Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

A bit I loved at the end of Dread was when Raven Beak, after putting up a ridiculously tough fight against Samus unlike any other opponent in the series, lasts less than 5 seconds out in the open before being killed by an X parasite.

To be fair at that point he's basically on death's door because Samus went full-Metroid and drained him and his ship off virtually everything, not that it would've made much of a difference.

Also, I think the X that kills him is supposed to be Kraid is it not? If you revisit Kraid's boss room any time after the X breaks free from containment you can see that final claw he shot out is gone, much like how the Experiment vanishes from Dairon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

To be fair at that point he's basically on death's door because Samus went full-Metroid and drained him and his ship off virtually everything, not that it would've made much of a difference.
The X parasites are instant death for any living being that isn't named Samus or Metroid, so it's pretty funny that a guy talking a big game gets wrecked the second he steps out into the open.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Also, I think the X that kills him is supposed to be Kraid is it not? If you revisit Kraid's boss room any time after the X breaks free from containment you can see that final claw he shot out is gone, much like how the Experiment vanishes from Dairon.
Yep, that's a Kraid X parasite!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

If I recall (Dread spoilers obv) isn’t the parasite that gets Raven Beak a mixture of a few different bosses in the game? Like it kept jumping from creature to creature until it turns into that abomination. But is still mostly Kraid. I could be totally off because I haven’t played it since the first month or so it was out.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
man it's loving nuts how good Dread is

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I keep thinking the dead engine would make for a pretty solid super remaster.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for Dread 2.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

As much as I want Prime 2 and 3 remasters (and we'll probably get them), I would trade them in a heartbeat for Super and Fusion in Dread's engine.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Imagining all the intolerable nerd screeching if a remake of Super Metroid came out and you could no longer infinitely wall jump.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bleck posted:

Imagining all the intolerable nerd screeching if a remake of Super Metroid came out and you could no longer infinitely wall jump.

Correctly

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

As long as they add some other cool sequence breaks and sequence breaks, I don't really care if certain things aren't maintained. Like I doubt any remake is ever going to be 1:1 even if they maintain all the tech - there's always gonna be someone who prefers the old one - so they just gotta make a remake that has it's own value.

I'm just hungry for more 2D Metroid.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I appreciate that the Dread team let almost each and every single discovered sequence break rock unless it did poo poo like trap people in rooms or end saves if done incorrectly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

One of the things I liked about Dread's bosses is that the intro or phase cutscenes show off the weak point of the boss in surprisingly subtle ways, or at least as subtle as you can be when you are trying to signal to the player "Shoot this, stupid"
My issue was never that I didn't know how to beat them. It's that even after knowing, I'd need to lose anywhere from 1 to 10 times (depending on the boss) before I could memorize their patterns to avoid enough damage to make it happen.

That disconnects me from Samus in a big bad way, which was already happening with the EMMIs. She didn't die fifteen times before she could laser the fucker in the face, so when I have to do it, I'm having a fundamentally different experience than the main character.

In, say, Super Metroid, if I die on a boss, it's because I hosed up. And since I don't have to repeat the process over and over and over and over and over again, those parts of the game don't "count" to the narrative I'm experiencing. They're blips, easily forgotten.

But when you design encounters and bosses around the idea that the player should lose until they've lost enough times to get the pattern down, that's something else entirely.

Apologies, because this is a very clumsy way of describing a very complex ludonarrative mechanism and if one were to read it uncharitably, you'd think I just don't like losing.

But the best example I can think of here is from two games that have very little story at all: Megaman 1 and Megaman 2:

In Megaman 1, when you lose, it's often because the game is punishing you for having not played it a bunch. There are pits you'll jump where the obstacle that'll smack into you mid-jump, sending you into the pit to die, can't be seen. You have to have lost there once. So the next life, you get past it only for it to happen at the next horseshit.

In Megaman 2, Capcom largely fixed this. When you die in Megaman 2, it always feels like it's your fault and not some game developer's. You are given all the training you need.

So when you marry this phenomenon to a narrative that in no way supports it, it can separate a lot of players from the main character. Much like showing me a cutscene of Samus being a badass or getting her rear end handed to her instead of allowing me to experience those things myself. But that could be its own whole effortpost.

