Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cursive is ugly and dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Russian cursive, on the other hand, is loving insane.

https://twitter.com/beanerbastard/status/1287103691154231298

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Russian cursive, on the other hand, is loving insane.

Yep. Gothic/German is basically the midpoint between Italian and Russian on the scale of legible to entirely identical cursive letter forms go

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

If you think cursive is dumb, try learning a classic German shorthand:

Before stenotype, for millennia there was shorthand to make your hand quick enough to transcribe speech. If you were a writer, you learned a shorthand just to make personal notes as quickly as possible - added bonus was that as your shorthand evolved, it became nigh impossible for an outsider to take a peek at thoughts. Tbf it's not meant to be legible by anyone but the writer themself, and perhaps their secretary who has gotten used enough to their bullshit to be able to transcribe it and type it out for them. I know historians who do archive work and basically decipher the shorthand (this one is called Gabelsberger) of dead German authors for a living. This means that if you want to read someone's personal notes now for research purposes, you have to spend months and even years getting comfortable enough with someone's thinking and writing to be able to confidently spell out all the little shortcuts they took to quicken their hand and to be able to read all the personal ciphers they used. Scholarship in the humanities can get pretty insane at times.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Cursive is ugly and dumb

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cursive is ugly and dumb

Here’s something up your alley

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

barbecue at the folks posted:

If you think cursive is dumb, try learning a classic German shorthand:

I hope I will never have to. I have enough of this poo poo already lol

barbecue at the folks posted:

This means that if you want to read someone's personal notes now for research purposes, you have to spend months and even years getting comfortable enough with someone's thinking and writing to be able to confidently spell out all the little shortcuts they took to quicken their hand and to be able to read all the personal ciphers they used. Scholarship in the humanities can get pretty insane at times.

At least Gabelsberger was still kind of based on letters and shapes. There was a copyist/scribe in the Copenhagen probate court in the 1840s who wrote in a weird presumably homespun shorthand: Carl Frederik Mohr, that piece of poo poo. Even the veterans of the Danish Genealogical Society will need days or weeks to decipher his bullshit. I'm almost sure he was just making motions with his hand to engage his long term memory so he could recite whatever he heard if asked later.

This is one of more legible ones, but when the signatures of random witnesses are more legible than the body of the text, you're in trouble:

e: also it strikes me that his hand is actually looks closer to Einheitskurzschrift (1924) than Gabelsberger (1834)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Feb 10, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grassy Knowles posted:

I would rather read in this style forever than have learned cursive

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Invictus posted:

I would rather read in this style forever than have learned cursive

i dont understand preferring not to have learnt a skill (even if its practically useless). i had a lot of incredibly lovely teachers but i dont think it ever rubbed off on the thing the lovely fuckheads tried to teach

the things i learned or didnt learn are separate from the garbage persons who hosed up the art of teaching

im probably lucky that i compartmentalized or something

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Grassy Knowles posted:

That is some serious dysgraphia.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Carthag Tuek posted:

i dont understand preferring not to have learnt a skill (even if its practically useless). i had a lot of incredibly lovely teachers but i dont think it ever rubbed off on the thing the lovely fuckheads tried to teach

the things i learned or didnt learn are separate from the garbage persons who hosed up the art of teaching

im probably lucky that i compartmentalized or something
It was a waste of time that could have been used to learn something far more useful. the teachers were fine, I learned it fine, but I never used it outside of school and forgot it all years ago.

I get that you're a fan of it judging by your prior posts, but I'm not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Invictus posted:

It was a waste of time that could have been used to learn something far more useful. the teachers were fine, I learned it fine, but I never used it outside of school and forgot it all years ago.

I get that you're a fan of it judging by your prior posts, but I'm not.

counterpoint: i got the option to take some hours out of the weekly schedule and use them for what i wanted instead of using them for whatever society wanted, or used to want idk. the danish state church has a coming of age ritual, basically like catholic first communion. when i went to school, the whole year before that is set aside for preparation (two hours every week, learning about the bible and such). my parents said i should check it out before i said no so i went a couple times but after that i just slept in and wasted the time

but i would also have wasted the time if i did went, so its basically a wash see?

also i think thats a really good post, no judging on that one. please dont judge me on my prior posting, i am blind drunk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wasn't necessarily criticizing your enjoyment of it, and your post about the wild-rear end ways people write was cool. I just would rather have spent the amount of time spent in elementary school learning cursive doing or learning literally anything else, is all. use the time spent on that on a language class that might've allowed me to keep the fledgling chinese I learned as a kindergartner going, instead of having that evaporate into nothing super quick the moment I moved into a grade that didn't have a language class. something useful like that. It was wild talking to my mom later on in life and hearing how I could actually hold a pretty decent conversation in chinese when I was really young because I guess little kids are language sponges or some poo poo, but since it wasn't kept up, it all just fell right out of my head.

also, hello drunk buddy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

god i wish we could keep that child language brain. i only retained 3 words from my grandpa's faroese. i understand it when i hear it and i can read it, but i can pretty much only say 3 words: "no, not candy"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The FUNNY FORUM QUOTES thread, ladies and gentlemen. Now with 99% fewer funny forums quotes.

