is a distinctly uncool nonwhite person, which amuses white people, but wokely somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LMM gave White Americans a route to loving the “founding fathers” again, as well as a stack of new semi-educational rap songs. Of course they love him.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Or maybe people just like something different than you rather than any nonwhite person you don't like only being popular to wokely amuse white people whatever that means? I know he's not popular here but Hamilton, In The Heights, Moana all own, and he's an extremely successful and popular guy who seems like a pretty nice guy too.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Annabel Pee posted:

he's an extremely successful and popular guy who seems like a pretty nice guy too.
About that, he has faced a somewhat widespread criticism in Puerto Rico (and has been picking up heat with leftist/progressive people because of that) because of his very deep involvement in being the face of a couple of US Government initiatives regarding PR, mainly:
  • Lobbying in his home country for PROMESA. This law was suppose to be about debt relief for PR, but instead made it possible for a bunch of US-appointed, non-PR-elected people to enact austerity measures and labor reforms that limited sick and vacation days, among other things. This group
    is colloquially called "The Junta", so you know they are good people. LMM has somewhat walked back his support for this initiative after the backlash, but he was instrumental in getting the general population on board given his popularity. This has been exacerbated during the PR run of Hamilton: to avoid the protests that had been announced, the production has been moved to a government-affiliated theater surrounded by police, so he has been seen even more siding with the "powerful" instead of with the "people".
  • He's also been lobbying for an effort to relaunch PR's coffee industry, which seems like a good thing until you notice it is lead by a Starbucks/Nespresso/Rockefeller Foundation unholy alliance, which has of course soured things a good deal.
  • In general, he has been criticized by a bunch of progressive PR associations as having a somewhat colonialist perspective, being uninformed about the reality of life in Puerto Rico.

While it is true that POC have to adhere to an unnaturally high stardard that general media types would not have to reach to be considered "good guys", it is easy enough to see why LMM is seen by a lot of people as, at best, a naive well intentioned person; and at worst as someone looking to exploit his popularity to back The Scum.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Feb 8, 2023

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

Extensive stuff

That's actually useful. Most of the LMM criticism I've seen, even around here, has been on the level of "You like *popular thing*? Loser, that's only for plebs."

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Re: Mindy Kaling discourse. Velma seems pretty awful, but I think people are mostly mad that she writes self-inserts who go through similar things (self-esteem issues, feeling conflicted about her culture, pining for mean white boys).

I think people see this and mistake her writing about her own experiences and problems and think she's trying to push some kind of agenda.

Re: Lin Manuel Miranda. He's much better when he's just writing catchy songs and not awkwardly rapping them (although I do like Hamilton). I mean, "You're Welcome," "Surface Pressure," and "Wait for It" are all pretty great.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

About that, he has faced a somewhat widespread criticism in Puerto Rico (and has been picking up heat with leftist/progressive people because of that) because of his very deep involvement in being the face of a couple of US Government initiatives regarding PR, mainly:
  • Lobbying in his home country for PROMESA. This law was suppose to be about debt relief for PR, but instead made it possible for a bunch of US-appointed, non-PR-elected people to enact austerity measures and labor reforms that limited sick and vacation days, among other things. This group
    is colloquially called "The Junta", so you know they are good people. LMM has somewhat walked back his support for this initiative after the backlash, but he was instrumental in getting the general population on board given his popularity. This has been exacerbated during the PR run of Hamilton: to avoid the protests that had been announced, the production has been moved to a government-affiliated theater surrounded by police, so he has been seen even more siding with the "powerful" instead of with the "people".
  • He's also been lobbying for an effort to relaunch PR's coffee industry, which seems like a good thing until you notice it is lead by a Starbucks/Nespresso/Rockefeller Foundation unholy alliance, which has of course soured things a good deal.
  • In general, he has been criticized by a bunch of progressive PR associations as having a somewhat colonialist perspective, being uninformed about the reality of life in Puerto Rico.

While it is true that POC have to adhere to an unnaturally high stardard that general media types would not have to reach to be considered "good guys", it is easy enough to see why LMM is seen by a lot of people as, at best, a naive well intentioned person; and at worst as someone looking to exploit his popularity to back The Scum.
Thank you!

This article goes into some detail on LMM and politics. It should be noted that his father is a big name political lobbyist.

quote:

However, Lin-Manuel’s stardom wasn’t enough on its own to thrust him into the political arena—his influence is also the effect of the calculated machinations of his very powerful father, New York political lobbyist Luis Miranda, Jr.

Luis Miranda’s resume spans four decades in politics, with many blurred lines between his services to the public and private sector. He was Hispanic-affairs advisor to Mayor Koch in the ’80s, then appointed by Koch to the board of the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation, and later named chair by Mayor Giuliani in 1993. He is the founder of the nonprofit Hispanic Federation and cofounder of the lobbying firm the MirRam Group, a self-described “independent consulting firm designed to offer clients the benefit of their deep understanding of New York’s political, corporate, labor, and non-profit landscapes.” He has managed the senate campaigns of Charles Schumer, Hillary Rodham Clinton, and Kirsten Gillibrand, and boasts of being “the lead consultant in the election of Letitia James as public advocate, the first African-American woman elected citywide.” Luis Miranda is also heavily involved in his son’s career decisions, particularly as they relate to Lin-Manuel’s political forays. Lin-Manuel has expanded his sphere of influence within the political networks between New York and Puerto Rico, and Mr. Miranda in turn has an outrageously popular public-relations song-and-dance man at his disposal. Lin-Manuel becomes the face of political advocacy for Puerto Rico guided by his father’s business desires.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Right and to put it in perspective, the nonprofit Hispanic Federation was front and center in that Nespresso, Starbucks & Rockefeller coffee project I was mentioning before.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think people dislike LMM for the same reason they dislike Seth MacFarlane. They're both really prolific and obviously talented, but sometimes they just seem to be doing too much. And they cast themselves in their own stuff perhaps more than necessary. It's a matter of perspective whether you see that as strictly ego-driven, or just being deeply invested in one's work.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I liked Hamilton but LMM was so obviously the weakest performer in the main cast.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Sir Lemming posted:

I think people dislike LMM for the same reason they dislike Seth MacFarlane. They're both really prolific and obviously talented, but sometimes they just seem to be doing too much. And they cast themselves in their own stuff perhaps more than necessary. It's a matter of perspective whether you see that as strictly ego-driven, or just being deeply invested in one's work.

I dislike LMM because he exhibits peak Theatre Kid energy and seems absolutely exhausting to be around

I dislike Seth MacFarlane because he exhibits strong Theatre Kid energy but tries to hide it behind a layer of irony and edginess

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

PharmerBoy posted:

That's actually useful. Most of the LMM criticism I've seen, even around here, has been on the level of "You like *popular thing*? Loser, that's only for plebs."

LMM is bad because it empowers old white ladies (who confiscated me and my friends old tapes) to rap at me and try to explain Hip-Hop.

"Did you know it's the music of the streets?"

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

zakharov posted:

I liked Hamilton but LMM was so obviously the weakest performer in the main cast.

Leslie Odom Jr. on the other hand . . . :swoon:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

WaywardWoodwose posted:

LMM is bad because it empowers old white ladies (who confiscated me and my friends old tapes) to rap at me and try to explain Hip-Hop.

"Did you know it's the music of the streets?"

