Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Parts availability was one of the things killing Triumph in the mid-70’s, but that was partially because they were making significant changes every year and the bikes right before the workers coop took over had massive warranty claims.

The EVO has been a stable platform for ages and (at least as far as I know) there hasn’t been a model year with huge problems right before they stopped making them that’s eating up the spare parts market.

With all the independent metal shops, the ease with which fabricators can share schematics these days, and the emphasis on shared parts for the past 30 years or whatever, I don’t think you’ll see the same kinds of parts shortages folks used to see.

I could be full of poo poo, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slide Hammer posted:

But, ronayers.com has them. So, I don't know if Ron Ayers is special, or what.

I’m fairly certain the big names like ronayers buy up the leftover stock from the oem’s and things like that

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

Baby z900rs would kick rear end

actually scrap that, what I really want is a version of the zxr900 body kit to fit the zx4rr

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Why haven’t any of the big Japanese manufacturers produced an electric bike yet? Are they working on it? What’s taking so long?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
They are focusing on electric scooters in the asian market.

Not sure if the honda models are actually out yet, but there is a lot of info out both for a pxe electric and a model called em1
https://www.e-scooter.co/honda-pcx-electric/
https://global.honda/innovation/technology/motorcycle/ecology/item-pcx-ev.html

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/honda-em1-e-scooter-2023/

some domestic yamaha models
https://www.e-scooter.co/#yamaha

Supradog fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 10, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unlike *ahem*, other manufacturers, the big Japanese brands, Honda especially, have a reputation for world-class quality to protect and arent just going to rush something to market. A big (read: not 50cc scooter sized) electric bike takes a ton of engineering to make well.

I wouldnt put it past Kawasaki to just shove some insane 500hp electric bike out onto the market though, as they do.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Japan as a whole is behind the curve on the EV train so it's not necessarily a huge surprise. Toyota still inexplicably thinks hydrogen cars are going to be a thing for some reason

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Toyotas not wrong that they should be a thing, but they probably wont be

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Toyotas not wrong that they should be a thing, but they probably wont be

Nah. Nobody actually makes the clean hydrogen that they're promising you, it's all from O&G and it's being held up by that industry because it lets them utilize their existing infrastructure. That whole industry's value is paying dividends so they can't invest in anything else so they're dead in the water if they can't pivot to hydrogen (which they rightfully should be)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah hydrogen is at it's core a vaporware scam it turns out

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unlike *ahem*, other manufacturers, the big Japanese brands, Honda especially, have a reputation for world-class quality to protect and arent just going to rush something to market. A big (read: not 50cc scooter sized) electric bike takes a ton of engineering to make well.

I wouldnt put it past Kawasaki to just shove some insane 500hp electric bike out onto the market though, as they do.

Kawasaki did trot out prototypes for a hybrid and a 125cc-equivalent electric last summer

italian quid posted:

Nah. Nobody actually makes the clean hydrogen that they're promising you, it's all from O&G and it's being held up by that industry because it lets them utilize their existing infrastructure. That whole industry's value is paying dividends so they can't invest in anything else so they're dead in the water if they can't pivot to hydrogen (which they rightfully should be)

I mean plastics are still a great engineering material

But the history of technology is littered with great engineering materials that in retrospect we had no business touching.

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 10, 2023

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unlike *ahem*, other manufacturers, the big Japanese brands, Honda especially, have a reputation for world-class quality to protect and arent just going to rush something to market.

I'm assuming your *ahem* refers to a collection of small electric bike manufacturers? Sure, I've heard some of those were shitshows, some being total vaporware. I'm not trying to diminish the effort required. But what about HD, who, for all their faults, had prototypes of the LiveWire available for test rides in 2014, entered production in 2018, and were making deliveries in 2019. As far as I can tell from my armchair, the LiveWire is a working motorcycle that people enjoy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Japanese manufacturers are going hard on hydrogen for the same reason the Europeans did on diesel in decades past. That is the direction their government has indicated their preference for, are developing infrastructure for. It doesn't matter if the US or Europe don't have much intention to develop hydrogen infrastructure, they'll keep building hybrids to sell to you. They've got many millions of cars to replace domestically with hydrogen powered ones, so that's what they're going to develop. The lack of demand for (and poor quality of) consumer diesel in North America and Japan didn't stop BMW or VW from selling cars there, they just didn't prioritize selling their diesels there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epswing posted:

I'm assuming your *ahem* refers to a collection of small electric bike manufacturers? Sure, I've heard some of those were shitshows, some being total vaporware. I'm not trying to diminish the effort required. But what about HD, who, for all their faults, had prototypes of the LiveWire available for test rides in 2014, entered production in 2018, and were making deliveries in 2019. As far as I can tell from my armchair, the LiveWire is a working motorcycle that people enjoy.

My ahem was actually more directed at noted non-motorcycle-making company, Tesla, who for the last like 5 years has been consistently getting dunked on for quality issues that other manufacturers solved during the great depression.

My beef with the livewire is mainly a fear that it will get Buell'ed by Harley, who has already relegated it to its own brand. The bike itself seems fine from everything I see. Harley was smart to jump on that early and leverage their engineering team to make something good.

italian quid posted:

The politics of the oil and gas industry aside, I mean from a purely chemical perspective. Hydrogen burns to make water.