I don't mind a game where you lose a lot one tiny bit. There's nothing wrong with Super Meat Boy. I just don't want Metroid to be that kind of game from now on, and don't enjoy Dark Souls-style boss encounters. So thankfully, the new Metroid devs improved upon this quite a bit in Dread and if they continue tweaking, I think they'll get to the sweet spot.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Losing to a boss in Dread in absolutely your own fault and not the game expecting you to die a ton before you can win, it's the same as Super Metroid in that regard the game just isn't nearly 30 years old and so the bosses are a tad more complicated and don't die in five super missiles (looking at you Kraid).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raven Beak is a get good boss, but he's the only real case of that in the game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t even remember any boss outside the very last boss being difficult. Though that kind of applies to all the Metroid bosses outside those in prime 2 that were already talked about

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

No Dignity posted:

Raven Beak is a get good boss, but he's the only real case of that in the game

He's not even a particularly "hard" boss - he's a boss that wants you to remember that Samus has a fuckton of mobility now and to use it. Once you do, he becomes a joke.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think Dread's bosses are largely meaner than most Metroid bosses but more forgiving than, say, Hollow Knight's bosses, and even Hollow Knight's bosses are very beatable without a bunch of practice runs. I am not bragging about how good I am, I ate poo poo plenty on Hollow Knight (and even a few of Dread's bosses) but there's nothing fundamentally unfair about either of them. Dread isn't even particularly mean with e.g. fake-out tells, although it does sprinkle some in.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Going through OG Metroid 2 on Switch, and I do have a bit of history with it.

My parents got it used for me and I was a bit reluctant to play it, but when I did I found that it was really good. I mean, the moment when you see a Metroid sheading its skin into an Alpha Metroid was a classic. Still though, I was a dumb kid, and after much failing around in the first area looking for that drat Spider Ball, even with Nintendo Power guides (Like I said, dumb kid), and gave up.

Now I am past the second area, even after playing the DS and SR388 remakes, I still find that it punches well above its weight if you are willing to engage with it. There is even a bit humor in the game! Like when you get the Varia suit: (Why am I spoiling a 30 year old game?) You go into the Chozo statue room, but nothing is there. But then you discover a back room full of those item orbs and the one containing the Varia suit is literally buried in there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

In Megaman 2, Capcom largely fixed this.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I was sort of fine with the pointer style control scheme, I was worried I might devalue the experience of the game by making it too easy with twin sticks vs the original intended challenge.
Then I got to the wasp infested poison lake platform on a loving incline.
Throw that poo poo into the trash.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Hot tip for the totem/wasp boss: Stand on the very back of the platform, away from the totem. The wasps never charge and you can just take your time picking them off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought Dread's bosses were particularly tough compared to earlier entries - and it just generally felt like energy tanks didn't do as much for you as they did in older games. Raven Beak in particular was a boss that very much did not allow you to power through - a lot of bosses were like that, but I remember Raven Beak in particular bringing me to real "I need to take a break" levels of frustration on my first go around.

That said, I feel like Dread's boss design lends to a feeling of mastery that I didn't really get from previous entries. Going through on hard and defeating Raven Beak in much fewer attempts, with less energy tanks felt immensely satisfying.

Though, thinking back there's definitely a few bosses in the older games that gave me hard times - I remember as a kid, being stuck on the spider from fusion for awhile - it didn't help that the save room was further away then in most circumstances.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Prime Remastered is so good, just played like two hours tonight. This is the platonic ideal of a rerelease, it looks incredible, all new assets/textures/lighting that still feel exactly like the original instead of changing the art style. Plays so smooth, 60fps no slowdown. Controls are great with a bunch of different options depending if you want to play it like it was on release or with a few different modern methods. I'm so happy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

Prime Remastered is so good, just played like two hours tonight. This is the platonic ideal of a rerelease, it looks incredible, all new assets/textures/lighting that still feel exactly like the original instead of changing the art style. Plays so smooth, 60fps no slowdown. Controls are great with a bunch of different options depending if you want to play it like it was on release or with a few different modern methods. I'm so happy.
gently caress. Yes. Good to hear. I'm gonna' wait until Fall, 'cause that's when the original came out and I have a weird brain, but this is extremely good to hear.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
fusion's bosses are harder and far more annoying than dread's

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I seriously hate how you can't post about something being difficult without people lining up to tell you big their dick is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think Metroid has ever been the series that you can do that in

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

LividLiquid posted:

I seriously hate how you can't post about something being difficult without people lining up to tell you big their dick is.

I actually find this pretty frustrating. Your experience of difficulty is different to everyone else's and that's okay.

I think in almost any game there's going to be a dissonance between how a character is portrayed and how you as a player play them.

In dread for example I died to Kraid 3 times before I got it right, but Samus walks out the fight like a massive badass as if it took no effort.

