Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Kerbtree posted:

Looking at it, I’m pretty sure you could just measure how long the thread should be, grind what remains of the thread above the ring away so you’ve got a flat surface to join to and then turn a replacement piece to bond onto it. It’s a thread on a cylinder, not etching the bible onto it.

I mean, yes and no. Francis Goossens did pretty much what you described for me. Working a lathe is not a secret lost art and the nature of the repair can be figured out with common sense, but for whatever reason, out of all the people on this earth who know how to turn threads on a lathe, not that many do pen repair. The ones who do are busy and charge appropriately for their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hello thread,

Quite a while back I wrote about buying and restoring my first vintage fountain pen - a Conway Stewart 36. At the time I thought I did a fine job of repairing it (sac replacement and nib alignment), but now, some years later, I see that I was wrong (about the nib part, the replacement sac holds). So I took another shot, aligned the tines some more, and gave it a few strokes on 8000 and 10000 grit stones.

It now writes beautifully, it glides on paper, the ink flow is very good, and the nib has a nice flex to it. All in all, an extremely pleasant writing experience, save for the fact that it squeaks while writing, with only slight pressure applied. It's worse on some papers, than the others. Didn't have the opportunity to try it with other inks (this is Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire). Is this normal for 14k gold nibs, or did I gently caress it up?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Weird question, do any of you have any experience with metal-bodied fountain pens?

I know this will be extremely expensive, but I'm looking for a sterling silver one. It's very important it be sterling silver, for personal reasons that need no explanation here.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

DicktheCat posted:

Weird question, do any of you have any experience with metal-bodied fountain pens?

I know this will be extremely expensive, but I'm looking for a sterling silver one. It's very important it be sterling silver, for personal reasons that need no explanation here.

I have a steel bodied pen and I do not like it, not very balanced as in heavy in the back. But if you have a manufacturer that knows what he is doing (and one would expect sheaffer to be that but alas), you could find something to your liking.
And no worries about your fear of werewolves, I think the wide range of people makes this place interesting.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I have a Rotring Newton that's all metal. Also a Schon DSGN Pocket 6 that's machined anodized aluminum. I used to have a Kaweco Sport Brass. Do you have a specific question?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DicktheCat posted:

I'd rather have a nice acrylic, celluloid, or ebonite pen body, but if money is truly no object Yard-O-Led is what you're looking for.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I'm betting they go with the Pilot × Pokémon Charizard

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DicktheCat posted:

Sterling silver pens tend to run very old and thus pricey and fussy. However there are some gorgeous filigree pens out there.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Metal-bodied pens feel really nice and weighty, but they can get tiring to hold for long periods if they're not balanced well. They're definitely a try-before-you-buy type of pen for me.

Pilot and Namiki have a bunch of sterling silver fountain pens. The Silvern Tsumugi is especially beautiful.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe
For another relatively fuss-free silver option, there's the Parker 75. It's vintage but operates just like a modern cartridge/converter pen, and examples in good condition aren't unreasonably priced.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've got one I got at the bookstore that has an enamelled or lacquered brass body and it looks great and writes nicely except for also being very prone to clogging for some reason.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I have an Ironsides from Birmingham Pen Company that's machined out of a stainless steel rod. It's heavy, but I've written with it for sustain periods without complaint. It doesn't post very well, but that's fine because the pen is already large enough. Unposted it's 51g and capped it's 81g.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Pen weight is personal preference. If you already like metal-bodied pens, a sterling silver pen isn't going to feel much different in hand than a brass or steel pen, though silver is supposedly "warmer" when writing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

though silver is supposedly "warmer" when writing.

What? Like as in vinyl records and analog synthesizers?

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What? Like as in vinyl records and analog synthesizers?

no, like the way plastic is warmer to the touch than stone

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Volkova III posted:

no, like the way plastic is warmer to the touch than stone

Something like this

I did say supposedly, as I've got at least half a dozen sterling silver pens and never really saw a difference.

Edit: I counted. I have eight Deltas and one Filcao in sterling silver. I don't remember buying the Filcao, but I guess I must have.

grack fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 3, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's been a while since pen, so it's time for pen.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

gschmidl posted:

oh my, that nib! Those threads! NSFW that poo poo man!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

gschmidl posted:

Nice post

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I may have a Dr. Jekyll moment here, in that the unknown imperfections make the magic happen.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Iroshizuku Tsutsuji, I really do, and the top writing here is the pure colour, from a cleaned pen. But I really love the darker version below, where I didn't clean out the black ink the Sheaffer had previously been filled with. Ah well.

Maybe I'll be brave and add a pipette of black to the bottle sometime.

Do people mix inks? Any stories, successful or otherwise?

Teach fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 11, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've never done it, but ink mixing is enough of a thing that some companies sell ink specifically geared towards it.

The general best practices are only mix inks from the same company, and do it in a sample vial.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't write enough so I've noticed my Iroshizuku darkens/concentrates over time in my Lamy 2000. I mean essentially what happened was I finally had to fill it, and the fresh ink was so much lighter than what I'd just been using. It's not a matter of dirty/mixing; used the same ink for years.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
I mean, the picture looks like Yama-budo to me.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Volkova III posted:

I mean, the picture looks like Yama-budo to me.

Yeah, take a look at some burgundy inks -- you can definitely get this color. Looks a lot like Sailor Okuyama to me.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

IME Sailor Okuyama leans a lot browner and darker (especially after a day or two of drying out in the pen). Yama-budo would probably be a better fit.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I keep a bottle of 3:1 Yama-Budo:Shin-Kai as a gorgeous purple. Someone first came up with it as a substitute for Lamy Dark Lilac.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Some good replies and recommendations, thank you!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Muir posted:

I keep a bottle of 3:1 Yama-Budo:Shin-Kai as a gorgeous purple. Someone first came up with it as a substitute for Lamy Dark Lilac.

