Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I am not sure I really feel like I want to play 1 or 2 again but I would love to play 3 again. One question I'd have is whether or not I am going to actually be able to use a mouse to click on things and navigate through menus and such. I haven't played any old Atlus pc ports... in the Disgaea ports, can you actually use a mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I wonder if you'll still be able to delete bosses from the floor below :getin:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

OzFactor posted:

I am not sure I really feel like I want to play 1 or 2 again but I would love to play 3 again. One question I'd have is whether or not I am going to actually be able to use a mouse to click on things and navigate through menus and such. I haven't played any old Atlus pc ports... in the Disgaea ports, can you actually use a mouse?

I think so for Disgaea. I can affirmatively confirm that Atlus's PC ports add mouse controls for menuing, though the actual menus are not adjusted for this. I tried both Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal's mouse controls and while the menus very clearly not being designed for mouse navigation hurts it, you can play the game like that, if you want to.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
There's a livestream here with some gameplay starting around 1:25. They show off some of the new mapping stuff too https://www.youtube.com/live/DHmzgqvSxGk?feature=share

Things I noticed:
-Multiple save slots added
-Portraits aren't locked by class, any portrait can be used for any character
-Auto mapping expanded to include walls
-EO1 added strafing
-Faster battle animations

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Something also revealed is that there's gonna be a new BGM for EO3 stratum 6 random battles.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So EO3 HD is keeping in the co-op sea quest feature. I have no idea if it's keeping all the multiplayer features, but I figured I would make a video to document that stuff in the DS version of the game. I have no idea how many people even used these features back then, but maybe the Switch and PC versions will make those more feasible to experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbCGiCROlhY

So Guild Cards debuted in this game, with a very prototype concept of the StreetPass feature from the 3DS. You can exchange guild cards with other players while you kept the DS in sleep mode and passed by other players who happened to be doing the same thing as well.

Next, you can actually trade items with the barter feature. This means that yes, you could immediately send a piece of endgame equipment over to a fresh save file and destroy everything. Or several for the complete overkill, it's up to you.

As for Co-op Sea Quests, how they work is that 2 to 5 players can join in on a host. The host decides who to take along, and after that, everyone submits 1 member from their guild to partake in the Sea Quest. From there the host chooses which boss they want to fight, and yes, you are seeing this correctly, there are actually 4 Sea Quests you can partake in! The first 3 are with the AI NPCs. But the 4th is only available in multiplayer. This one has no NPCs to work with, and lets you fight the boss with 5 humans.

The host then organizes the party's formation, and which party members get what Limit Skills. Curiously, the Limit Skills you can equip does not depend on the host's save file. Even if other people have unlocked later Limit Skills that the host does not have, the host is allowed to assign those to the party.

From there the battle begins. Everyone inputs a command, and once that happens, the turn plays out. And aside from the fact you're playing in multiplayer, it's pretty much the same thing as in single player. What players are deciding on command or skill to use, or what they already input are displayed in their name plates. NPCs on the other hand, will simply display a "Committed" in their nameplate to avoid planning around their actions easily, as they do no such thing in single player, and their AI actually cheats and only decides what to do when their actual realtime turn comes around while the turn plays out.

The 4th Sea Quest doesn't typically have special text (unless you're fighting Elder Dragon, in which he gives a different introductory and ending speech), nor does the Harbormaster say anything if you've already gotten the Limit skill from that boss. So you're not missing out on too much if you can't make use of this, but it is a pretty interesting feature nonetheless.

Oh and if you're wondering what happens if someone disconnects or just shuts off their game, everyone in the room just gets booted out of the battle instantly.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Araxxor posted:

Oh an extremely important note from the livestream. :siren:There is a new Etrian Odyssey game in the works!:siren:

:yeshaha:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thank you Nintendo and Atlus for reminding me of the copy of EO4 that I purchased...I don't want to think about how long ago that I have yet to play. Someday!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Guess I'm replaying 1-3 this year

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shyfted One posted:

Guess I'm replaying 1-3 this year

:yeah:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Late but re: class balance in EO3 I feel like people overstate how important it is. Some classes are objectively much better than others but you can still beat the true final boss* with wacky class combinations like Wilding/Monk. The only way to get walled is doing things that are just ill-considered like an entire party of support or Farmer/Anything.

* Not the true true final boss though gently caress that poo poo

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You can beat the Final Superboss with a solo Farmer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Seems like Basic may work like in Nexus. In the livestream it served as a 20% modifier to damage in the player's favor. Unfortunately EO1's earlygame being EO1, it barely affected a lot because the numbers are too drat small for it to have much of an impact, which is a shame cause that's one of the hardest parts of the game. The Venomfly ambush still mostly slaughtered the party there. :v:

mycot posted:

Late but re: class balance in EO3 I feel like people overstate how important it is. Some classes are objectively much better than others but you can still beat the true final boss* with wacky class combinations like Wilding/Monk. The only way to get walled is doing things that are just ill-considered like an entire party of support or Farmer/Anything.

* Not the true true final boss though gently caress that poo poo

Yeah you can beat the main game with whatever party. It just probably won't be fun to do so with a bad enough party.

Pureauthor posted:

You can beat the Final Superboss with a solo Farmer.