Ultimately that dissonance is something I feel that you just have to set aside. Nobody on their first run is going to match the ideal version of Samus. It's not a good answer but the alternative would be making Samus essentially invincible or lowering difficulty a lot, which has its own problems.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

quote:

My issue was never that I didn't know how to beat them. It's that even after knowing, I'd need to lose anywhere from 1 to 10 times (depending on the boss) before I could memorize their patterns to avoid enough damage to make it happen.

That disconnects me from Samus in a big bad way, which was already happening with the EMMIs. She didn't die fifteen times before she could laser the fucker in the face, so when I have to do it, I'm having a fundamentally different experience than the main character.

In, say, Super Metroid, if I die on a boss, it's because I hosed up. And since I don't have to repeat the process over and over and over and over and over again, those parts of the game don't "count" to the narrative I'm experiencing. They're blips, easily forgotten.
I don't think you can really post something like "I think this was a worse design" and not expect people to offer countering viewpoints, particularly on the subject of finding one game harder then another.

To some degree, Dread was supposed to be a bit of a de-powerment fantasy. The EMMIs were supposed to be very scary and deadly and Samus is supposed to be barely defeating them, particularly early on. That disconnect of loving up a bunch is not entirely unintentional.

I also think about dying in Super Metroid on Mother Brain, and I remember it feeling less like I hosed up and more that I just couldn't mash missiles out fast enough or I was 1px too close to the stupid donut attack so I fell in the acid and...

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You should play Dark Souls op, dying over and over is explicitly part of the game's story

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I think the issue with some of the EMMI encounters and harder boss fights is it really can feel like a game of trial and error. Games like Hollow Knight and Dark Souls have dying be part of the narrative, so you aren't "taken out" of the experience when you retry. But Samus obstensively isn't being murdered over and over within the narrative. Seeing that robot spike repeatedly go into your chest just feels silly after awhile.

Of course, it's a video game and that's how they've always been. As graphics have gotten more realistic, the inherit gaminess becomes more apparent. I love Dread's harder boss fights but I do feel like a couple EMMI encounters require you to fail a few times before you can really solve them. But I'm also bad at video games.

In other news, I just beat Prime Remaster! What a great game. The only games in the series I'd put above it are Dread and Super. Here's hoping we get those other remakes (and Prime 4) sooner rather than later.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

The cutscenes of Samus being cool as gently caress were absolutely necessary after Other M.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought a lot of Dread's bosses had a really fun level of difficulty. It felt like Sekiro, where the fights start out feeling physically impossible, and after enough practice you can do them entirely by instinct.

That loving underwater boss though. It took me forever just to work out what I was supposed to be doing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was told to post here.

I plugged in my SNES Classic and started Super Metroid for the first time last night. Been thinking about it since. It’s so mysterious. The atmosphere and world building is really cool. Controls and mechanics feels really tight, responsive but still physical with weight behind the movement. The sound design and music, drat!!!

I’m always worried when I start an old game that it will be frustrating and lack QoL features I’m spoiled by but this game feels like it could come out today and feel great.

Tentative plan is to beat this and then move on to my first playthrough of Metroid Prime :D

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was told to post here.

I plugged in my SNES Classic and started Super Metroid for the first time last night. Been thinking about it since. It’s so mysterious. The atmosphere and world building is really cool. Controls and mechanics feels really tight, responsive but still physical with weight behind the movement. The sound design and music, drat!!!

I’m always worried when I start an old game that it will be frustrating and lack QoL features I’m spoiled by but this game feels like it could come out today and feel great.

Tentative plan is to beat this and then move on to my first playthrough of Metroid Prime :D

You're doing it right, friend :cheers:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

metroid is based

i'm digging into the original nes game though and it's pretty easy to get lost with all the room layout reuse. i enjoy the weirdly isolating mood it sets but i can see why this game was ripe for a redo with zero mission. i'm gonna stick with it though! just gotta find that ice beam.....

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was told to post here.

There is a reason Super Metroid is considered one of the greatest games ever. It's so loving good. It's the type of game I can play over and over and never get tired of because I'm always finding new things.

I've never 100% that game and I'm totally fine with that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yup, there was a discussion about Metroid development in the ROM hacking thread the other day and if you go reading interviews about the old Metroid team, part of the reason there was such a drought of Metroid games was that absolutely nobody was confident they could follow Super Metroid's act (including Sakamoto.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

The cutscenes of Samus being cool as gently caress were absolutely necessary after Other M.

Yeah, trivially easy gameplay where you get wrecked in cutscenes is so much worse than cutscenes showing an impossibly high standard of skill to live up to