The 1% is what I'm posting here:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

There's a lot of hosed up and weird people, on this comedy forum website, who do not ever post jokes, do not enjoy jokes or indeed even laughing, and have coined a derogatory term for people who make jokes. They're all missionaries drawn here by the allure of the fertile lands of videos of a severely asthmatic man playing Megaman games, and interesting philosophical quandries posted by the fake PTSD guy about the nature of doors and windows in Dungeons and Dragons. They are wise men here to educate a savage, uneducated, indigenous sort. It is a sonorous, musical form of education; a greasy collective amasses on the front line of the battle against social injustice, the video game subforum on a message board that has a drop down menu that makes light of the holocaust on every single page, and sings a shrill harmony that permeates the very aether, making my pets feel unsafe, when a video game muscle man calls Catwoman a bitch. They have picked their battles well, and I note from my foxhole that I am running out of ammunition, chiefly in the form of the increasingly finite number of ways I can frame this absurd situation with the English language. I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the poo poo out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Cursive is ugly and dumb

stop looking at your monitor through a funhouse mirror

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The FUNNY FORUM QUOTES thread, ladies and gentlemen. Now with 99% fewer funny forums quotes.

The 1% is what I'm posting here:

art. pure art.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ugh you call that a joke? What a mangler

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Cup Runneth Over posted:

quote:

I played Stockfish (white) against ChatGPT (black)
Wow yeah GPT is a real intelligence alright

TDepressionEarl posted:

stockfish isn't trying to follow a game with a chronological move order like us humans are.

stockfish is a chess engine that finds and calculates the best move in a position you give it. stockfish is blissfully unaware of how pieces got to where they are, stockfish only knows where they should go from here. stockfish brazenly pushes the king into the center in an endgame where it has no pieces left because that is the best move, drat your human timidity and biases.

chatgpt eats crayons.

Al! posted:

how to teach chatgot to use a chess buttplug

TDepressionEarl posted:

ah thats where the dark square bishop went

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:mcrappe: A picture perfect example of a butthurt baby who can't take criticism and, against the rules, closes his thread so the mean people can't say hurtful things anymore. :mcrappe:

Colikar posted:

I had just arrived home when to my surprise a monkey had climbed into my window and was sitting on my couch. Now before any crazy ideas can be put forth as to my local I live in a northern latitude urban environment, a place not known for its monkeys. It was a small monkey with a long tail and black fur. I was equally surprised when it stood up, as proper as any beast could, and asked, "When do you plan on preparing our evening meal?"

"Of course!" I replied, "What a terrible host I've been." I immediately began preparing a meal of pancakes.

"You've met my mother?" the monkey asked as it followed me into the kitchen with a slightly akimbo elegance.

"Your mother?! But I've only just seen you for the first time moments ago and monkeys are not common things. As for our meal I am making banana pancakes with orange zest and a lite vanilla syrup."

"Let me begin with my mother. You have undoubtedly met her before, everyone has."

"I will not tell you again I have not! But if you please that picture there, above the table, is my own mother." The monkey looked over the photograph unimpressed as if it was some classroom photo taken in elementary school. Finally speaking up, "Did she love you? My mother always seems to put others to shame in that respect."

I growled deep in my throat in an inadvertent display of disgust at the question. "The meal is ready. Sit down and we shall eat," I said taking the food to the table and pouring glasses of water for the both of us.

The plates and silver clinked as we ate and they were the only sounds to be heard; we at in silence. I then cleared the table and poured us both a glass of port. With my digestion properly on course I asked about the monkey's mother.

"Oh surely you have met her. She seems to know of everybody, even you Wayne."

At this I was taken back for no introduction had been made. "You assume to know me? In my own house you insult me!" I jumped up form the table throwing my glass to the floor. "Monkey you will regret coming here!" I shouted into the black face of that monkey. The monkey jumped onto my chest and began tearing at my throat and making the most horrid shrieks that have come from any living creature, man or beast. I could feel the rip of flesh and the hot stream of blood course down my body.

"Your punishment has been decreed. My mother judged and I punished."

I laid on the floor feeling my blood drain out of my body into a large black pool on the floor next to me. The monkey climbed once more through the window leaving behind only a bloody trail of prints.

It was gone and I lay dying on the floor.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Colikar posted:

I do not want a critique or a response. I really do not care what your opinion is I just wanted to share my scribble. If this little bit of wasted time and space has angered you so much, and has defiled this so holy of forums because there is no point then simply ignore it.

Colikar posted:

If someone would have actually critiqued the writing or written a response to the writing that would be something new not yet posted on this thread. So far every post has only questioned the validity of making a thread. Even when I offered such activities as finishing the story only only questions about why the thread exists were posed and no response to the writing was generated. So you tell me if this is such a waste of time why do you waste you time posting without anything except complaints about how much of a waste of time this is? I did not realize that I had to explain such simple concepts in a forum meant for creative extrapolation.

