Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Anyone played the System Shock remake demo yet? Full game due to release next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Serephina posted:

Ugh, not sure why the heck some people think I want to read unskippable pages of their OC video game story (do not steal!). Every second of the demo that you stall me from being able to play the game is a second closer to me alt-f4'ing and just moving on to the next demo.

this can be a pisser on rpgs. I'd usually prefer to be thrown into a combat scenario with boosted xp so I can play around with the system a bit.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gromit posted:

Anyone played the System Shock remake demo yet? Full game due to release next month.
Yep. It's a definite improvement over the original demo that they kept throwing up. The color grading is way better, they are keeping the graphics in that weird middle spot between modern and retro that works pretty well (although it does give it more of an 'indie game' feel than a Shock game is normally gonna have), they've added audio logs with cheesy acting which brings it in line with the Bioshock games, naturally there's a door with a 451 passcode. The demo has separate difficulty options for combat, security, and puzzles (3 each). It also includes the opening cutscenes. The UI is unintrusive (which, considering the original, is obviously a major change lol) with a small minimap in the lower left, health/energy in the upper right, and inventory slots along the bottom of the screen.

e: there's also a compass at the top that i didn't notice until looking at a screenshot later, I wonder if Nightdive has any options to disable UI elements, I already deleted the demo because I'm trying to power through a bunch of them

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 10, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

[s]Anybody had problems with the Gestalt: Steam and Cinder demo not starting? I press "play" and nothing ever shows up.[s] nevermind, nothing's launching now

Also, Wandering Sword is pretty cool, I recommend it.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 10, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
More Next Fest Demo impressions! Feel like I made better choices this go around:

Ravenbound - NOT COOL - Would've loved to see what this game is about, but despite being a singleplayer game, it requires you to always be online and forces you to make an account before you can access it. Maybe there's a good reason for it and I'm being silly, but I don't play indie games for this kind of nonsense. If anyone else who was more tolerant has impressions, feel free to divulge.

Boundary - COOL? - Pretty much Call of Duty In Space, aka Infinite Warfare but with an actually interesting aesthetic/style and gameplay where you can pull off some neat Ender's Game-esque moves where you outplay opponents by maneuvering around in space and shooting from crazy unexpected angles. For the most part it feels good, but I do feel like it was a bit too quiet (I know, I know, "it's in space" but still it makes the information and feedback you can sense limited and makes it confusing). Also I couldn't play long enough to see if it's well-balanced, but I fear it isn't: I thought the TTK was way too fast at first since I kept dying instantly, but after seeing how slow it was for me to kill people, I then realized that it was just me getting railed by everybody else playing sniper rifles (some things never change...)

ENENRA - NOT COOL - Kinda like a combination of standard DMC mechanics and Arkham freeflow combat, this seems like it could be a pretty neat character action game (or spectacle fighter, or cuhrayzee game or whatever the hip way to call the genre is). However, it's definitely in a rough unpolished state at the moment. I can forgive some of the aspects of the game like lackluster/missing audio feedback and some sloppy assets/effects (even though I shouldn't) since it's a work in progress. However, aspects like the incredibly bad input processing which makes it incredibly unreliable to pull off the combo you want, repetitive gameplay where you just go from arena to arena fighting the same few enemies, and lack of intention in design for a unique hook or purposeful utility of combos/moves, and just general janky flow, it's not really something I'm keeping my eye on when there's so many other character action games I need to play.

System Shock - COOL - Big fan of System Shock 2 as well as the original System Shock, and seeing it remade here is pretty darn cool. Overall the game is mighty impressive and polished and I can see myself getting it for classic imm sim fun, and I feel like they kept most of the aspects of the original while improving it with better modern features like audio logs, better maps, and so on. However, I will admit it does have some rough aspects. For one, I found the damage feedback very lackluster: shooting and especially hitting enemies with melee felt weak and sometimes I wasn't sure whether I whiffed or hit. Likewise, being hurt gave practically no feedback which led to me dying without even realizing what hit me. But more so than that, the visual aesthetic of the game felt so loud and garish that it started to give me a headache: I'm not joking when I say Cruelty Squad is a hundred times easier to visually parse than this game (call me crazy if you like). Again, I don't think these aspects are quite enough to dissuade me from it, but hrmm...

(also what the hell are these promo gifs: a little droid driving up to you and blowing up? is that really gonna sell people?)

