Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Oh man I haven't thought about NOLF in a long time, I think the last time I played it was when I was 15? I remember it being really good, does it hold up?
I'm a huge fan so my answer is always going to be yes :getin:

I think NOLF2 feels more modern to play (it even has RPG elements!) and it doesn't look quite as dated as the first one, but they're both fun to play shooters and I preferred the structure of the first game. Both of them have some great set piece levels. What dragged NOLF2 down for me was some of the levels having infinitely respawning enemies, until you passed some checkpoint or continued to the next area.

The engine requires a bit of tinkering to work on modern machines. I haven't tried the revival/modernizer projects when I last played, but I did have to limit my framerates to 60 fps, otherwise the aiming was completely hosed. Everyone should at least try the games, they're cool and "free"*
http://nolfrevival.tk

*because the former rightsholders can't be assed finding out who has the rights to the games now (that would cost money I guess), but just in case they do own them they still won't allow anyone to make a remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

With Hitman Freelancer I've learned that while some of the visual information can quickly help you distinguish suspects who are not the leader, but you don't need all of it. Hair color or no hair, hats and glasses can be usually seen from a safe distance. The earrings, necklaces and tattoos might require you to be really up close.

Tells can be more important, especially when you realize that having one of the tells you are not looking for will disqualify the suspect. Is your supposed allergic bookworm suddenly smoking or eating a candy bar? Then they are not the leader.

You really need that knowledge of all the tells later on, because the later showdowns increase the amount of suspects. Map knowledge also plays a role, especially knowing which disguise works where. Colorado has 3 areas where you can only freely walk around with a specific disguise. Then again, Colorado is in general a rough map because out of the 100 people on the map (rough guess) only 7 of them are NOT armed. I am trying out hardcore mode at the moment and I am avoiding that map like a plague.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Feb 9, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of stealth games like Hitman, MGS and Splinter Cell have ways to disable or destroy surveillance cameras, which is cool and all, but how come nobody ever sends anyone to check on what happened to camera #22a in the east wing and investigate why the feed went out? Are all of them unmonitored?

MGSV sends guards out to check on cameras when they go down. I think it's more relevant in the Ground Zeroes section of the game, because it's more tightly designed around infiltrating smaller areas, but they'll still do it in the main game too.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

orcane posted:

I'm a huge fan so my answer is always going to be yes :getin:

I think NOLF2 feels more modern to play (it even has RPG elements!) and it doesn't look quite as dated as the first one, but they're both fun to play shooters and I preferred the structure of the first game. Both of them have some great set piece levels. What dragged NOLF2 down for me was some of the levels having infinitely respawning enemies, until you passed some checkpoint or continued to the next area.

The engine requires a bit of tinkering to work on modern machines. I haven't tried the revival/modernizer projects when I last played, but I did have to limit my framerates to 60 fps, otherwise the aiming was completely hosed. Everyone should at least try the games, they're cool and "free"*
http://nolfrevival.tk

*because the former rightsholders can't be assed finding out who has the rights to the games now (that would cost money I guess), but just in case they do own them they still won't allow anyone to make a remake.

I think I might have the NOLF2 discs around somewhere, but this looks like a far easier way to get it running again! Time for some nostalgia trips I think...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Elden Ring:

North Caelid is a severe difficulty spike pretty much out of nowhere. Clearly it's meant to be tackled later (looking it up, people are saying "basically but not quite endgame"), but up until this point the game has had such a smooth diffuclty curve and there's nothing about it that necessarily screams "you don't belong here". And it's not exactly consistent anyway; Fort Faroth stands out for being only very slightly tougher than the rest of Caelid and it seems like an intended destination for where I'm at in the game considering its contents. But everything else up there aint happening on a fundamental mathematic scale I've not seen since the very early game.

Special mention to the Great Jar Challenge, which is a cool idea on paper but at this point is largely ruined because meta PVP builds exist. The gimmick is that you have to fight 3 NPC invaders one by one all in one go and each of them is a snapshot of a player who previously beat the challenge. But between being scaled for North Caelid and the pool being infested with the same 2-3 builds it borders on impossible for where I'm at right now and would probably be really boring if I came back later. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if not for the fact that unlike anywhere else I've been to in the game so far, they stick with you with a complete loving dogshit runback.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Feb 9, 2023

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

John Murdoch posted:

Elden Ring:
Caelid
there's nothing about it that necessarily screams "you don't belong here".

My friend, have you seen Caelid?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Anyone remember Contract JACK? It was a spinoff of NOLF that nobody wanted and was loving terrible.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

My friend, have you seen Caelid?

Well, yeah, but there's no significant difference between regular Caelid and gently caress you high level Caelid. Like okay sure there's a bunch of dragons around but I've been murdering the poo poo out of those for a while now. (Hell, I murdered one of the ones up there!)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

EDIT: Wrong thread!

Veotax has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Feb 9, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

John Murdoch posted:

Elden Ring:

North Caelid is a severe difficulty spike pretty much out of nowhere. Clearly it's meant to be tackled later (looking it up, people are saying "basically but not quite endgame"), but up until this point the game has had such a smooth diffuclty curve and there's nothing about it that necessarily screams "you don't belong here". And it's not exactly consistent anyway; Fort Faroth stands out for being only very slightly tougher than the rest of Caelid and it seems like an intended destination for where I'm at in the game considering its contents. But everything else up there aint happening on a fundamental mathematic scale I've not seen since the very early game.

