Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm imaginging a Wong–Baker chart except for Psyker glow ranging from "blank" to "self destruct ship" with "normal human" somewhere in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Black Ships all have blanks/Sisters of Silence on them to suppress the psykers, and are specifically designed around keeping any of them who get daemon infested from causing more than modest trouble. They're probably (for the non-passengers) one of the safer ways to transit the void.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm trying to remember the name of an age of signature novel that follows the life of a chaos duder as he rises through the ranks. Anyone know what I'mm talking about?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an age of signature novel that follows the life of a chaos duder as he rises through the ranks. Anyone know what I'mm talking about?

Godeater's Son?

Also re:genestealers in the astronomicon I now have a vision of a Magos having hijinks trying to get his cult psykers fed to the astronomicon to draw the fleets in.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Z the IVth posted:

Godeater's Son?

Also re:genestealers in the astronomicon I now have a vision of a Magos having hijinks trying to get his cult psykers fed to the astronomicon to draw the fleets in.

They'd probably get immolated by the sheer force of Imperial racism. (Specism?)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Z the IVth posted:

I've got a story in development about Inquisitorial agents dealing with poo poo on a hive world. My first choice for plot is tracing Dark Eldar psychosurgey tools with an intent to sneak a demon into the Astronomicon. It wasn't well-received the last time I mentioned it, so that story is on hiatus.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

The Black Ships all have blanks/Sisters of Silence on them to suppress the psykers, and are specifically designed around keeping any of them who get daemon infested from causing more than modest trouble. They're probably (for the non-passengers) one of the safer ways to transit the void.

Maybe it was just a youtuber doing a thing, but I thought the whole environment and wards made it seem bleak and oppressive to pretty much everyone involved. But you're probably right about it being the safest way to travel.

Probably had more to do with most of the psykers not knowing why they were there, why they were picked up for or where they were going than anything else. And that's all bleak no matter how you look at it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
psyker encountering a blank and blank poo poo goes absolute batshit mad with pain. eisenhorn just gets used to it. amberley vails psyker is filled with mad hatred for juergen. random rear end psykers the black ships pick up? hosed

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

They referenced a short story I think of a Psyker waking up as part of the Throne in essentially a coffin and freaking out while their life got drained. Does that ring a bell at all to anyone? I'd love to read that.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
This may not be what you're referencing but you might enjoy it:

quote:

Choir

This is now. All of her memories, all of those thens, reel to a close. No longer lying on the grass, hearing a distant storm. No longer confined in the cargo hold of a spaceship, treated as a slave. They were then, and this is now.

Skoia opens her eyes.

She is bound within her own coffin, bathed in tremulous sound. It rises, octave by octave, and she thinks of deep-sea monsters, ship-eating creatures stirring and thrashing upon the lightless ocean beds as they begin to rise.

She breathes in, managing only a shallow mouthful of air. Her heart beats slowly, so slowly.

She presses her hands to the thickness of the vision panel, knowing instinctively that it isn’t for her to see out, it’s for her captors to look in. To see her, to see if she’s still alive.

Her next breath is harder than the first. She has to fight to suck it in, and it scarcely gets past her throat. Already the edges of her vision darken to grey.

She beats her fists against the window, making the coffin sway gently, the motion no different from a rocking cradle. Her third breath barely comes at all. In that moment she cries out – not with her mouth but with her mind. She screams for the spirits to come to her. She beseeches them for their aid. She curses them for their silence. Panic drives her past holiness into blasphemy, and still she screams.

Other cries join hers. Some, like Skoia’s, beseech ancestor-spirits or the memories of the lost, others are offered up as desperate prayers to the Emperor or the false and half-forgotten gods of distant worlds. It is the unified cry of people drawn from hundreds of cultures voicing their psychic gifts in terminal harmony.

Not all are pained. Some are obliviously joyful, others are sixth sense distillations of helpless rage or simple, crude fear. The chorus of outreaching emotion rises, and the battalion of interconnected machines all run louder, harder, in sympathetic response.

She is fading now. Her breaths no longer come, and that only amplifies her silent cry.

She slumps forwards, cheek pressed to the unbreakable glass, her lips trembling, her eyes wide and shivering. The stiller she becomes, the darker her sight falls, the louder she screams inside her skull. And now, only now, does she hear the melody of the other souls of the one thousand sharing the same fate, suffering what she suffers. Their screams and prayers and panic and fears entwine, unseen by all, and form one sound, one impossibly perfect note. Those outside the coffins may yet hear it, but its true purity is unheard by any but the dying souls themselves.

It is the very first note in a song that will last ten thousand years, and perhaps beyond.