A Sisters Journey - HMMM - Judging from the art style and the gameplay gifs, I was hoping for Celeste with guns, but unfortunately that's not what I got. The game does have a decent level of fluidity and polish to it overall, but the demo gameplay wasn't really selling me: you spend a lot of time navigating a very boring-looking cave with unchallenging puzzle platforming, and you spend a lot of time fighting boring, spongy slimes with your peashooter that needs to agonizingly recharge after only a few shots, over and over. After a boss fight (against a slime, of course) which was surprisingly tough but not for good reasons, it just continued onto some simple puzzles of flipping switches and moving keys around. Maybe it gets better, but yeah, really wasn't exciting me. Didn't help that I encountered a few bugs, and I can't believe the little things they neglected like how you can't drop off a ladder midway (attempting to do so jumps you up, forcing you to have to climb all the way down)

(again, these gifs make it look like it gets good, but I wish the demo would get to that level faster!)

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 10, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I might get one more game in tonight, but it's not a sure thing. Otherwise might as well give my opinion as of being halfway through the festival.

I've been trying to look at/spend more time with the stuff that seems interesting to me personally, rather than the stuff that seems like it's going to be a hit in general, and it hasn't really paid off. It turns out that while hidden gems do exist, most of the stuff that sinks to the bottom of the pile does so for a reason. This seems to be true for even for the stuff which isn't bad-per-se, but merely mediocre, unless it is a very niche game and your tastes are atypical, and mine are not nearly enough so. So I think while I will still continue to try out this wonky stuff just for the sake of experimentation, most of the things that are actually going to make it onto my wishlist for the long term are what goon/general consensus deems to be actually good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh cool I didn't realize there was a new demo for that Astronaut FPS, I enjoyed the last demo, gonna see what's changed.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

“Tape To Tape” is a new-to-me demo that is NHL95 meets Slay The Spire. The boss level was you playing a team of refs. Instabuy for me!

WarEternal posted:

This game looked pretty legit but I'm not really a hockey fan so I didn't try the demo. The hockey smith screenshot cracked me up.

Bless y'all for putting this on my radar. The hockey part is fun and arcadey (though I wish the AI positioned itself better for one timers). I swear because of the roguelite mashup there must be a hidden % roll every time you shoot. Am I dumb is there a trick to beating the refs?

My first run I lost fair and square 3-2 though they sure felt overtuned skill wise. My 2nd run it was tied 1-1 and I scored a goal in the 3rd but it was overturnen, then out of nowhere they got awarded a goal when the puck didn't even go into the net (which thematically is hilarious but gameplay wise is frustrating as gently caress). The meta-currency (rubber) doesn't seem to save and so I can't really rate the permanant upgrade side. Am I missing something or do I just have to git gud? I swear I saw northernlion beat it earlier today.

Thankfully I'm so starved for a hockey game on PC that I'll give this another crack but goddamn does the roguelite aspect might drive me insane.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jossar posted:

I might get one more game in tonight, but it's not a sure thing. Otherwise might as well give my opinion as of being halfway through the festival.

I've been trying to look at/spend more time with the stuff that seems interesting to me personally, rather than the stuff that seems like it's going to be a hit in general, and it hasn't really paid off. It turns out that while hidden gems do exist, most of the stuff that sinks to the bottom of the pile does so for a reason. This seems to be true for even for the stuff which isn't bad-per-se, but merely mediocre, unless it is a very niche game and your tastes are atypical, and mine are not nearly enough so. So I think while I will still continue to try out this wonky stuff just for the sake of experimentation, most of the things that are actually going to make it onto my wishlist for the long term are what goon/general consensus deems to be actually good.

I do this too. There's definitely a perceptible "it" factor for games, though, for me anyway. I feel like it's maybe like... when actual thought was put into gameplay design? A lot of these games feel like they had an "idea" and didn't flesh it out very much and just made a whole game around it before they were remotely done with the process of thinking up something that's actually fun to play.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Steamworld Dig 2 rocks good call thread

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Demo recap for tonight:

System Shock

Including what I mentioned above, I will agree that the melee range and feedback is... off, and people in the feedback thread on the game's forum have said the same, so hopefully Nightdive takes that into consideration. The vibes are right, the updates feel in line with the spirit of not just System Shock but the later Shock games. The acting is a bit cheesy but I think that's fine. I did see one instance of what I call "Assassin's Creed Unity face" on an NPC in one cutscene, so hopefully that's not an indicator of a lot of general bugginess. Nightdive is a great porting studio but this is their first real full creation from SORT OF whole cloth (since it is, of course, still a remake after all), so I don't expect it to be glitch-free, but hopefully the issues with this demo and the issues with the Blade Runner remaster arent a trend.

