Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Over the winter break I came back to the game after not playing since Bjora Marches. After a week, using a low intensity DPS build and AH exotics, I was able to pug wings 1-4 inside of an afternoon. A month later I am a decent chunk of the way towards legendary armor after knocking out the first couple envoy collections. All the while maintaining employment, marriage, and a babby.

It's waaaay easier than it used to be. Don't be a dick, add value, win raids, pretty princess harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

..btt posted:

My own anecdotal experience is that most people in the gw2 community are ready to engage socially, but need someone else to make the first move.

Guild Wars 2: The MMO for Bottoms

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

AmbientParadox posted:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Silynt posted:

It’s interesting to me how poorly Season 1 and its temporary content was received. It feels like Season based, temporary content releases for ongoing games like this are practically the norm these days. Destiny 2, for instance, is hugely popular and it extensively uses seasonal content. I wonder how GW2 Season 1 would be received if it first dropped in the last few years.
You can play it right now, they brought it back.

Scarlet IS annoying, people are correct.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IMO what season 1 missed was that it got the tone completely wrong. What was so good in the GW1 campaigns was that they had this great blend of standard fantasy fare and ultra creative fever dream. And all of this was so earnestly presented that you couldn't help but love it even when the jank was off the charts and the VA was bizarre.

Season 1 didn't have that feeling of a fantasy adventure. It felt like an odd after school cartoon with sky pirates, a beach episode, and wacky combinations of unrelated baddie factions for the pirate themed cops to lock up.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Nektu posted:

You can play it right now, they brought it back.

Scarlet IS annoying, people are correct.

The joker and poison ivy, together at last!

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
It always got me how Scarlet even shares the same VA as Harley Quinn, well one of them anyways.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

..btt posted:

Maybe if I'd done every raid 100 times I'd feel differently.

If you've done every raid 100 times you're probably not in the segment hoping for an LFG group. Again though, my only experience was literally a single pubbie group that lasted one boss so I can't speak for people who've done lots of LFG raids. All the group hell I know is related to fractals/strikes.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I'll take a Scarlet and a Joko over two mediocre villains at least

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

..btt posted:

The LFG works the same in both regions. It's just a cultural thing for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, the EU LFG is not super active outside primetime, but from what I've heard, basically nobody uses LFG in NA for raid groups. They use I believe Raid Academy and the various other discords instead.

For reference, it's currently 2:30 PM on a workday and this is the raid LFG on EU:

2 legit pugs (no kp requirement even!), 2 static adverts, 1 guy looking for a group, sneb advertising Skein Gang and 2 raid seller ads.

In primetime there might be 10 or more pugs looking for more at any time.

Would you be able to post the account names of the EU raid sellers? Me and Hinky have been intermittently trolling the NA ones, and we'd like to expand our range.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I recently found out that you can join the raid seller squads and then block the squad leader then they won't appear in LFG for you anymore. There isn't actually that many unique raid sellers out there.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

AmbientParadox posted:

seems legit

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

..btt posted:

My own anecdotal experience is that most people in the gw2 community are ready to engage socially, but need someone else to make the first move.

This is true in WvW as well, you might have 10 people streaming past a paper tower for half an hour and never coalesce into a coherent group capable of doing anything but throw down a ram blueprint and suddenly you've got half the map following you. Especially true off-peak or when there's no tags around. I do have a tag but I've managed to get together a group of 20+ people just by throwing up siege in the right spots and doing map callouts without ever turning the tag on.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Wuxi posted:

I'll take a Scarlet and a Joko over two mediocre villains at least

I’m so glad to be finally done with the dumb elder dragons

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

AmbientParadox posted:

lmao

where the red fern gropes posted:

Would you be able to post the account names of the EU raid sellers? Me and Hinky have been intermittently trolling the NA ones, and we'd like to expand our range.

Nah, if someone wants to buy their title or legendary armour with gold or gems, I'm fine with that. I'm also ok with people making their own fun in the game by selling carries.

knowonecanknow posted:

I recently found out that you can join the raid seller squads and then block the squad leader then they won't appear in LFG for you anymore. There isn't actually that many unique raid sellers out there.

