Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So, so many mixed feelings about the move but getting Mizzou and Arkansas every year would make it much more palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

Which makes it weird that there are 4 UCs that are well-regarded academically but 3 of them voted out their football teams and the other was in Div-II in 2000.

Geography really constrains everything and I think Pac-12 should just stay at 10 members and maybe the geography of Big 10 with UCLA/USC will be stupid enough that no one wants to move.

Yeah, Grey Ghost has a very good effort post but what I see from that is SDSU is maybe sixth or seventh best academically in the state but third out of schools that play football (insert jokes about Cal football the past couple years here if you’d like :v: ) I don’t think even the academic-centric presidents in the remaining Pac-10 are going to insist on UC Davis trying to come up in order to keep the UC quotient.

Geography really is the big issue, and while I’m not as happy going to SMU as an option, at least that’s in Dallas and travel for every other sport should at least be straightforward if they take this path.

Realignment ain’t great, especially when it’s schools that you’ve been playing for almost 100 years leaving the group.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D.N. Nation posted:

The gentleman in my pfp got flagged for it in the '12 Cocktail Party.

Anyhoo, who's everyone getting?

https://twitter.com/BudElliott3/status/1623893339190841345?s=20&t=TatPJeWSmadhgcNp4CXp8A

From a rivalry rather than competitive standpoint I'm not really crying about this imagined scenario as a Mizzou fan. But we did manage to collectively build up a little hate or at least dislike in the battle of Columbia. It'd be a shame to waste that momentum from a manufactured rivalry. And I just don't care about A&M, there's the Big 12 ties so that's why he put them there, but that was never really a thing.

I'd imagine South Carolina fans feel the same way and would trade Vandy out for Mizzou, but part of the problem here is Vanderbilt has to play someone I guess.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

harperdc posted:

Realignment ain’t great, especially when it’s schools that you’ve been playing for almost 100 years leaving the group.

Word.

OU has played against Iowa State 88 times over the last 95 years. 103 times against Kansas State over 115 years. 113 times against Kansas over 120. 117 times against Oklahoma State over 118. It loving sucks losing those series.

Hell, I'm gonna miss playing Tech--we've been playing for over a quarter century straight now, and the OU-Tech games were always huge when I was in college.

Resurrecting the Mizzou series would be great for geography and history--96 games played between the schools, first one going back to 1902.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'm not even gonna pretend. I'll somewhat miss playing a few Big 12 teams every year, but holy gently caress, we get Arkansas and A&M back.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Just like that, the poach the Pac 12 rumor mill starts again :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1623854865205104640

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

dirty shrimp money posted:

There ya go Texas, it’s just money, was it that hard?

Now all that’s left is to Horns Down as hard as I possibly can when they visit Houston.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

harperdc posted:

I'd be happy to never play Utah state or UNLV again tbh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Judgy Fucker posted:

So, so many mixed feelings about the move but getting Mizzou and Arkansas every year would make it much more palatable.

I kind of doubt OU gets Arkansas every year; I'd think Arkansas' most likely perma opponents would be Texas, A&M, and Missouri, in that order. (Not necessarily because Arkansas is dying to play Mizzou every year, but Mizzou has to play somebody.)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

I kind of doubt OU gets Arkansas every year; I'd think Arkansas' most likely perma opponents would be Texas, A&M, and Missouri, in that order. (Not necessarily because Arkansas is dying to play Mizzou every year, but Mizzou has to play somebody.)

Arkansas and OU are the closest SEC schools to one another--Norman is about 50 miles close to Fayetteville than Columbia.

Of course I know just as much as you re: future SEC scheduling but it just makes too much sense. Which naturally means it won't happen.

Plus if OU doesn't get Arkansas, who would they get? There's already gonna be a delicate balancing act to protect as many rivalries as possible

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I guess the geographics may overcome Arkansas and A&M's SWC connection, plus Arkansas may not be as thirsty to keep that game going now that they and Texas are reunited.

The good news is that if they indeed go with the 3-6 model, you're going to see everyone else every other year anyway, so the stakes of who gets who as perma-rivals aren't just gigantic.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 10, 2023

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Thank god the SEC is going to let Arkansas renew the SWC experience

The one they left

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

The good news is that if they indeed go with the 3-6 model, you're going to see everyone else every other year anyway, so the stakes of who gets who as perma-rivals aren't just gigantic.

