Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
God I hate the Greek. I hate his little mouth and I hate the mincing little way he talks. I hate how he sits in a gross little diner with gross burnt coffee. I wish he would get squished between two shipping containers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

teen phone cutie posted:

yeah his dialog is too funny to be the ultra villain of the series

i can't be mad at someone who's having that good a time out there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t recall if Clay ever ripped off a working citizen or if it was just other politicians and rich drug donors. Clay is super corrupt he felt more like an incidental parasite more than anything

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Namond's mom for sure. Everyone else has either some redeeming value or is too abstractly villainous to make me angry.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

I don’t recall if Clay ever ripped off a working citizen or if it was just other politicians and rich drug donors. Clay is super corrupt he felt more like an incidental parasite more than anything

he'll take any motherfucker's money if they're giving it away

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Clay threw his own bagman under the bus during his trial. The bagman was just that, a low level stooge who happened to be working for a politician instead of a drug gang.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Count Roland posted:

Clay threw his own bagman under the bus during his trial. The bagman was just that, a low level stooge who happened to be working for a politician instead of a drug gang.

Bagman was in the game, he knew what he was doing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Bagman was in the game, he knew what he was doing.

iirc it's also heavily implied that he robs houses as well in his free time (or at least likes people to think he does)

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
yes, he tells daniels how he would rob the house from the fundraiser in s1

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ainsley McTree posted:

iirc it's also heavily implied that he robs houses as well in his free time (or at least likes people to think he does)

Everyone needs a hobby :shrug:

Alhazred posted:

Not even after Devonne?

She died a terrible death, but as a honeypot, I can understand why Marlo felt her murder was justified.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m rewatching The Wire because you gotta and today is the day I give up and ask : what the gently caress is up with the weird meowing noise that Snoop makes? Is that a word or something I can’t understand? (“Get here” was something the subtitles attempted. ) Is that a thing people do? Just a really specific character choice?

I come into this certain I’m dumb so it’s a given.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I've seen a range of translations for it from 'yerp' to 'ya heard'. I'm in the 'ya heard' camp as it's mostly used as some sort of acknowledgement.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
lmfaoooooo i can't remember but are you talking about this poo poo

my new york friends say it all the time. it's just means "yo." i guess it might be a baltimore thing too?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Namond's mom for sure. Everyone else has either some redeeming value or is too abstractly villainous to make me angry.
Honestly she isn't on my top ten most hateful villains on the the Wire. Mostly because Cheese is taking up at least half of that list.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

teen phone cutie posted:

my new york friends say it all the time. it's just means "yo." i guess it might be a baltimore thing too?

Aaron earned an iron urn

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

exmachina posted:

Aaron earned an iron urn

Nah dummy, it's.....

:aaa:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWXeRztPbcQ

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

teen phone cutie posted:

Here we lay a couple of New York boys who came too far south for their own fuckin’ good. Fuckin’ Yankee proud of it now, you fuckin’ bitches. Yerp.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Alhazred posted:

Honestly she isn't on my top ten most hateful villains on the the Wire. Mostly because Cheese is taking up at least half of that list.

Cheese is hilarious so I file him under "redeeming value".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Cheese is hilarious so I file him under "redeeming value".

I file him under "cadaverous motherfucker".

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Who can hate this man

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shheeeeeeit.

(I can it’s me.)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RoyalScion posted:

Who can hate this man

It was fun seeing him pop up in the movie 1408.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ruddiger posted:

It was fun seeing him pop up in the movie 1408.

Watch the 25th Hour. He even "sheeeeeeeit's" in it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've heard it in random places before. It's definitely one of those lines that infiltrated a little bit into pop culture. It's just so good and no one can deliver it quite like him.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I did a rewatch of this in January and it's still my favorite show of all time. Right around the time I was finishing it, they released a 20th anniversary podcast on Spotify and i've been learning a lot of things I had no idea about. There are moments where i'm listening and I just say "no poo poo". One of the biggest ones was that McNulty was originally written as an over-the-hill, fat, alcoholic and not a younger, handsome alcoholic. They originally wanted to go after John C. Reilly for the part. Also, Templeton (Tom McCarthy) is actually a very successful writer, director and producer, not just a piece of poo poo hack in season 5. Maybe other people knew that, but I had no idea and I've watched the entire series 10+ times, easily.

