Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

drat I would eat that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Those are some rude titties, rhino

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Those are some rude titties, rhino

Mournful.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Laughed out loud a this one

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Did you pick that av, rats, or did someone get grumpy at you again?

edit: Oh poo poo new page

They Didn't Translate the Name of this Chapter (1/2)

(2/2)

God fleas, sounds like a bad time.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Professor Swan Boy teaches us about energy

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Swan Boy is on a roll

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This is reminding me that I need to catch up on the Swan Boy cartoon.

You know else has a cartoon these days? Kate Beaton! Here’s her old comic:

Achilles maybe needs some counselling, like, it’s not as though I come to your house and fill it with slaughtered Trojans, why would you do that to mine? You know? Common courtesy.

Achilles/Patroclus: friends/boyfriends/brothers/lovers/comrades? YOU DECIDE

(it’s all of them)

I read this quote, from an interview with Katherine Sui Fun Cheung, and the interviewer asked about why she was a pilot and all that, and she just said “I wanted to fly, so I did.” And I thought MAN! I can’t even figure out what to eat for breakfast, never mind sailing through a load of barriers just because I think I want to give something a shot. “Flying? Whatever, I’ll just Do It.”

Another quote? “What’s the point of flying a plane if you can’t have fun doing it?” I love her!

I love early aviatrices - Bessie Coleman, Amelia Earhart, Beryl Markham, etc - they were like “oh is there a brand new job on the face of the earth? Think I’ll invite myself to do it before anyone says I can’t.”

Not too much time goes by before Top Gun washes up once again on these shores.

That last line ended up being prescient. But who would’ve guessed back then the new Top Gun would be one of the greatest movies ever made?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Emzedoh posted:

(2/2)

lmao its just bathtime

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Blind Alley

She interacts with cats the way I do.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

MokBa posted:

This is reminding me that I need to catch up on the Swan Boy cartoon.

Here's a fun fact: Keith Stack of Leslie and Brianne fame served as an animation director on said Swan Boy shorts

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't believe Swan Boy coined divorced guy energy.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Why am I laughing at this. Help

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

:same:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ANSU

Fingerpori

I don't know much about cars, I don't know a saying specifically about cars going cuckoo

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

I don't know much about cars, I don't know a saying specifically about cars going cuckoo

"Käy ja kukkuu" - "runs and tweets" (or something). a country-side boomer saying. I.e. it runs and makes the proper sounds.

Letmebefrank has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Feb 10, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Glad to see hat boy and braid girl getting along with each other a little better in recent blind alleys.

Enjoying Ansu too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Emzedoh posted:

Do you have a source/gallery for TDTtNotC? It's amazing and I have to share.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: The halls are dead now, their kings ground into dust. It is the table salt of their new mistress.

quote:

Aesma and the Red Eyed King

Part 2

Ogam was perplexed, but he was saved when Boratus of the Silver Scales smashed into him with his six-wheeled chariot and knocked him off his feet, sparing him an answer. The other ten gods of justice leapt upon Ogam at once with their clubs and staves and holy rods, and began to beat him savagely. Aesma found this uproariously funny.
“You, wicked one!” said Ys-Perator the Crown of Truth, “How can you stand there and cackle? Begone. We are punishing the tyrant Ogam for his drunken transgressions with the Mistress of the Petal Tower.”
“You’re doing a terrible job of it,” pointed out Aesma, snorting with laughter. It was true. Ogam had grown ten stories tall, so that the strikes of the gods of justice were like matchsticks upon his mighty hide. The gods scramble to pin him down with shards of moonlight, but before they could impale him he grew a score of arms and plucked them by their cloaks and rained blows upon them that would have pulverized normal men into gruel.
Perator gripped her stave with white knuckles and gave Aesma a scornful look. “Well, go off then. Don’t you have better things to do?” she growled. She was of half a mind to drive Aesma off with the rod, as she had done many times before.
“Not until Ogam tells me who my equal is!” protested Aesma.
“Fool!” said Perator, “Anyone would be hard pressed to find your equal in wickedness. There are none with such a soul stained with evil save the Red Eyed King who is kept in the Crucible of Punishment, and he is singular in his accomplishments!” Perator realized her mistake a moment too late, for Aesma had already leapt into her chariot and taken to the skies.
The Crucible of Punishment was a terrible place. Once, the old god Muam was discontent with the angle of the sun upon his mountain lean-to. To this end, he made an arduous journey to the end of the universe, where he found one of the ancient trees that held up its corners, and stripped one of its branches into a mighty pole two and a half billion leagues long. He trudged all the way from the edge back to the center, where he thrust the pole deep into the earth, and using it as an axle, turned the world by five degrees, and was content.
The world-axle was withdrawn, but the hole it left remained. And halfway down that hole, was the Crucible, which was steeped in perpetual Chthonic gloom. It was a mighty fortress, an iron vessel full to the brim of the worst and most despicable beings to defile the earth, and for this reason it was kept deep and out of sight of the innocent. The Crucible was lashed to the walls of the hole by great chains large enough for a man to walk on, and it had one hundred and five watchers – powerful saints of justice clad in white funeral robes. Each saint had dipped their eyes in quicksilver, rendering them blind to worldly concerns, but able to keenly discern the impurities within the souls of any visitor. It was for this reason that when Aesma arrived, all one hundred and five scrambled with great speed from their watch towers and arranged themselves in battle formation.
At first the saints were aghast, for they perceived very clearly that a being of tremendous evil was upon them, and wondered for a second if one of their prisoners had in fact escaped. But then they recognized Aesma, and a collective groan went up among them.
“I’m here for the Red Eyed King!” proclaimed Aesma.
“The King shall ne’er see the lands above again,” said one of the saints. “He has proclaimed his enmity against the forces of good in clear terms. He is a sun swallower and a world destroyer, a tyrant and a demon of pure malevolence.”
“He sounds dreamy,” said Aesma, “when can I see him?”
The saints narrowed their silver eyes and set their spears as a thicket of blades against Aesma, for they knew her well. “Never!” they said in unison.
“Great saints!” wheedled Aesma, “Please, have pity on a poor and desperate girl! I merely want to lay eyes upon this wicked king. Surely there must be some task I can accomplish to prove my worth to you?”
With great reluctance, the saints raised their spears a fraction of an inch, for there was an air of true desperation in Aesma’s voice. They entered into a hushed and grim discussion, for there was among them a general belief in redemption, no matter how small the chances. It was considered among many of the great gods of justice that Aesma was in fact an idiot, and shouldn’t be blamed for her wide and colorful list of transgressions against the common good.
“Very well,” said one of the saints, “Here are your tasks. First, you will find the names of forty two men who truly have not sinned. For if you do not have the discerning eye to find purity amongst the decay of this world, then you do not have the means to pass through these halls with true intent.”
“Ok,” said Aesma.
“Then you must bring us the heart of a leviathan, which is only given to those righteous of purpose.”
“Ok,” said Aesma.
“You must know,” continued the saint, “You can not cut out the heart, or bring it by violence alone. It must be living, and we must see proof of its offering. Even the greatest of questing knights have been turned aside by one of the mighty beasts, for the smallest of evils.”
“Next, you will travel to the holy mountain of Saboth-Ur, where the monks of the Empty Voice keep the silence. For a year and a day you must dwell on that mountain and utter not a word. You must discard your possessions and go about naked as the day you were born, but rid yourself of all lustful ambitions and aspirations of the flesh. You must cast aside your battle consciousnesses and ancillary violence forms. You must rid yourself of the poetry of destruction, break your weapons, and purge the breath of death from within your lungs. Bring us then a token from the abbot there that proves you have undergone these trials. With the heart and token both, we will let you in to lay eyes upon the wicked King.”
“This sounds too complicated,” protested Aesma, “Let’s fight instead.”
So they did, to their great dismay. The battle lasted a day and a half. So much of Aesma’s molten blood was spattered above that it melted through three of the iron chains that held the Crucible in place and caused it to tilt. Later this would cause the Crucible to swing against the wall of the pit and crack, releasing a hundred and fifty of the world’s most evil beings onto the surface, who caused so much trouble that it took several wars and the participation of no less than twelve supreme gods of battle to recapture them.
The saints were very powerful, and were able to slay at least five of Aesma’s war forms, but by the end of the fight, Aesma had hurled all of them into the pit, where they fell for seven hundred years before hitting the bottom and starting their arduous trek back up. She plucked the spears from her flesh and caved in the iron gate of the crucible and limped into its cramped and labyrinthine interior. There, inside, in the deepest pit, she beheld a tiny prison cage with bars made of red hot iron, so that they constantly burned their inhabitant. And kept inside that cruel cage, with charcoal-like flesh smoking, was the Red Eyed King.
He was truly, as Aesma saw, a being of quite singular evil. Though his skin was black from the fire, and cracked and red-raw from his prison, he did not flinch a bit from his torture. Tendrils of dark and oily vapor rose from his charred body, and he had the cruel face of a tyrant. But by far his most notable feature were his eyes, which burned with an insane and hungry red light. As Aesma saw his eyes, she saw instantly that they were sparks of an awful dark flame that would grow to consume the world if they were given kindling.
They were pinpricks of the light of destruction that would shine at the end of the universe. It was for this reason that Aesma instantly fell in love with him.

