Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Hyrax Attack! posted:

As this made no sense I was asking questions and got informed by a mansion dweller that this approach boosts God’s glory.
Predestination is a huge dick move for sure, but I don't know that it's really worse than the whole "God made the ultimate sacrifice because he loves you despite your sinful, sinful ways. The only way you can find salvation is through complete submission to his will." Reads like textbook abusive manipulation to me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The reductionist version of christianity that rings indisputably true to me is "If you tell people not to be dicks to each other and they start listening to you, you're gonna get murked by the rich"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My sister quit believing in a Christian god after her church group leader earnestly explained that no, pets don’t go to Heaven because they can’t profess their faith in Jesus Christ. If that’s true, God’s an rear end in a top hat for imbuing something with life and then condemning it to hell because they can’t participate in his popularity contest.

This is why Catholicism is the superior denomination :colbert:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I was catholic until around 12, when my catholic mother divorced my lutheran father and bullshitted her way (along with a donation to the Joliet diocese) into an annulment. Then we started going to methodist church with an uncle, who was methodist because of his wife. Much chiller than the catholics. Lot of uptight german descent catholics where I grew up.

The annulment is what chapped my rear end, and my view of rules lawyering is that it's all bullshit anyhow. Basically, she wiped my brother and I into bastarddom to appease the soothsayers of the sky monster, and they took advantage of her naivety while pocketing a few thousand dollars she didn't really have to spend.

I was 15 when I put together that no one knows what comes when the lights go out. It took several more years to realize that everyone just wants some reassurance, that maybe someone or something has an answer to questions we don't fully understand, etc. Believe what makes you happy, just don't be a proselytizing dick about it.

If I was actually a creative person, I would reread the gospels and write one from the perspective of a sasquatch watching everything unfold. Because Bigfoot is the one who watches.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

The Estonian foreign intelligence service just pulished their annual security report. Some interesting reading.

https://raport.valisluureamet.ee/2023/en/

This is a wonderful read. Thank you

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just wanted to echo that the Estonian foreign intelligence report is fantastic. The Baltic states takes on Russia are as always zero bullshit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

My sister quit believing in a Christian god after her church group leader earnestly explained that no, pets don’t go to Heaven because they can’t profess their faith in Jesus Christ.

So many people drop it because of that it's absolutely hilarious. You'd think they'd just be like "yeah sure, no prob" but at least there's some sort of consistency for once

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That's quite a correction

quote:

Correction: The original version of this story misattributed a quotation from Pope Paul VI, who died in 1978, to Pope Francis. It was Pope Paul VI who said, “One day, we will see our animals again in the eternity of Christ.” The original version of this story misinterpreted comments made by Francis who said in recent remarks, according to Vatican Radio, “The Holy Scripture teaches us that the fulfillment of this wonderful design also affects everything around us.” This quotation was interpreted in press accounts to mean that the Pope believes all animals go to heaven. A Vatican spokesman told Reuters on Dec. 13 that this was not the Pope’s intended message.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Q: Do dogs go to heaven?
A: There will be more of them than they are of us.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

So many people drop it because of that it's absolutely hilarious. You'd think they'd just be like "yeah sure, no prob" but at least there's some sort of consistency for once

US pet culture sometimes feels like a competing cult

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

All dogs go to heaven.

All cats, however…

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
go to super secret double good heaven

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Is this the one across from the snake farm?

Just sounds nasty

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Just sounds nasty
It pretty much is.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Just stop lying to yourselves and embrace the pursuit of slack and the teachings of the one tue prophet J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Self help Singh has the answers I need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8An2SxNFvmU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

slurm posted:

The best is reading nytimes articles about wealthy NYC apt dwellers with entitlement and demands that the world accommodate their choice to own a dog in a high rise building.

You get building installing heated sidewalks outside so that pet toes don’t get cold in the winter, furious folk asked to use the service elevator as this offends their pet’s dignity (really), and working all day but buying large dogs who need tons of daily exercise so paying for them to be taken on field trips to New Jersey for hikes. Although for that last one dog walkers are getting six figures a year so not all bad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I once spent 8 hours in line in Colorado for a "chance" to view rescue dogs for adoption after filling out an extremely onerous and invasive application. Never got to see one; after that we just looked on Craigslist and got a puppy from a surprise litter that happened after two neighboring ranch dogs had a tryst. We made another attempt at getting a rescue dog a few years later and gave up after weeks of back-and-forth, agreements to let inspectors tour our home, interviews, etc. Pet culture in the US develops a lot of extremely strange attitudes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The best is reading nytimes articles about wealthy NYC apt dwellers with entitlement and demands that the world accommodate their choice to own a dog in a high rise building.

You get building installing heated sidewalks outside so that pet toes don’t get cold in the winter, furious folk asked to use the service elevator as this offends their pet’s dignity (really), and working all day but buying large dogs who need tons of daily exercise so paying for them to be taken on field trips to New Jersey for hikes. Although for that last one dog walkers are getting six figures a year so not all bad.

gently caress, I’d like to get in on this racket. I’m already walking my big dummies like six miles a day as it is; might as well get some bennies and pennies for it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

gently caress, I’d like to get in on this racket. I’m already walking my big dummies like six miles a day as it is; might as well get some bennies and pennies for it.