Valfaris: Mecha Therion

I gotta say, going from the grungy yet vibrant 2D metal run-and-gun game, to a horizontal shmup with 3D assets, is not where I was expecting Valfaris to go as a series. But it does make some sense, as some of the 2D assets in the original Valfaris were converted/pixelated 3D models to begin with, run & gun gameplay mechanics/systems translate to shmupping pretty well, and the PS1-style 3D allows them to keep much of the same aesthetics.

There's plenty to like here. Being not a ship but a guy with a gun gives the game a bit of a Forgotten Worlds (Capcom) feel, and I don't usually see indie shmups from the West get so... synergistic? Your blaster runs on energy, and to refill energy you need to use your sword to slash enemies or projectiles. You also have a boost which allows you to dash faster through the stage, break obstacles and deal critical damage, and maintaining damage against enemies fills up a gauge which awards you 'blood points' which you use as checkpoints to upgrade your weapon/melee/subweapon to strengthen them. You also get more weapons over time and can switch between them at checkpoints as you prefer.

It helps a little with the sometimes dilemma that shmups have where once you get a bunch of powerups it then just becomes a dodge-em-up. You gotta get in there more and engage and keep switching things up, since your energy meter drains pretty quickly. Maybe it'll become too tedious for a full playthrough, I dunno. But this is pretty promising.

Nocturnal

A very pretty linear action platformer (yes they still make these!) with a lot of sword fighting and flame carrying. Your sword has the ability to absorb flames for a brief period of time, which allows you to light up torches, attack certain shrouded enemies, and survive in the magic Mist that permeates certain rooms. You can also burn the poo poo out of foliage, banners, carpets, corpses; if it's flammable, it inflames. There's a VERY basic skill tree (since this is, again, linear and not open world or a metroidvania) and a lot of the experience is moving a flame from room to room and fighting enemies, but it's done pretty well. The art is nice, the feel is nice (aside from the three hit combo, my bane). Pretty solid all around.

Pixelshire

I knew it was going to be painfully generic when I saw it in a Wholesome Direct but I still had to try it to see if there was any secret magic... nope. It's just painfully generic. Look, we get it, everyone all wanted to make a tribute to Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley at around the same time, and we went from having just a few games to an absurd glut in record time. But you gotta do more than just the basics. It's funny that one of the game's news updates explains how the game is different from Stardew Valley. From playing the demo, the main difference seems to be that the interface is a lot worse.

Zid Journey

This is the kind of game I would've KILLED for, as a 7-8 year old. My first point and click adventure ended up being Future War, which is NOT the first adventure game a kid should play haha. And then my second? THE COLONEL'S BEQUEST. Yeah, have fun sleeping as a kid after taking a shower in that game. Because I sure did!! Yes, I know the Humongous games exist, but those are more experiences than puzzley games and skew I think too young even for 7-8.

Zid Journey may have some serious Garfield eyes going on, but it's got actually nice hand-drawn animation rendered with aliasing to give it a unique look, and it's just very pleasant. How about a point and click adventure where the protagonist is just NICE? And not a douchebag that everyone hates? You like Curse of Monkey Island style verb coins? This game's got a verb coin. It also has a unique element where you sometimes control a baby dinosaur that can only carry one item at a time in its mouth, as well as sniff things. The sniffing, it didn't really seem to be an impact on that particular puzzle in the demo, so I'm curious to see what the point of that is.

Anyway, obviously this is more an 'all-ages' game so I probably won't play the full game, but it's cute, it's well animated, has some actual puzzles in it (though they are very common sense), and the main character isn't insufferable. A lot of Ws for this game.