You can also just stick "-sell" in the search box

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

knowonecanknow posted:

You dont even need to join them, if you look for the commander tag, you can just type that name into the block list. I also add a note that theyre 'gamename SELLS RAIDS' so i know theyre not bad people, just annoying.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's because I'm doing it on bladesworn as opposed to mechanist like before or what but Crystal Oasis loving sucks! Every enemy group is way the hell too dense and they all have shitloads of CC, especially the stupid little outposts where I'm supposed to find some evidence and the entire thing is a sardine can of snipers, veterans and those fuckers with the grapple hook that also have FFXI zone length leash ranges. gently caress!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yip, that sounds like Crystal Oasis.

Stealth is your friend

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Maybe I'm just noticing it more for some reason, but seems like the amount of people spewing stupid and vile poo poo in map chat in LA is on the increase.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

whydirt posted:

I’m so glad to be finally done with the dumb elder dragons

Jormag was cool until they just decided she needed to stop talking.

And Kralkatorik had the one good scene like right at the end there.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

They really need to make this 5/7. Keeps or SMC are virtually impossible if you only randomly dip in and out throughout the week.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think the idea is you’re supposed to do more than dip in and out

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Yip, that sounds like Crystal Oasis.

The thing I miss the least about The Mount Expansion is that they gave every mob in The Mount Expansion a ranged attack that knocks you off your mount so you have to stop using your mount until you kill that pack and the five more that train into you during the fight before you can again use a mount in The Mount Expansion.

But also yes running through PoF with Shieldy McRobottank (especially since I was in cele gear) was very much easymode compared to doing it with a squishier class.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Avoiding PoF mobs becomes a lot easier once you unlock the mount dash also dodges mastery

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mailer posted:

The thing I miss the least about The Mount Expansion is that they gave every mob in The Mount Expansion a ranged attack that knocks you off your mount so you have to stop using your mount until you kill that pack and the five more that train into you during the fight before you can again use a mount in The Mount Expansion.

But also yes running through PoF with Shieldy McRobottank (especially since I was in cele gear) was very much easymode compared to doing it with a squishier class.

It didn't feel so bad at the time because we were basking in the revelation that was running through Orr with a mount and not getting CCed to hell by those mobs.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
This is gonna be a lore and plot post, so I'll spoil most of it.

Balthazar was right.

The bullshit in GW1 woke up Primordus. Balthazar knew that the elder dragons were a problem and also would be a kick-rear end fight. He gets tossed in jail for wanted to make Tyria a safer place. Later, he's able to get out thanks to Dragons Watch. But he's still stripped of power. So LWS3 is all about him finding alternative power sources to get juiced up for the fight. At this point, Dragons Watch has killed two elder dragons: Zhaitan and Mordremoth. Sure, we know that elder dragon magic mixes and makes the problem worse, but then we still go and kill the next 3. The balance was already hosed up the moment we killed Zhaitan. Once his death magic seeped into the other elder dragons, things got weird. It's why Mordremoth's minions cease to look like Sylvari and become Mordrem.

We already threw off the balance and like a can of pringles, once you pop (one elder dragon) you can't stop (until you kill all the elder dragons). Killing Balthazar made everything worse, and we lost a powerful potential ally. Heck, he even helped protect baby Aurene from Primordus.

Balthazar brought with him an army from the Mists, including some of the greatest heroes of Tyria. They set up bases in the Crystal Desert to fight Kralk. Dragons Watch destroys those bases and likely cause more Elonian deaths because we were confused. In the end, most of what we did in Path of Fire was a tremendous mistake and we then spend the next 2 Living Seasons and Expansion trying to correct.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Balthazar can be right when he comes back with a better final fight.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
If Balthazar did all that he'd get all voided up even faster than Soo Won. The only person who can handle elder dragon energy without absorbing all of it is Aurene, and Aurene can do it because the story has to happen.

