Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So do you have to use something like cheat engine to edit a save or can you just go change a value in the saved game data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Found this from via google, but I've never used an online save editor before.

quote:

Octopath Traveler 2 Demo Time bypass on steam​

1- Create a backup from your steam savefiles.

2- Go to: save edit online (Save editor online)

3- Upload your save there (SaveData1_Trial.sav)

4- Write the word 'game' on the search camp and you will get your playtime.

5- Click on it and edit the number you got to a random negative number; Example: -25000

6- Download and replace.

7- Open your game and play.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah ended up getting it done earlier, works perfectly

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
That save editor seems to work and is probably easier, but I manually edited it and it wasn't that hard. There's not even a checksum to fix or anything.

Search for GamePlaySecond

What you need to edit is a 4 byte int (little endian). In my file it's at position 13D874h, but I'm not sure if it can move around so it's best to look for that string.

This is what it should look like, with the correct bytes highlighted:

You can change it to all 0s to reset the number giving you another 3 hours, or can give it a negative number of seconds to make sure you don't have to do it again later (though that does harmlessly glitch out the time display a bit).

It'll still show your previous time on the file load screen, but works once you load it.

Dunno why they bothered time limiting it, since you can't do the later chapters anyway.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It's probably because sickos like us would then be over levelled with the best gear and lots of job skills unlocked when the game isn't balanced around that. And they'd rather regular people not accidentally do that or burn out before they buy the game.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I wonder if it was just a mistake or if there's actually a way to get them, but in Partitio's Chapter 1 when you can first move around the town as a teenager the weapon/armor shop sellsan Aegis Shield for 18,000 and an weapon I forget the type/name of but they're only available from the shop when the town is thriving.

As much as I like having an Apothecary I think I'm going to replace Castti with Temenos because otherwise my party wouldn't have a way to bring townspeople with them. Hikari, Osvald, Temenos, and Throne. Party of Revenge just beating up every person they meet across the world for multiple reasons and because the Gods will it. Partitio's story is of revenge too, but I just don't care that much about the villain. He can join Agnea, Ochette, and Castti on the B team that's just doing their own thing.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I managed to find one of the secondary jobs on accident on my way to finding a dock to go to the other continent, anyone have info on some of the others? I found the inventor.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Shyfted One posted:

I wonder if it was just a mistake or if there's actually a way to get them, but in Partitio's Chapter 1 when you can first move around the town as a teenager the weapon/armor shop sellsan Aegis Shield for 18,000 and an weapon I forget the type/name of but they're only available from the shop when the town is thriving.

I'd personally read that as foreshadowing that the town might someday be revived (so that you can buy that shield as endgame gear!)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

unless other people used the Steam save exploit I doubt many will be getting anywhere close to secondary job poo poo in the demo lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

unless other people used the Steam save exploit I doubt many will be getting anywhere close to secondary job poo poo in the demo lol

Unless the save state exploit gives you the whole game absolutely not

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
No, I found the new job inventor in the Switch demo while roaming around with Ochette, it's not hard to find. Octopath 2 seems to be a lot less formulaic than 1.

They really improved the capture mechanic by the way. First, you have a companion that can always break a weapon point or an elemental point, so you never have the problem again that you can't break shields in a duel. Secondly most important, your captures have infinite uses (I always hesitated to use my monsters as H'aanit). Thirdly, there's a chance to automatically capture a monster upon defeating it (which you can toggle off or on). And last while the roster is still limited, you can always turn your monster into food which can be used for other things.

I was planning to start the full game with Castti, but Ochette is a really good character to roam the world and turn everything into snacks. She also has some strong skills as her latent powers which was hilarious as she had the inventor job. Snarling and mauling people to death while dressed in a top hat and a fancy coat had me laughing pretty good.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

GrimSqueaker posted:

No, I found the new job inventor in the Switch demo while roaming around with Ochette, it's not hard to find. Octopath 2 seems to be a lot less formulaic than 1.

They really improved the capture mechanic by the way. First, you have a companion that can always break a weapon point or an elemental point, so you never have the problem again that you can't break shields in a duel. Secondly most important, your captures have infinite uses (I always hesitated to use my monsters as H'aanit). Thirdly, there's a chance to automatically capture a monster upon defeating it (which you can toggle off or on). And last while the roster is still limited, you can always turn your monster into food which can be used for other things.

