Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

CainFortea posted:

All things shot down, unless identified, are UFOs.

Unidentified Crashed Object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

IPCRESS posted:

Unidentified Crashed Object.

I wonder if someone’s gonna make light of the USAF officer corps’s predilection for swinging at some point by developing a program whose acronyms are “UCUCK.” Unrelated to but inspired by this post, just fyi.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Second, instead of a balloon, what was it, a drone? I'm trying to imagine something the size of a car that would enter our airspace unwelcomed. I can only think of glider/drone/balloon type items, unless it is.... aliens.

Some crank on Trappist-1D right now:

I'm still surprised they didn't shoot the balloon down once it entered Alaskan airspace. There's no way they didn't see it given that has been the expected air route for Russia and China for all of 80 years, and it's not like shooting the thing down over the empty mountains would be a hazard. Whatever prevented them from doing that last week, the gloves are off now.

ET stay away, it's a bad time to randomly drop by... again.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Orthanc6 posted:

Some crank on Trappist-1D right now:

I'm still surprised they didn't shoot the balloon down once it entered Alaskan airspace. There's no way they didn't see it given that has been the expected air route for Russia and China for all of 80 years, and it's not like shooting the thing down over the empty mountains would be a hazard. Whatever prevented them from doing that last week, the gloves are off now.

ET stay away, it's a bad time to randomly drop by... again.

Gonna have to call spocknizzle and let him know that the urethral sounding event at the local NYC dungeon is canceled. Very sad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zamujasa posted:

cats are good, but i'm allergic, so dogs it is

Had cats my entire life. In my 40s the doc says I'm possibly developing allergies to them now. Getting old sucks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baconroll posted:

German 250Kg bomb went off while being defused in the UK today,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-64604115

No casualities - looks like the site had been prepared with berms and was being remotely defused with a robot. I guess after 80 years some of this stuff is a bit touchy !

I'm glad to see the safety procedures worked. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Phil is a Great Pyrenees/ Anatolian Shepherd mix. Wandered off a farm in TN and got picked up by the man. Wound up at a rescue in PA and now he’s with us in MD.

Mia is the one in the background, she is a Pyr/ lab mix that we board occasionally.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird food bathtub posted:

Had cats my entire life. In my 40s the doc says I'm possibly developing allergies to them now. Getting old sucks.

Take a claritin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wonder Free posted:

Phil is a Great Pyrenees/ Anatolian Shepherd mix. Wandered off a farm in TN and got picked up by the man. Wound up at a rescue in PA and now he’s with us in MD.

Mia is the one in the background, she is a Pyr/ lab mix that we board occasionally.

My gf has two of that mix that guard her goats.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Zamujasa posted:

cats are good, but i'm allergic, so dogs it is

same. good thing i love dogs

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Mr. Nice! posted:

My gf has two of that mix that guard her goats.

They’re good dogs. One took down 8 coyotes protecting its flock recently. https://people.com/pets/great-pyrenees-named-casper-attacks-coyote-pack-to-protect-sheep/

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wonder Free posted:

They’re good dogs. One took down 8 coyotes protecting its flock recently. https://people.com/pets/great-pyrenees-named-casper-attacks-coyote-pack-to-protect-sheep/

I read an article that says they think he hunted down the remaining 3 while he was missing for a couple of days.

I desperately want that to be true. It's like Rambo in dog form.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bulletsponge13 posted:

He's not a mascot, but I just want to share my favorite picture of Detective Tubbs Lumpkins, MD. This is the night my wife brought home an abandoned 2 week old kitten, who I refused to name until her first vet appointment- where we found out she was younger than we thought.
"What rescue cared for her?"
"My husband."
"Wow. He did an amazing job. Any experience?"
"He'd say the Infantry. He just loves little furry things "

If the big hoss in the background is anything like the 100 pound black lab we had when we brought in a stray kitten, its reaction will be something along the line of "HI NEW FRAND I DOG".

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

If the big hoss in the background is anything like the 100 pound black lab we had when we brought in a stray kitten, its reaction will be something along the line of "HI NEW FRAND I DOG".

It was. They are still buddies- he just doesn't try to carry her out by her head anymore.

The good Detective assumes everyone is his friend and that they enjoy truffles, where he licks and sniffles his friend. He accidentally murdered a guinea pig by trying to cuddle it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ugh I really hate to do this but this tweet is :stonk: if you recall ANYTHING about Sarah Huckabee Sanders' family

https://twitter.com/sam_jeske/status/1623764582186602497?s=46&t=DPX8p4G2oNA-IQTiNxXetg

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Look at the camera and the dog at the same time?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ugh I really hate to do this but this tweet is :stonk: if you recall ANYTHING about Sarah Huckabee Sanders' family

https://twitter.com/sam_jeske/status/1623764582186602497?s=46&t=DPX8p4G2oNA-IQTiNxXetg

GOP trying it’s hardest to make Fetch happen.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Look at the camera and the dog at the same time?