The trade off is living in/around and dealing with areas of the country where people can afford six figgies to have their dogs walked. I'm not sure that's so good a deal I'd be willing to spring for it.

Edit: Also it's still probably not enough to rent a closet in those areas either.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Apparently some charge rich folk $35 a walk? Seems like a good deal although you might have to deal with dog owners like my cousin who decided her labradoodle had every form of anxiety and therefore needed the most expensive possible diet.

Dogs are great but holy cow I’ve heard of some cases when people are in a stage of life not pet appropriate who decide to get them anyway. One was in a tiny apt working ten hours a day, but you see having two dogs meant they’d entertain each other when left home alone five days a week and were trained to poop in the tub.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Predestination is a huge dick move for sure, but I don't know that it's really worse than the whole "God made the ultimate sacrifice because he loves you despite your sinful, sinful ways. The only way you can find salvation is through complete submission to his will." Reads like textbook abusive manipulation to me :shrug:

I think the god of the Tanakh is a textbook abusive dad. My non-smug atheist theory is that for a bunch of semi nomadic sheep herding tribes in the mad max but with chariots world of the post bronze age collapse, anthropomorphizing the natural and man made cruelty and indifference of the world into a father figure gave an important psychological sense of control and order to their lives. Really the same way any conspiracy theory develops.

I hope it doesn't come across as to much of an r/atheism hot take to say that to me psychologically speaking religion is a legitimized conspiracy theory. To me this doesn't invalidate religion, just that it's important to understand these were people like us confronting some very traumatic poo poo with the best tools they had, and even the things they got wrong teach us something important about ourselves.

shame on an IGA posted:

Calvin is where poo poo really started going off the rails IMO

I'd argue in my Jewish atheist opinion that Christianity went off the rails either from Saul of Tarsus's deep cover psyop to undermine the the woke SJW gospels with teachings the reinforced existing social power structures or from Constantine appropriating it as tool of imperial coercion.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I once spent 8 hours in line in Colorado for a "chance" to view rescue dogs for adoption after filling out an extremely onerous and invasive application. Never got to see one; after that we just looked on Craigslist and got a puppy from a surprise litter that happened after two neighboring ranch dogs had a tryst. We made another attempt at getting a rescue dog a few years later and gave up after weeks of back-and-forth, agreements to let inspectors tour our home, interviews, etc. Pet culture in the US develops a lot of extremely strange attitudes.
A few years back we looked into getting a dog from a couple of recuse groups, and they all wanted insane bullshit like you are describing. References, home inspections, interviews, trial periods, and an agreement that they group could take the dog back at any time. We looked at several groups and they all had this batshit insanity.

Our friends were going through the human being foster/adoption process at the same time, and the similarity was not lost on me.

Ended up getting a puppy from the local shelter with zero rigmarole. I think most of their "questions to ask people" flowchart got bypassed because we already had a dog. Like seriously, rolled in when they opened, and were home with the dog an hour later.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

stealie72 posted:

A few years back we looked into getting a dog from a couple of recuse groups, and they all wanted insane bullshit like you are describing. References, home inspections, interviews, trial periods, and an agreement that they group could take the dog back at any time. We looked at several groups and they all had this batshit insanity.

Our friends were going through the human being foster/adoption process at the same time, and the similarity was not lost on me.

Ended up getting a puppy from the local shelter with zero rigmarole. I think most of their "questions to ask people" flowchart got bypassed because we already had a dog. Like seriously, rolled in when they opened, and were home with the dog an hour later.

Good puppy! That sounds like a better procedure than my coworker driving hundreds of miles to get a pug from a breeder, then immediately having a massive vet bill after it ate the rat poison that they had set up in their yard and hadn’t bothered to do a quick walk around to remove stuff like that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

We got a rabbit from a rescue in Riverside California 10 years or so ago. I setup an appointment and spent a few hours where my son had time to socialize with the rabbit and the staff could see that we were a good fit as pet owners. They tried to pull the same home inspection, right to pull them back, and other hoops before we could leave with anything. I told the lady that I'd spent months researching rabbit care, made our own rabbit hutch in my garage, and fenced off a huge area in our living room for the rabbit to run around in. We were going home with a rabbit but it was up to her whether it was a rescue from her organization or it was one from the PetSmart or PETCO up the road. She settled for us sending photos a couple days later of the rabbit settling into her new home.

From what I understand, there is a big pet resell market where people would go pick up pets from shelters and relist them on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace with rehoming fees to make a quick buck. It seems like places go overboard with weird requirements to try to mitigate against people doing poo poo like that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I’ve always just got pets from the local shelter. Cats are easy that way. I don’t care about bespoke fancy cats, and shelters usually have decent cats that are a few years old, so not as desirable as a kitten and at higher risk of being at shelters for months or years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We got our cats from a shelter and it couldn’t have been a more different experience. The last one we got, the staff member literally said they’d throw another one in for free. If you’re willing to adopt adult cats they’ll just toss’em at ya.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

mlmp08 posted:

I’ve always just got pets from the local shelter. Cats are easy that way. I don’t care about bespoke fancy cats
All kitties are bespoke and fancy :catbert:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My old roommate fostered a lot of dogs when I lived with her and also performed home checks as a volunteer for some of those rescues. Some are a little bit overboard but there's a good reason for them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Unfortunately, those measures are built in to deter or weed out people who would either try to resell the dog or train them to be a fighting dog (or worse, to be a bait dog). I've never actually heard of a rescue organization trying to take back someone's dog, at least not in my area.

