Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cerebral Bore posted:

i dunno, but he can't be as big of a dipshit as brown moses

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yup, Glenn's right.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1623999122448547842?s=20

From a pro-Ukrainian account. Ukrainian radar misidentified Romanian jets as Russian missiles.

oopsie didnt mean to try to draw in nato or anything just thought you all should know hehe how bout these russians?

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
This is very much a fash v fash fight, so that keeps me away from setting up on a side, but I have learned from civilization games that you can't just use any old cassus beli and skate off from warmonger penalties, and I think that's the sum of the average Ukraine supporters perception too

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

store for patriots

im glad you had a nice time in grozny :)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Good for you! I'd love to go someday. I'm glad they've rebuilt it as effectively as they have. It used to be a really beautiful city, so I'm happy it's becoming that again.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Azov commander seems to contest the popular notion that Bakhmut is being defended by low-quality units

Жорін з Азову posted:

⚡️The situation in and around Bakhmut itself is becoming more difficult every day. At the moment, the enemy shifted his attention and most of his forces directly to the city itself. They are trying to advance in the territories of the private sector, industrial zones. Extremely heavy battles are going on for every house, for every meter.

Our biggest problem is that now the most combat-ready units of our army are losing their best fighters. In contrast to the Russians, who threw garbage and unnecessary things here.

Of course, with tanks and weapons from foreign partners, we have a better chance of a successful counteroffensive. But we will be able to find tanks and aircraft. And we will not find such people who are dying now at the front - while we are waiting for supplies.

@MaksymZhorin 👊🏻
(from t.me/MaksymZhorin/4168, via tgsa)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Majorian posted:

Glenn/Tucker/Bri-chat needs to stay out of this thread, and if they're going to post here they need to do more than just troll.
the thread told you they don't want these rules.

Majorian posted:

It's almost as if mentioning/citing Tucker wasn't the issue.
you can talk about brie and tucker only as long as it's in a way you personally approve of? seems problematic.

what you probed me for was juxtaposing media coverage of seymour hersh's article and pointing out aaron mate's limited venues. it's legitimate media analysis and criticism.

can you honestly point to a single instance of why we need the rules in this thread specifically? show us.

i can do the opposite over and over to show your claimed concerns in this thread are imaginary as others have pointed out to you. people were actually riffing off what you said was a "troll":

CODChimera posted:

comedyblissoption posted:

the most popular cable news show on tv criticizes the liberal media and biden administration for saying russia blew up their own pipeline, promotes hersh's article, and criticizes the liberal media for not following up on hersh's story!
https://twitter.com/GonzaloLira1968/status/1623679733669011460
the "US blew up the pipeline" trope has been debunked for over a year now

gradenko_2000 posted:

i hope seymour hersh is able to get his story out on the large cable news shows that are publicly sympathetic to his claim the us bombed the nordstream pipelines!
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1623511008210784257

there are a bunch of threads sympathetic to this style of posting (e.g. this, succ zone, asia, etc.) and threads hostile to it. those other threads would have hooted and hollered for a threadban and patted you on the back, but you chose this thread out of a deep misunderstanding and got the opposite response.

obviously i know what this is about. there's a group of posters that want a rigidly enforced echo chamber where even mild disagreements are punished. say taibbi is maybe not conservative? disagree that a woman who was doxxed doxxed themselves? punishment followed by a chorus of calls for a threadban. the same thing happened with the threadbans on talking about biden's rape allegations. the claim was people mostly only want to talk about these topics because they are "trolling" or "derailing". disagreement can't be sincere.

i haven't even posted in those other cspam threads for weeks now b/c such rigidly enforced echo chambers chase me and other posters away which is the point. if it really gives you and az such a headache [i doubt it] i'll continue to refrain from bothering them in the trump/icw/post-twitter-acquisition-musk/pyf threads as i've already almost entirely done so for years and years where it's not been an issue with some d&d mod with a grudge hounding me. i dont post in d&d for the same reasons.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sum posted:

Azov commander seems to contest the popular notion that Bakhmut is being defended by low-quality units

(from t.me/MaksymZhorin/4168, via tgsa)

scribblemaps is the most active i've seen since the northern counteroffensive

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

quote:

“The first aircraft of the Finnish Air Force, a Thulin Typ D reconnaissance aircraft, was donated by [Swedish count] Eric von Rosen in 1918,” the spokesperson explained.

“He had painted his personal symbol of luck, a blue swastika, on the wings of the aircraft.”

That symbol, the spokesperson said, then became “the national insignia of all Finnish Air Force aircraft from 1918 until 1945. As the symbol of the first aircraft of the Air Force, a swastika remains featured in Air Force unit flags.”