Alt: Grip of Fear

quote:

Aesma and the Red Eyed King

Part 3

This was a massive problem for Aesma, for she had never before felt love of any capacity, so at first she thought she had fallen violently sick.

“Stop that at once!” she gasped, clutching her chest, “You are using some foul art to explode my heart!”

“What misbegotten wretch are you?” said the Red Eyed King. He had a voice like drifting ash and it was said the moment you heard it you would not forget it for the rest of your life. It could reduce a normal man to a babbling, terror stricken mess. Aesma merely fell in love a little more.

“You!” she screamed, panting and sweating, “I demand you become my husband!” There was no response from the Red Eyed King, and Aesma was taken aback. For most of her problems she had solved quite easily by beating them to a pulp, and her usual approach didn’t seem to apply in this case. She was thoroughly stuck.

“I’ll beat you to a pulp!” she said, hesitantly.

“An odd threat to make to a man in a cage,” said the Red Eyed King, “I refuse.”

Aesma’s heart jumped again, and to her immense surprise, her face screwed up in a tight and pained expression of grief, and molten tears began to pour from her eyes in great rivulets, searing the iron floors.

“What are you doing to me?” she wailed in confusion.

“Nothing,” said the Red Eyed King, perplexed.

Aesma did not hear, for she ran, blubbering and wailing from the deepest pit of the Crucible to its exterior, her tears burning holes in the floor the entire way. And once she was outside, through her steaming eyes she groped for and found the tiniest particle of matter she could and smashed that particle into an explosion so violent it sent plumes of white fire shooting up and down the shaft, and hurled her up and out of the pit, where she grabbed a passing shaft of sunlight and broke it into a door she could travel through. When she hurtled through that door, the light in her destination was clear and unwavering, for she had returned to the only place that knew anything about husbands in her esteem, the Temple of the Disc of the Sun.

When Aesma landed, she ran right up the temple steps, leaking molten fire from her eyes, and knocked on the great temple doors so hastily that she bashed them right off their hinges. They flew right through the mid-day congregation, sending worshippers flying and completely demolishing the large and stately Altar of Philosophy. In any other time Aesma would have found this hilarious, but the matter of her leaking face and jumping heart terrified her, so when the hundred manly priests of the temple came to beat her away with their staves, they found her apologizing profusely and were thrown into great confusion.

“What’s wrong with me?” wailed Aesma.

The priests had a hurried and argumentative conference, and then the Hierophant said, “You appear to be suffering from a broken heart.”

“I think I will die!” said Aesma.

“I assure you, you will not,” said the Hierophant, with very little sympathy. “How did you come by this condition?”

“I found a husband, as you asked,” said Aesma, “but he will not take me!”