I'd like to get to know ya, so I could show ya
Put the pussy on ya, like I told ya

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like this LMM parody from Daniel Thrasher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mf5uRMlyXA

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I liked Inside Job's description of his "7th grade history teacher energy bullshit"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He also weirdly sings on a Moana song in a spot that a pasifika singer would’ve been much more appropriate

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I hate Seth MacFarlane because he thinks being a liberal gives him a pass to treat women and minorities like poo poo. Also people just have a stronger reaction to the poo poo they don't like if it's everywhere. That's not the same thing as hating something because it's popular and I'm tired of being accused of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MacFarlane and his crew have the biggest aura of "but we're the good guys so it's ok when I do it" main character syndrome which does make a lot of their transgressive poo poo very uncomfortable. I'd still take that over Matt and Trey's constant pissing on the leg of the world about how they're just a goofy lil comedy show despite being a pillar of their industry for a quarter century with empirical footprints of their bullshit left on US culture.

the holy poopacy posted:

He is good at being immensely punchable. If all he did was play roles where he got punched he would be as universally loved as he would be universally punched.
I'd almost get behind that if the punches were fun, but House is just a depressing grind produced by a rich pedophile convinced that being cutting is the same thing as being insightful.

well why not posted:

He also weirdly sings on a Moana song in a spot that a pasifika singer would’ve been much more appropriate
Moana is lowkey a mess in terms of representation. Say what you will about how much you like the end product but when Marvel says they're casting for/trying to build a production team for a specific demographic they usually go and do that. Yeah, I'm saying it. Representation doesn't equate to good storytelling, but y'know, it does kind-of force the formulas to adapt.

Anyone see Blood Quantum? Great example of "it isn't reinventing poo poo, but sometimes a different grounding is all you need to find fresh spins on the same type of material."

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Feb 9, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

He's just a rich theatre kid like so many others

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

He's talented sorta but is absolutely a dweeb and his rapping is loving terrible.

Boomers eat it up like tuna salad and frito pie.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

he also seems to get cast in the strangest places. What reason was there to cast him in His Dark Materials as opposed to literally any other actor, hell considering it was through HBO you'd think they would've gotten Timothy Olyphant or someone

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Aces High posted:

he also seems to get cast in the strangest places. What reason was there to cast him in His Dark Materials as opposed to literally any other actor, hell considering it was through HBO you'd think they would've gotten Timothy Olyphant or someone

Olyphant is busy making a new justified miniseries and was making the deadwood movie, tyvm.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Olyphant is busy making a new justified miniseries and was making the deadwood movie, tyvm.
He was what now????

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
All I know about Lin Manuel Miranda I learned from this 2 min 40 sec video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CameSDK-2m8

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

He was what now????

Like four years ago or so at this point they did a Deadwood movie to wrap up the series before David Milch succumbs to dementia.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Moana is lowkey a mess in terms of representation.

How so?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

he's very punchable and his most memorable S1 scene is getting punched a lot

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I will forever be irrationally angry that LMM rhymed island with island in the big emotional number from Moana

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Ozzy rhymed masses and masses in the very first line of War Pigs.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you want to see Lin Manuel Miranda be an insufferable doink onscreen and suffer for it even a little, Brooklyn Nine Nine has him as Amy Santiago's insufferable doink brother

Assuming you're ok with watching the "These cops are not bastards, just funny and unprofessional" show

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aramek posted:

Ozzy rhymed masses and masses in the very first line of War Pigs.

yeah this has burned me since I was 5 years old

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

rodbeard posted:

I will forever be irrationally angry that LMM rhymed island with island in the big emotional number from Moana

He was too focused on the "role/roll" thing and forgot

He gets excited

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rhyming words with the same word is allowed. Also the masses/masses line in War Pigs are two different words, anyway.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The song owns so we forgive it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
LMM can't get away with it because there aren't any sick riffs. In fact musical theater is lacking them in general which is why it sucks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Henchman of Santa posted:

LMM can't get away with it because there aren't any sick riffs. In fact musical theater is lacking them in general which is why it sucks.

This is why I keep coming back to Jesus Christ Superstar

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of musical theatre is really boring now because everybody sounds so perfect. It was better back in the days of Hair and JCS when they would put literally anyone up there and left all their mistakes in the edit.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

getting hung up on rhyming words with themselves is telling on yourself about the kind of music you (don't) listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Crespolini posted:

getting hung up on rhyming words with themselves is telling on yourself about the kind of music you (don't) listen to

do go on I am sure this will be very smart