Special mention to the Great Jar Challenge, which is a cool idea on paper but at this point is largely ruined because meta PVP builds exist. The gimmick is that you have to fight 3 NPC invaders one by one all in one go and each of them is a snapshot of a player who previously beat the challenge. But between being scaled for North Caelid and the pool being infested with the same 2-3 builds it borders on impossible for where I'm at right now and would probably be really boring if I came back later. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if not for the fact that unlike anywhere else I've been to in the game so far, they stick with you with a complete loving dogshit runback.

Don't know if they ever fixed it, but you used to be able to just chill on a nearby tree jutting over a cliff and the NPCs would usually just fall to their deaths.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kazil posted:

Don't know if they ever fixed it, but you used to be able to just chill on a nearby tree jutting over a cliff and the NPCs would usually just fall to their deaths.

AFAIK, they've largely patched that nonsense out, though allegedly people have found newer means to cheese.

But ultimately I just went offline and fought the true NPC invaders instead. They seem to have marginally lower stats and approximately 1750% less bullshit in their builds.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The first time I did the Great Jar was still early enough in the game's lifecycle that none of the people who had beaten it had optimized bullshit builds and were in fact just people dicking around trying to figure themselves and the game out. So it was, I have to imagine, the intended experience when I fought those three.

But ever since I have just gone off line. Ain't no one got time for that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I agree that the scaling of greyoll’s dragonbarrow is really weird when you consider that a dectus medallion piece (in other words, the most obvious and “intended”-seeming way to get to altus plateau) is there. I think the scaling would have been ok if they just put the medallion piece in the main part of caelid. people have dug up the scaling factors the game uses for each area and greyoll’s dragonbarrow is on par with I think subterranean shunning grounds, which is far above altus plateau itself.

And on my first playthrough I fully cleared the place before I ever even went to liurnia, including the bell bearing hunter :shepicide:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Really feels like they were pushing the medallion route to Altus by putting the first half in such an early location. The route through the mines is the better way anyway.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

credburn posted:

Anyone remember Contract JACK? It was a spinoff of NOLF that nobody wanted and was loving terrible.

Yeah and I don't get why it was so terrible since the studio's next game was F.E.A.R. which was a great shooter.
Contract JACK has one effect on the NOLF narrative and that is to explain why one of the enemy bosses has broken legs after a ski accident, except that you defeated him in the Alps in the first game anyway so there is already nothing to explain. The game is just nothing from any viewpoint..

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hel posted:

Yeah and I don't get why it was so terrible since the studio's next game was F.E.A.R. which was a great shooter.
Contract JACK has one effect on the NOLF narrative and that is to explain why one of the enemy bosses has broken legs after a ski accident, except that you defeated him in the Alps in the first game anyway so there is already nothing to explain. The game is just nothing from any viewpoint..

What other games are there as spinoffs in which you play as a nameless goon the PC kills without a second thought in the main game? Contract: JACK and Half-Life: Opposing Force (and Blue Shift if you're mean) are the ones that come to mind

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

Really feels like they were pushing the medallion route to Altus by putting the first half in such an early location. The route through the mines is the better way anyway.

If you take the medallions you skip out on a pretty fun bossfight and a gorgeous view of Liurnia (and a way to advance a NPC storyline).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We were at the library the other day and flipped through the games there and saw Callisto Protocol. Figured if it was free I may as well check it out, and boy am I glad I didn't buy it. It really is a bunch of little things dragging it down, too; it's not terrible and there's no one big issue, but no part of it really comes together well and it's just a slog overall

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kazil posted:

yup! (video link) https://files.catbox.moe/zxnv39.webm

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Feb 9, 2023

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I agree that the scaling of greyoll’s dragonbarrow is really weird when you consider that a dectus medallion piece (in other words, the most obvious and “intended”-seeming way to get to altus plateau) is there. I think the scaling would have been ok if they just put the medallion piece in the main part of caelid. people have dug up the scaling factors the game uses for each area and greyoll’s dragonbarrow is on par with I think subterranean shunning grounds, which is far above altus plateau itself.

And on my first playthrough I fully cleared the place before I ever even went to liurnia, including the bell bearing hunter :shepicide:

I like to think that the intended pre-plataeu Caelid experience is running from terror to terror like a horror movie protagonist, only coming back to clear it out once you're a lot stronger

I mean Fort Faroth is one of the easier places to run through without engaging the enemies

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Oh man I haven't thought about NOLF in a long time, I think the last time I played it was when I was 15? I remember it being really good, does it hold up?

Because of a weird clause in their trademark or something you can download them for free. I won't link to it because it's kind a legal grey area but it's not hard to find.