Wishlisted: Nocturnal, Valfaris: Mecha Therion (System Shock was and remains on the wishlist)
Up Next: Affogato, Full Void, Grim Guardians, Benedict Fox, Radio the Universe, Rusted Moss, Slave Zero X, Stack Gun Heroes, Coven. And that would cover everything I downloaded. So obviously the next thing would be... to download more demos :twisted:

e: Downloaded some more: The Darkest Files, Boti, Cynthia: Hidden in the Moonshadow, Gripper, Mail Time, Meatgrinder, Shumi Come Home. at this point I don't think I could find anything else that'd interest me. I was even clicking one by one on the streams on the front page of the next fest. I've exhausted the list

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 10, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

I have mixed feelings on Doom Eternal. On the one hand, you can see the outline of Doom 2016 with all the cool things that made that one stand out in its own way. On the other hand, the game refuses to let you be confused. It's nuts the extent to which it has this "modern gaming" varnish all over it. Also, the Marauder is such a retardedly designed enemy that I have no idea how it squeezed through the design phase.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

FutureCop posted:

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - COOL - Pretty polished and cool Metroidvania with a story focus where you explore a steampunk city as a roguish lady merc, picking up misc bounties/quests while doing your main mission which has you uncovering relics of some mysterious civilization with void powers and maybe you have some connection to the past or future or something. Combat has you use sword moves to build up energy for fancy bullets that can hurt or stun while ducking or roll through well-telegraphed attacks.

I was so sure this was in the Steamworld universe but apparently it's a completely different company :eyepop: Cool game, tho.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

WarEternal posted:

I do this too. There's definitely a perceptible "it" factor for games, though, for me anyway. I feel like it's maybe like... when actual thought was put into gameplay design? A lot of these games feel like they had an "idea" and didn't flesh it out very much and just made a whole game around it before they were remotely done with the process of thinking up something that's actually fun to play.

This is the way I've felt about all of the demos I've played in any Steam Demo festival and really just about most indie games in general these days. There are so many games that seem virtually unplayable to me because they weren't designed to be a fun game, they're just a dev mimicking a concept without really understanding it so they miss key things that make that concept fun. It's probably most prevalent in the Vampire Survivors clone genre right now - there are untold dozens of VS clones but the vast majority of them got about as far as "I'm going to make a VS clone with [setting/artstyle]!", developed a minimum viable product and then just had no idea what to do with it from there. Or the game Industries of Titan which has a phenomenal aesthetic but fails to deliver on more than the most absurdly basic mechanics from any of the three different genres it tries to mash together, because it seemingly doesn't understand what makes any of them fun. It uses the "game" as a delivery vehicle for its cool concept/setting/aesthetic instead of making the game a worthy product in and of itself, which is the main thing most indie devs seem to mess up these days. They look at the game as a product instead of as a game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 10, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I don't know if there's a Beam NG thread so I'll ask here:
Every time there's an update to the game, the bf's PC will download the update but then it spends 20ish minutes patching all 27GB of files. No Network traffic, only Disk usage.
Is this normal for Beam patches? I remember Payday 2 patching was crap like this, is that's what's happening here?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Croccers posted:

Every time there's an update to the game, the bf's PC will download the update but then it spends 20ish minutes patching all 27GB of files. No Network traffic, only Disk usage.
Is this normal for Beam patches? I remember Payday 2 patching was crap like this, is that's what's happening here?

yeah, thats normal. there's a lot of games that really did not have a lot of thought put into what the patching process on steam would be like and BeamNG is definitely one of them

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Still bad design :colbert:

While I didn't actually mind the Marauder that much (I already soured on the game before even meeting the first one), it's still emblematic of one reason why I found Eternal to be a distinct step down from 2016. Doom 2016 was great for getting you into a flow state where you're just zooming around at high speed blasting demons with whatever fits the bill, getting you to improvise and adapt rapidly while still allowing to adjust your playstyle to your taste. Meanwhile Eternal pretty much told you "shoot this guy, now chainsaw this guy for ammo, now freeze that guy for shield, now execute that guy for health, against this guy use this weapon, against that guy wait for the flash and then switch between these two weapons until it dies, now repeat it all in the same order". It felt severely overdesigned in a way that felt constraining rather than engaging.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Perestroika posted:

While I didn't actually mind the Marauder that much (I already soured on the game before even meeting the first one), it's still emblematic of one reason why I found Eternal to be a distinct step down from 2016. Doom 2016 was great for getting you into a flow state where you're just zooming around at high speed blasting demons with whatever fits the bill, getting you to improvise and adapt rapidly while still allowing to adjust your playstyle to your taste. Meanwhile Eternal pretty much told you "shoot this guy, now chainsaw this guy for ammo, now freeze that guy for shield, now execute that guy for health, against this guy use this weapon, against that guy wait for the flash and then switch between these two weapons until it dies, now repeat it all in the same order". It felt severely overdesigned in a way that felt constraining rather than engaging.

