Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Not like the Chozo themselves were any better either.

To be perfectly fair, aside from others trying to use them as weapons, Metroids more or less did their jobs until Samus nuked them out of existence.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Not like the Chozo themselves were any better either.

To be perfectly fair, aside from others trying to use them as weapons, Metroids more or less did their jobs until Samus nuked them out of existence.

Which was another example of the Chozo "Make a deadlier hunter!" methodology working out perfectly.

Really, Raven Beak was right. The Chozo's problem was stopping making deadly bioweapons. As long as they were in the cycle, they were doing pretty well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
That's the best part, in the winter, the hunter simply freezes to death.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think the X are much more deadly that Metroids.

Like the X can infect anything and are apparently invincible except against one very particular thing

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's less the cure being worse than the disease and more like when a breed of hunting dog attacks a baby.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Which was another example of the Chozo "Make a deadlier hunter!" methodology working out perfectly.

Really, Raven Beak was right. The Chozo's problem was stopping making deadly bioweapons. As long as they were in the cycle, they were doing pretty well.

They never really stopped making incredibly lethal living weapons. They just peaked with Samus

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Unlucky7 posted:

Plus, when the Metroids started evolving, most of the Chozo were like "okay let's nip this in the bud now and blow up this planet before this spirals out of control"

But one of those remaining Chozo was Raven Beak

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Metroids are very dangerous but the X are "if a single parasite gets loose the entire planet and anything that gets near it is hosed" levels of bad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Samus has the last braincell in the universe

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

They just beaked with Samus

You were this close to a solid :dadjoke: and missed it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Electric Phantasm posted:

The galaxy is at peace.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

LividLiquid posted:

If they do re-release Prime 2, I think I might give it a second chance and finally beat it this time.

I really didn't think much of it last time. I hated beam weapon ammo, I wasn't into every environment being ugly on purpose (not as an artistic choice, mind; just as a personal preference) when Prime 1's environments were so beautiful, we'd already just done an evil Samus clone in Fusion, and the Light/Dark world gimmick was lifted straight from A Link to the Past.

But everybody here seems to really enjoy Prime 2, so there's gotta' be an appeal I missed last time. It does tend to happen. I can bounce off things only to later discover I could like them for what they are instead of disliking them for what they aren't.

The boss fights are largely inventive and fun, sanctuary fortress is probably the coolest environment in a Metroid game (with the coolest enemies) and it’s more difficult than the first one without necessarily being unfair.

It is definitely uglier in general which is a drag. I think it would have been just as good of an aesthetic choice to have the normal aether sections be beautiful paradises that are totally empty and spooky, and then have the dark versions be what we got. Instead we got a horrible swamp and a miserable wasteland on what’s supposed to be the nice side. Oh well!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nah, the Feddies in Prime are mostly... reasonably competent. They've got all kinds of safety measures for when they use the liquified pure evil, and the safety measures actually work most of the time, when they have to do part of a mission they pull it off well enough, and the Marines Samus was sent to rescue managed to hold out quite a while before dying (admittedly, to low level enemies).

The Luminoth also seemed to be reasonably... bright. At least, they're a precursor race that managed to not get themselves wiped out by ancient evil or their own hubris, so they're beating the spread.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

At least one of the “nerfs” that Prime 2’s bosses got were actually glitch fixes. Part of the reason the Boost Guardian was insanely hard in the original release was the boost could glitch out and cause infinite damage. I know Spider Guardian is the other one people complain about but I can’t recall if there was some glitch or if they just made it do less damage to you.

Pretty much every boss in the Metroid Prime series is well-designed. I can’t think of any that I loving hated. But if I did they were probably in 2 lol gently caress Chykka’s adult form, it’s annoying but it’s still a pretty great fight! I just googled it and some guy on Reditt claims that they made that fight easier in Trilogy, too.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Dread has the best bosses in the series IMO, even though they take a lot of tries the first time around while you learn their patterns. I’m mostly digging the Prime bosses so far but I’m actually surprised how few there have been at this point. And they all have a real Zelda vibe to them where you have to reveal a weak point through a very simple “puzzle” then attack it. It’s too bad evading is so clunky in Prime because so far I end up kind of slowly getting out of the way or just tanking lots of hits while I attack. I really love the fast paced dance of the Dread fights and hope they figure out a way to do it in 3D for MP4.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MokBa posted:

Dread has the best bosses in the series IMO, even though they take a lot of tries the first time around while you learn their patterns. I’m mostly digging the Prime bosses so far but I’m actually surprised how few there have been at this point. And they all have a real Zelda vibe to them where you have to reveal a weak point through a very simple “puzzle” then attack it. It’s too bad evading is so clunky in Prime because so far I end up kind of slowly getting out of the way or just tanking lots of hits while I attack. I really love the fast paced dance of the Dread fights and hope they figure out a way to do it in 3D for MP4.