So if you need guidance:
1. Finish the story
2. The story was written in a very Kafka style give a response
3. Critique the style of writing

I did not post this necessarily in order to get any of these points, and in all true honesty I thought a few hundred people my read it and then it would slide off the front page and not be seen again. However now that you demand reason I have given three so do what you will.

malkman posted:

With Colicker dead, the Creative Convention subforum was free to express and expose its hatred of his sub-par imagination, his lackadaisical writing skills, and overall terrible existence.

The monkey and malkman then went to ride huffy bikes to the malt shop.

I didn't even read this carefully enough to spell your name right :haw:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Clark Nova posted:

I’m disappointed that Throne of the Five Winds does not appear to be a fantasy novel about a magic toilet

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

EorayMel posted:

:mcrappe: A picture perfect example of a butthurt baby who can't take criticism and, against the rules, closes his thread so the mean people can't say hurtful things anymore. :mcrappe:

I don't have archives to see the post but their previous ban was for being racist. :thunk:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Empty quoted:

quote:

Black people!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

in a GBS thread titled "Oprah is giving you free KFC"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Michael J. Fox's grocery list

I'm sorry

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Michael J. Fox's grocery list

I'm sorry

Its fine, he'll shake it off.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I have Parkinson's and nothing beats watching the realization dawn on someone's face whenever they unconsciously say "What's shakin'?" as their primary greeting.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

malkman posted:

I didn't even read this carefully enough to spell your name right 

I use a variation of this whenever we're talking poo poo at work, "I'm going to misspell your name in my suicide note."

Do not be alarmed; I'm active duty US military, so joking about killing myself is a form of self-care. My chief got so fed up with how frequently and casually it came up that we had to start speaking in code like "going to Applebee's."

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I have Parkinson's and nothing beats watching the realization dawn on someone's face whenever they unconsciously say "What's shakin'?" as their primary greeting.

At least you'll always have an answer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm going to misspell your name on your Applebee's application reference letter.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:dukedoge: Worthless poster making worthless posts. Also you've been here less than a year and already have 2 bans and 4 probations. :dukedoge:

fanny packin heat posted:

You had best un-gently caress yourself before I un-screw your head and poo poo down your neck.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man looking at kelsey grammer's kid is weird

That DICK! posted:

dont write your headlines

Also this made me guffaw out loud even though I'm not really sure why

Dip Viscous posted:

Shampoo and conditioner aren't two different variants of the same thing. They both lead to wet hair so I never gave it thought.

flavor.flv posted:

Wait, are you putting them on dry before rinsing your hair? Because if so there's a second thing you are figuring out today

Brawnfire posted:

It says "for extremely dry hair" right on the bottle!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

EorayMel posted:

:dukedoge: Worthless poster making worthless posts. Also you've been here less than a year and already have 2 bans and 4 probations. :dukedoge:

people sure were madder about probes back then.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Weatherman posted:

how is bbby formed

how guy get bnakruptt

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

canyoneer posted:

my forbidden love

my haram bae

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chewbecca posted:

I wanna find the isolated enclave of SA posters who, to this day, have no idea lowtax offed himself :catstare:

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Somewhere there is a forgotten sub-forum, isolated from the rest of SA. The atavistic members post like it is 2004, still wearing their jorts and “I can haz cheeseburger?” T-shirts, oblivious to the wider internet.

These poor natives have never built up immunity to 2020’s posting. One day, conquistadors from FYAD will find them and these delicate throwbacks will be wiped out by exposure to Star Citizen and NFTs.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

oldpainless posted:

Sometimes I like to wake up early and sometimes I like to sleep late.

I hope I haven’t offended anyone with my controversial opinion.

oldpainless posted:

Mods please probate me for three days in penance

Just like Christ

OwlFancier posted:

What time will you be rising on the third day?

wakka wakka posted:

When both the big hand and the little hand have holes in them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ariong posted:

Anderson Cooper at bat. He’s looking confident, especially since Rogan’s screwball has caused him a lot of trouble this election cycle. Here comes the pitch! Big hit!!! Cooper’s off like a shot as the ball goes sailing into the circle of trust. He’s around the hill as Gray scoops up the ball and throws it into tox-OH!!! HASAN FUMBLES THE BALL AS COOPER ROUNDS THE TIMES! The toxics are scrambling for the ball now as Cooper approaches Fox, but they can’t seem to get-oh, Pool throws to first as Cooper approaches home and-SAFE! It’s an unearned run for the mainstream media! Oh my lord! Do not go on Twitter tonight, folks!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Von Nukem: I'm here to suck rear end and kill myself, and I'm all out of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

A guy who I guess tweeted funny stuff died and was also a transphobe and other bad things that I won't go into

Just unfollowed that guy. Thanks for the heads up goons.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I don't think he's going to be posting much more, but good on you for unfollowing

Not making the same mistake I made with Herman Cain thank you.