But I won't say anything else from the podcast in case anyone wants to listen to it themselves. It's pretty good. Lots of behind the scenes stuff.

I've been listening to this and along with everything else mentioned it's worth it just to hear Method Man say "I hate fuckin' anime".

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
im sure this has been posted before but i just watched this cast interview last night and it's really cool to see the cast gush over the show and talk about what would have been a cool season 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLUTNAl7GM

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Moving to see Lance Reddick so emotional when talking about Michael K Williams, because the guy so often plays such stoic characters. He really is missed.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm ok with there being no season 6 if only because I couldn't handle the possibility of Bubbles relapsing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe Bubs becomes the Waylon to another addict.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cacator posted:

I've been listening to this and along with everything else mentioned it's worth it just to hear Method Man say "I hate fuckin' anime".

Yea, it was really a great podcast. I just finished listening to it this morning. My favorite episode was the one dedicated to Michael K Williams, because you get to hear just how much he meant to everyone. I was always a fan of his and was wrecked the day we learned he had passed away. Some of the stories you hear about what he would do for people will have you in tears.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Yea, it was really a great podcast. I just finished listening to it this morning. My favorite episode was the one dedicated to Michael K Williams, because you get to hear just how much he meant to everyone. I was always a fan of his and was wrecked the day we learned he had passed away. Some of the stories you hear about what he would do for people will have you in tears.

I highly highly recommend his interview on the podcast Bullseye with Jesse Thorn. Jesse is an extremely good interviewer who skips all the typical questions and gets Michael k Williams to cry just by playing a song :(

edit: I actually just went back and listened and good god. My heart.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 10, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

deoju posted:

I'm ok with there being no season 6 if only because I couldn't handle the possibility of Bubbles relapsing.

It seemed like the courts would have been focused on, with Ronnie being a judge and Daniels being a lawyer. Plus Herc and Levy on the other side. I would have liked to see The Wire lens focused on that part of the justice system.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

General Battuta posted:

God I hate the Greek. I hate his little mouth and I hate the mincing little way he talks. I hate how he sits in a gross little diner with gross burnt coffee. I wish he would get squished between two shipping containers!

It's certainly interesting isn't it? Dude must be swimming in money but look at his life.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Count Roland posted:

It seemed like the courts would have been focused on, with Ronnie being a judge and Daniels being a lawyer. Plus Herc and Levy on the other side. I would have liked to see The Wire lens focused on that part of the justice system.

I picked up that 20th anniversary book (had a Christmas gift card to use) and David Simon says a 6th season would've actually been season 4 and focused on the nascent Central American immigrant community in Baltimore, but still would've ended with what we got for seasons 4 and 5.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Orange Devil posted:

It's certainly interesting isn't it? Dude must be swimming in money but look at his life.

Hanging with my bro in a diner every day reading the paper sounds like heaven to me.

Of course, you don't need hundreds of millions of dollars to do that, thats what most retirees in Greece do anyway.

Re a theoretical season 6: I'm not sure it would have been desirable even if they got it. The series ended on such a strong note - there's a beautiful symmetry to the arc of the seasons, that having an additional season maybe disrupted that, even if some really interesting things could be explored.

I haven't seen We Own This City, but a sort of epilogue - 10 years later - kind of series may have been cool, revisiting some of the surviving characters. I dunno.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

You're only seeing what he chooses to show others.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Well I think they knew going into Season 5 that they would never get approval for 6 so they made sure to put a bow on everything so they felt like it wrapped up properly. If there was any hope for Season 6 the Season 5 wouldn’t have ended like that

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

My shameful secret is I've never actually finished season 5. I've watched the rest of the show multiple times, but never these last like ~8 episodes that I'm on right now.

Every time I've tried in the past 1) you can't just start at season 5, don't be weird. You obviously need to see it in context so you need to have the whole show fresh in your mind, and 2) McNulty loving his life over is incredibly painful to watch. I'm writhing in every scene of him drunk and womanizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Orange Devil posted:

Looks good, though. Perry Ellis or something.