For sure, but playing twice every four years makes it harder to develop a rivalry. Plus my buddies and I--who've made a couple trips to Fort Worth--would like to be able to go to Fayetteville every couple years.

tactlessbastard posted:

Thank god the SEC is going to let Arkansas renew the SWC experience

The one they left

OU is gonna be able to renew it's SWC experience, too! See, natural bedfellows.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I don't hate that proposed slate from a competitive standpoint for Kentucky, but from a rivalry standpoint that sucks. I like the proposed alignment that has our permanent opponents as Tennessee, Vandy, and Mizzou. Or switch out Missouri for South Carolina, but there has seemed to be some bad blood brewing between UK and Mizzou that past few years so why not keep that going. And it makes sense geographically, put the two northernmost teams together. Or maybe Mississippi State, but the only reason Kentucky has played them every year is because they needed a permanent crossover when divisions split in 1992, they were never a natural rival.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dirty shrimp money posted:

Just like that, the poach the Pac 12 rumor mill starts again :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1623854865205104640

I have a hard time seeing anyone leaving the Pac-12 (as currently constituted) for the Big 12 unless the new TV deal is just a colossal stinker, and is obviously so on day 1. The vultures don't truly descend until the Big Ten decides to build onto its new western wing.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I have a hard time seeing anyone leaving the Pac-12 (as currently constituted) for the Big 12 unless the new TV deal is just a colossal stinker, and is obviously so on day 1. The vultures don't truly descend until the Big Ten decides to build onto its new western wing.

it sounded like the Pac-12 is going to be leaning into streaming based on SZD chatter which means -- yeah, it's going to be poo poo. Hard to tell how much Big 12 will get in next rights package after losing the two big helmets.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I like that every different version of permanent rivals for the SEC people are drawing up has Texas playing A&M, Arkansas, and OU every year, literally the ideal situation. I know a lot of those games will be losses but it is maximum fun.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

D.N. Nation posted:

The gentleman in my pfp got flagged for it in the '12 Cocktail Party.

Anyhoo, who's everyone getting?

https://twitter.com/BudElliott3/status/1623893339190841345?s=20&t=TatPJeWSmadhgcNp4CXp8A

As an A&M fan I would be upset if Arkansas escaped the apparent curse they're under. Put them instead of Missouri and I'm perfectly happy with it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

it sounded like the Pac-12 is going to be leaning into streaming based on SZD chatter which means -- yeah, it's going to be poo poo. Hard to tell how much Big 12 will get in next rights package after losing the two big helmets.

Big 12 already inked a 6-year extension last fall for 2026-31, which seems like it was fine. Media revenue per school goes up, though it's still increasingly dwarfed by that of the Big Ten and SEC. Consensus on it seemed to be that it was a safe, stable deal, with Fox and ESPN rewarding the conference for re-upping with them rather than exploring more, uhh, experimental avenues like the Pac-12 appears to be.

That said, I wouldn't count out the possibility that one of the streamers decides they'd like to get into the games business and overpays for the Pac-12 and it maybe ends up looking like a smart move. Like they get $80 million per team, per year for their games to stream exclusively on Samsung refrigerator screens.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 10, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Big 12 already inked a 6-year extension last fall for 2026-31, which seems like it was fine. Media revenue per school goes up, though it's still increasingly dwarfed by that of the Big Ten and SEC. Consensus on it seemed to be that it was a safe, stable deal, with Fox and ESPN rewarding the conference for re-upping with them rather than exploring more, uhh, experimental avenues like the Pac-12 appears to be.

That said, I wouldn't count out the possibility that one of the streamers decides they'd like to get into the games business and overpays for the Pac-12 and it maybe ends up looking like a smart move. Like they get $80 million per team, per year for their games to stream exclusively on Samsung refrigerator screens.

Can't wait to watch PAC 12 after dark exclusively on Peacock

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Still more accessible than PAC-12 Network

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

This actually seems a whole lot easier to do for a lot of games than the setup they had before at least.

I don't understand how they're so bad at this.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Georgia LSU Tennessee + perma-FSU

Gators win the :qq: contest.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Pick 3: Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Vandy

From a history standpoint I'd drop Florida. I guess we are stuck with Vandy but I wouldn't mind getting rid of that game.

I think Ole Miss would be our number five

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If everyone has to have three perma rivals, Ole Miss, Miss State, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Vandy are all going to be ones where you really have to reach for rivals #2-3.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Outside of Texas and Missouri Oklahoma doesn't really have much history with any team so I'm fine with whoever else they get. Selfishly I hope they get kentucky even though it doesn't make any sense but that's because it's a 90 minute drive for me to catch a game.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

General Dog posted:

Still more accessible than PAC-12 Network

I was in a dive bar in East Atlanta a few weeks back and they somehow had the P12 Network on. Standard def. Women's volleyball. There was a person watching!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

I was in a dive bar in East Atlanta a few weeks back and they somehow had the P12 Network on. Standard def. Women's volleyball. There was a person watching!

I’m wondering if it was actual PAC-12 network or if it was the PAC-12+ variant that’s available as a free streaming channel on Pluto/Roku/whatever. I think it’s all replays.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1625522942745485312?s=20&t=_-gmgxTtTFcSUfFwvxTjeQ

https://twitter.com/SethWEmerson/status/1625525454533787649

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Oh god Bobo again? Lol

UGA fans gonna melt down

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Mike Bobo.... that'll be received well by the totally chill fans of the team in Athens.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh god Bobo again? Lol

UGA fans gonna melt down

Mike Bobo and Doug Nussmeier both got jobs today in the year 2023

Never let anyone tell you you’re unqualified for poo poo in life.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Mike Bobo and Doug Nussmeier both got jobs today in the year 2023

Never let anyone tell you you’re unqualified for poo poo in life.

How the hell is Nuss still getting work? Unreal.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If you've had one good year as a college assistant you can basically turn that into a never ending series of jobs forever. Its wild.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

soggybagel posted:

If you've had one good year as a college assistant you can basically turn that into a never ending series of jobs forever. Its wild.

He’s going to be an an NFL quarterbacks coach! On purpose!

I really enjoy that essentially even the greatest coaches in the sport have extremely weird picks where critical jobs go to morons all the time. Bobo to Georgia feels extremely similar to Urban hiring Tim Beck/promoting Addazio or Saban hiring BOB. Just because someone with some names on a resume is there doesn’t mean you should hire them, but I can’t shake the feeling that it won’t matter with Saban seemingly doubling down on getting either extremely known quantities in Steele or extremely suggestible quantities like Rees who he can absolutely beat into submission. No more failed HCs or people with ideas, even though modern Bama essentially depended on overqualified OCs who could stand up to Nick

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I guess to play slight devil's advocate given what a hellhole of long hours and stress coaching is at any level but especially big time college or the NFL, you probably place a premium on a guy you can spend those hours with without wanting to strangle him. Plus the safety of taking a known quantity who was good once vs a total newcomer.

It's still dumb but it's understandable at a human level

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TheGreyGhost posted:

I really enjoy that essentially even the greatest coaches in the sport have extremely weird picks where critical jobs go to morons all the time.

Mullen essentially hanging his career on Todd Grantham is one of the wildest loving things I’ve ever seen.

Imagine betting millions in future earnings on anthropomorphic corned beef with anger issues.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1625532092951171074?s=20

A Houston podcast's reaction to this hire. I also heard Kentucky fans laughing about this hire from Dawson's time as Kentucky's OC.

https://twitter.com/SHPawdcast/status/1625535710802640897?s=20

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Clayton Tune's massive regression last year had a lot to do with Dawson forgetting Tune was a great pocket passer but a terrible runner, and calling way too many handoffs on third down when he had the best QB and receiving corps in the American. That alone should have cost him his job.

This also represents payback for Miami sending Houston Mark D'Onofrio.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

gently caress

e: before, well, this season, 2014 UGA had the best offense in school history and Bobo wrung that out of Hutson Mason at QB (and, yeah, Gurley at RB and Prime Chubb once Gurley got NCAA'd).

That was also a long time ago and he hasn't really done anything much of note since. I worry we're speed-running the crimes-and-Habsburg-hires portion of the 30 for 30 doc on the UGA dynasty. HC Kirby, OC Bobo, co-DC Muschamp...can't y'all golf on Sundays and that be the end of it

TheGreyGhost posted:

I really enjoy that essentially even the greatest coaches in the sport have extremely weird picks where critical jobs go to morons all the time. Bobo to Georgia feels extremely similar to Urban hiring Tim Beck/promoting Addazio or Saban hiring BOB.

Kirby already did the continuity-for-continuity's-sake OC hire and it was James Coley, who had nervous breakdowns in the booth so hard he couldn't get the plays down to Fromm on time. Bobo will probably be better than that, but this feels like a huge step backwards.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 15, 2023