I was planning to start the full game with Castti, but Ochette is a really good character to roam the world and turn everything into snacks. She also has some strong skills as her latent powers which was hilarious as she had the inventor job. Snarling and mauling people to death while dressed in a top hat and a fancy coat had me laughing pretty good.

Yup I also got that new job by just walking around with Osvald, I was super surprised.

And I agree that they improved the capture mechanics a lot. I'm torn between picking Ochette and Temenos for party leader in the main game, just cause I love the capture mechanics. As much as I liked H'aanit in the first game, the capturing mechanics just felt so cumbersome with the Provoke path action. I do also enjoy that Ochette has some of H'aanit's lines too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the demo not just the full game with a time gate?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Harlock posted:

Is the demo not just the full game with a time gate?

You're also blocked from moving too far from the starting areas.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chose Temenos as the starter and expected a fairly stock cleric character, very pleased at what a sassy rulebending detective he turns out to be

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shyfted One posted:

As much as I like having an Apothecary I think I'm going to replace Castti with Temenos because otherwise my party wouldn't have a way to bring townspeople with them. Hikari, Osvald, Temenos, and Throne. Party of Revenge just beating up every person they meet across the world for multiple reasons and because the Gods will it. Partitio's story is of revenge too, but I just don't care that much about the villain. He can join Agnea, Ochette, and Castti on the B team that's just doing their own thing.

Partitio does not actually seem interested in revenge.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Combo posted:

I managed to find one of the secondary jobs on accident on my way to finding a dock to go to the other continent, anyone have info on some of the others? I found the inventor.

The other secret jobs are apparently not in the starting areas. Someone datamined them though, so we have an idea of how they'll mesh with the others.

In fact, I think Osvald and Partitio are probably gonna be top picks for the Shaman job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Review embargo is up, game good.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Review embargo is up, game good.

game very good
https://opencritic.com/game/13900/octopath-traveler-ii

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I saw someone mention that you can access some of the hidden classes in the demo, is there a list of the locations?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is basically the first but better. It still has sone of the same flaws (stories feel disconnected from cast) but I like the overall cast more and found the world more fun to explore.

Also Ochette is *loving broken* to an absurd degree.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I saw someone mention that you can access some of the hidden classes in the demo, is there a list of the locations?

One is near one of the starting towns, New Delsa, the other three are later game areas.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im probably in the minority but the anthology style of the stories and relatively sparse connections between the characters never bothered me, I always liked how it's 8 different narratives. I realize it'd be tough to make poo poo interweave more when you are actively choosing which story to progress anytime and with what party so, eh. I haven't heard much in the reviews about what exactly the new party interactive quests entail though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

im probably in the minority but the anthology style of the stories and relatively sparse connections between the characters never bothered me, I always liked how it's 8 different narratives. I realize it'd be tough to make poo poo interweave more when you are actively choosing which story to progress anytime and with what party so, eh. I haven't heard much in the reviews about what exactly the new party interactive quests entail though

They basically are teamups between two characters for small related quests. They usually involve trips to optional dungeons and have small rewards but are more connected to the overarching story than individual ones.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't mind that the characters have completely separate quests, my beef with the first game is it felt like the other characters never had anything to say, even like emotionally supportive comments or jokes. I don't need the characters to have the same goals, but I'd like them to be friends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I don't mind that the characters have completely separate quests, my beef with the first game is it felt like the other characters never had anything to say, even like emotionally supportive comments or jokes. I don't need the characters to have the same goals, but I'd like them to be friends.

The game absolutely does. The party chat tends to be more reactive to current events and characters form friendships and bonds. Castti is the group mom, Throne and Tenemos has a theif and detective thing and so on.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The game absolutely does. The party chat tends to be more reactive to current events and characters form friendships and bonds. Castti is the group mom, Throne and Tenemos has a theif and detective thing and so on.

that's a great improvement over the first one. My real complaint with the interactions that sometimes happened in the first game was that there was no warning about when you'd get those conversations to activate in the place where you swap party members, and people rightfully complained that sometimes you might even miss them due to timeframes for them activating being kind of wonky.

From the demo I like the character set in this one moreso then the previous. I barely remember the apothecary, healer, or merchant characters from Octopath 1 but already I love how they turned the healer into a slightly snooty Sherlock who kind of abuses his church powers, and the merchant is a slick 1920s sweet talker. Not sure about the others but I already love the samurai warrior's aesthetic more than the previous swordman. I'm hoping Caasti is an interesting character, too.

