Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-67

Priority power switches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I wonder if the priority is per switch or over the entire network. Per switch is probably the easiest to implement but over the entire network would be a lot more useful; I tend to have generation capability in a lot of different areas, not all feeding into a single switch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume per switch, but you could presumably join generators to a sort of main trunk line with lesser priority sources being gated behind low priority switches, and things like solar and wind wired directly in.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It would be nice if you could arrange your electrical network to prioritise local production and only buy power when you don't produce enough on your own.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yes, it sounds like per switch, which isn't great, but better than nothing at this point. Especially if, for example, you can drop a number of wind turbines near where power goes to a town. It would be much nicer if there were a way to more generally set power priorities rather than per switch, but at this point we're starting to reproduce the complexities of the actual power system, such as having different levels of on-demand or stored power sources (which I really would like, especially for solar and such).

Philippe posted:

It would be nice if you could arrange your electrical network to prioritise local production and only buy power when you don't produce enough on your own.

i think that's actually possible, at least to a limited extent. The switches have two forms of priority to set, output priority and input priority. If you can have a general feed line near ish to the border, and hook that to a switch along with your main power line, you can say "prefer power from this source, then use additional power from the other source"

The problem is being able to have a large, interconnected power network, where you are able to specify the power draw per source for the entire network over a number of switches at the same time, so that the coal plant will only actually be drawn from if there isn't enough power on the whole, but without requiring an entire chunk of the power network to be routed directly through that area.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 6, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Philippe posted:

That is what the new switches are intended to do, you can set priorities for both input and output, so you can set it up to prefer input from your power plants but import from the border if that is not met, as well as to export if all other demands are met.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

The problem is being able to have a large, interconnected power network, where you are able to specify the power draw per source for the entire network over a number of switches at the same time, so that the coal plant will only actually be drawn from if there isn't enough power on the whole, but without requiring an entire chunk of the power network to be routed directly through that area.

I have the feeling that should be possible by using mostly local power grids, but connecting them together using the priority switches. So mostly you have local demand (and local priorities) but if one grid cannot supply itself for whatever reason, it will start to draw from neighbouring grids and their priorities for generation will dictate how they supply that demand.

As with many things it seems like it will emphasise network design.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Apparently the maker of a cosmonaut guide is suing the developers?
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/784150/view/3647388792201529684?l=english

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just let the lawyers handle it god drat

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

Seriously, I imagine like this kind of "Die Blog mad" attitude is counter productive. That said, I don't think you can claim a steam guide as entitling you to money.

I recommend that the cosmonaut author cry exactly one (1) manly tear, then continue onwards towards greatness, as they themselves suggest.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

This, for real. They've been so professional and nice about everything they've done and this blogpost makes me really go "What the gently caress are you guys doing?" I don't think it probably puts them in any trouble, but what the gently caress lol. It's a legal issue, pay the lawyer and don't think about it again. If anything, Mad Blogs could set off some edge idiots in the community.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Apparently the guy's a lawyer (or at least is claiming to be) and has also been DMCAing youtube channels for playing in 'his' mode without giving him credit. They say they're worried that he's gone to Steam to try to get the game taken off it, and with their website down, their youtube channel getting strikes, and them not having an active twitter presence, it looks like they're running out of ways to actually communicate with the community. If it does get taken off Steam they'd have no way left to tell people what's going on. The sort of theories that'd pop up to fill the silence could easily turn into an even worse PR nightmare than what's actually happening.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand I agree it's dumb to blog post about a spat with a community member but on the other their own website has been taken down and so have YouTube videos promoting the game, that's pretty rough on a small dev studio like this.

YouTube is notorious for not following up on false DMCA claims and who knows how long it'll take to get their website back online. I'd be pretty worried in their situation if the guy is trying to get Steam to remove the game.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I support them being mad fully, and I highly doubt small (🥺) computer people in Slovakia are familiar with the concept of needing to pay lawyers to deal with crazy. They're way to non-corporate for that. I'm not going to hold a single thing against them as they ride this out.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 10, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Same, gently caress that guy

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Don’t get me wrong. gently caress that guy. And hey if the mad blog helps them rally the community and weaken the Cosmonaut dude, then great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Steam may be ironically the right choice to nip this in the bud if they can get their attention. I haven't read the EULA because lol who has. But I would be surprised if Steam doesn't own guide content copyright.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

Steam may be ironically the right choice to nip this in the bud if they can get their attention. I haven't read the EULA because lol who has. But I would be surprised if Steam doesn't own guide content copyright.