Oh no, 2016 let me circle strafe every enemy with the super shotty while Eternal is making me learn mechanics, woe is me.

EDIT: There's only one enemy in Eternal that has forces you to use one single strategy to defeat it, and that's the Spirit, and not even I'm going to defend that one, but every other enemy has multiple strategies you can employ against it which are optimal in different situations.
People that claim that you need to follow whatever the hints tell you to do against every enemy just don't understand the game well enough.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 10, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's my hot take on the marauder: I got bored of Doom Eternal before running into one :pwn: It felt like it was trying to be a Doom MOBA or something and the story about Ancient Doomslayer Gods was the absolute worst idea

e: But the straight up looney toons sound effects like rubber mallet sounds when you bonk imps and cartoon pop noises when you yank out a cacodemon's eye or whatever owned

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 10, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Croccers posted:

It's probably delta patching, which reduces download size (often massively) but can lead to prolonged patch install times. Is it on an SSD?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's my hot take on the marauder: I got bored of Doom Eternal before running into one :pwn: It felt like it was trying to be a Doom MOBA or something.

Did you get to the ice level at least?
IMO Eternal's biggest problem is that they were too afraid to give the player too many mechanics at once, so they spend way too much time giving you and tutorializing one mechanic at a time, and the game doesn't work as well until you have your basic kit. Cultist Base, the ice level, is where the game actually begins for real because that's when you actually have your basic kit for the first time.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The 7th Guest posted:

Yep. It's a definite improvement over the original demo that they kept throwing up. The color grading is way better, they are keeping the graphics in that weird middle spot between modern and retro that works pretty well (although it does give it more of an 'indie game' feel than a Shock game is normally gonna have), they've added audio logs with cheesy acting which brings it in line with the Bioshock games, naturally there's a door with a 451 passcode. The demo has separate difficulty options for combat, security, and puzzles (3 each). It also includes the opening cutscenes. The UI is unintrusive (which, considering the original, is obviously a major change lol) with a small minimap in the lower left, health/energy in the upper right, and inventory slots along the bottom of the screen.

But system shock literally already had audio logs with voice acting. Did they really want to just rerecord everything?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Croccers posted:

It's normal.
Some games have all of their assets in one big 27GB file and when a developer changes something small that whole file needs to be updated.

Normally you'd have to redownload that whole file, but Steam often uses a smart patching system where it only downloads the small changes but then it still needs to create a new updated 27GB file locally and that takes time even on an SSD.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Did you get to the ice level at least?
IMO Eternal's biggest problem is that they were too afraid to give the player too many mechanics at once, so they spend way too much time giving you and tutorializing one mechanic at a time, and the game doesn't work as well until you have your basic kit. Cultist Base, the ice level, is where the game actually begins for real because that's when you actually have your basic kit for the first time.

I don't think I did but the fact that it was trying to be a character action game with this whole kit of recharging cooldown abilities is exactly what I didn't like about it. It's like the antithesis to everything that was Doom

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't think I did but the fact that it was trying to be a character action game with this whole kit of recharging cooldown abilities is exactly what I didn't like about it. It's like the antithesis to everything that was Doom

Well, if you know that you don't like character action games then you definitely didn't miss anything, because Eternal is exactly a character action game, like you said.

Although, if you're interested in that game at all, you can still play Eternal as if it was 2016 on Easy. They did some changes post-release that specifically made it so that on Easy difficulty a lot of the mechanics, like the Marauder for example, were loosened up so that you didn't have to engage with them as much and you could just go all shooty shooty bang bang, if you felt like it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You could also just not play the game, and go spend your money on stuff you like instead. There's like, no shortage of new shooters nowadays.

I loved Doom'16, but I also still love Doom2 and wasn't a fan of the QTE stuff in '16, so I passed on Eternal. I bought DUSK and WRATH instead, no regrets.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Anyone else getting this weird bug where Steam dulls your library? It fixes itself once I log out and in, but it bothers me all the same.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

I appreciate the gif since I didn't think you could stunlock him like that.

Perestroika posted:

My problem with Marauder is that he's a show-stopper thanks to the shield. Unless you attack the guy in a specific way, he's just going to block everything you throw at him. For everything else, there's an optimal strategy, but you can do whatever you want if you feel like it. Yet in this case you end up forced into a one-on-one fight akin to Dark Souls. It's one thing when he's alone, but in a giant arena fight, he beelines straight at you and forces you to pay attention to him or else. Of course the fight's doable, but unlike the Archville - annoying, but fair as he punishes you for lack of map awareness - it is, as Perestroika has mentioned, constraining.