There is also of course the issue of carting around a high pressure container of Hydrogen, but thats probably a secondary concern to adoption.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 10, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How you make the hydrogen is the issue afaik

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The politics of the oil and gas industry aside, I mean from a purely chemical perspective. Hydrogen burns to make water.

There is also of course the issue of carting around a high pressure container of Hydrogen, but thats probably a secondary concern to adoption.

Almost all the hydrogen you're turning to water comes from natural gas and coal lol

It's a pointless argument anyways because the labour input to build an EV is significantly less than an ICE car. VW's CEO said it took them 40 man hours to build an ICE car, 20-30 to build a EV and he thought they could get that down to 10 if they built a factory for assembling EVs from the ground up instead of adapting an existing one. The ICE is going to be killed off out of sheer economics for the automakers before anything else.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i hear the sun is literally made of hydrogen. let's send a spaceship to go pick it up

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i hear the sun is literally made of hydrogen. let's send a spaceship to go pick it up

I know you know this but you can do the same thing with Jupiter at a third the delta-v cost

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I think we should strip-mine the moon for delicious, profitable cheese first

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Phy posted:

I know you know this but you can do the same thing with Jupiter at a third the delta-v cost

I’m on team Sun until a movie about Jupiter owns as hard as Sunshine.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

I’m on team Sun until a movie about Jupiter owns as hard as Sunshine.

I was going to be like 2001 :colbert: but I can't do so in good faith as jupiter barely matters to the plot, that's more of a 2010 thing

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 11, 2023

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Phy posted:

Kawasaki did trot out prototypes for a hybrid and a 125cc-equivalent electric last summer

They are due to be released this year.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

This is a serious conversation, please don’t be dumb.

Obviously you’d use a big space straw to siphon it out instead of sending expensive rockets

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What if we burned the sun's hydrogen in situ, then used an array of pervoskite cells on earth to convert its light output to electricity, then used that electricity to split water molecules apart, then containerized the hydrogen portion and shipped it to facilities where you could put it in a personal use storage tank with an attached engine, and burned that hydrogen in that engine to do work? It's basically the same thing, only with many, many additional steps. And if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's the more middlemen the better.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Beautiful day today so I did a 22 mile ride with the Monkey. First one since buying the VStrom in October.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I will never stop being amused by that bike

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

I will never stop being amused by that bike

Same

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i think its horn should be a clown horn

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I disagree, I think it should be the loudest possible hauuuga type

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You should only be allowed to ride those if you weigh at least 600lbs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is the one acceptable use case for those 800db train horns that bros put on their lifted brodozers

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
https://www.gogoro.com/news/electric-scooter-sales-2022/

I didn't know e-scooters was that big in taiwan.
"The Gogoro Network supports more than 524,000 riders and has more than 1.1 million smart batteries in circulation through its network of 12,200 battery swapping GoStations at over 2,504 locations. With more than 390,000 daily battery swaps and more than 370 million total battery swaps to date"

Supradog fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 13, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hats off to the rider on the silver Ninja I saw out yesterday (6°C, sunny) and this morning (-2°C)

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
So in continuing the theme of my life of making questionable decisions I bought a ‘22 390 Adventure. Been enjoying it so far. Will report when something breaks so Slavvy can laugh at orange bike bad.

On a different note, my new job continues to be awesome and I’ve never been so happy to take a pay cut.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

katka posted:

On a different note, my new job continues to be awesome and I’ve never been so happy to take a pay cut.
:hellyeah: You moved over into working on bikes and doing bike prep stuff for something like a motorcycle track club right? Did it end up being a lot of hands on maintenance work?

I want to live vicariously through others, I sit and stare at screens for my job. It pays the bills and funds weekend motorcycle stuff though so I probably won't make a move anytime soon.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

:hellyeah: You moved over into working on bikes and doing bike prep stuff for something like a motorcycle track club right? Did it end up being a lot of hands on maintenance work?

I want to live vicariously through others, I sit and stare at screens for my job. It pays the bills and funds weekend motorcycle stuff though so I probably won't make a move anytime soon.

Yup, I work for the BMW US Rider Academy at the performance center in South Carolina. I do some maintenance work but it’s mostly simple stuff like changing tires or fairings and levers. Anything that is more involved our master tech handles.

I also set up for the different classes and follow them around in a support role. Fixing bikes out in the field and stuff like that. Also act as a cheerleader for the students and help out the instructors. This is probably the most fun part of the job.

When I’m not doing that I’m maintaining trails, painting marks for the on road classes and various other logistical things.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That's great to hear! Sounds like a rad job.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That sounds dope af

katka
Apr 18, 2008

It’s been a hell of a change going from a soul crushing factory job that made me miserable to actually enjoying going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

katka posted:

It’s been a hell of a change going from a soul crushing factory job that made me miserable to actually enjoying going to work.

Yeah it’s nuts when that transition happens. I’ve loved my job for like 7 years straight now. I’m moving on to another company for even better QoL later this year, stoked.