If that’s true there’s a bunch of websites they could nuke because if you Google a steam guide it often pops up wholesale copied on some sketchy non steam website full of ads.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I had a second thought and that's probably not true because of Web 2.0isms about sites hosting user content and not being held liable.

Just need to lawyer up and counter claim that the text of the guide is not in the DMCAed media. Sucks.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
apparently he is also claiming that their adding a feature similar to Cosmonaut Mode constitutes breach of contract somehow

this is even dumber than modder drama since at least a person who made a mod actually made a tangible thing, this dude is throwing a tantrum because he didn't get paid for suggesting an idea, one that he was definitely not the only person to suggest either

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

you cant copyright game mechanics anyway. what a loving loser.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

you cant copyright game mechanics anyway. what a loving loser.

This, and I doubt that this is the first person who wrote to steam because the devs "stole" their idea. I think the game is relatively safe, but then again Valve's developer support is also not great.

Also the idea is just "don't push these buttons", the actual game mode does a bunch of poo poo in the codebase that was not part of the idea.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The guy likely has no standing but that won't stop him from causing real harm to the devs by getting stuff taken down (with possible long reviews before recovering it) and also people just looking into the game and seeing claims the developers "stole" the idea and not wanting to buy it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If "making game harder by not pressing buttons" is a stealable idea, cosmonaut mode guy better watch out for pannenkoek sliding backwards at the speed of light to break his kneecaps with a crowbar

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would literally just pay the guy to go away

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

I would literally just pay the guy to go away

I think the guy would like that very much actually, and gently caress that guy.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

straight to gulag

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The guy is a big enough dweeb to think writing a game guide entitles him to rights to the game that he would probably ask for like 1 million dollars or 25% of game sales, something equivalently dumb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tommy tallarico has one weird trick to repay his amico debts

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Especially given the “voice” he wrote the guide with I feel like I know the type. There’s probably not a lot to do to please him. I’d bet he’s more pissed some dude is a “famous” youtuber with his idea at gameplay even though he himself doesn’t want to put in the effort to record, edit, and be entertaining. Who knows though, I’m talking out of my rear end.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

there is a pair of little boxes on the right hand side of the screen that are the "beyond the border" offices

where the gently caress are these buttons!!!!

E: Silly, they only pop up if you enable Realistic mode as a setting. I'm playing essentially respecting realistic, but I hate having it permanently enabled for when I get frustrated by something and want to press buy - not to mention cosmetics that are near impossible to build in realistic.
E2: And also you can't use them to buy ships and send them to a dock?

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 14, 2023

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Nope, which sucks for cosmonaut. I think it's so you can't skip building docks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if you could do that then there would be basically no reason for a dock to exist.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
The game's store page is gone from Steam.

quote:

UPDATE 2023/02/16

THE GAME HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN DUE TO A DMCA REQUEST. The issue is described below. You cannot purchase the game at this time.

In short, one of the players who created a guide on how to play the game is now claiming that they own the rights to the game mode (Realistic mode). Thank you for your understanding! We are working to resolve the issue.

What the gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope Valve wakes the gently caress up on this because that seems like a pretty serious issue if customers posting walkthroughs is sufficient evidence for entire games being removed from the store.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That's bullshit.

Some rear end in a top hat can just DMCA an entire game they're not otherwise involved with? How does any game stay up, then?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Log082 posted:

That's bullshit.

Some rear end in a top hat can just DMCA an entire game they're not otherwise involved with? How does any game stay up, then?
DMCA takedowns operate on a thin veneer of "we live in a society" so the answer is no one has been so petty to bother. If this gets wide enough coverage we may see a spate of this sort of dumb thing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

What the gently caress! So bizarre.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Are you loving kidding me