I picked them up a few years ago ( because the rights are a mess and they aren't on Steam) and they hold up pretty well. The stealth mechanics show their age, but other than that no real complaints. In the second game some of the larger areas can be hard to navigate but the trailer park tornado sequence was still pretty cool even though I wasn't a stone 14 year old

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

credburn posted:

What other games are there as spinoffs in which you play as a nameless goon the PC kills without a second thought in the main game? Contract: JACK and Half-Life: Opposing Force (and Blue Shift if you're mean) are the ones that come to mind

There was that Ninja Gaiden zombie spin-off nobody liked that did that. Yaiba, I think?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri: random maps default to lots and lots of water and I hate transporting troops overseas

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Time on Frog Island is a cute lil' game, but it has one of those "characters communicate with little pictures in speech bubbles" thing, and my personal TV is too drat small to easily tell what some of the items are.

It IS about time for a new TV...this one's from like, 2011. :ohdear:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The obvious intended way to get up to Altus Plateau is to take the Ruin Strewn Precipice route in Liurnia. You hit the lift, it's broken, and then a ghost there says "ohhh noooo the lift isn't working. Hmm well wasn't there a cave up instead?" so you follow the wall around and yup there's a bespoke path up with its own title, smoothly at-level enemies and a boss at the end of it.

Actually getting the Dectus halfs is really a bonus for having bothered to go to the Forts.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

We were at the library the other day and flipped through the games there and saw Callisto Protocol. Figured if it was free I may as well check it out, and boy am I glad I didn't buy it. It really is a bunch of little things dragging it down, too; it's not terrible and there's no one big issue, but no part of it really comes together well and it's just a slog overall

I gave up and just read the wiki, lol at them Straight up ripping of Dead Space's story with the cult aspect, and then double lol for ending with a cliffhanger. woof

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Honestly the medallion feels like it exists for replays, like if you’re playing “normally” you’ll just find the not so hidden path there just because it’s on the map as a smithing stone cave (also at least one NPC literally tells you about it), and there’s another way up there besides *that* in Raya Lucaria, but the medallion technically requires no combat so within an hour of playing it’s not completely unrealistic to have access to the plateau by doing suicide runs through the fort at RL1.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Oh yeah on that subject, why are Bell Bearing Hunters so insanely overtuned? Even the one in Limgrave was a nightmare and that was after coming back halfway through Liurnia to get him. All for the privilege of being able to buy basic crafting materials? The hell?

credburn posted:

Gordon never kills Adrian Shephard.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Feb 10, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imo they’re overtuned because it’s meant to be a real jump scare moment since they’re all close to save points and won’t come back after a wipe if you run right back for your runes, but probably they overdid it because the speed at which your first Sith Lord kicks your poo poo in will probably be so fast it’s just comical.

Also they’re one of the only bosses that just become significantly less miserable at melee range because half their moves are punishers for trying to pussy out of a fair fight. Still not super easy becuase they’re still crucible knights that specced in Arcane but less dangerous.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

Gordon never kills Adrian Shephard.

Okay, so, this nameless npc gets a name.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Opopanax posted:

I gave up and just read the wiki, lol at them Straight up ripping of Dead Space's story with the cult aspect, and then double lol for ending with a cliffhanger. woof

Amusingly since CP is made by the original DS director and some of his team, Callisto Protocol is based on their first draft original idea for Dead Space, before they decided to make the main character an engineer.
Agreed about the cliffhanger, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm finally getting into Fire Emblem Three Houses and I don't like how Hard mode limits the amount of grinding you can do (along with its other difficulty-raising parts). I see all these options for every character and I want to explore them, but I don't want to have to read a guide to learn that, actually, don't put axe training into this person because their axe class sucks real bad and if you do that you're wasting time and valuable experience points for it (or something). Like, I want a tougher battle where positioning matters and whatnot, but doing so while also restraining my ability to explore the possibilities of the units is frustrating.

Is Normal mode really as easy as the internet makes it out to be, or is that just hyperbole from people who've played every Fire Emblem on their highest difficulty and such

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Morpheus posted:

Is Normal mode really as easy as the internet makes it out to be

Yes.

Even on hard, you’re more likely to start skipping free battles because it’s tedious to use every single point.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

marshmallow creep posted:

Amusingly since CP is made by the original DS director and some of his team, Callisto Protocol is based on their first draft original idea for Dead Space, before they decided to make the main character an engineer.
Agreed about the cliffhanger, though.

It's better to give The Callisto Protocol the acronym of TCP instead of CP, so people don't think you're talking about Captain Picard.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's better to give The Callisto Protocol the acronym of TCP instead of CP, so people don't think you're talking about Captain Picard.
So you can talk about the new TCP IP?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Also because it stinks HEYO

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
warm memories of twitter posting about "the CP anime"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm having a good time with the Metroid Prime remaster, but one thing I'd forgotten about is the lack of checkpointing. Having specific save rooms is fine for general exploration, but I'd really appreciate something immediately before boss fights. Kinda sucks to have to traverse multiple rooms to get back to the boss after you die, especially when there's a door puzzle you have to do along the way that you didn't backtrack to save after completing the first time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

(Insert dark souls sanctity-of-the-boss-run :jerkbag: essay here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there's something meditative about getting brutally owned by a boss so many times that you start to be able to perfect no-hit the boss run with your eyes closed every time