Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Tried the Leap, Gesture, and Amia in person today. I didn’t like the Gesture much besides the armrests. The shape of the seat and back were far better on the Leap. Gonna give the Embody one more try then pick something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So my Embody got delivered today and there is a slight issue.

On the seat portion a small thread or two in one spot looks slightly pulled or pilled up.
I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending this back. I guess I'll chat with customer service.
I'm hoping I can get a needle and maybe push it back in or hide it better.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 26, 2023

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Went with an Embody (Gamer Edition) because it was most comfortable by a good margin. My second choice would have been a Leap because it was also good and far cheaper after discounts.

For what it’s worth, the Herman Miller store’s price for the chair was $100 less than the website’s. My corporate discount didn’t work on the Gamer edition model but the salesperson got me 20% off anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xgalaxy posted:

On the seat portion a small thread or two in one spot looks slightly pulled or pilled up.
I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending this back. I guess I'll chat with customer service.

I had a little thread sticking out on my Think as well and I just cut it off with scissors. It's not visible or getting worse either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it’s a new chair then Herman Miller will probably send someone out to replace the seat pad if you call it in as a warranty claim

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

xgalaxy posted:

My partner uses felting needles to fix cat claw damage that looks like this. It works really well

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Decided on the Clatina Mellet for now. Seems nice so far? I was torn between that and the Ticova Ergonomic for a while and chose this one. If I'm not feeling it after a couple weeks I'll try the other, and if not, I'll send that one back too and just put the money toward a refurb'd Aeron or something.

Thing is, my standards aren't very high; the chair I had before this was just a plush office chair that I've been using for close to 16 years now-- it's broken, kinda lopsided, and the cushions have all collapsed to the point that I'd been using a pillow as the cushion for years now. So this feels pretty good by default lol

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

xgalaxy posted:

I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending this back.
call up your local HM dealer and they will no-poo poo send out a dude to your house/office who will replace the entire seating surface.

Thanks Ants posted:

If it’s a new chair then Herman Miller will probably send someone out to replace the seat pad if you call it in as a warranty claim
it doesn’t even need to be new! it just has to be within warranty (15 years?). if there is anything that even looks like wear at all, they’ll send out a Herman Miller Elf who will do it within 15-20 minutes.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Zarin posted:

The tension of the upper back support should be adjustable. The first time I sat in one at a store, I didn't think it had ANY at all. It wasn't until I sat in my buddy's chair that he had well dialed in for himself (similar build as me) that I realized it could actually be really good.

As for the creakiness, I'd have to get back to you on that one. Maybe just a little bit? Presumably whatever is creaking could be lubricated though.

Just spray some silicone lubricant at whatever is creaking.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

call up your local HM dealer and they will no-poo poo send out a dude to your house/office who will replace the entire seating surface.

it doesn’t even need to be new! it just has to be within warranty (15 years?). if there is anything that even looks like wear at all, they’ll send out a Herman Miller Elf who will do it within 15-20 minutes.

When I needed a new piston for my Steelcase, they just sent me the parts and the instructions. HM really sends out a tech?

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

TenementFunster posted:

could be! Also i have a spare set of big-rear end moon buggy wheels that i no longer need after going from carpet to hardwood. they will provide extra height and swapping the wheels is much easier than a cylinder replacement. DM me and i’ll send them to you for the price of a USPS big flat rate box.

Following up to say that TenementFunster is a true hero. Wheels were sent, and my chair is now a fabulous height, and I already notice the difference in how my arm feels. Goon Victory!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Following up to say that TenementFunster is a true hero. Wheels were sent, and my chair is now a fabulous height, and I already notice the difference in how my arm feels. Goon Victory!
hell yeah glad to hear it. hope i got all the cat hair off!

MrLogan posted:

HM really sends out a tech?
lmao yup. warranty service goes through your local HM dealer. they get the parts from Zeeland and send out a dude.

(offer may not apply if you live in Minot, ND or some awful poo poo)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

my workplace replaced all the worn-out HM chairs with Steelcase Gestures which as a Leap fan will take some getting used to.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Testing out any fancy chairs is out of the question for me. I know a Series 1 has to be an upgrade over my Markus but should I hold out for a HM instead? Is it worth 3x the price? I'm 6' tall and my blood type is gravy

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

codo27 posted:

Testing out any fancy chairs is out of the question for me. I know a Series 1 has to be an upgrade over my Markus but should I hold out for a HM instead? Is it worth 3x the price? I'm 6' tall and my blood type is gravy

I was extremely sceptical and on the fence about purchasing such an expensive chair. I had to have my wife buy it for me because it was too much money for a chair for me to buy myself.

I should have done it years ago.

I have the embody and it is the best chair I have ever sat in.

My cat also thinks it is the best chair because he will jump in it the moment I am not in it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, the Embody is comfortable for 16 hours at a time

Only way it could be better is if it had a hole for me to poo poo in and a bidet so I never had to get up

Next level poopsocking

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, the Embody is comfortable for 16 hours at a time

Only way it could be better is if it had a hole for me to poo poo in and a bidet so I never had to get up

Next level poopsocking
:haibrower:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Just get a mesh chair problem solved.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's getting cold again. Are there any chairs with built-in heating?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nolgthorn posted:

Just get a mesh chair problem solved.