She, Skoia, is its first singer.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

That might have been it! Thank you.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I wonder if there were Calth truthers the years after. "Prometheum can't melt plasteel beams" rear end.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
When did the Astronomican come online, anyways? Was it always up and running even before the Emperor unified earth/took over Terra/created the Space Marines? Or was it something that was put together after he was mortally wounded and ensconced on the Golden Throne?

Really, though, 1000 dead psykers a day for a near galaxy spanning navigational aid + the sustenance of the Emperor isn't all that bad a trade given the size and population of the Imperium.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

psyker encountering a blank and blank poo poo goes absolute batshit mad with pain. eisenhorn just gets used to it. amberley vails psyker is filled with mad hatred for juergen. random rear end psykers the black ships pick up? hosed

I don't have a strong memory of this, so I might be mis-remembering, but the black ships basically cordon off the psykers into individual cells to keep them contained/not immediately in the presence of the blanks that would drive them mad(der) and the construction of the ships has extra strength gellar fields (and maybe materials?) to prevent the warp from loving with the contents.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mllaneza posted:

I've got a story in development about Inquisitorial agents dealing with poo poo on a hive world. My first choice for plot is tracing Dark Eldar psychosurgey tools with an intent to sneak a demon into the Astronomicon. It wasn't well-received the last time I mentioned it, so that story is on hiatus.

It sounds cool, I just wonder if it's not overlapping with the Vaults Of Terra plot too much right now.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
[qu@?ote="habeasdorkus" post="529716651"]
Really, though, 1000 dead psykers a day for a near galaxy spanning navigational aid + the sustenance of the Emperor isn't all that bad a trade given the size and population of the Imperium.

[/quote]

The USA sacrificed twice that number for lovely fast food.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

habeasdorkus posted:

the 3,650,000,000 psykers and their families might not agree it's worth it just to be oppressed by the imperium.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Nuclear War posted:

the 3,650,000,000 psykers and their families might not agree it's worth it just to be oppressed by the imperium.

Not defending it, but on the other hand, they'd probably be less agreeable with their family member's body turning into living portal for the warp. Being born a psyker would suck hard. The absolute best outcome would be to become an inquisitor or a Librarian, for certain definitions of "best".

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Nuclear War posted:

That's a drop in the ocean compared to the population of Terra, who would all be sucked into the warp if the Emperor didn't get his psychic food.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Psykers are kinda one of the most solid things you can point at for the whole "Hrmm they might be kinda right"

There's an old short story where like a 6 year old latent psyker gets possesed in their dreams and ends up breaking into the planetary governors palace and like mulching the dudes neck.

Liberally at any given time you could explode into a warp portal and doom everyone on your planet.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I understand the fact that hell is real and daemons regularly show up to disembowel people might make some of the Imperium's draconian policies seem understandable, but they aren't. They never are. And that's the point.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they should just have em find some more interex in 40k

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

DaysBefore posted:

I understand the fact that hell is real and daemons regularly show up to disembowel people might make some of the Imperium's draconian policies seem understandable, but they aren't. They never are. And that's the point.

Its not just hell is real its also that if you doodle in the margins of your notebook you realisticly might summon Gorgalkhan the Undying who kills everyone in your hiveworld.

The IoM is a shitshow, but the entire 40k is a poo poo show and while they a whole poo poo on of things badly (see custodes argument above) pyskers are one of the things humans do not have an easy solution for (other than making a human chaos entity that filters poo poo). Eldar, Orks and such have filters.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they should just have em find some more interex in 40k

30k Chaos isn't really comparable to 40k Chaos where its basically supercharged due to humans, as one of the more populous, widespread, and psychic species in the galaxy being more heavily invovled with chaos.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 10, 2023

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Psykers are kinda one of the most solid things you can point at for the whole "Hrmm they might be kinda right"

There's an old short story where like a 6 year old latent psyker gets possesed in their dreams and ends up breaking into the planetary governors palace and like mulching the dudes neck.

Liberally at any given time you could explode into a warp portal and doom everyone on your planet.

But the other side of the coin is that if they were found, and trained they would be a greater asset to humanity. Imagine if for every psyker that got missed and possessed there were two that were trained and could handle deamons.

It's the same with Blanks. Kid gets possessed, and goes for the planetary governor, only to faceplant when his warp abilities evaporated because of a blank drinking wine across the table from the Governor.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Calax posted:

But the other side of the coin is that if they were found, and trained they would be a greater asset to humanity. Imagine if for every psyker that got missed and possessed there were two that were trained and could handle deamons.

