Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if it were just regular ports and they were making us buy each game individually I’d call BS but with the insane level of quality of this remaster, $40+40+40 for the whole trilogy would be absolutely worth it, zero hesitation from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Augus posted:

Prime 2 is amazing actually and sanctuary fortress in HD would absolutely melt my brain

Hear me out on this:

HD Rezbits.

:getin:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Remasters of 2 and 3 on the level of this one aren't something they can just toss together, so unless they've already done them or Nintendo just isn't making new hardware until 2026 or whatever, I don't think they're projects they can just throw out as filler.

Wasn't the rumour that some other studio was doing 2/3 and they were basically just upscales?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Wii controls absolutely made 1&2 way way easier even if they were more fun. Even putting aside the accuracy boost, stuff like being able to shoot left while you moved right or hit things while not locking on are things the Enemy design was just absolutely not made to handle.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they also reduced the default difficulty of prime 2 on wii and made the original difficulty 'veteran mode'. some of the hardest bosses in the original were nerfed even on veteran mode too. i only ever played the wii version so i never experienced just how bullshit the original boost guardian apparently was.

prime 2 is pretty good but you could tell development was a little rushed - the two worlds concept was a bit half-baked in execution, the ammo stuff was pointless, some of the backtracking you have to do is particularly out of the way and breaks up the flow when each area is mostly self-contained otherwise

prime 3 really doesn't have that much going for it compared to the others, it streamlined things too much. it makes an attempt at having more of a plot but it's not very compelling (though at least it wasn't other m). it's still decent, just lacking as a metroid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
How do the beams work in terms of DPS? Is one ever preferable over another outside of special traits?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The plasma beam is the kill them dead beam but before you get that it's mostly about special interactions

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I'm so glad you can still do some sequence breaking like this one bit in Phendrana! Pointer controls make it super easy to pull off like with the Trilogy controls.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1623962557957705729

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

DoctorWhat posted:

kim wexler

Better Call Sylux

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are there any quality of life improvements aside from the controls?

Like, are any things people found annoying fixed like Wind Waker HD?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

LividLiquid posted:

Without any knowledge of this remaster - no, there are no QOL issues with Metroid Prime that needed fixing.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

LividLiquid posted:

There is, but more of an environmental-hint QoL there's now artifact-marked crates near some artifacts. I found some crates near the one in the Phendrana space pirate labs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

lih posted:

they also reduced the default difficulty of prime 2 on wii and made the original difficulty 'veteran mode'. some of the hardest bosses in the original were nerfed even on veteran mode too. i only ever played the wii version so i never experienced just how bullshit the original boost guardian apparently was.

The boost guardian didn’t give me much trouble that I recall, the one I remember hating with a burning passion was the loving spider ball guardian.

gently caress that fight forever.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Metroid Prime 3 is good, actually and the Pirate Homeworld is one of the single best locations in the entire series.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I loved MP3 but probably because each area was built like a big Zelda dungeon. Even the puzzles themselves were very Zelda-esque. Plus Pirate Homeworld was extremely cool and the Phazon world was a great climax to the whole Prime series.

But I also didn't grow up playing any Metroid and I bounced off Prime 1 on the Gamecube because I hated the controls. I borrowed a friend's copy of Prime 3 years later and played a good chunk of it so it essentially is my first Metroid game. I didn't know what I was missing out on the time. When I finally played through the whole thing, I'd played Super and the first two Prime games so I understood how annoying the linearity was. But I spent so much time lost in MP2 (playing on way too dark and small a TV) that it was pretty relieving to just be told where to go.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Prime 3 is the only one I ever played and I absolutely loved it.

Excited to get into the Prime 1 remaster at some point when I have more time. Thus far this year has been a good backlog adventure, so I'm gonna keep that going for now. poo poo, I still need to beat Dread.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

When pointer control worked it was great. When it didn't and you were trying to quickly hit fiddly weak spots it was a nightmare. The final boss of 3 took me ages.

I never had an issue with the gyro stuff though, that felt pretty neat to do and they didn't try to make it do more than it could.

I absolutely despise gyro but pointer controls were perfect for me 100% of the time. It was the closest anyone ever got to Mouse + Keyboard on a console.

That being said "It was fine for me" isn't a rebuttal of you finding that it didn't work sometimes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbh I preferred the original control schemes in 1+2 over the pointer controls. these games were never meant to be traditional shooters so more precise aiming has minimal benefit and a lot of enemies (in Prime 1 particularly) have deceptively small weak points that you wouldn’t really notice with the classic lock-on but became insanely annoying with pointer controls. also I prefer to just relax my arms.

the dual analogue controls in the remake work really well

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 10, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Each one of the prime games has at least one thing that puts it ahead of the other two. The first one is the most cohesive experience, the second one has the best boss fights, the third one has the most pleasurable controls and feels best. All three are good and all three have some awesome memorable areas, etc. Metroid is good

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Also, I’m just gonna put it out there, all the Ing Guardian fights rule. Spider Guardian is one of my favorite bosses in the series

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The mad lads really double-mapped the buttons to where you can play with the normal button layout, or (mostly) play with the L/R and zL/zR buttons, and only gently caress around with the others when you’re changing beams/visors, or need morph ball.

It’s taking a little getting used to for how much I played the original Primes on GC, but I’m loving the new control scheme.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Also, I’m just gonna put it out there, all the Ing Guardian fights rule. Spider Guardian is one of my favorite bosses in the series

Quadraxis and Chykka are great fights with great music too

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Remasters of 2 and 3 on the level of this one aren't something they can just toss together, so unless they've already done them or Nintendo just isn't making new hardware until 2026 or whatever, I don't think they're projects they can just throw out as filler.

Wasn't the rumour that some other studio was doing 2/3 and they were basically just upscales?

Just because they didn't hype this up previously doesn't mean they just tossed it together.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

How do the beams work in terms of DPS? Is one ever preferable over another outside of special traits?
In MP1? The plasma beam has the highest DPS but the game is designed such that beam use is intended to be more situational.

The power beam has the fastest fire rate but is the weakest. Good for killing tunnel critters though.

The wave beam is a bit slower but stronger than power. Its big advantage though is that (charged) wave shots will home-in on your locked-on enemies though so it's the best weapon for highly-evasive enemies like the flying pirates. Its disadvantage is that it causes electrical disturbances--mostly this is an issue with turrets that can cause them to spam fire, usually better to do charged power shots or missiles in the early game (where you encounter more turrets).

The ice beam is the slowest and projectile. But, when it does freeze enemies it stops them dead in their tracks. It's good for enemies that do straight-line melee attacks, which includes Metroids. It's also the only weapon that reliably disables those water triangle guys (jelzaps, had to look it up).

The plasma beam has a pretty fast fire rate and is quite strong, but most of the damage comes from cumulative "burning" since you're basically cooking enemies with it. It's good for fire-and-forget scenarios, but beware that there is a window where high-HP enemies (mostly pirates) can still attack you while they're cooking.

Beyond that, some enemies are straight-up vulnerable/invulnerable to certain weapons. The end of the game throws color-coded pirates at you that you have to deal with in the obvious way.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Icon Of Sin posted:

The mad lads really double-mapped the buttons to where you can play with the normal button layout, or (mostly) play with the L/R and zL/zR buttons, and only gently caress around with the others when you’re changing beams/visors, or need morph ball.
I'm amused that the dual analog layout basically matches what I setup in PrimeHack on my Deck. I think putting missiles on R is a little weird since you have to do the ZR+R charge combo, but it felt more satisfying than putting missiles on a face button.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
My hot take is I find the level design of two more interesting than 1 even if two has other issues going on

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sanctuary fortress ftw

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I remember there apparently being some differences between the US and EU versions of Prime 1, that removed a lot of possible skips - I think by dumping Power Bomb obstacles over a couple of late game doors?

a) am I tripping and b) does the remaster include these extra obstacles? My only experience was with the EU version.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jables88 posted:

I remember there apparently being some differences between the US and EU versions of Prime 1, that removed a lot of possible skips - I think by dumping Power Bomb obstacles over a couple of late game doors?
Yeah there's some of these in the maintenance tunnel in Phazon Mines. They're in the Wii Trilogy version too, which I assume the remaster is based on, but I haven't played it yet.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 10, 2023

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Retro seemed to have some weird grudge against sequence breakers and 'fixed' a bunch of skips in every newer version of Prime 1 released. The loving Players Choice version released in the US had stuff blocking the sequence breaks, and the European version had some too. The Euro version also added the weird narration and changed some scans to fix plot holes. If the barrier around the Impact Crater is impenetrable, how did Metorid Prime, a Space Pirate experiment get in there? I think the Euro version changes that so Metroid Prime was there before the Pirates, somehow?

Without proof, I assume that this is based on the last version of Prime in terms of fixes. Not sure which version of the scans it went with, though.

EDIT: Like yeah, there were legitimate bug fixes to try to fix crashes, but there were also things in there to stop sequence breaks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a lot of the sequence breaks could easily lead to softlocks and/or dead save files which is not something you want in your game. they didn't do it to personally spite you.

afaik the remaster is more or less in line with Trilogy in terms of bug fixes

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Veotax posted:

EDIT: Like yeah, there were legitimate bug fixes to try to fix crashes, but there were also things in there to stop sequence breaks.
I assume the concern was that if sequence breaks enabled you to obtain items out of order, they couldn't be certain you wouldn't softlock yourself later by getting into an area with ability B (and saving) that you need ability A to get back out of (with the assumption that normally you have A before B). It's probably since been sorted out by the speed-running community that you can't get stuck, and some of these tricks you're probably not going to run into in casual play anyways, but Retro wasn't in a position to necessarily know those things when these issues were discovered by play testers.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CainFortea posted:

Just because they didn't hype this up previously doesn't mean they just tossed it together.

I never said they did - I'm saying that unless they also already remade 2 and/or 3 during the time they allegedly finished and shelved this one, it's going to be years before they could realistically put out even just one of them, let alone both.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

all I know is that Nintendo charging $40 for easily the highest-effort remaster they’ve done when they usually charge the full 60 only makes sense to me if they plan on releasing all three games at 40 bucks a pop

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I never said they did - I'm saying that unless they also already remade 2 and/or 3 during the time they allegedly finished and shelved this one, it's going to be years before they could realistically put out even just one of them, let alone both.

You were certainly implying it. Also no, it's not an all or nothing thing. They could have started working on 2 not long after they started on 1. Also doing this work to remaster 1 would certainly make it easier to do the next ones as processes and tools are improved.

Basically since they didn't say anything about this release before it was done, anything anyone says about comparing this to any theoretical future games is meaningless.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CainFortea posted:

You were certainly implying it.

I did not get the sense they were implying that, they were pretty clearly saying “this remaster was very high-effort so doing 2 and 3 would naturally also be very high-effort and that might be way too much time being spent doing remasters as opposed to a new game”

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CainFortea posted:

You were certainly implying it. Also no, it's not an all or nothing thing. They could have started working on 2 not long after they started on 1. Also doing this work to remaster 1 would certainly make it easier to do the next ones as processes and tools are improved.

Basically since they didn't say anything about this release before it was done, anything anyone says about comparing this to any theoretical future games is meaningless.

I was not implying it, and the whole reason I made that post to begin with was as a response to someone who seemed sure they could just throw out remasters of 2 and 3 to fill gaps in the schedule or whatever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

I did not get the sense they were implying that, they were pretty clearly saying “this remaster was very high-effort so doing 2 and 3 would naturally also be very high-effort and that might be way too much time being spent doing remasters as opposed to a new game”

This is what I understood as well.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I was not implying it, and the whole reason I made that post to begin with was as a response to someone who seemed sure they could just throw out remasters of 2 and 3 to fill gaps in the schedule or whatever.

Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah there's no reason that MP2R couldn't be in development right now given both games are roughly on the same engine after porting it to work on the switch.