Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

mobby_6kl posted:

Except in the ground attack role
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I like the theory that the balloon was actually NASA’s; it was created to hold up the model of the ISS for amateur photography (because space travel isn’t real) and just happened to get too low for some reason.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How viable is an AC-747 gunship?

Good idea, I've got a 747-SP with optional side-door that's just sitting around.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I am not a drone pilot, but drones are affected by the weather just as any other aircraft is. I can certainly see how it would be useful to know that the winds are 30 knots if your little eggbeater can only fly 25 knots. And I know that you have to maintain line-of-sight to your drone; by definition you can't do that if it's further away from you than the local visibility. Seems like you should know where to look this stuff up.
When you're flying an acro 5" or under literally none of that poo poo matters. If it's more than 10kph of wind you don't really fly, and most people never go past the highest environment features.
If you fly something fixed wing or autonomous, you should absolutely know all that poo poo.

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/mr_jce/status/1623328115039563781?s=61&t=nvJvEih-BvVPWYxbJom7Ag

I was wondering if there would end up being video of this...Controlled Flight Into Plane

Zoodpipe fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 8, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

E: tweet got nuked but I'm still screaming

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 8, 2023

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The only valid reaction - Yes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hermsgervørden posted:

I know this is likely harder than I can possibly imagine, but what about launching a bunch of weights that are trailing cables or wires to entangle the gondola. I picture some sort of guided rocket that could carry the worth’s and trailing cables. My theory being that it wouldn’t take all that much to overcome the buoyancy provided by the envelope and now you have the whole payload to study and also a valuable chit to negotiate with the PRC.

It was shot down in less than 100’ of seawater. We already have the entire payload, without any Rube Goldberg machinery.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Zoodpipe posted:

https://twitter.com/mr_jce/status/1623328115039563781?s=61&t=nvJvEih-BvVPWYxbJom7Ag

I was wondering if there would end up being video of this...Controlled Flight Into Plane

What was it?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the R9X seems like it could be ideal for anti-balloon missions

https://www.reuters.com/world/little-known-modified-hellfire-likely-killed-al-qaedas-zawahiri-2022-08-02/

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

What was it?

Oh - I don't know why the tweet was deleted - I'll see if I can find another copy.

It was video of the near miss in Austin between SWA and FedEx from last week.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

the R9X seems like it could be ideal for anti-balloon missions

I don't think there's a platform that can both carry a hellfire and also get it within range of a balloon at 60,000+ft.

Edit: apparently the Reaper has a ceiling of 50,000ft, that might be close enough but then it may not be capable of targeting something above it.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 8, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Theris posted:

I don't think there's a platform that can both carry a hellfire and also get it within range of a balloon at 60,000+ft.

Edit: apparently the Reaper has a ceiling of 50,000ft, that might be close enough but then it may not be capable of targeting something above it.

Just have it do a roll

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

I like the theory that the balloon was actually NASA’s; it was created to hold up the model of the ISS for amateur photography (because space travel isn’t real) and just happened to get too low for some reason.

That’s better than the “EMP test run” I heard someone talking about last night.

I didn’t get a good response to asking what that would accomplish when we nuke the poo poo out of whoever did it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure but I still want a 747 with a giant freaking laser on it

Fair. But it is the 2020s now.

Install a solid state laser the size of the old chemical laser.

Midjack posted:

Lower the power and rent it out to fly loops around Burning Man or something.

If this a laser-light show idea, I'm disappointed. If it's an AC-747 idea, I'm down.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wouldn't it be called AC-33?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

fknlo posted:

That’s better than the “EMP test run” I heard someone talking about last night.

I didn’t get a good response to asking what that would accomplish when we nuke the poo poo out of whoever did it.

Yeah it's strange that so many people seem to think a countrywide EMP attack from a foreign state is some sort of cheat code that invalidates retaliation. 'That one weird trick that destroys America that they don't want you to know' sort of thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, I can't believe we forgot to emp harden our nuke silos. I guess china gets one free one.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Wouldn't it be called AC-33?

Or AC-25.

Of course, the military tends to be all over the map with designating Boeing 7X7 variants, with the 707 being designated as C-18(with EC and TC variants), C-137 (with EC and VC variants), E-3, E-6, E-8 and technically the C-135 family, even though that's technically the Dash 80.The 737 being designated T-43, C-40, and P-8.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Or AC-25.

Of course, the military tends to be all over the map with designating Boeing 7X7 variants, with the 707 being designated as C-18(with EC and TC variants), C-137 (with EC and VC variants), E-3, E-6, E-8 and technically the C-135 family, even though that's technically the Dash 80.The 737 being designated T-43, C-40, and P-8.
The E-4B is also a 747-200 with a different mod. All over the place is an accurate description.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah it's strange that so many people seem to think a countrywide EMP attack from a foreign state is some sort of cheat code that invalidates retaliation. 'That one weird trick that destroys America that they don't want you to know' sort of thing.