Darn, I recently emptied my 15ml bottle of Shin-Kai and threw it out. It would have been great to pour in some yama-budo...

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It’s been awhile since I last bought a new fountain pen but I think I might want to pick one up. After having tried a lot of different Nakaya decapods when I lived in the Bay Area, I found that the feeling in the hand was very good for me - their current lineup on Nibs.com does appear to have a pretty long backorder though. Are there comparable pen bodies out there worth considering other than your classic smooth barrel shape?

For laughs I also checked to see if Romillopens was still around but the website doesn’t exist anymore - RIP. Got to try one more than a decade ago and it was definitely a wet nib.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

aldantefax posted:

It’s been awhile since I last bought a new fountain pen but I think I might want to pick one up. After having tried a lot of different Nakaya decapods when I lived in the Bay Area, I found that the feeling in the hand was very good for me - their current lineup on Nibs.com does appear to have a pretty long backorder though. Are there comparable pen bodies out there worth considering other than your classic smooth barrel shape?

For laughs I also checked to see if Romillopens was still around but the website doesn’t exist anymore - RIP. Got to try one more than a decade ago and it was definitely a wet nib.

The PenBBS 380 is unlike a Decapod in every way other than shape, but if you like the shape then it may be worth a look. For some vintage options, there's Omas and Wahl.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

aldantefax posted:

If you can find one, Taccia's Kaku-Tate is a very similar pen. Visconti's Medici is another faceted design, and Armando Simoni Club puts out the occasional paragon or milord knockoff.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

After years away from pens due to job reasons, I bought myself a new pen last week. It's uses Zebra G nibs and a custom feed and its pretty much exactly what I wanted from it, short of changing the laws of physics so that ink can flow better.

Also that the nib is going to only last a month or two at best (its one of the titaniums) so I'll need to replace it fairly often.

But other than that it rules.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Sankis posted:

After years away from pens due to job reasons, I bought myself a new pen last week. It's uses Zebra G nibs and a custom feed and its pretty much exactly what I wanted from it, short of changing the laws of physics so that ink can flow better.

Also that the nib is going to only last a month or two at best (its one of the titaniums) so I'll need to replace it fairly often.

First I’ve ever heard someone talk about a fountain pen nib only lasting a month or two as if that were normal. What’s up with these nibs? Are you just rough on them, or is it their construction??

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sankis posted:

Please tell me you didn't pay a ton for it. You can fit a Zebra G into a $3 Jinhao pen and it will work. I've done it. But I see people selling them as if they're super expensive flex pens for ridiculous markups all the time.

madmatt112 posted:

First I’ve ever heard someone talk about a fountain pen nib only lasting a month or two as if that were normal. What’s up with these nibs? Are you just rough on them, or is it their construction??

They're intended for super fine drawing work on dip pens and they need to be replaced every so often. They usually come in packs of several.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

madmatt112 posted:

Dip pen nibs are usually just steel, even if you don't manage to wear it down (which you will, because I'm pretty sure those are untipped) it'll start to rust. That's why they're replaceable in the first place.

Heath posted:

Please tell me you didn't pay a ton for it. You can fit a Zebra G into a $3 Jinhao pen and it will work. I've done it. But I see people selling them as if they're super expensive flex pens for ridiculous markups all the time.

Did that require bending/cutting, or are they actually at the right arc/size to just pop onto the feed and fit in the section?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Did that require bending/cutting, or are they actually at the right arc/size to just pop onto the feed and fit in the section?

It requires some bending to fit, but it's pretty close

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

OK I have a stupid problem. I've now recently hosed two nibs, a fine pilot (metro) and a fine faber castell (emotion). I don't think I really have the tools to fix them. I'm trying to find replacement nibs. What's the best place to find those or is this a "gently caress it just buy whole new pens" thing?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Tulip posted:

OK I have a stupid problem. I've now recently hosed two nibs, a fine pilot (metro) and a fine faber castell (emotion). I don't think I really have the tools to fix them. I'm trying to find replacement nibs. What's the best place to find those or is this a "gently caress it just buy whole new pens" thing?

I don't know about faber castell. For the cheaper pilots, most of their low end lines like metropolitan and kakuno share the same nibs, so you could buy a cheap kakuno and swap the nib in. I don't know where to find the nibs alone for less than $10 or however much the cheapest pens are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rytjL65dxlc

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The E-Motion uses a standard Faber-Castell steel nib. I can't find one in a US shop, for whatever reason, but they have them at Appelboom for right around $25. (They show the most expensive shipping in the cart, BTW, so be sure to click through if you want to see cheaper rates. Or add stuff so that it tops 100 euro, which is what I usually end up doing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Heath posted:

They're intended for super fine drawing work on dip pens and they need to be replaced every so often. They usually come in packs of several.

I guess I should have been more clear. This isn't just a jinhao frankenpen or whatever with a different nib shoved in. It has its own custom ebonite feed, nib unit, wide converter, etc and it can be replaced without needing to heatset or anything. With the right ink I can use it with barely any railroading. Plus it's a pretty nice ebonite pen on its own. If/when I get tried of the Zebra G poo poo I can just get one of their regular nib units and still have a nice pen,.

They seem to specialize in pens for drawing, in particular and also offer specially ground nibs like zoom, architect, oblique, etc

https://www.ospreypens.com/

Sankis fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 21, 2023