Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Agreed on this being the Red Diamond Empire. My question is, how are Mystique and Destiny going to live to the end of it? If Sinister controls the resurrections, have they surrendered their immortality for this timeline? It's not like they can trust Orbis any more than Sinister. And won't Irene just die first anyway and push Raven into madness again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think the plan is to live to the end of it, and that's why it's best to get back to Krakoa as it was. If Destiny just wanted to live with Mystique, well they're already doing that. But in the past, Destiny's goal has been the survival of mutantkind. We haven't seen Destiny's new diaries yet, and I think that when she does die, it's going to be those that have Mystique continue on.

Whenever they do reset the universe, it's going to have to have a recording of Sinister telling himself it's a bad idea so he can stop the corrupted resurrection of Hope and the others.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Destiny is going to be the Clarence to Sinister's George Bailey.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Destiny is going to be the Clarence to Sinister's George Bailey.

There's never been a written sentence that speaks to me more than this one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
destiny and mystique are out in space, now. i'm sure they could find a method for longevity if they wanted to. there's probably a lot of opportunities out there for a shapeshifter that is explicitly not a skrull.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I don't know if we need to speculate when her tentative ally is a clone from the 1800s in a big life support orb. Just give Destiny her own orb.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

destiny and mystique are out in space, now. i'm sure they could find a method for longevity if they wanted to. there's probably a lot of opportunities out there for a shapeshifter that is explicitly not a skrull.

Somehow still less trustworthy than a skrull.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Given their history, Mystique is probably functionally immortal due to shape-shifting (?) and Destiny must be at least abnormally long-lived, given that she was canonically Irene Adler. Marvel Time is a hell of a drug, but she can't realistically have been born after like 1865, and she dies in 1989. And now she's like 25-30 again, which gets her into the Year 100 section of Sins of Sinister even if she just sits around and drinks tea for the next century.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rochallor posted:

Given their history, Mystique is probably functionally immortal due to shape-shifting (?) and Destiny must be at least abnormally long-lived, given that she was canonically Irene Adler. Marvel Time is a hell of a drug, but she can't realistically have been born after like 1865, and she dies in 1989. And now she's like 25-30 again, which gets her into the Year 100 section of Sins of Sinister even if she just sits around and drinks tea for the next century.
I figured Mystique is immortal because she has no reason to make herself have an old body "by default," and presumably if she does change into one and starts having a health reaction she can just... stop it, like the Bene Gessert in Dune. It's just that this ability is not very useful in superhero fights.

I have no explanation for Destiny. If they wanted to be clever maybe she, Mystique and Magneto all ran into some fountain of youth which did the Doc Brown "adding 20, 30 years to my life" thing without making them immortal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Destiny that's in space is the resurrected one who was brought back younger than when she died the first time around.

It is unclear how she lived to be well over 100 in her first body, however.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Kitty Pryde had a 14th birthday party on page in the 80s and actually literally 40 years later, she isn't half the age she should be.

In fact, if you go by the "Marvel time goes 4 times slower" explanation, Destiny could be 30 in 1880 and only 55 in 1980. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The Destiny that's in space is the resurrected one who was brought back younger than when she died the first time around.

It is unclear how she lived to be well over 100 in her first body, however.
Maybe she foresaw exactly which life extension tricks worked and which didn't, and just never wrote it down. Or that information was destroyed by some guy with no pupils and a sick and manic grin in the '90s and she never wrote it down again.

Eventually you just run out of railroad though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Kitty Pryde had a 14th birthday party on page in the 80s and actually literally 40 years later, she isn't half the age she should be.

In fact, if you go by the "Marvel time goes 4 times slower" explanation, Destiny could be 30 in 1880 and only 55 in 1980. :v:

That's not how Marvel time works.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

That's not how Marvel time works.

Yeah, because it doesn't work at all, don't worry about it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The entire universe was recreated like 4 years ago anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah I just file stuff like this as "well that's how Frankilin remembered it" and move on now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rick posted:

Yeah I just file stuff like this as "well that's how Frankilin remembered it" and move on now.

Should have made Wanda and Pietro Mutants and Magneto's kids again then.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Did they ever follow up on Chuck and Eric basically loving Franklin over like a week after he went to Krakoa and giving Reed a quick mind wipe right to his face?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Caidin posted:

Did they ever follow up on Chuck and Eric basically loving Franklin over like a week after he went to Krakoa and giving Reed a quick mind wipe right to his face?

A little bit. I forget the details, but I think Tony was being snarky to Emma at the last Hellfire Gala about mind wipes, but she didn't know what he was talking about.

But the Franklin stuff got derailed when Slott took his powers away and said he wasn't a mutant or whatever. Hopefully they can get that back on track now that Slott put all the toys back at the end of his run and it looks like Franklin is back to having powers.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know, there was a beat with Dr. Nemesis that made it sound like everyone is has the mutant gene and it's more a matter of whether or not it's on/off VS whether it's present/missing, and I think that'd be a pretty good twist, considering it further underscores the stupidity of bigotry

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

Y'know, there was a beat with Dr. Nemesis that made it sound like everyone is has the mutant gene and it's more a matter of whether or not it's on/off VS whether it's present/missing, and I think that'd be a pretty good twist, considering it further underscores the stupidity of bigotry

They kind of did this with the Deviants, which was the loophole Druig used to force the war between Eternals and Mutants in AXE. Because Mutants technically have a high amount of Deviant genetics, but so does a majority of all life on Earth.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

glitchwraith posted:

They kind of did this with the Deviants, which was the loophole Druig used to force the war between Eternals and Mutants in AXE. Because Mutants technically have a high amount of Deviant genetics, but so does a majority of all life on Earth.