I'll miss ye olde arrow flyen true H'annit but making the hunter class a nonhuman beastgirl is a fun change.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For the first game I'd just finish a chapter and then look up that chapter's party interactions on Youtube. Worked for me but obviously finicky and extraneous, I'm looking forward to the smoother access to party interactions in this game.

DLC Inc posted:

I'll miss ye olde arrow flyen true H'annit but making the hunter class a nonhuman beastgirl is a fun change.

I am very amused that the Hunter went from cat girl to catgirl.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

that's a great improvement over the first one. My real complaint with the interactions that sometimes happened in the first game was that there was no warning about when you'd get those conversations to activate in the place where you swap party members, and people rightfully complained that sometimes you might even miss them due to timeframes for them activating being kind of wonky.

From the demo I like the character set in this one moreso then the previous. I barely remember the apothecary, healer, or merchant characters from Octopath 1 but already I love how they turned the healer into a slightly snooty Sherlock who kind of abuses his church powers, and the merchant is a slick 1920s sweet talker. Not sure about the others but I already love the samurai warrior's aesthetic more than the previous swordman. I'm hoping Caasti is an interesting character, too.

If you miss a discussion you can look them up in the journal after

I like Castti a lot but she is very much defined as being an unstoppable unflinching force of raw mom energy.

I'd say she is the best person in the game but Partitio is I believe video game's only example of someone whose goal is to make money for entirely selfless and noble purposes and he loving owns.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 17, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So what is the deal with this game really. Never played the first one so I have no idea. Are you expected to play through the game 8 times with each protagonist? Or once you pick up other characters do you sort of do their routes as well? Played the demo as Castii and picked up Hikari and when I did it asked me if I wanted to play Hikari's chapter 1, which I did, but was thinking I maybe should have left it for when I do Hikari's route, and thematically from Castiis perspective she wouldnt immediately know everything about this dude right from the start. Right???

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
You do everyone's routes interleaved, starting chapters corresponding to any character in your party as you please, was how the first one worked.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fridge corn posted:

thematically from Castiis perspective she wouldnt immediately know everything about this dude right from the start. Right???

Yeah but the player isn't Castii, the player is just the player. Castii isn't like seeing the flashback

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

So what is the deal with this game really. Never played the first one so I have no idea. Are you expected to play through the game 8 times with each protagonist? Or once you pick up other characters do you sort of do their routes as well? Played the demo as Castii and picked up Hikari and when I did it asked me if I wanted to play Hikari's chapter 1, which I did, but was thinking I maybe should have left it for when I do Hikari's route, and thematically from Castiis perspective she wouldnt immediately know everything about this dude right from the start. Right???

You do all 8 in one run. The first one you pick is your protagonist who can't be removed from the party until you finish their main story and has a few slightly different cutscenes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Yeah but the player isn't Castii, the player is just the player. Castii isn't like seeing the flashback

True but I wasnt sure if by picking Castii as my starting character that I would be doing only Castii's route and that other characters might come and go, or by teaming up with Hikari that I would now also be doing Hikari's route as well in the same playthrough. If it was the former I would make more sense to me to do Hikari's chapter 1 when I select him as the starting character, otherwise in the latter's case it makes sense to do the chapter 1 of recruited characters.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You do all 8 in one run. The first one you pick is your protagonist who can't be removed from the party until you finish their main story and has a few slightly different cutscenes.

Ahh okay, this answers my question perfectly thanks

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ImpAtom posted:

Ah so your lead still can't leave?

Interesting, I'm probably going to do my full party split again, where I get two parties of Battery/Debuffer/Healer/DPS and go through the full set of their stories before switching to the other one again.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
That's what I'm doing as well. I thought about doing a continent split, but ended up going East Continent with Ochette replaced with Hikari. Would have had less path action overlap if I only went East though, but I still can't decide what animal companion to give Ochette.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Eagerly awaiting Mega64's LP of OTII

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generally if you are unsure who to start with Ochette or Hikari are your best choices. Both of them, *especially* Ochette, can fill any role the party needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Generally if you are unsure who to start with Ochette or Hikari are your best choices. Both of them, *especially* Ochette, can fill any role the party needs.

I started with Osvald, got Temenos and Throne, and then went across continent and picked up Hikari. Kinda wish I had started with him first, he's awesome. Love his story so far, his abilities, etc. He doesn't feel super useless/weak like Olberic did early on.