I just ran like half the Icebrood Saga in a couple days and you can tell where they ran out of time and just put the set up and pay off within like 1 story instance but you get the gist of why that would be a bad idea.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The further the story goes, the less sense the the whole dragon energy / killing ED's thing makes. The void stuff is just icing on that particular cake.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’d be willing to bet that 50% of the void stuff is that it allowed easy reskinning of existing enemies instead of having to make new ones

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

whydirt posted:

I’d be willing to bet that 50% of the void stuff is that it allowed easy reskinning of existing enemies instead of having to make new ones

it making no sense has never stopped them before

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Veev posted:

If Balthazar did all that he'd get all voided up even faster than Soo Won. The only person who can handle elder dragon energy without absorbing all of it is Aurene, and Aurene can do it because the story has to happen.

I just ran like half the Icebrood Saga in a couple days and you can tell where they ran out of time and just put the set up and pay off within like 1 story instance but you get the gist of why that would be a bad idea.

We have no idea that Balthazar would go crazy with the dragon energy. His actual god energy was taken by Kormir and her rear end in a top hat friends. LWS3 presents a vibe shift for Balthazar; he's now powered by the bloodstone. And like, he powered it with an insane cult of thieves and rich assholes who worship Mursaat. Seems like a not bad way to power up to fight elder dragons!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’m just saying it’s a shame that Kormir survived unscathed

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While we're talking plot, I'mma just say it, the purists were right.

Their ancient guardian and protector dragon just so happens to go on the fritz and needs slaying the exact moment the legendary dragon slayer lands on their shores? who then goes on a killing spree of citizens wearing the wrong colors in the streets of their largest cities and grabbing whatever they can out of their pockets or nearby chests after and smashing most of the jadetech they come across that propelled them into the future and they are just supposed to believe we're the good guys and we're only killing the bad guys.

Plus Minister Li is a better boss fight than Balthazar.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

After experiencing, without flying, the way they built New Kaineng... they're all monsters. Extinguish the whole thing.

The looting and whatnot I just turn a blind eye to because RPG convention. The same reason I don't dwell on you being The Guy, the most famous guy in the world, who has saved the world a bunch of times, who everyone knows, and is the most exalted hero ever... being asked to help gather carrots. Still have to pay full price at the vendor too.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mailer posted:

After experiencing, without flying, the way they built New Kaineng... they're all monsters. Extinguish the whole thing.

The looting and whatnot I just turn a blind eye to because RPG convention. The same reason I don't dwell on you being The Guy, the most famous guy in the world, who has saved the world a bunch of times, who everyone knows, and is the most exalted hero ever... being asked to help gather carrots. Still have to pay full price at the vendor too.

One of the better parts of EoD is that you stop being THE PACT COMMANDER and start being "who's this rear end in a top hat?" again

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mailer posted:

new kaineng is a great map, in a different game, where the main plot would take place, and there would be many things to do there

it is not a great map in guild wars 2, where it has lukewarm performance, an absence of activities, and copious amounts of useless and empty space

if it was skyrim and you could go in all the houses it would be amazing but it's not. it's one map in a game with hundreds of maps and it sucks. i'll even compare it to draconis mons which at least makes use of its empty space as a travel vector. kaineng doesn't do that

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

While we're talking plot, I'mma just say it, the purists were right.

Their ancient guardian and protector dragon just so happens to go on the fritz and needs slaying the exact moment the legendary dragon slayer lands on their shores? who then goes on a killing spree of citizens wearing the wrong colors in the streets of their largest cities and grabbing whatever they can out of their pockets or nearby chests after and smashing most of the jadetech they come across that propelled them into the future and they are just supposed to believe we're the good guys and we're only killing the bad guys.

Plus Minister Li is a better boss fight than Balthazar.

they're fascists OP

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Broken clock right about that one particular thing to not immediately give you full trust and power to slaughter every person with a red healthbar above their heads in the streets for the greater good, lovely about absolutely everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-in-2023/

Roadmap I guess.