It's the same with Blanks. Kid gets possessed, and goes for the planetary governor, only to faceplant when his warp abilities evaporated because of a blank drinking wine across the table from the Governor.

I mean thats what basically happens with the blackships, psykers get found and brought to Terra, if they are strong enough to be sanctioned psykers (I.E not tremendous hazards to others and don't have their brain melted when they meet the emperor) then thats what happens, if not they basically get fed to the astronomicon or the golden throne.

Are their standards too high, possibly? It's never really gone over in detail but again this is 40k so its likely.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 10, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Calax posted:

Yeah that's not how it works. Psykers have to be of sufficient strength to be able to avoid turning into a warp portal. All the ones that are do get found and trained. The rest are the ones fed into the astronomican. The black ships find all psykers (some do slip through the cracks obviously) and then take them to Terra where they are processed and assigned based on ability. It's not like they are feeding psykers into the astronomican that could be an asset if trained.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah maybe if people weren't kept totally ignorant about the warp and psykers then maybe they'd be able to prevent the hell portal explosions occasionally, for example.

The Imperium is the endpoint of 10,000 years of The Worst Choices

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 10, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah maybe if people weren't kept totally ignorant about the warp and psykers then maybe they'd be able to prevent the hell portal explosions occasionally, for example.

*looks back at the past few years* Yeah enlightenment and the promise of science and technology will definitely stop the stupid decision-making.

You'll get space-chuds going on and on about how big-Govt is a conspiracy and you should totally open up those hell portals.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

wearing a Make Segmentum Solar Great Again cap and saying Names that can be spoken in any language to own the space libs

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

They discussed this somewhat in the HH novels, everyone kinda was aware that the warp was dangerous and that you shouldn't be loving with it, after all Geller fields are not a new invention for 40k. They have been around awhile.

They were not aware about the whole chaos god thing.

You also run into the fact that knowledge of chaos itself seems to be a risky proposition because people seems a hell of a lot more susceptible to chaos fuckery once they are aware its a thing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

The whole "psykers appearing and opening hell portals" and whole civilizations collapsed or went full mass murder shtick started in the Age of Strife. The 40k era Imperium is just the byproduct of a post-apocalyptic society undergoing another apocalipse. Trying to inject sense into it is like buttering your bread with a chainsword.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The thing about chaos rituals is that anyone can do them. You don't need to be a psyker, it just helps.

It's like leaving nuclear launch codes around that work without nukes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Angry Lobster posted:

The whole "psykers appearing and opening hell portals" and whole civilizations collapsed or went full mass murder shtick started in the Age of Strife. The 40k era Imperium is just the byproduct of a post-apocalyptic society undergoing another apocalipse. Trying to inject sense into it is like buttering your bread with a chainsword.

And isn't the implication that the Iron Men originally went funky because of Chaos corrupting the AIs? I'm not sure where that's coming from in my head though.

wiegieman posted:

The thing about chaos rituals is that anyone can do them. You don't need to be a psyker, it just helps.

It's like leaving nuclear launch codes around that work without nukes.

But in this analogy aren't psykers nuclear weapons that can go off without the need for launch codes?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

And isn't the implication that the Iron Men originally went funky because of Chaos corrupting the AIs? I'm not sure where that's coming from in my head though.

I think what you're referring to are the ones produced by the STC that Gaunt's Ghosts found. I'm not aware of that being a thing in general. As far as I know, the story is that they rebelled against humanity, with no concrete reason given why. I think it's one of those things deliberately left to readers' imaginations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Didn't expect Alpharius to be so short of a book. Now I need something else to keep me busy till Abnett's siege.

Anything that is a good recommendation that had come out this last year?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Shroud posted:

I think what you're referring to are the ones produced by the STC that Gaunt's Ghosts found. I'm not aware of that being a thing in general. As far as I know, the story is that they rebelled against humanity, with no concrete reason given why. I think it's one of those things deliberately left to readers' imaginations.

Pretty much yeah, the Dark Age of Technology and the Iron Men have always been left alone aside from some vague hints, and it's better if it stays that way imo.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's a short story from the Horus Heresy where Oll Person and his gang go back in time to, like, the Men of Iron uprising. Didn't read it myself but maybe that's where the idea came from?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mikojan posted:

Didn't expect Alpharius to be so short of a book. Now I need something else to keep me busy till Abnett's siege.

Anything that is a good recommendation that had come out this last year?

Harrowmaster is also by Mike Brooks and has some more excellent Alpha Legion characterisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Pretty much yeah, the Dark Age of Technology and the Iron Men have always been left alone aside from some vague hints, and it's better if it stays that way imo.

Isnt there like a book or short story with the men of iron and the giant snake space ships.