"yeah this rosenberg guy just happened to be a nazi, and this plane he donated, adorned with nazi symbols, really had nothing to do with the nazi ideology he supported"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the thread told you they don't want these rules.

you can talk about brie and tucker only as long as it's in a way you personally approve of? seems problematic.

what you probed me for was juxtaposing media coverage of seymour hersh's article and pointing out aaron mate's limited venues. it's legitimate media analysis and criticism.

can you honestly point to a single instance of why we need the rules in this thread specifically? show us.

i can do the opposite over and over to show your claimed concerns in this thread are imaginary as others have pointed out to you. people were actually riffing off what you said was a "troll":

there are a bunch of threads sympathetic to this style of posting (e.g. this, succ zone, asia, etc.) and threads hostile to it. those other threads would have hooted and hollered for a threadban and patted you on the back, but you chose this thread out of a deep misunderstanding and got the opposite response.

obviously i know what this is about. there's a group of posters that want a rigidly enforced echo chamber where even mild disagreements are punished. say taibbi is maybe not conservative? disagree that a woman who was doxxed doxxed themselves? punishment followed by a chorus of calls for a threadban. the same thing happened with the threadbans on talking about biden's rape allegations. the claim was people mostly only want to talk about these topics because they are "trolling" or "derailing". disagreement can't be sincere.

i haven't even posted in those other cspam threads for weeks now b/c such rigidly enforced echo chambers chase me and other posters away which is the point. if it really gives you and az such a headache [i doubt it] i'll continue to refrain from bothering them in the trump/icw/post-twitter-acquisition-musk/pyf threads as i've already almost entirely done so for years and years where it's not been an issue with some d&d mod with a grudge hounding me. i dont post in d&d for the same reasons.

I'm sorry, but there's definitely two sides to this. When you come in and post about Glenn and/or Tucker, we hear from people on the other side who don't want to have the same discussions about Glenn and Tucker and how they're right or better than libs over and over and how that's a damning indictment of libs, so I'm going to take you up on your offer to not post about it here.

I understand that you don't like this, but it really is the same basic reason the Glenn thread was made in the first place and the way people hate Glenn and freak out over him has a way of warping threads into being about that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
cbo, the reason why I probated you wasn't because you posted sources that I don't like or made arguments that I disagree with. It's because I've seen the way you troll other threads and try to make the discussion all about your favorite media figures. I don't want that for this thread, so please don't do it here.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I'm sorry, but there's definitely two sides to this. When you come in and post about Glenn and/or Tucker, we hear from people on the other side who don't want to have the same discussions about Glenn and Tucker and how they're right or better than libs over and over and how that's a damning indictment of libs, so I'm going to take you up on your offer to not post about it here.

I understand that you don't like this, but it really is the same basic reason the Glenn thread was made in the first place and the way people hate Glenn and freak out over him has a way of warping threads into being about that.
it's only particular threads and posters that have a problem with it. this thread, the succ zone, etc. have no problems with it which is why this thread just overwhelmingly told you the rules and moderation was stupid.

the exact same thread actions would have been jubilation in the icw and so on threads instead.

i'm reminded of another situation where a mod compared a poster to taintrunner, threadbanned them based on a personal grudge, then had the threadban quickly rescinded due to overwhelming outcry from the thread. seriously, contemplate and self-reflect. all these issues are completely avoidable. the posters don't want or need moderation like this.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Glennchat can be annoying but it doesn't come close to the pedantry some other posters engage in and I don't see why it needs to be pre-emptively stomped on. Anti-war and lib hypocrisy, this threads bread and butter, are the main appeal of Glenn anyway

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
cbo has the wmd

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Majorian posted:

cbo, the reason why I probated you wasn't because you posted sources that I don't like or made arguments that I disagree with. It's because I've seen the way you troll other threads and try to make the discussion all about your favorite media figures. I don't want that for this thread, so please don't do it here.
they were riffing on my commentary in this thread on the posts you found problematic. it's the exact opposite of what you are saying. listen to the loving thread jesus christ.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

it's only particular threads and posters that have a problem with it. this thread, the succ zone, etc. have no problems with it which is why this thread just overwhelmingly told you the rules and moderation was stupid.

The thread seemed to mainly be against the use of threadbans, not keeping Glennchat to a minimum here. Indeed, more than one poster said that they found your gimmick a little tiresome.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the exact same thread actions would have been jubilation in the icw and so on threads instead.

i'm reminded of another situation where a mod compared a poster to taintrunner, threadbanned them based on a personal grudge, then had the threadban quickly rescinded due to overwhelming outcry from the thread. seriously, contemplate and self-reflect. all these issues are completely avoidable. the posters don't want or need moderation like this.

