Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

King thethethe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Spyro and Crash Bandicoot were called remasters even though they were rebuilt in different game engines to the originals.

Ah I didn't know that about Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, you said they were "engine tweaks". In that case I would definitely call them remakes, at least colloquially.

Butterfly Valley posted:

No-one would think that Sticking CGI Jabba the Hutt or other special effects into Star Wars counts as remastering it even though they're just visual changes building on the existing film.

I would 100% call that a remaster before I called that a remake, if those were my only two options!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scholtz posted:

Also they've always had RPG elements. Health is a stat!!!

If you think about it HP is just item degradation applied to Link so the series has always had it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Get ahead of things by calling your new game REMASTER, it sounds cool anyway

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Quick question, I'm upgrading to the OLED switch. I'm not going to get a new SD card and I don't care if it formats it for the new one (there's no saves on the SD card right? It's just game storage).

If I do that, the order is this?

Move SD card to new switch and format.
Do user transfer.
Download games.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
When you remaster a model kit it's making new molds from the original master. This has nothing to do with video games, however.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Early Zelda games have like three stages of offensive and defensive improvements.

Just like Paper Mario.

If Paper Mario is an RPG, Zelda is easily an action RPG.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
No numbers flash on the screen when you attack enemies in Zelda. Therefore, it’s not an RPG.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

How about calling games whatever the gently caress you want

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Metroid Prime pwns

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remakester

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick question, I'm upgrading to the OLED switch. I'm not going to get a new SD card and I don't care if it formats it for the new one (there's no saves on the SD card right? It's just game storage).

If I do that, the order is this?

Move SD card to new switch and format.
Do user transfer.
Download games.

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I think your screenshots and videos are saved on the SD card and won't be transferred. If you want to keep them:
1) Before formatting, plug the micro SD card into a PC
2) Copy the album folder to your PC
3) After reformatting the SD card in the new switch, transfer the screenshots from your PC into the album folder of the reformatted SD card

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Metroid Prime pwns

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Waffle! posted:

How about calling games whatever the gently caress you want

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is a 4x game. :colbert:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Read After Burning posted:

4x better than p much anything else!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Read After Burning posted:

It's a big galaxy, and Kirby's only poyo'd a fraction of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

External Organs posted:

4x better than p much anything else!

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
Metroid Prime: REMISTRESSED

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why are half of us having the same conversation about remasters over in the Early FPS Megathread? :psyduck:

I think, like Sir Lemming said over there, we all know what remaster is supposed to mean in videogame terms even though it's not exactly what's happening.

Someone in that thread was speculating that the remaster is the original game's code running in whatever new game/graphics engine they've cooked up for Prime 4, and it makes me wonder if that's true and they mainly dropped this remaster to stealthily get feedback on the new engine before they get past the point where major changes can be made

If that's true I'm sure they're glad to see that the feedback is almost universally "oh holy gently caress yes!!!"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tender Bender posted:

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I think your screenshots and videos are saved on the SD card and won't be transferred. If you want to keep them:
1) Before formatting, plug the micro SD card into a PC
2) Copy the album folder to your PC
3) After reformatting the SD card in the new switch, transfer the screenshots from your PC into the album folder of the reformatted SD card

Thanks. I don't have any screenshots or vids so that's fine but good to know!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Metroid Prime pwns

This is what they should've called it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Prime Prime Remasturbate

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Whatever happened to The Outer Wilds on Switch? It was announced a while ago to be "coming soon" and then didn't. Any news since?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Early Zelda games have like three stages of offensive and defensive improvements.

Just like Paper Mario.

If Paper Mario is an RPG, Zelda is easily an action RPG.

as a teenager I used this logic to claim that Mega Man X is a JRPG, because Mega Man X gets tons of new weapons, equipment, armor upgrades and health upgrades, just like an RPG character

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

as a teenager I used this logic to claim that Mega Man X is a JRPG, because Mega Man X gets tons of new weapons, equipment, armor upgrades and health upgrades, just like an RPG character

Mega Man X Command Mission agrees with you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man X Command Mission agrees with you.