Oh yeah, totally*. Video for context. (spoilers for the EO3 superboss, obviously.)

*By doing a lot of book reading and exploiting a funny glitch.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Wait, so those are just remastered originals, not Untold? Do they have any enhancements?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Terminally Bored posted:

Wait, so those are just remastered originals, not Untold? Do they have any enhancements?

Several! A bunch of UI stuff has been backported from the 3DS games, such as the ability to see all of your party's buffs and debuffs at once, the ability to view enemy info in battle (HP, stats, buffs/debuffs, damage/disable vulnerabilities), the "do you want to start the turn" prompt after selecting the last character's action in battle, and a proper skill tree view for the Custom menu, instead of the DS games' simple list of skills. Running in dungeons has been added. Sidestepping has also been added to EO1. It also stands to reason that stuff like the heavy limitations on mapping in EO1 and 2 will not apply here, making headaches like EO1 B27F less awful.

e: I also forgot the ability to invest multiple SP in a skill at once (ala EON), as well as being able to use any portrait for any character, regardless of class. The JP versions also keep the "is this character a Prince or a Princess" prompt when creating a Sovereign (again ala JP EON), unlike EO3 where it was automatically picked based on portrait, but that's irrelevant for the EN versions.

Rea fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 10, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My SO was only ever able to beat the EO3 superboss with Tagen Battou bullshit. He tried for a while with some more conventionally optimized parties like Warrior Might and eventually said gently caress it.

I personally was not as good or persistent a player so I thought merely getting to the boss was enough.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The best reason to fight the Abyssal God is to listen to Calling That Detestable Name. Which doesn't require winning the fight, you can just sit there on turn 1 and get all the satisfaction you need.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

mycot posted:

The only way to get walled is doing things that are just ill-considered like an entire party of support or Farmer/Anything.

Funny thing about that is that Ninja is so broken as a subclass that Farmer can handle the main story just fine.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

the Abyssal Mod

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zurai posted:

The best reason to fight the Abyssal God is to listen to Calling That Detestable Name. Which doesn't require winning the fight, you can just sit there on turn 1 and get all the satisfaction you need.

Technically you need to get more than one turn in because the first stage plays Scatter About, but the first stage is not a high bar to clear at least.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Part of the appeal of these games are making the maps, so I hope the mapping making tools translate well to switch and/or PC

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
How was labyrinth of refrain? There's a new one out this week.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Exploration was fun with some cool gimmicks but I didn’t care much for the combat or team building

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

hatty posted:

Exploration was fun with some cool gimmicks but I didn’t care much for the combat or team building

i've got an itch, bro

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Dpulex posted:

i've got an itch, bro

The new one will be better unless it also has themes of sexual assault, child abuse, slavery, brain surgery -> slavery, and poop + they tell you how bad it smells (it's bad). That's jus the first chapter or two

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Labyrinth of Refrain is absolute garbage so id be wary of the sequel

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Labyrinth of Refrain is awesome and the story is great and has a lot of payoff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kobogartimer posted:

The new one will be better unless it also has themes of sexual assault, child abuse, slavery, brain surgery -> slavery, and poop + they tell you how bad it smells (it's bad). That's jus the first chapter or two

yeah sounds like a typically bad NIS game

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Sounds like NIS only makes bad games

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The impression I get is that NIS made one well-liked game with dark themes and now every non Disgaea NIS game has to be word salad of the most hosed up stuff they can think of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think they care too much whether it's liked or not, that's just the kind of story their writers want to write?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Clarste posted:

I don't think they care too much whether it's liked or not, that's just the kind of story their writers want to write?

It's a bold choice to prefer to write badly.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought people liked the writing in Refrain? Its rough at the start but the mid to late game stuff is okay

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Labyrinth of Galleria is actually reviewing well, might be better than the last one.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s less puerile apparently

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hatty posted:

I thought people liked the writing in Refrain? Its rough at the start but the mid to late game stuff is okay

I didn't get far enough to see the story improve because the gameplay was awful too. I made it four labyrinths in and combat was still just as dull as at the start and the way you build your team sucks too. Only thing I liked about it were the labyrinths themselves which were pretty good.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The Witch and the Hundred Knight writing team has been slowly toning down the Edgelord Bullshit Factor with each successive game, but it started from a pretty high baseline so I am expecting it to remain nonzero in Galleria and am at peace with that

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
I’ve been playing through EO5 after finding my old 3DS and my games for it. Anyone got any tricks or general tips for the game?

I’m on 13F, and I’ve had a pretty good time so far. I’ve only checked guides for bosses when I get to them (I’ve read enough of the LP’s on this site to know the bosses in this series can be assholes if you don’t know their tricks) and some of the harder FOE puzzles. I’m pretty cautious when playing games so I tend to make sure to be at good levels as I progress (also the completionist in me makes me try to unlock everything I can floor by floor)

My team is a shield Dragoon, barrage Pugilist, multi sword Masurao, elemancer Warlock, and healer Botanist.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My advice is to keep having fun with the team you like that is apparently working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

EO5 is a lot more forgiving of party composition than some of the earlier games, you really can have fun and make most (varied) parties work. It was a pleasant surprise.