Random humans will get superpowers from getting exposed to toxic waste or radiation. With mutants, it just happens more reliably because of their active x-gene.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Random humans will get superpowers from getting exposed to toxic waste or radiation. With mutants, it just happens more reliably because of their active x-gene.

To be fair, that's also a result of a Celestial getting a space plague and vomiting onto Earth, according to Aaron's Avengers. Not exactly sure how that intersects with Deviants and the x-gene.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Are there like, Shiar mutants? Like the Sighted Being?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nessus posted:

Half-Shi'ar at least.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nessus posted:

Deathbird could be considered a mutant, for all that she's usually called something like an "evolutionary throwback" or whatever

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I assumed the imperial guard guys were basically mutants from Shiar ruled planets. Sort of like the Ginyu force.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Nessus posted:

I assumed the imperial guard guys were basically mutants from Shiar ruled planets. Sort of like the Ginyu force.

I was always under the impression that most of the Imperial Guard are pretty representative of their species, other than the ones who are clearly technologically enhanced/empowered like Cannonball's wife, Izzy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's plenty of non-human mutants in the sense of not being a typical member of their species, like Warlock and Broo, but I'd imagine that X-genes don't come into it.

Speaking of Broo, did anything come of that story in New Mutants where it was implied he sicced a bunch of Brood on the trainees and was like, "Uh, yeah, they were rebels, I didn't have any control over them."? I've been enjoying how long Krakoa lets plots get played out, but that doesn't seem like a slow burn as much as a dropped plot thread.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rochallor posted:

There's plenty of non-human mutants in the sense of not being a typical member of their species, like Warlock and Broo, but I'd imagine that X-genes don't come into it.

Speaking of Broo, did anything come of that story in New Mutants where it was implied he sicced a bunch of Brood on the trainees and was like, "Uh, yeah, they were rebels, I didn't have any control over them."? I've been enjoying how long Krakoa lets plots get played out, but that doesn't seem like a slow burn as much as a dropped plot thread.

This weeks issue of X-Men is following up on the Brood plot, and crossing over with Captain Marvel as part of it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-Men is having a Brood centric crossover with Captain Marvel starting tomorrow, so maybe we’ll see about that.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Oh lol great timing then.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nessus posted:

There's this very slight plot thread in Marvel that somebody picks up on every once in a while, where most of the races in the galaxy are genetically bottlenecked for some reason. It was a big part of the old "Operation Galactic Storm" crossover, for example, that the Supreme Intelligence had engineered a big part of the conflict in order to force-restart the Kree's evolution.

Off the top of my head, the Skrulls have mutants, like Xavier's old "Cadre K" team, and the Kree have a ton of weird experiments and crossbreeds like post-retcon Carol Danvers, but not too many other aliens do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Xandra's got the x-gene for sure but that's the only Shi'ar I can think of with that specifically. Has Longshot ever been retconned into having an x-gene? Or rather, since he's been retconned into a clone of Shatterstar, and thus possesses the x-gene through implication, has Longshot ever been established in cannon as having the x-gene?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

rantmo posted:

I was always under the impression that most of the Imperial Guard are pretty representative of their species, other than the ones who are clearly technologically enhanced/empowered like Cannonball's wife, Izzy.

well the Imperial Guard is the Legion of Super-Heroes with the serial numbers filed off, so I would assume they work on the same criteria - they'll accept members who are representative of their species (like Cosmic Boy, who has no powers other people from his planet don't have), or exceptional members (like Saturn Girl, who's one of the strongest telepaths from her world even if they're all telepathic to one degree or another), or extraordinary members (like Lightning Lad, who got electrical powers from weird lightning cattle or some poo poo).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's not what the imperial guard is at all, though. they were created to be similar to the legion, yeah. but later appearances changed their nature. they are a group of superhumans that can, with a few exceptions, be replaced by successors with identical powers. there are clones, members of the same species, robots, etc.

mostly, it's so they can kill off members of the imperial guard whenever and then have them return to normal, no questions asked on their next appearance.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Any variation of the x-gene being a human-specific genetic mutation can gently caress right off. Skrull mutants? gently caress off. 1,000,000 year old Shi'ar mutants? gently caress off. Mutant brood? Love you, dude, but gently caress off.

If it's anything defining a mutant beyond the concept displayed in the "It's 1987..." house ad can gently caress off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Xandra's got the x-gene for sure but that's the only Shi'ar I can think of with that specifically. Has Longshot ever been retconned into having an x-gene? Or rather, since he's been retconned into a clone of Shatterstar, and thus possesses the x-gene through implication, has Longshot ever been established in cannon as having the x-gene?

Wow, I can't even remember seeing Longshot for ages. That said I think at last blush he was technically a mutant Mojoversian ?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I mean, they're still mutants in the way that somebody who has a sixth finger is a mutant, but their having a sixth finger isn't the result of having an x-gene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rantmo posted:

isn't Longshot simultaneously a clone of Shatterstar and also Shatterstar's father