Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The term is "sphexishness".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CPColin posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I saw a coworker lament an obnoxious process repeatedly without doing anything about it, I wouldn't have to create obnoxious processes for them to bump into repeatedly for a living!

Edit: Though I did finally have a user report one such obnoxious process. Only problem was that when I asked how they would like me to change it to fix it, they replied, "I don't know."
I bring the requirements from the customers to the engineers!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Meanwhile, I'm over here, empowered to spend 2 hours to change something, to save myself upwards of 5 minutes about once every year :smuggo:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh some of this gives me vibes of learned helplessness from being stuck under some lovely micromanagement within, like, the past 7 years or so.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Google has decided to pull our app from the app store for non compliance to their guidelines. Oh no.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I've said so many times

I'm not saying that this particular person doesn't suck, and I think the most likely explanation is that a previous role trained them to do this, but I think it's good for all of us to remember if that if we feel like we're repeating ourselves without getting understood, the problem isn't necessarily entirely on the listener's end. It might be worth getting a third party from your team (a manager or peer) to give you feedback on these exchanges.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

raminasi posted:

I'm not saying that this particular person doesn't suck, and I think the most likely explanation is that a previous role trained them to do this, but I think it's good for all of us to remember if that if we feel like we're repeating ourselves without getting understood, the problem isn't necessarily entirely on the listener's end. It might be worth getting a third party from your team (a manager or peer) to give you feedback on these exchanges.

Not sure I get this point, can you just repeat it louder and angrier?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Aramoro posted:

Google has decided to pull our app from the app store for non compliance to their guidelines. Oh no.

Say goodbye to <1% of your revenue, sucker!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

prom candy posted:

Say goodbye to <1% of your revenue, sucker!

It was going to be a massive problem for us, like VPs making personal calls to Google folk they knew level. But weve managed to fix it. :toot:

Android share is still small compared to iOS, we have like 1.2m active Android users something like that but its way way less than iOS in the US. The US mobile market is absolutely wild.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 20, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Aramoro posted:

It was going to be a massive problem for us, like VPs making personal calls to Google folk they knew level. But weve managed to fix it. :toot:

Android share is still small compared to iOS, we have like 1.2m active Android users something like that but its way way less than iOS in the US. The US mobile market is absolutely wild.

Our product is b2b so our numbers are much smaller but we had a customer who oversees a team of about 150-200 users hound us for months about how an android app was an absolute necessity for his people. We finally bundled up our web app as a PWA and put it in the Play Store for them. Fewer than 10 people used it to log in even one time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Android does matter to us but it's always just kinda worked. Apple reject the iOS app all the time for various reasons and it seems to be a constant struggle to keep them happy. So this really came from left field, they just sent someone an email along the lines of 'by the way we're removing your app from the app store in 7 days' no appeal process, no contact at Google to escalate to just an automated message. It was pretty wild.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

raminasi posted:

Oh, absolutely. Despite that I didn't manage to weave that perspective into my post, my default assumption in pretty much all situations is that I'm to blame one way or another. (I'm the technical co-founder at a small startup so it's more or less all my fault anyway)

This person actually doesn't suck, they can be quite efficient and in many situations get things done faster than most by staying focused. But this tendency to ignore any distractions can go too far and sometimes the distractions shouldn't be ignored. At least a proposal made to address it later.

I've come around to think, in this recent case at least, it's mostly a matter of how they communicate their frustration. Yes, this person needs to learn how to improve technical debt in small pieces when it impacts their current work, but addressed or not it's a legitimate cause of frustration. What we need to work on is building ownership such that even if that code predates you and you've never touched it, doesn't mean it's somebody else's problem.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Aramoro posted:

Android does matter to us but it's always just kinda worked. Apple reject the iOS app all the time for various reasons and it seems to be a constant struggle to keep them happy. So this really came from left field, they just sent someone an email along the lines of 'by the way we're removing your app from the app store in 7 days' no appeal process, no contact at Google to escalate to just an automated message. It was pretty wild.

It's really annoying and scary how easily the big players can just completely shutter a business if they want to with no accountability. See also Twitter just banning third party clients this week.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that when I followed your directions to run Address Sanitizer with your library enabled that it crashed, and when ran it without Address Sanitizer, it also crashed. When I disabled the additions with your library then it didn't crash. When are you going to fix it?

No, I didn't run Address Sanitizer without your additions. That was part of your debug.

No, what do you mean that you showed me where Address Sanitizer pointed out a buffer overrun before I went off on this tangent? I thought on the phone call where you pointed that out and told me to fix it that you were had to fix your library. When is your library going to fix my buffer overrun?

Can we have a quick call at 7:30PM while your wife is next to you asking to figure out her favorite food?

(Answer: Anything that's red. Tomatoes, tikka masala, beets, human blood, whatever.)

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that when I followed your directions to run Address Sanitizer with your library enabled that it crashed, and when ran it without Address Sanitizer, it also crashed. When I disabled the additions with your library then it didn't crash. When are you going to fix it?

No, I didn't run Address Sanitizer without your additions. That was part of your debug.

