Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Okay, I'll try to set it up and see if it is good.

Zach, if you want a new AV, then post what you want in here or just wait to cash it in later.

Anyone else can still recommend CRPGs. Preferably those made in the last 20 years that I can just purchase or pirate.

Divinity Original Sin II was the last game I got really into (and had the time to be in to), so it has been quite a few years. But, I also tried basically every other CRPG similar to DOS 2 and haven't found anything close to as good as that was.

I played Baldur's Gate 2 a lot 20 years ago and am eagerly awaiting Baldur's Gate 3, but nothing else is on my radar and Baldur's Gate 3 has been in development for almost 4 years now and it is killing me.

have some neat looking text ones on my wishlist called WARSIM something and Roadwarden. Also something called Signalis might be close. I've been sorting steam by reviews lately so even if not strictly what you are looking for they are probably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You don't need to defend everything your posting friends say, no matter how outrageous.

I really don't. Mostly them not being evil is how they became posting pals. Bish has done some classic USPOL style posting in USCE in a not allowed way and I absolutely understand the decision to threadban, but letting him join us here seems harmless and refusing to do so seems petty.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Has anyone tried a shredded memory foam pillow before?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I bet they're a good way to get a ton of microplastic inhalation in your sleep

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I sleep like a baby no matter what kind of pillow I have or even if I have one or not.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm afraid to spend a lot of money on a pillow because my greasy wop head ruins them in a matter of nights, pillowcase be damned

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My old pillow was an 80/20 feather/down that was made by a company that is no longer in business. I've been holding on to it forever, but it is starting to die and not hold like it did before.

I can't find another pillow that feels like it. Most places don't even sell 80/20 feather pillows anymore and the couple I have tried don't feel like the old one. Someone recommended the shredded pillow, though. I've never tried one.

Lib and let die posted:

I'm afraid to spend a lot of money on a pillow because my greasy wop head ruins them in a matter of nights, pillowcase be damned

Same. I've already tried and returned two, but get nervous/annoyed about trying new ones over and over or dropping any serious money on them.

selec posted:

I sleep like a baby no matter what kind of pillow I have or even if I have one or not.

My wife is the same way and I am jealous.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is that supposed to be explicitly different from just a memory foam pillow?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm also a stomach/side sleeper, which is apparently rare (stomach) or hard to find a pillow that doesn't either give you back pain or feel too firm like a rock (side).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm also a stomach/side sleeper, which is apparently rare (stomach) or hard to find a pillow that doesn't either give you back pain or feel too firm like a rock (side).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really recommend water pillows

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

I really recommend water pillows

Like from the toilet?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

in any case, i sleep on a memory foam pillow at like 45 degree angle between my chest and the bed, and it works great for me. it was also some random rear end $10 ikea "ergnomic sleep" pillow, and damned will i be for how we'll it has worked out in the 3 or 4 years of having it

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Leon, it sounds like we have similar crpg tastes. Icewind Dale is no BG2 but it scratches the itch a little bit for me.

Planescape Torment has an incredible story, but is handicapped by some lovely gameplay.

Both worth checking out if you haven't.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

Like from the toilet?

Nah, they're pillows with a bit of stuffing but the majority of it is a big water bag and you can adjust it for how soft or firm you want. I have a bad neck so I got one and it's great.

But also from the toilet

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Disco Elysium has made the efforts of every other similar RPG into children’s stories written in crayon, and I say this as a huge Baldur’s Gate fan. Those are products for children, and DE made a product for thinking adults.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zach, if you want a new AV, then post what you want in here or just wait to cash it in later.

Anyone else can still recommend CRPGs. Preferably those made in the last 20 years that I can just purchase or pirate.

Divinity Original Sin II was the last game I got really into (and had the time to be in to), so it has been quite a few years. But, I also tried basically every other CRPG similar to DOS 2 and haven't found anything close to as good as that was.

I played Baldur's Gate 2 a lot 20 years ago and am eagerly awaiting Baldur's Gate 3, but nothing else is on my radar and Baldur's Gate 3 has been in development for almost 4 years now and it is killing me.

Okay, fine.

You've played BG2, but you don't say if you've played the isometric, PROPER :argh: Fallouts. Fallout 2 is fine to start on its own, believe it or not its GUI actually has more creature comforts than Fallout 1. Fallout 1 is a more stream-lined whole and has less wacky late 90's humour, but 2 is bigger and has more stuff in.