Still, the vistas are beautiful, the music is great, on a technical level the game is excellent, and the traversal improvements have won me over. So there's that, and the game is worth checking out regardless, even if it is divisive. You'll either love it and play it to hell and back or you'll play it once, enjoy it for what is and shelve it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How is Hard difficulty Dying Light 2? I enjoy having to make choices and maybe having to explore and do side-content to progress main content, but I'm a little worried about special enemies and whether they'll just get annoying. Also if there's anything else that makes Hard specifically annoying.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bad Seafood posted:

Anyone else getting this weird bug where Steam dulls your library? It fixes itself once I log out and in, but it bothers me all the same.

What do you mean "dulls" your library? Like desaturated colours or does it hide all the cool games and leave you with only basic AAA titles?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

How is Hard difficulty Dying Light 2? I enjoy having to make choices and maybe having to explore and do side-content to progress main content, but I'm a little worried about special enemies and whether they'll just get annoying. Also if there's anything else that makes Hard specifically annoying.

DL2 sucked, stick with the first

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ZearothK posted:

What do you mean "dulls" your library? Like desaturated colours or does it hide all the cool games and leave you with only basic AAA titles?

I presume titles are grayed out aka when they’re unplayable on your platform

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hwurmp posted:

DL2 sucked, stick with the first

Cool, I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't planning to play it buddy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ZearothK posted:

It's like someone layered a black rectangle over everything, then reduced the opacity to 50%. It doesn't let me select anything or scroll, though I can still access the rest of the client (the store, my profile) as normal.

Next time it happens I'll take a screenshot.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm not certain, but Games Workshop is absolutely wild with their video game pricing.

And yet paying £35 for a 2 inch tall space goblin because it has 6 strength instead of 5 strength is what keeps the UK economy afloat

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Marauders remind me of the Black Knights from Dark Souls. You need to outsmart them, not out-twitch or out-aim them. Once you figure them out they're real easy to bait.

The enemies that killed me most were Arachnotrons and Cyber Incubi, because I have terrible aim.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Doom Eternal's biggest issue is definitely that you're pretty much meant to be on the ropes at all times, positively HURTING for resources at all times.

Even on easy you run out of ammo and you're forced to engage with its color coded loot pinata systems instead being able to naturally find ammo/health/armor lying around in reasonably plentiful quantities like the games of old.

But hey, silly me for getting Eternal on day one under the assumption that I'd still be able to mostly play it like 2016.

I'm a bit of a baby that also hates Souls-likes and generally just wants semi-mindless fun out of their games, thank the dark lord for New Blood and Devolver.
Dusk and Amid Evil are perfect examples of the genre while Eternal is, imo, absolutely overdesigned to all hell.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You're not actually supposed to be starved for resources in Eternal, even on Nightmare. If you remember to chainsaw a mook once in awhile (and spray your flame belch before you do) you should be pretty good on resources all the time.

Incidentally I don't think I've ever seen a game discourse more laden with Gamer Psychology jargon (even from the devs) than Doom Eternal. Everyone's always talking about "engaging with systems" and "gameplay loops" and "combat puzzles" and I just want to grill for god's sake

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Volte posted:

You're not actually supposed to be starved for resources in Eternal, even on Nightmare. If you remember to chainsaw a mook once in awhile (and spray your flame belch before you do) you should be pretty good on resources all the time.

Incidentally I don't think I've ever seen a game discourse more laden with Gamer Psychology jargon (even from the devs) than Doom Eternal. Everyone's always talking about "engaging with systems" and "gameplay loops" and "combat puzzles" and I just want to grill for god's sake

Doom Eternal's tutorial literally says "gameplay loop" at one point and I think that was a signal that it wasn't the game for me. It felt like they designed it to impress game system designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

Doom Eternal's biggest issue is definitely that you're pretty much meant to be on the ropes at all times, positively HURTING for resources at all times.

Even on easy you run out of ammo and you're forced to engage with its color coded loot pinata systems instead being able to naturally find ammo/health/armor lying around in reasonably plentiful quantities like the games of old.

I still enjoyed my play through but yeah it felt like an exhausting StarCraft 1v1 at times. Not something I want to go back to, and I love playing classic Doom wads.