No, what do you mean that you showed me where Address Sanitizer pointed out a buffer overrun before I went off on this tangent? I thought on the phone call where you pointed that out and told me to fix it that you were had to fix your library. When is your library going to fix my buffer overrun?

Can we have a quick call at 7:30PM while your wife is next to you asking to figure out her favorite food?

(Answer: Anything that's red. Tomatoes, tikka masala, beets, human blood, whatever.)

New developer time, that one's brain is broken.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Tbh I can't make heads or tails of your post

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Xarn posted:

Tbh I can't make heads or tails of your post

A developer is blaming a third party library for a crashed application. The crash has nothing to do with the library, and on a support call the library owner said "nah it's not us, your app crashes right here and it's your fault". Dev then says "great you've found the problem now fix it for me".

A dev that truly has no idea what they're doing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A dev that truly has no idea what they're doing.
or, the most idea what they're doing

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Blinkz0rz posted:

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

You make 100% of the shots you don’t miss

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The original program had a buffer overrun in it. It seemed to work until they started to use my library. They then blamed the library.

Having just dealt with somebody else who did the same thing, and having found a double free in their code, and having fixed that, everything started working.

But in this case, they listened to me pointing out the overrun we found in their code and somehow figured I was going to fix something on my side instead that would magically fix it.

Normally, this kind of "it crashed when I added X therefore X is the problem" would be completely logical, but when you're playing with pointers and driving across memory like a toddler ramming a Tonka dump truck around the sandbox, then that logic totally explodes.

For example, that double free was causing a crash where valgrind thought OpenSSL was doing something odd. It turned out the double free was murdering the allocation table so it could no longer even tell what was what.

So when you have exposed memory violations and are letting them stay while you gently caress around, you have entered some eldritch non-Euclidian hellworld with blue and orange morality. It might claim to crash because of X but that's because the overrun shoved brain worms into the program and now it spews nonsense.

My library could have issues (it uses something that does leak) but I did specifically test it for memory violations. It was also written in Rust so while having some unsafe blocks, I have a lot more faith in it's memory correctness despite the library being relatively young.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I followed your advice and removed all the calls to free, and the problem got worse. Ball's in your court now, buddy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
No it was worse than that:

I commented out the call that was causing the overrun and it still crashes when it calls your code. No, I did not try Address Sanitizer after commenting out the code. Do you have time for a quick call?

(My power and Internet is out right now)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is that "clean code" book actually good advice? Lead is pushing for us to read it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Personally I think it is, and it's still relevant. But take what it says and dial it back a notch or two.
The examples should be taken as unobtainable ideals not realistic goals.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

brand engager posted:

Is that "clean code" book actually good advice? Lead is pushing for us to read it

Yes as long as you take everything with a grain of salt. Think of its advice more as “stuff you can think about as you’re building or refactoring” - you will still need to use your judgement to know when to break the “rules” it lays out.

It gets crazy specifically about function length and says something like all functions should be one or two lines.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Reading Clean Code as a group and talking about it one chapter at a time is great. You can collectively decide what advice to take and what to not. It’s great for team building.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
All methods should do one thing and one thing well. If it takes 20+ lines of code to do one thing so be it. :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FlapYoJacks posted:

All methods should do one thing and one thing well. If it takes 20+ lines of code to do one thing so be it. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OnoxKotPQ

but as your codebase.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Clean Code is a mix of banally correct advice and actively bad advice. If you can tell which is which then reading the book is a waste of time and if you can't then you're probably going to learn some bad habits from it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol there's always one.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

At least two. A goon wrote a long post about it a while back

https://qntm.org/clean

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

it's not a good book. read martin fowler stuff instead

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
The problem with the Microservices video is that they come up with much better dumb names then any developer actually does

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Harriet Carker posted:

Yes as long as you take everything with a grain of salt. Think of its advice more as “stuff you can think about as you’re building or refactoring” - you will still need to use your judgement to know when to break the “rules” it lays out.

It gets crazy specifically about function length and says something like all functions should be one or two lines.

This is also what I learned in school. Our professor told us that a function should do exactly one thing and one thing only, and if it does more than that, break it into multiple functions.

Obviously, I don't do that. But I do use a lot more functions than I might have otherwise, and that's a good thing.

This video is so excellently written. Love it every time

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 11, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Steve French posted:

At least two. A goon wrote a long post about it a while back

https://qntm.org/clean

drat, dude is getting roasted

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Clean code as a phenomenon is more destructive than the book itself. A lot of teams will treat it as a Bible, even though a bunch of stuff in it is obviously bad or outdated advice.

Developers who worry a bunch about "magic numbers" and breaking every logical block of code out into its own function rather than think critically about readability are the bane of my existence.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Kindle version is $30 so I'll go ahead and grab it

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

public static String URL_SEPARATOR = "/";

This kind of thing is when people think too much about magic numbers and anonymous string parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Following Clean Code is better than nothing if you're a beginner just at the point where you can create spaghetti code and have no strong opinions of your own. Once you get some experience you'll start to find examples of the book falling apart, but by then you know the rules well enough to know when to break them. If you're already a working dev then I'd read the book and let the ideas float around in your head but don't be dogmatic about anything.