There's plenty of places to discuss those figures, this thread doesn't need it and while I appreciate your commitment to the bit, I'm going to please ask you to take it to other threads so this one doesn't become Glenn focused.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

And yes to be clear, you're not threadbanned cbo, there's no threadbans, but there's way better things to discuss here than Glenn and Glenn's opinions on the war. Folks who want to discuss Glenn have a whole thread to do that.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

point to me literally one example in this entire thread or previous ukraine threads where it's been a problem. there are mountains and mountains of posts.

you won't find it b/c it's not an issue. as others have said, this looks like moderation by grudge.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

point to me literally one example in this entire thread or previous ukraine threads where it's been a problem. there are mountains and mountains of posts.

you won't find it b/c it's not an issue. as others have said, this looks like moderation by grudge.

The reason why it hasn't been a problem is because it hasn't been allowed. It's the same reason why inter-forums slapfights stopped being a problem after November: we stopped allowing them.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I certainly have no grudge against you cbo. I think we've always had a fairly positive back and forth. But I've seen Glenn chat just utterly derail thread after thread because he's such a divisive figure, and so keeping Glenn chat out of here seems like a very reasonable decision to prevent it from doing the same here. You're more than welcome to post here, but we're just asking you to keep the Glenn stuff specifically to the Glenn/Brie/Tucker specific threads.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sure az, but majorian said the threadban was motivated by a grudge.

you are not understanding the difference in thread cultures and not listening. this is obvious by rescinding the threadban almost immediately due to the overwhelmingly negative reaction.

how can my posts about tucker be a "troll" when people were riffing on it? people got exactly what i meant except apparently the people who dont understand the thread vibe tasked with moderating it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sure az, but majorian said the threadban was motivated by a grudge.

I said it was partially because I find your gimmick annoying, which, hey, is true. I'm not sure why that's such a problem; people find other people's gimmicks annoying all the time.

To be clear it's not like citing Glenn or Tucker or whoever else isn't allowed ITT. Of course it is, as long as it's pertinent. What isn't allowed is making this discussion all about them or trying to troll people into dumb fights about them.

quote:

how can my posts about tucker be a "troll" when people were riffing on it? people got exactly what i meant except apparently the people who dont understand the thread vibe tasked with moderating it.

People riff on trolls all the time; I don't understand your line of reasoning here.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Feb 11, 2023

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, the threadban was wrong and an overreaction, no argument there. Majorian got called out on it and, as he should have, backed down from that. However, I think he is right to keep Glenn chat out of the thread as a general rule, for the reason I just mentioned.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I promise you cbo doesn't troll when he posts this stuff, he cares deeply about issues regarding the state of journalism and media in our society.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Majorian posted:

What isn't allowed is making this discussion all about them or trying to troll people into dumb fights about them.
this didn't happen because people got exactly what i meant. you are insulting the people itt and treating them like morons.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
He doesn't trust the posters :-/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

this didn't happen because people got exactly what i meant. you are insulting the people itt and treating them like morons.

It didn't happen because I stopped the discussion before it started.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, the threadban was wrong and an overreaction, no argument there. Majorian got called out on it and, as he should have, backed down from that. However, I think he is right to keep Glenn chat out of the thread as a general rule, for the reason I just mentioned.
go make these dumb rules in ICW, musk, trump threads or whatever where they apparently need it. it's not needed here. if it was, you would be able to point to a single example.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Majorian posted:

It didn't happen because I stopped the discussion before it started.

probably a bad decision

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

probably a bad decision

Nah, I disagree. The threadbans were a bad decision, stopping the discussion wasn't.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i have no strong opinion on glennchat, but if a mod wants to stop it then it must have some merit to it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

go make these dumb rules in ICW, musk, trump threads or whatever where they apparently need it. it's not needed here. if it was, you would be able to point to a single example.

You don't get to make that call. If you don't like this thread's rules, I'm sorry to hear that, but there are other places you can post without being probated.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Jesus Christ I never thought I'd ever want to see FF's multi-paragraph essays on one of the most comically inept monarchies to ever exist but here I am.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

please president putin fire kalibr missiles at this conversation, obliterate it completely, my thread yearns for freedom

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

thank the lord we were protected from a thread derail, that would have sucked

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Majorian posted:

Nah, I disagree. The threadbans were a bad decision, stopping the discussion wasn't.

I think you're bad at interpreting posts and probably shouldnt be stopping discussion or probing/banning people on what you perceive their intent to be.

You probed me with a 6er because you imagined i meant something I didn't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

I think you're bad at interpreting posts and probably shouldnt be stopping discussion or probing/banning people on what you perceive their intent to be.

You probed me with a 6er because you imagined i meant something I didn't.

Well, i'm sorry I misunderstood your post then. I'll try to do better going forward.

In the meantime, let's end the meta discussion there, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The337th posted:

thank the lord we were protected from a thread derail, that would have sucked