Might I recommend Metroid: Other M?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No. Nobody should do that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One of the things I liked about Dread's bosses is that the intro or phase cutscenes show off the weak point of the boss in surprisingly subtle ways, or at least as subtle as you can be when you are trying to signal to the player "Shoot this, stupid"

EDIT: I am still slightly confused about one thing in Metroid 2: Other than the Metroids mutating and the danger of Space Pirates dipping into that well again, what was the point of exterminating them? That is like traveling to Africa to personally kill every remaining Lion because someone got one as a pet and had the thing kill someone else. Seems a bit short sighted, which may have been the point on one hand, but on the other that is on retrospec after the events of Metroid Fusion, where it literally comes back to bite Samus in the rear end.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 11, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A bit I loved at the end of Dread was when Raven Beak, after putting up a ridiculously tough fight against Samus unlike any other opponent in the series, lasts less than 5 seconds out in the open before being killed by an X parasite.

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 11, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MokBa posted:

It's been a little bit since I played Prime, but the double-jump converts to a double-dash when on the ground that lets you dodge pretty well, if I remember right. It's not flashy, but it can get you out of the way of pretty much every attack if you time it right.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: I am still slightly confused about one thing in Metroid 2: Other than the Metroids mutating and the danger of Space Pirates dipping into that well again, what was the point of exterminating them? That is like traveling to Africa to personally kill every remaining Lion because someone got one as a pet and had the thing kill someone else. Seems a bit short sighted, which may have been the point on one hand, but on the other that is on retrospec after the events of Metroid Fusion, where it literally comes back to bite Samus in the rear end.

This made me look up the Metroid 2 manual to see how it's all explained. Basically, the Galactic Federation had researchers on SR388 pick up some stasised metroids which were then stolen by the Space Pirates leading into Metroid 1. Then they went back again with more folks to make sure there weren't any metroids left after the whole Zebes affair. But then those guys never came back so they sent some rescue folks Then those guys never came back so they sent some combat folks. And... you get the picture. News spread and folks started panicking, so finally they sent Samus in.

tl;dr: the Federation hosed up a lot and decided the only solution was metroid murder

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Metroid II is my favorite Game Boy game. I've probably replayed it a few dozen times over the years.

If you haven't already gotten there, the last area is fantastic. It's not that dramatically different from the rest of the game, but it really nails the subtleties of the atmosphere.

i just wrapped up the game earlier and you were right, it's really something how atmospheric you can get with four colours and a tiny little screen. i was down to 4 energy after taking out the last of the really big nasty metroids and ended up limping all the way to the final zone, paranoid that i'd hosed myself.

the final chozo statue being a shattered pile of rubble holding the ice beam was some top tier mood setting, let me tell you

but i did it! and now the last metroid is in captivity. the galaxy is at peace. :unsmith:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

To be fair to Other M (ugh) it did have pretty decent bosses. Too bad the controls were uhhhhh that. And also too bad about every single other thing in that game.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

At least one of the “nerfs” that Prime 2’s bosses got were actually glitch fixes. Part of the reason the Boost Guardian was insanely hard in the original release was the boost could glitch out and cause infinite damage. I know Spider Guardian is the other one people complain about but I can’t recall if there was some glitch or if they just made it do less damage to you.

Pretty much every boss in the Metroid Prime series is well-designed. I can’t think of any that I loving hated. But if I did they were probably in 2 lol gently caress Chykka’s adult form, it’s annoying but it’s still a pretty great fight! I just googled it and some guy on Reditt claims that they made that fight easier in Trilogy, too.

Spider Guardian is just hard because of morph ball mechanics (and I hate it more than Boost Guardian)
Spring Ball made is waaaaay easier.