A great discordant cry went up then among the priests, and they threw themselves into furious debate. Some of them wanted Aesma out by the stave immediately, no matter the truth of her words. Others could not believe that such a wicked being could find love. But the sentiment that won out in the end was the rather self indulgent and completely wrong notion that if Aesma had indeed found a husband, she would be far better served by having a man to reign in her wanton and vile habits. The priests were very firm in their belief that the moral authority of a good husband could tease out an enlightened womanly virtue from even the most wretched of creatures, and therefore they ceased to see Aesma as a base and vile creature beyond redemption, and began to see her as a great conquest and affirmation of their own righteousness. They began to imagine in their enlightened minds the power and prestige of a tame and demure Aesma, the most infamous and despised of goddesses. This was a fantastic mistake.

“Aesma Ten Yondam,” said the Hierophant, “Do you truly desire a husband? Have you found such a man, with a nature to guard against your womanly vice? The priests of this good and holy temple can hardly believe that you have.”

“I have!” protested Aesma, and wiped her eyes clean of fire, “What should I do?”

“You must promise to submit to his superior will,” said the stern Hierophant. “It is accepted in this society that a woman should do three things for her husband: tend to his meals, darn his clothing, and obey his every command without question. In return he will be your protector, guide, and counselor, and will not lift his hand against you in violence. Go to your prospective husband and promise him these things, and he will surely take you as a wife.”

Aesma was very tempted to beat up the Hierophant, for she hated commandments, and she hated things that came in threes. But for once in her life, her desperate desire for a husband overrode her natural instinct to apply violence directly to her problems. This was very uncomfortable for her, but Aesma’s desire was the strongest among all divinities, for she was the Master of Want. So while the priests saw her twitch at their commandments and readied their staves in fear, Aesma merely knelt and bowed her head quite awkwardly, for she was unused to such things. “I will do as you say,” she said, and in quavering voice recounted the things the Hierophant had said to her.

The priests were ecstatic. “Go and bring your husband here,” they said, “And we will join you in holy matrimony, under the light of the great Sun Disc.” They were very firm in their belief that a great moral victory had been won, and saw Aesma off with great pride and vigor as she grabbed a passing sunbeam and rode it all the way back to the Crucible of Punishment.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Elviscat posted:

Do you have a source/gallery for TDTtNotC? It's amazing and I have to share.

Whole thing:
https://mangadex.org/title/502cc63b-647e-4efc-b2be-2f4af70ef78d/terrarium-in-drawer
Oh hey, that site gives the name as Only God Knows. I was working from a bundle direct from the translator, the title was usually on the first or second page, but the table of contents was untranslated.

I used Imgur to host the specific chapter:
https://imgur.com/a/j2iUKs0

Edit: Aesma and the Red Eyed King is going places

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Feb 10, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
gently caress YOU
NO gently caress YOU
NO gently caress oh poo poo cops gently caress YOU COPS
YEAH gently caress YOU COPS

Unironically wholesome comic.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Previously on Opplopolis: Vesper and Vesper and Heather and Heather, who is here to see Vesper.

I like this back cover. I mean, I like most of them, but I like this one better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

One extra to conclude the Demi-Dog series.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hempuli posted:

ANSU

Fingerpori

Do you even know any Finnish? "Käy ja kukkuu" is not exactly an uncommon idiom. (Obviously originally referring to clocks.)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The Aesma side story in K6BD is fantastic

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do you even know any Finnish? "Käy ja kukkuu" is not exactly an uncommon idiom. (Obviously originally referring to clocks.)

I'm fairly sure I've never heard anyone use that phrase, no

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hempuli posted:

I'm fairly sure I've never heard anyone use that phrase, no

Let me guess: you've never bought a used car, either.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I don't get that one. Looks like a typical rail to me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Like an eggine that purrs (I forgot if you can say that in English, but you can in Danish)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hmm, maybe it's about time I posted through one of my favourite comics.

Sleepless Domain, by Mary Cagle. Art for the first couple of chapters is Oscar Vega.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cant cook creole bream posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

That's the suicide coaster, designed to kill people humanely through g forces and never built

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:smuggo: