Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

But it very clearly states it's not a passport at the bottom :confused:

Ofc not, it's a picture of a passport :smugbert:

:magrittesay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

Imagine being Irish and not being British, must be some buzz.

it does require imagination for many of us are both

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that's caused a lot of problems, historically

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
But at least we can choose who to side with when the first one falls.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The 15 Minute Cities thing is probably a pretty canny combination of far-right conspiracy theories and anti-LTN derangement.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Brian Boruxit

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

LTNs is such a hot button issue that wouldn’t be such a lightening rod for pure commuter rage if we still had things like buses or trains

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:raise:

sebzilla posted:

Brian Boruxit

:pusheen:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

it does require imagination for many of us are both

Wow, traitors. Death by being hung drawn & quartered for all these dual nationality turncoat talking down Britain

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if the RA really did fake their decommissioning as many suspect, it'd prob be worth getting the guns out of the cavity walls now that most of the UK's military hardware is in ukraine

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that'd be a coronation to remember

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

crispix posted:

that'd be a coronation to remember

It would certainly give a modern twist to the 21 gun salute

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

...... these dual nationality turncoat talking down Britain

Pretty sure it's the ''pure'' British that are doing that without us getting involved, us duals have options.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Objecting to the 15 minute city thing is so bizarre because why would anyone living in a city not want local services within 15 minutes of them?

Oh wait, it's because they don't want The Poors at their nice local well-funded services, and prefer them corralled in areas with lovely or no amenities elsewhere.

I mean it's easy to see how it can be weaponized. All you have to do is change it from
"Imagine living in a city where everything you need is 15 minutes away."
To " Imagine living in a city where everything you need is 15 minutes away."

All the disingenuous have to do is frame it in such a way that it makes it sound like the Government wants to build a bunch of these cities. Which becomes "The Government want you all to live in cities."

And that's effective, even if it's bullshit.
Like I absolutely would not want to live in a city, even if everything I want is supposedly 15 minutes from me.

And that's all they need to tap into.

Now I don't support this guy since
1) He's a twat.
2) He is supremely disingenuous. You can tell by the obvious lie of "low emission zones kill the economy and don't help the environment."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

A city where everything you might usually need is within 15 minutes of where you live.

This is terrible because communists also tried to plan a city once.

And you know who else built a city :jewish:

Speaking of "we should ban it in cities but keep it legal in my home counties cottage"

Barry Foster posted:

I was raised by George "the rebels are literally the Vietcong and I hate the British and American empires" Lucas and Gene "Horny Space Communist Utopia" Roddenberry, which is why I turned out so drat great

I tried to read the first Harry Potter book but even at eleven or so I could tell it was dumb poo poo for babbies and put it down a few chapters in

The first three, ironically, are probably the best ones. Once it hits four and it's twice as thick as the first three, it really starts to get dire.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 10, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sounds like Keith thinks he’s got a spicy story. Expenses part 2

https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1623995277907558401?s=46&t=0brPFOu607LTBRpgU9xkfg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"the Government Procurement Card (GPD)"
:confused:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

keep punching joe posted:

Imagine being Irish and not being British, must be some buzz.

Typical Ulster W.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Aphex- posted:

I spent too many years sitting on those loving buses. I'd live 2 miles from the centre and it would still take me 45 minutes to get there. I could have walked faster. Now I've moved 30 miles out of the city and it takes me about that time to drive in, it's insane. Thank god for WFH.

Fun fact Queens Road was the most congested/polluted road in the country when I lived in a shared house/tenement on it. Then I moved to Oxford for work and a few months later a BBC article came out about Cowley Road now being the worst one, right where I moved to a small studio.

I sure know how to pick where to live.

e: Thinking about it I now live next to one of the busiest roads in Cambridge. Maybe it's pathological. More likely it's because they are relatively cheap yet accessible places to live.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 10, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Fun fact Queens Road was the most congested/polluted road in the country when I lived in a shared house/tenement on it. Then I moved to Oxford for work and a few months later a BBC article came out about Cowley Road now being the worst one, right where I moved to a small studio.

I sure know how to pick where to live.

e: Thinking about it I now live next to one of the busiest roads in Cambridge. Maybe it's pathological. More likely it's because they are relatively cheap yet accessible places to live.

there's a common denominator here!!!!!!!!!!!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I for one would love to see Sunak lead a room full of Tories in a "Lowtax Party"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ain't no party like lowtaaax paaaarrdaaaay heeeeeeey hoooooooo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I deliberately chose my house because it was just off the local high street and I could walk to the supermarkets, pubs, cafes etc in just a couple of minutes. I've lived out in big sprawling estates before with no facilities in walking distance and it sucked and I hated it.

I think the whole fear of the 15 minute city thing is tied in with terror of a return to Covid lockdowns and everyone being confined to their immediate neighbourhoods, forever. It's not rational but it's easy to tie it into a conspiracy theory where the powers that be want to set this system up so that they can introduce restrictions at the drop of a hat and the infrastructure's already there to make it happen.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pistol_Pete posted:

I think the whole fear of the 15 minute city thing is tied in with terror of a return to Covid lockdowns and everyone being confined to their immediate neighbourhoods, forever. It's not rational but it's easy to tie it into a conspiracy theory where the powers that be want to set this system up so that they can introduce restrictions at the drop of a hat and the infrastructure's already there to make it happen.

Yes, this is basically it. My local facebook community started talking abut 15 minute cities and all the anti vax climate change denialists have jumped on it now. I'm not saying my locals are any more stupid or gullible than most, but they're a great barometer of whatever stupidity is going to catch on. In the one that was at the top of the community page when I just logged on, they posted a link to Sharon Davies talking about being silenced on the issue (yes, she was holding a microphone, on a stage, being broadcast online with over 100,000 views - that kind of silencing). This also links it into the other fun topic, yes indeed all your favourite TERFs are going to be getting on board with this conspiracy theory. If these grifters know one thing, it's brand synergy.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The big sprawling estate near me with gently caress all shops in it has the same houses as my just off the high street estate but double the price. I just do not understand prices.

In other news. loving hell, i refuse to click this and give it engagement.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

being polite has taken a turn for the caring about other people

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lol look at his little face

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that from the new Harry Potter game with the antisemitic cheese?

Marmaduke! posted:

This also links it into the other fun topic, yes indeed all your favourite TERFs are going to be getting on board with this conspiracy theory.
Fifteen gender cities! :byodood:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again though, a place where everything is in walking distance is called a village for fucks sake, it's how people lived for all of loving history before some twatfeatures invented cars.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why do some food tins stack but not all of them

WE'VE INVENTED STACKING TINS, WHY DO OTHERS STILL EXIST

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Microplastics posted:

up pops a smiling branded pint glass

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Microplastics posted:

the new world order doesn't want you to be able to stockpile food

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Again though, a place where everything is in walking distance is called a village for fucks sake, it's how people lived for all of loving history before some twatfeatures invented cars.
The face of totalitarian communism:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

No jobs in the village. We can’t all work at Londis it’s too small.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Well yes, but we also invented the streetcar suburb or alternatively that's why people want walkable cities so you can have jobs and convenient services...

loving insane people who apparently enjoy getting in their car and driving thirty miles to go to the out of town retail park to buy things.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

There's all the fields around that need ploughing.

Or turning into newbuild estates.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i knew all hope for a future was lost the day i heard a woman talking about taking her daughter to birmingham for a long weekend so they could visit the world's biggest primark :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
... that involves getting a plane, from here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean, i once drove to another country for tacos.