When we adopted our first dog, we did go through the home visit and reference check and all that jazz, but when we got our second one, they waived all of that because we'd already been through the process once. These were two different rescue orgs as well.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

stealie72 posted:

It pretty much is.

It's a reptile House of God

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I got Beans when my neighbors at my last apartment complex were trapping stray/feral cats. Little dude was a wild late stage kitten. Worked out great, easily the smartest cat I've ever had.

Frank came from a rescue 200 miles away at the time and no one was coming to check my house. It was fine.

Beans just spent 10 minutes this morning teasing Frank with a tennis ball. I think, with enough time and tennis balls, I can teach Beans to throw tennis balls using his claws for Frank to catch.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I got Beans when my neighbors at my last apartment complex were trapping stray/feral cats. Little dude was a wild late stage kitten. Worked out great, easily the smartest cat I've ever had.

Frank came from a rescue 200 miles away at the time and no one was coming to check my house. It was fine.

Beans just spent 10 minutes this morning teasing Frank with a tennis ball. I think, with enough time and tennis balls, I can teach Beans to throw tennis balls using his claws for Frank to catch.

We recently discovered that one of our COVID shelter cats will play fetch. But only with those plastic rings from bottles.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, milk jug rings were popular with one of my previous cats. But so were puzzle pieces. Anything small that she could push around. Problem was she never brought the milk ring back and would just gnaw on it if I didn't get it back. She was a very dumb cat.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

ASAPI posted:

We recently discovered that one of our COVID shelter cats will play fetch. But only with those plastic rings from bottles.

A buddy of mine had a cat who would only play catch with crumpled up money

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

slurm posted:

Dude, choke on all the dicks.

Edit: That wasn’t the post I meant to quote.

Still, eat all the cock meat.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 10, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My wife refuses to adopt from or work with most dog rescues for the reasons people already listed here. A lot of it is insane levels of requirements and bullshit they expect potential adopters to go through, as well as being poorly run or financed, as well as in some cases hoarding animals in their shelters. Oh and a lot of the time, they are very big on getting those sweet sweet monetary donations, but are quick to ignore the advice and guidelines given to them by staff vets, and use those donations to pad salaries for non-medical staff.

All three of my dogs came from the non-profit/Gov run shelter my wife worked at for a few years. The two perks we had because she worked there was that we didn't need to pay the adoption fee, and she basically got to snag them before they were made available for the public at large to adopt.

Beyond that, all they ask for whenever you adopt is the fee (IIRC it's like 150-200 for a dog, and it's just to cover spay/neuter, microchip, and initial vaccines), an application, and you basically just signing a contract saying that if for any reason you cannot take adequate care of the dog for whatever reason, you surrender the dog back to them. Not "We can take your dog from you!", just "Hey if it's not working out, just bring them back to us. No questions asked. We just want to ensure they're safe.." They even tell you if the dog needs medical care that you can't afford, to surrender it to them so they can "pay" for it, and assuming the medical care isn't due to you being a poo poo dog owner, they'll often ensure you get the dog back once they're recovered.

And the contract is more so if a dog you adopt ends up in their shelter again and was clearly neglected or abandoned, they can go ahead and blacklist you from adopting again. Oh and as my wife puts it, the fee is more to stop people from hoarding pets/dog fighting rings from acquiring free dogs. They will do "empty the shelter" days all the damned time, and usually waive the fee so long as the adopter passes the smell test.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 10, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Unfortunately, those measures are built in to deter or weed out people who would either try to resell the dog or train them to be a fighting dog (or worse, to be a bait dog). I've never actually heard of a rescue organization trying to take back someone's dog, at least not in my area.

When we adopted our first dog, we did go through the home visit and reference check and all that jazz, but when we got our second one, they waived all of that because we'd already been through the process once. These were two different rescue orgs as well.

What's a bait dog? I assume for hunting larger game like bears or something?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Dude, choke on all the dicks.

Edit: That wasn’t the post I meant to quote.

Still, eat all the cock meat.

Now I wanna know who you quoted first

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's very :smith:

dogs used by dog fighting rings to "train" other dogs to fight and kill other dogs. Usually smaller dogs that will have zero to little chance of inflicting harm on the dog being "trained". It's incredibly hosed up.

My wife has gone on a handful of raids with animal control and law enforcement to break up rings as well as gone to court to testify a few times as an expert witness. These people are massive pieces of poo poo and I wouldn't piss on them if they were burning alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

a bait dog is used as a mauling target to teach fighting dogs how to fight and mutilate other dogs. It's probably worse than what you're imagining.