Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

What does kuchau mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtKSbYJFxMc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Cars are evil and I won't stand for car propaganda

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/status/1623752587701780481?s=20&t=Ie0pOSP74LBgf5k8A4tAGw

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It makes sense once you realize car culture is about fear and otherizing the rest of society. They still feel some connection to human centered space but it can only be built in miniature in their own fortress away from civilization.

America may have some issues to work out

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the overhead shot buried in the thread there is surreal its just a big beige blocky polygon, like they came up with ideas for rooms first and then just mushed them together. its not a house its a big dumb toy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MakeItMakati/status/1623872136036376576

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this is what cars do to your brain

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Excuse me, did you not see the sign out front? In this house we believe in science, buster

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

lol

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Incredible

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lmfao staggering

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

distortion park posted:

Complete nonsense lol

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

what do they think a transit shed is

a commuteshed is like a watershed and is a useful way to think of regions

what the gently caress is a transit shed and why does it require giving more space to drivers

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it where they park the buses and trains at night?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Greg12 posted:

what do they think a transit shed is

a commuteshed is like a watershed and is a useful way to think of regions

what the gently caress is a transit shed and why does it require giving more space to drivers
My guess is that they mean that they expect that people will commute even longer distances by car so they need to gently caress over everyone else to encourage that

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I doubt a single person in the history of sharrows has changed their driving after seeing one. What a stupid idea.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

withak posted:

Is it where they park the buses and trains at night?

yeah, a trainshed is similar... but they're along that street.

oh, it's Philippines English. I was all set to get heated up about another dumb neologism (in this case, for "bus shelter" or "bus stop"), but I gotta cut slack to world Englishes.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I would rather have nothing over a sharrow. gently caress sharrows they are so loving dumb

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the painted sharrow logo should have a RAM 2500's grille edging up on the back tire while the cyclist cowers and says "please be considerate!"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do planners and municipalities actually think sharrows do anything, or are they just hoping they can trick cyclists into thinking they do?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
probably a little of column a, little of column b. you make the decision to do the lest costly option, then justify it to yourself however you need to.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do planners and municipalities actually think sharrows do anything, or are they just hoping they can trick cyclists into thinking they do?

They kill and/or discourage cyclists, that's not nothing!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://youtube.com/shorts/GcmYRSpDrOY?feature=share

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They are definitely not tricking cyclists but they might be tricking sheltered lib voters into believing "Vision Zero" or climate action are real things

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Vision Zero (Inconvenience for Drivers)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They make me more agro at any driver that dares honk at me for slowing them down. That isn't nothing.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

This week I was was helping chaperone a youth bike ride and it makes me hyper aware of how hosed up an inaccessible cycling is for people who don't want to give up their life in the fight against car culture.

I normally assert myself to the point that it feels like I'm daring someone to run me over, but I can't exactly do that with other people's children.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
sharrows are turbo boost when you run over them

sharrows can help bicyclists stay on on-street routes that have been made safer for them with measures that force cars to detour off of them

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

BonHair posted:

They kill and/or discourage cyclists, that's not nothing!

This is true. Sharrows increase cyclist injuries and deaths because it tricks naïve bike riders into believing that car drivers won't murder them.

Sharrows Don’t Make Streets Safer for Cycling
Chicago sharrow study from article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2046043018300583
Authors did several studies on bicycling infrastructure in Chicago.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, 2 of the 3 times I've been assaulted happened on sharrows where I was going over the speed limit but had to take the lane because the sharrow was in lieu of actual possible infrastructure (removing street parking and adding a bike lane for one, removing an extra lane for the other). They're bad.

NoU
Dec 31, 2008
Aren't sharrows also One Weird Trick for politicians to say they are increasing the number of bike lanes in the city? I seem to remember Denver putting out some numbers a few years back saying they added like 20 miles of bike lanes in one year but a ton of it was just throwing sharrows down.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

The sharrows by me are just turn lanes with bikes painted on them whenever there's a bit of traffic. Not to mention the impatient drivers that get sick of the traffic and zoom into it like a bat out of hell as a passing lane.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In Ontario bicycles are legally vehicles so they get to go on the road, sharrows or no sharrows. I don't think this was mentioned even once during my driver's ed though!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Sharrows seem actively more dangerous to me because i watch seattle drivers swerve into them constantly with out looking to try to get up to the front for right turns.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

In Ontario bicycles are legally vehicles so they get to go on the road, sharrows or no sharrows. I don't think this was mentioned even once during my driver's ed though!
This is the case in the US too, but cities got this idea that they could paint arrows on the road to make pretend bicycle infrastructure where building some would inconvenience drivers.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

They're also particularly grating because it's so obvious that this is the exact place where the someone just completely gave up and now you get to figure it out for yourself. Have fun!

This one is weird because there used to be a bike lane going over the train tracks but they made the whole thing a sharrow in the re-design a couple years ago. I think the idea was to prevent cars right hooking bikes since there's a small bump as you go over the tracks, and with the 6' grills on cars, you'd have to be 10' tall to be visible to some people as they turned right. Instead you of course have cars flying past you to get ahead before they have to wait 2 extra seconds behind you if you take the lane. Reducing the lanes from 6 is never an option.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Lol how did I know that was San Jose?

Also, gently caress you, the entire south bay is San Jose.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

NoU posted:

Aren't sharrows also One Weird Trick for politicians to say they are increasing the number of bike lanes in the city? I seem to remember Denver putting out some numbers a few years back saying they added like 20 miles of bike lanes in one year but a ton of it was just throwing sharrows down.

Yeah, I think departments of transportation all over the country do that - especially frustrating when you're looking at a map of bike lanes and trying to plan a safe route but it turns out that part of it is composed of sharrows (or sharrows even lazier, shittier cousin, the "signed bike lane" where a sign occasionally mentions that some particular street is a bike route) because that lets someone off the hook in terms of actually creating bike lanes

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

CopperHound posted:

Also, gently caress you, the entire south bay is San Jose.
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
What's most infuriating about the sharrows is that they aren't at all for bikes or to increase the safety of people on bikes, they are just an excuse for doing nothing about car culture