Boost Guardian was so hard at first even the devs couldnt beat it consistently tho.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Unlucky7 posted:

One of the things I liked about Dread's bosses is that the intro or phase cutscenes show off the weak point of the boss in surprisingly subtle ways, or at least as subtle as you can be when you are trying to signal to the player "Shoot this, stupid"

I like how this also applies to Raven Beak, the cutscene at the start of the game where he showed up and whooped Samus' rear end also shows how to actually knock off his lightning armor for when you finally fight him.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Just Andi Now posted:

tl;dr: the Federation hosed up a lot and decided the only solution was cut Samus a check

ftfy. :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ChaseSP posted:

SA-X was way cooler than Dark Samus in 3 which is way more lame than how Dark Samus is portrayed in 2 as this massive force interested purely in two things. Getting More Phazon and trying to kill you whenever you ran across each other.

Yeah Dark Samus sucks and when she gets to the pirate homeworld and tears through all the space pirates it's

awesome, there is nothing wrong with Dark Samus. Dark Samus the best and our saviour. Hail Dark Samus.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Dark Samus is basically what if Samus had a plan instead of just loving things up when they run in front of her

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Ing had a pretty cool design tbh, I wouldn't mind seeing them again

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MokBa posted:

Evading isn’t clunky at all? You can do a quick dash by quickly tapping B twice while locked on and strafing iirc. Helps avoid basically everything. You should never be tanking lots of hits in MP.

Edit: Boost Guardian was only hard because of the infinite damage glitch. I recall when I did my Let’s Play of the trilogy I nailed Boost Guardian on my seventh try

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 11, 2023

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The Ing had a pretty cool design tbh, I wouldn't mind seeing them again

I always liked the cosmic irony of the Moth People getting saved by the Bird Lady

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Evading isn’t clunky at all? You can do a quick dash by quickly tapping B twice while locked on and strafing iirc. Helps avoid basically everything. You should never be tanking lots of hits in MP.

It makes Samus feel extremely clunky whenever she can't lock on, Thardus is the worst fight for this

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

No Dignity posted:

It makes Samus feel extremely clunky whenever she can't lock on, Thardus is the worst fight for this

But you can always stayed locked onto Thardus, except for when he's rolling around but you're meant to be in morph ball at that point.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No Dignity posted:

I thought Thardus’s whole thing was using the whatever visor so you can keep locking onto it? Anyway I think you can use boost ball to get away quickly if need be.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was definitely exaggerating a bit about it. The dodge works fine but there's been 20 years of game design since then so to my dumb modern sensibilities it feels clunky. I'm about halfway through the game and have not come even close to dying. I still take more hits than I would in Dread just because I can't see much around me or I jump instead of straff and all the other things that come with an older FPS.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

But you can always stayed locked onto Thardus, except for when he's rolling around but you're meant to be in morph ball at that point.

The morph ball kind of sucks for that fight too though as the camera won't always show you where he is before it's too late. Maybe it's just an annoying fight in general, it's only fight in the game I usually die on at least once

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought Thardus’s whole thing was using the whatever visor so you can keep locking onto it? Anyway I think you can use boost ball to get away quickly if need be.

Maybe it was user error but I thought he had phases where you can't lock on with any visor?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, you use the Thermal Visor to stay locked onto his weakspot, and switch to combat when the thermal gets overloaded (but by then should have done enough damage to expose the Phazon Rock anyways)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

No Dignity posted:

The morph ball kind of sucks for that fight too though as the camera won't always show you where he is before it's too late. Maybe it's just an annoying fight in general, it's only fight in the game I usually die on at least once

Just keep boost balling around the edge of the arena and he'll almost never hit you.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah, you use the Thermal Visor to stay locked onto his weakspot, and switch to combat when the thermal gets overloaded (but by then should have done enough damage to expose the Phazon Rock anyways)

The thermal visor doesn't get overloaded UNTIL you expose the phazon.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Also I'm happy Trilogy/Remasterd MP1 still lets you rapid fire missiles by spamming fire and missile. It's amazing when you get a bunch of missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

DeafNote posted:

Boost Guardian was so hard at first even the devs couldnt beat it consistently tho.
the story is that nintendo told them 'hey boost guardian and spider guardian are too easy' with like three days before the game was supposed to go gold, so they tweaked some numbers and accidentally made them way too hard (on top of the other issues including the glitches etc.) and didn't have time to fix that