:drat:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

I just want to reiterate the US just shot down a literal Unidentified Flying Object in TYOOL 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpvGs7-X1X4

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/julianbarnes/status/1624127446676082701

Looks like nobody involved on the defense side is loving around with the balloon poo poo any more.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1624129901434380289

We have a block of Sidewinders nearing their use-by date don't we.

brains
May 12, 2004

it is beyond funny to me that this is just like the 90s 'tough on crime' poo poo except its tough on balloons

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I predict that the future war on balloons will be the same self-destructive policy dead end for gen z that the war on drugs is for boomers.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

brains posted:

it is beyond funny to me that this is just like the 90s 'tough on crime' poo poo except its tough on balloons

balloon tower defense 6 was free on epic games in december, coincidence??? I think not

also it's a very fun game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

ASAPI posted:

I read an article that says they think he hunted down the remaining 3 while he was missing for a couple of days.

I desperately want that to be true. It's like Rambo in dog form.

that's a decent way to describe livestock guard dogs, yeah

brains posted:

lol tough on balloons is going to be a thing in 2024

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 11, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that's a decent way to describe livestock guard dogs, yeah

lol tough on balloons is going to be a thing in 2024

SWAT is gonna go ham on party city then.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Regarding the recent hoopla over the gas ranges, haven't they been banned from new construction in like, a bunch of all states already?

TheWeedNumber posted:

SWAT is gonna go ham on party city then.

Oh they're gonnna go ham alright

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not getting rid of our gas range but I would like to add proper ventilation over it. Need to go exploring in the soffit over the microwave to see if I can get some ducting in there.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Milo and POTUS posted:

Regarding the recent hoopla over the gas ranges, haven't they been banned from new construction in like, a bunch of all states already?

Oh they're gonnna go ham alright

I think natural gas was banned in CA at least, dryers, furnace/boiler, stove. I just got my stuff in before the change but electric is so efficient now anyways I kinda want to go that route. Just finished my in floor radiant and will just use a flash water heater for heat but I wish I had known you could do cooling with it as well and then my house would be perfect.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well it was a staggering amount of states I heard, like 30+. It just really highlighted how manufactured this outrage is

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

lightpole posted:

Dogs are people chekm8

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

lightpole posted:

I think natural gas was banned in CA at least, dryers, furnace/boiler, stove. I just got my stuff in before the change but electric is so efficient now anyways I kinda want to go that route. Just finished my in floor radiant and will just use a flash water heater for heat but I wish I had known you could do cooling with it as well and then my house would be perfect.

Eventually I suspect my gas range will become expensive or it will simply get old. Either way, I intend to replace it with an induction range. Hopefully I also have solar and batteries in place by then.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Arrath posted:

We have a block of Sidewinders nearing their use-by date don't we.

Looking forward to this summer's new genre of gender reveal stunts, wherein someone tries to bait the air force with some balloons filled with paint

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
In case it slipped by anyone else, Joe Pera has a podcast now called Drifting Off.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I do like the benefit of gas stove, fireplace, water heater when winter comes and we lose power for a week on end. It means we have hot water, a cook surface, and a warm room in our house no matter what. But we are probably being exposed to at least one of those appliance micro leaking all year long so that’s not good.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

I do like the benefit of gas stove, fireplace, water heater when winter comes and we lose power for a week on end. It means we have hot water, a cook surface, and a warm room in our house no matter what. But we are probably being exposed to at least one of those appliance micro leaking all year long so that’s not good.

My gas stove in my last house had a safety feature where it would lock out the gas if it lost power so it wasn't even useful during a power outage.

I've got an induction cooktop now and it's fantastic. The cookware compatibility thing is a way smaller issue than people make it out to be. Unless you're using a ceramic tagine or a lovely aluminum nonstick pan, pretty much any modern cookware made in the last 10 years will work.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
But my round bottomed wok...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

But my round bottomed wok...

Yeah that's a weak spot. I've got a large sautee pan that's OK for stir fry and some of the higher end induction stoves apparently work with flat bottomed woks, but they're pretty pricey at the moment. As someone who cooks a lot of east/SE asian foods it hasn't been a huge issue, though.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

They make adapters for that!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I bought an outdoor propane burner for wok stuff. Caught the handle of my old cheap wok on fire the first time I used it. And now I don’t get yelled at for getting the kitchen all oily.