The Baldur's Gate, erm, mid-quel (?), Siege of Dragonspear, is OK from what I hear, it plays more like BG2 but on rails, there's a lot of challenging combat encounters and such. And if you're not too hell-bent on a big major plot, there's always Icewind Dale (1), it's more of a linear dungeon romp in the BG2 Enhanced Edition engine.

In the other direction, there's Planescape: Torment, it's a very... Interesting game, and you can really role-play in that one. If you ever wanted to be an actually evil, awful to the core rotten bastard instead of a caricature of evil just kicking puppies for fun, this is the game for you. Or alternatively, if you like to ponder about the nature of existence and what our past deeds mean for ourselves, this is also the game for you.

If you don't mind turn-of-the-century-jank, there's Arcanum. The game-play is busted as hell (as in imbalanced, play a wizard if you try it and get the level 1 evil necromancy spell, you've just won the game), but there's a lot of amazing world-building, and you can even take sides in the industrial revolution and workers' rights! Also there's dwarves and elves. Just, uh, don't look too deep into what the gnomes are up to, that particular plot thread has some unfortunate subtext :ohdear:

Maybe not exactly a full-blown RPG, but Star Control 2 or the re-make Ur-Quan Masters is a fun romp through a zany galaxy undergoing a world galaxy portion war.

I never got very far in Tyranny, but I hear good things?

edit: all of this except Star Control is on Steam

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 10, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It says something really weird about group identification and the causes of personal sympathy that even though I think Bishyaler's style of posting doesn't really have a place in D&D, and he pissed me off constantly in the old thread, and he loves guns, and I called him the c-word one time, I am still kinda bummed about his ban because at the end of the day we are both refugees from the comic sans thread. :smith:

Bish if you are reading, I ordered an ounce of CBD flower on Wednesday; I'll share my thoughts on its efficacy when it arrives. In the meantime, kick back some H0s and hang out on a discord or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I had a waterbed in the 90's and regret getting rid of it. It was legitimately one of the best mattresses I have ever had. It was just very uncomfortable to perform marital duties and was always teetering on the edge of disaster if it sprung a leak on the second floor.

I will have to do some research on water pillows.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Leon, it sounds like we have similar crpg tastes. Icewind Dale is no BG2 but it scratches the itch a little bit for me.

Planescape Torment has an incredible story, but is handicapped by some lovely gameplay.

Both worth checking out if you haven't.

selec posted:

Disco Elysium has made the efforts of every other similar RPG into children’s stories written in crayon, and I say this as a huge Baldur’s Gate fan. Those are products for children, and DE made a product for thinking adults.

I've played Disco Elysium and Planescape. Planescape was like 20 years ago and I was bored by the gameplay. Might be worth a retry. Good suggestions, though!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It sounds like there are a lot of cool video games that aren't Civilization VI and I hope to play one someday.

Not today, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

Okay, fine.

You've played BG2, but you don't say if you've played the isometric, PROPER :argh: Fallouts. Fallout 2 is fine to start on its own, believe it or not its GUI actually has more creature comforts than Fallout 1. Fallout 1 is a more stream-lined whole and has less wacky late 90's humour, but 2 is bigger and has more stuff in.

The Baldur's Gate, erm, mid-quel (?), Siege of Dragonspear, is OK from what I hear, it plays more like BG2 but on rails, there's a lot of challenging combat encounters and such. And if you're not too hell-bent on a big major plot, there's always Icewind Dale (1), it's more of a linear dungeon romp in the BG2 Enhanced Edition engine.

In the other direction, there's Planescape: Torment, it's a very... Interesting game, and you can really role-play in that one. If you ever wanted to be an actually evil, awful to the core rotten bastard instead of a caricature of evil just kicking puppies for fun, this is the game for you. Or alternatively, if you like to ponder about the nature of existence and what our past deeds mean for ourselves, this is also the game for you.

If you don't mind turn-of-the-century-jank, there's Arcanum. The game-play is busted as hell (as in imbalanced, play a wizard if you try it and get the level 1 evil necromancy spell, you've just won the game), but there's a lot of amazing world-building, and you can even take sides in the industrial revolution and workers' rights! Also there's dwarves and elves. Just, uh, don't look too deep into what the gnomes are up to, that particular plot thread has some unfortunate subtext :ohdear:

Maybe not exactly a full-blown RPG, but Star Control 2 or the re-make Ur-Quan Masters is a fun romp through a zany galaxy undergoing a world galaxy portion war.

I never got very far in Tyranny, but I hear good things?

edit: all of this except Star Control is on Steam

Tyranny was kind of neat. They don't have a traditional good and evil moral system that was a lot of fun.