You’re retaliating against whom, exactly? The entire point is that there’s not a huge launch signature for the SBiRS sats to see or a very obvious radar track pointing back to the launching country. This why MAD becomes exponentially less stable for each additional player at the table.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wasn't talking about a balloon attack in particular and more the inexplicable perception that 'EMP's don't count somehow' that some people seem to have. That you could just openly fire a missile with impunity and America would just have to go. Welp. :shrug:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

I wasn't talking about a balloon attack in particular and more the inexplicable perception that 'EMP's don't count somehow' that some people seem to have. That you could just openly fire a missile with impunity and America would just have to go. Welp. :shrug:

My understanding is that the people who think "EMPs don't count somehow" think that because they believe <US geopolitical rival they're most afraid of> either currently has or is developing something that can generate a large-scale EMP without involving a nuclear weapon. In their fantasy it doesn't count for nuclear retaliation because it wouldn't be a nuclear attack.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Theris posted:

My understanding is that the people who think "EMPs don't count somehow" think that because they believe <US geopolitical rival they're most afraid of> either currently has or is developing something that can generate a large-scale EMP without involving a nuclear weapon. In their fantasy it doesn't count for nuclear retaliation because it wouldn't be a nuclear attack.

And because they assume something that produces one of the telltales of a nuke without triggering the other detection systems won't just be interpreted as a nuke and also the detection systems were hacked.

Or they're starting at the conclusion and working backwards because people fall down these rabbit holes because they fulfill a psychological need and will tie themselves into whatever knots they need to if it lets them feel like they hold special knowledge The Man doesn't want them to know.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Or AC-25.

C-135s and 707s are similar looking, but are very different airplanes when you get into their guts. They share an ancestor in the Dash-80, but evolution diverged from there.

The E-x birds are 707 derivatives, not C-135s. C-137s are 707 based as well, but were purchased as new-builds. The E-3s and E-6s were new-build as well (the E-6s were the very last 707s off the line.) The E-8s and C-18s of various flavors are 707s as well, but were converted from commercial aircraft.

The system makes sense once you understand how stupidly complex the Dash-80 family tree is. :v:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else seen the trailer for this movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25zXBIUVr0

I had to look up the route the plane in the movie was supposedly flying. It's Singapore > Tokyo > Hawaii. In an MD-80.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Has anyone else seen the trailer for this movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25zXBIUVr0

I had to look up the route the plane in the movie was supposedly flying. It's Singapore > Tokyo > Hawaii. In an MD-80.

Somewhere, a DAL fleet planner is laughing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Somewhere, a DAL fleet planner is laughing.

I was thinking more a crying northwest logo. Delta ditched NRT as soon as they could.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cable Guy posted:

Jesus... they walked into the hospital 'unscathed' after being transported there.

loving miracle.

From what I understand from the news (described by the state Premier no less), they more or less pancaked straight onto rising ground so it was a very lucky thing. I'm only guessing but could it be that unsteady air from fire thermals could have caused them to lose lift while they were at low altitude and they ran out of room?

edit ATSB investigation to keep track of.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 10, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject...ml?amp_js_v=0.1

Banner drat week for the F22 program. Gonna pay off that umpteen billion any day now at this rate. :v:

Kind of sounds like it was a UAS of some kind though I suppose “fukkin balloon” also falls into that.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 10, 2023

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious
xcom reboot looking good

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
are there any fun facts / hot takes about the dash 7 or 8 (other than being canadian)?

i only fly in flight sims but to me they're both some of the coolest-looking civilian planes and i think turboprops are neato

the twin otter is very cool as well imo, a stubby little sibling

otherwise what's the coolest-looking civilian airplane?

vvv oh drat yeah, extremely cool vvv

that reminds me of the lear fan 2100

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 11, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

the milk machine posted:

Starship. No question.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Piaggio P.180 Avanti

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Caravelle

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Convair 990; Latecoere 631; Staggerwing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

4-engine prop planes are rad and if I were a rich in need of executive transport, instead of a jet I'd get a Dash-7 luxed out

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

FuturePastNow posted:

4-engine prop planes are rad and if I were a rich in need of executive transport, instead of a jet I'd get a Dash-7 luxed out

Phone posting, but deHavilland 86.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How viable is an AC-747 gunship?

https://twitter.com/r_p_one/status/1623833209824739331?s=46&t=tuLR9Cpm2ECQKiStg8i4kA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

the milk machine posted:

doubleender super cub