:hmmwrong:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mobby_6kl posted:

It's getting cold again. Are there any chairs with built-in heating?
a Herman Miller Embody (~$1200) and a pair of heavyweight American Giant sweatpants (~$85)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akexg5/the-death-of-office-culture-leads-to-boom-times-for-used-chair-salesman

Thought I was gonna score a chair for cheap. Chair: $500. Shipping: $300

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
they are very large and very heavy. find somebody local.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

they are very large and very heavy. find somebody local.

I think my local guys were happy matching any online only shops. But consumers love straight to door shipping with minimal interaction or even using a website other than Amazon etc. (myself included occasionally) so it is hard to compete out there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There is no one local, thats why I was interested

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Just thought I'd chime in that my chair shipped for free

Duck and Cover posted:

Don't listen to the people saying it's fine. It's not fine and you're a monster for liking it and should feel bad if you can't afford a $1,000 chair.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
The Embody I ordered from HM arrived on Tuesday, exactly a month after I ordered it. After using it all week I have to say it's 100% worth every penny, which is not something I'd ever expected to say about a desk chair that cost close to $2K. It really feels great to sit in and there's so much less stress on my back at the end of the day.

How nice the wheels are was another surprise. I got the fancier hard/carpet ones since I'm current on hardwood, but looking to add a rug to my office, and these roll so nicely with almost zero noise.

Arriving fully assembled with pretty minimal packaging to deal with is a nice bonus as well.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

codo27 posted:

There is no one local, thats why I was interested

:same:

This being a reality in some places seems nigh impossible for people from major metro areas to wrap their heads around, though

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 10, 2023

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BCRock posted:

The Embody I ordered from HM arrived on Tuesday, exactly a month after I ordered it. After using it all week I have to say it's 100% worth every penny, which is not something I'd ever expected to say about a desk chair that cost close to $2K. It really feels great to sit in and there's so much less stress on my back at the end of the day.

How nice the wheels are was another surprise. I got the fancier hard/carpet ones since I'm current on hardwood, but looking to add a rug to my office, and these roll so nicely with almost zero noise.

Arriving fully assembled with pretty minimal packaging to deal with is a nice bonus as well.

Welcome to the club

We really need an embody gang tag

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I want an embody.

I don’t live in a major metro, nor can I drive to one.

Poop :(

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I want an embody.

Mine was shipped :shrug:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

BCRock posted:

It really feels great to sit in and there's so much less stress on my back at the end of the day.

Could you describe the lumbar support offered by this chair? It doesn't seem to have any or it is not adjustable, therefore is there something else about it? Does it fit you perfectly but ymmv? Whenever I've sat in soft or overly cushy chairs that's when the back pain starts.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Nolgthorn posted:

Could you describe the lumbar support offered by this chair? It doesn't seem to have any or it is not adjustable, therefore is there something else about it? Does it fit you perfectly but ymmv? Whenever I've sat in soft or overly cushy chairs that's when the back pain starts.

It has what they call a BackFit adjustment, which lets you basically tighten or loosen the tension across the entire back of the chair. Not exclusively lumbar, but it definitely does the trick for me at least. Also the back of the chair is meant to shape to your back as you use it, which is why the back of these chairs looks so funky.

Also I'd definitely not call the seat overly cushy. The material is soft, but there's a lot of firmness to it. I hate super soft chairs as well and this definitely isn't one of those - it's just a perfect amount of support without feeling like you're sinking into the chair.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Mine was shipped :shrug:

Yah, I'd like to sit in one before I pull the trigger.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BCRock posted:

you’re welcome

Anti-Hero posted:

I want an embody.

it isn’t my fault you live in the loving Yukon Territory or Molokai or the Florida Keys

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 11, 2023

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

BCRock posted:

Interesting that you like the wheels, maybe the Embody has a different set. I chose the upgraded wheels when I got my Cosm and they turned out to be total crap, at least for my hardwood floor. I swapped them with the rollerskate-style ones that I got off amazon for $20 from my old chair to use instead.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Roumba posted:

Interesting that you like the wheels, maybe the Embody has a different set. I chose the upgraded wheels when I got my Cosm and they turned out to be total crap, at least for my hardwood floor. I swapped them with the rollerskate-style ones that I got off amazon for $20 from my old chair to use instead.
for hard floors, you want slides instead of wheels (also a rocking footrest imho)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Roumba posted:

Just looked at the caster options on the Cosm on the HM website and, yeah, doesn't look like they have the same set that you can get on the Embody. These are what the fancy Embody ones look like:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Yea I have the fancy ones and they are great for hardwood.
I’m so glad I ripped out my carpet and went hardwood. No longer have to rebuy those plastic floor mats every other loving year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, I’ve got those too and they’re smooth on tile