They really need to port that game one day, I remember it being really good

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Someone in that thread was speculating that the remaster is the original game's code running in whatever new game/graphics engine they've cooked up for Prime 4, and it makes me wonder if that's true and they mainly dropped this remaster to stealthily get feedback on the new engine before they get past the point where major changes can be made

If that's true I'm sure they're glad to see that the feedback is almost universally "oh holy gently caress yes!!!"

I think this is extremely likely. If nothing else it will provide a base for 2 and 3

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure on the testing ground for prime 4 as the remaster is just prime 1. It’s got some QOL improvements but it’s still the same game, so I’m not sure what feedback they could reasonably get that it didn’t already have

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Because it's been re-released a couple times now, does that make the original gamecube release "Metroid Prime Prime"? :thunk:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Butterfly Valley posted:

No-one would think that Sticking CGI Jabba the Hutt or other special effects into Star Wars counts as remastering it even though they're just visual changes building on the existing film.

Just adding those, no, but they did actually remaster the effects the first time they redid the Star Wars movies. Shame they didn't stop there because adding the prequel poo poo to the original trilogy is just straight up trash.

Though it also gave us the comically bad drag-and-drop head dodge edit job for Han solo because they wanted to make Greedo shoot first.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Mega Man is literally a Final Fantasy Blue Mage.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, gently caress. Ever since my Switch fell from my table due to my clumsiness, the fan started to maje weird noises sometims, whirling very loudly and sometimes to the point the console vibrated. But usually by putting it on Home+sleep mode when that started, it stopped to do that at all.

But now it's restarting after a bit even if I do that. I have to find somewhere they can check it out. I'd send it to Nintendo even if I had to pay, but it's an original model Switch so I'm scared they'll just replace it with a new one or something and I'll lose an easy to hack console if I want to in the future.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Well, gently caress. Ever since my Switch fell from my table due to my clumsiness, the fan started to maje weird noises sometims, whirling very loudly and sometimes to the point the console vibrated. But usually by putting it on Home+sleep mode when that started, it stopped to do that at all.

But now it's restarting after a bit even if I do that. I have to find somewhere they can check it out. I'd send it to Nintendo even if I had to pay, but it's an original model Switch so I'm scared they'll just replace it with a new one or something and I'll lose an easy to hack console if I want to in the future.

It takes very little effort to replace the fan. It’s a 10~ minute job.

https://youtu.be/gnjvpupcnA0

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mega Man is literally a Final Fantasy Blue Mage.

a fond memory I have of FFXIV is trying to coax the green penguins into barfing fish on me so I could get The Fish Barf Spell and you know what? thats not any more or less absurd than fighting the slippery fat robot penguin in Mega Man X sliding all around to steal his ice beam bullets bc video games do indeed rule like that

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure on the testing ground for prime 4 as the remaster is just prime 1. It’s got some QOL improvements but it’s still the same game, so I’m not sure what feedback they could reasonably get that it didn’t already have

metroid prime + switch = $$$

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FlapYoJacks posted:

It takes very little effort to replace the fan. It’s a 10~ minute job.

Biggest worry is, it's been a while since this has been happening and I fear the fan malfuctioning might have overheated something inside? Not to the point of running badly or hosed up stuff.

Since the garanty expired I should just bite the bullet, maybe just renew Switch Online to keep backup saves for everything just in case.

I am not doing that myself though, I'm terrible at manual stuff and my bigass clumsy hands are sure to break a component or lose a screw.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think most modern tech turns off before it gets hot enough to damage anything

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

wizard2 posted:

a fond memory I have of FFXIV is trying to coax the green penguins into barfing fish on me so I could get The Fish Barf Spell and you know what? thats not any more or less absurd than fighting the slippery fat robot penguin in Mega Man X sliding all around to steal his ice beam bullets bc video games do indeed rule like that

I agree, we need more Blue Mage type classes in games.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Once I get an OLED I'm gonna open up my launch switch and change out the fan. And I also wanna change the main case with an atomic purple one but that requires using a heatgun to remove the screen and remount it and I def wanna wait to have another unit on hand before attempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are we not all playing a role in the grand game of life