I've played the rest except for Siege of Dragonspear and Arcanum. Mid-century jank is a bit of a turnoff, though.

Never heard of Star Control or Ur-Quan, but they aren't RPGs? Are they action/sims? Edit: Nevermind, I've looked at their wiki pages and know what you mean now.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 10, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tyranny was kind of neat. They don't have a traditional good and evil moral system that was a lot of fun.

I've played the rest except for Siege of Dragonspear and Arcanum. Mid-century jank is a bit of a turnoff, though.

Never heard of Star Control or Ur-Quan, but they aren't RPGs? Are they action/sims?

You're the captain of the ship in Star Control, you fly around the galaxy and try to stop the world war. You improve your ship and make buddies, but you don't exactly gain XP and develop your character sheet. Oh and there's space dog fights. As in space ships going pew pew at each other. Wikipedia calls it an "action-adventure sci-fi game", but that's about as descriptive as a sock.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also if you have not played any games by Spiderweb Software you should get on that

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

It says something really weird about group identification and the causes of personal sympathy that even though I think Bishyaler's style of posting doesn't really have a place in D&D, and he pissed me off constantly in the old thread, and he loves guns, and I called him the c-word one time, I am still kinda bummed about his ban because at the end of the day we are both refugees from the comic sans thread. :smith:

Bish if you are reading, I ordered an ounce of CBD flower on Wednesday; I'll share my thoughts on its efficacy when it arrives. In the meantime, kick back some H0s and hang out on a discord or something.

:solidarity:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

This:

is the game, already set up, to play in your browser. You click the big green button in the middle of your screen and it starts.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
no catering. while i won't use the "s" word lest the kitchen gods be listening, we are at that status. sitting in back eating one of our overpriced cookies

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

This:

is the game, already set up, to play in your browser. You click the big green button in the middle of your screen and it starts.

Yeah but you don't need an Internet connection to use dosbox. Like when Xfinity is being Xfinity and randomly dropping your internet in the middle of the day.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Which is what makes it painful. You should watch some episodes of Impractical Jokers or something! Those guys are actually funny!

lol oh looks it's the humor police, you got a badge too OFFICER? I laughed, this is the only site that can do extended riffs without them immediately getting super cringey ala Reddit, we should embrace that!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

have some neat looking text ones on my wishlist called WARSIM something and Roadwarden. Also something called Signalis might be close. I've been sorting steam by reviews lately so even if not strictly what you are looking for they are probably good.

Warsim is loving wild lol, if you're looking for a game that went to text so it could get even more insane you want Caves of Qud

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

lol oh looks it's the humor police, you got a badge too OFFICER? I laughed, this is the only site that can do extended riffs without them immediately getting super cringey ala Reddit, we should embrace that!

DID YOU JUST CALL ME A FUCKIN COP

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

DID YOU JUST CALL ME A FUCKIN COP

Ah a LALD post, I thought I heard sirens just now

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

THE POSTER'S A [unintelligible]-OP

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

THE POSTER'S A [unintelligible]-OP

Even HE waited for his proper time in Robert's Rules to opine with his authentic, frontier gibberish

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Yeah! I dig it! It was always tricky before the enforced exodus because frankly, we didn't all agree on anything. It really wasn't an echo chamber, it was a community. A.... family.

Back in the day rba would probably respond with a picture of Charles Manson. Ya can't go home though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Not enough pasta and water rations. Historically inaccurate.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

In terms of actual business, I've got Harold and LALD on record as IK volunteers for neu-USPOL, any others? I'm gonna do some poking, I miss the thread too.

Look, nobody could've known the Nazis were bad in 1934

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BRJurgis posted:

Yeah! I dig it! It was always tricky before the enforced exodus because frankly, we didn't all agree on anything. It really wasn't an echo chamber, it was a community. A.... family.

Back in the day rba would probably respond with a picture of Charles Manson. Ya can't go home though.

It'd probably be an iasip clip

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Also according to family lore my great grandfather and his brothers fled Italy and fought against the Nazis in WW2 so ain't no flies on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Look, nobody could've known the Nazis were bad in 1934

Ironically (or is it just sad) the Night of the Long Knives made the Nazis seem more palatable and the bringers of "order and properness" to Germany, in the eyes of much of the German public. And more importantly the military and the various business interests. So in 1934, who could've known Nazis would be bad for business, eh? They'd just conveniently destroyed the labour movement, too!