Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I tried watching that and quickly left feeling old and angry and out of touch.

feedmyleg has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

feedmyleg posted:

I tried watching that and quickly left feeling old angry and and out of touch.

Reg date: old

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah i'm not watching any of the ai streamer stuff. call me old fashioned but i'll stick with vtubers like a normal person

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Did someone automate streaming lmao

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i was thinking about getting into this streaming thing by putting a camera up rear end in a top hat

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Better do it quick, soon replicants will stream their assholes

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
ChatGPT has a theory of the mind and Rutibex was right. Bet you all feel like dumb assholes now:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=34730365

(no i have NOT read the article)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

I tried watching that and quickly left feeling old and angry and out of touch.

Less than five seconds before I noped out.

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

cat botherer posted:

ChatGPT has a theory of the mind and Rutibex was right. Bet you all feel like dumb assholes now:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=34730365

(no i have NOT read the article)

top comment in that discussion correctly points out that the article is nonsense:

quote:

This highlights one of the types of muddled thinking around LLMs. These tasks are used to test theory of mind because for people, language is a reliable representation of what type of thoughts are going on in the person's mind. In the case of an LLM the language generated doesn't have the same relationship to reality as it does for a person.

What is being demonstrated in the article is that given billions of tokens of human-written training data, a statistical model can generate text that satisfies some of our expectations of how a person would respond to this task. Essentially we have enough parameters to capture from existing writing that statistically, the most likely word following "she looked in the bag labelled (X), and saw that it was full of (NOT X). She felt " is "surprised" or "confused" or some other word that is commonly embedded alongside contradictions.

What this article is not showing (but either irresponsibly or naively suggests) is that the LLM knows what a bag is, what a person is, what popcorn and chocolate are, and can then put itself in the shoes of someone experiencing this situation, and finally communicate its own theory of what is going on in that person's mind. That is just not in evidence.

and the top reply completely misses the point:

quote:

I wonder every time I see this take what it would mean under this definition of knowing things for a machine learning algorithm to ever know something. I find that especially important because to every appearance we are a machine learning algorithm. I don’t know how different the sort of knowing this algorithm has to the sort of knowing a human has, but you’re far more confident than I am that it’s a difference of kind rather than degree.

everyone loves to believe machine learning is doing human brain poo poo and human brains are merely machine learning algorithms. im loving dying. turns out people are completely ill-equipped to deal with language models because as soon as the computer spews out convincing speech we refuse to believe that the machine is doing anything other than "thinking" and "knowing" things.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

turing was right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ned Ludd was right

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ned Ludd was right

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Let ludd's hammers cleanse the menace

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
John searle was still wrong and dumb though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ai talks and acts exactly like a weird wow streamer and yet nobody has made an ai cat i can pet on my phone
priorities are hosed

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Oh cool, is this the thread for the upcoming Butlerian Jihad?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Thou shalt not make a machine in the vague image of a human that will confuse the stupidest among us.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

the ai talks and acts exactly like a weird wow streamer and yet nobody has made an ai cat i can pet on my phone
priorities are hosed

get a 3ds, you can put a dog or cat on there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Real hurthling! posted:

priorities are hosed

I like to find cats behind the dumpster at mcdonalds

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

they make a psp but they don't make a pspspspspspsps (to make cats come close so I can squish their widdle faces)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
There's probably an ai catgirl by now

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's definitely some japanese weirdo torturing a realdoll girlfriend with robot AI personality in his basement or something

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I guess rutibex was ahead of their time itt

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

priorities are hosed
bring back oddballz, I need my spirit animal

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
lol if you don't have a bunch of little weirdos living in your phone

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TACD posted:

bring back oddballz, I need my spirit animal

i love honker :neckbeard:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Kitfox88 posted:

Let ludd's hammers cleanse the menace

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sometimes good guys don't wear white. but sometimes they do.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

He's a modern cool hand luke

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

sometimes good guys don't wear white. but sometimes they do.

Nobody gonna mess with him in jail that's for sure

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

I played Stockfish (white) against ChatGPT (black)

Wow yeah GPT is a real intelligence alright

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wow yeah GPT is a real intelligence alright

loving lmao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Were a bunch of illegal moves made or was it like RAM'S JAMBOREE suddenly the rules are different poo poo? Seemed just as weird and arbitrary as actual professional play.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

didn't watch too closely but at one point the black queen phases through a pawn to take the rook next to the white king

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they already made a robot that's good at doing chess

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kitfox88 posted:

Were a bunch of illegal moves made or was it like RAM'S JAMBOREE suddenly the rules are different poo poo? Seemed just as weird and arbitrary as actual professional play.

I'm guessing they fed the moves to GPT in algebraic notation and it spat something back at them, which they then entered into Stockfish and asked it to make a move, rinse repeat.

At one point GPT tries to illegally mimic Stockfish's castling and deletes its own bishop. It repeatedly illegally moves its pieces straight through other pieces in the way. At one point its knight moves diagonally to capture a piece, like a pawn. A rook moves across the entire board, not even in a straight line, to capture a piece, and then starts behaving like a bishop. And it resurrects its queen, two knights, and three pawns from the dead by just ignoring that they got captured.

e: In short it starts off fairly normal as GPT copies basic chess openings from its corpus and cribs notes from Stockfish, and then just goes completely off the rails because GPT has no actual understanding of state of the board or chess rules and is just making moves essentially at random based off the format of the prompt and the history of the conversation.

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Feb 10, 2023

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kitfox88 posted:

king decides to castle and accidentally deletes a bishop that got in the way? qualified immunity

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
calvinchess

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Black does A Lot in that game but i particularly enjoy castling to friendly fire frag capture your own dark square bishop just because your opponent castled and That Looks Smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
its impressive that it did as well as it did for literally not knowing how to play chess. i wonder if it would consistently play early openings well