Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Stultus Maximus posted:

And target anything more specific than a time zone? Not really.
I thought the initial balloon was alleged to be snooping on missile silos—did it just happen to get lucky in the jet stream to achieve the overflight? Posting out of my rear end (as usual), but couldn't you just slap a propeller on it to fine tune the course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you put a propeller on it it’s not a balloon anymore it’s a dirigible.

But you’d need a heckuva prop to move something around in the jet stream, I think.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

I thought the initial balloon was alleged to be snooping on missile silos—did it just happen to get lucky in the jet stream to achieve the overflight? Posting out of my rear end (as usual), but couldn't you just slap a propeller on it to fine tune the course?

Then it's a blimp.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

Highly likely the Chinese had some balloons and random drone-like loitering surveillance in the air for a long time. Our systems are probably set up to find fast-moving poo poo (jetliners, missiles) instead, then the Chinese lost control of their balloon. NORAD people were probably like "uh... why the gently caress didn't we see that", tuned their filters, and started finding slow, car-sized poo poo that was probably around for a while. And it's not exactly in China's interest to suddenly pull back their previously-undetected poo poo.

Plus Joe's making a very clear statement

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Stultus Maximus posted:

Then it's a blimp.
Don't bring my mother into this :mad:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
i still find it funny that we're more upset about balloons then we ever were officially upset about with USS Liberty

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nevermind about Montana!

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1624593417878528001?t=TF0HkaSqxMsRGdUmEBbZWQ&s=19

This is probably why NORAD didn't have their sensor thingies on the super-sensitive settings to begin with!

brains
May 12, 2004

turning a big dial that says "Balloon Filter" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

brains posted:

turning a big dial that says "Balloon Filter" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

unironically exactly what seems to have happened

facialimpediment posted:

Nevermind about Montana!

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1624593417878528001?t=TF0HkaSqxMsRGdUmEBbZWQ&s=19

This is probably why NORAD didn't have their sensor thingies on the super-sensitive settings to begin with!

yeah, stuff is set up to ignore things that are not aircraft because "whoops that was swamp gas or a massive fart or a flock of migratory birds" etc. Opening the sensors up because congress got pissed about a balloon is going to lead to a lot of wasted intercepts.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 12, 2023

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1624603115457597441?t=M2TsiG8IZlOsKdnAUAg9lg&s=19

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

What’s the cost of sending up a few F22s and the missiles(s) they fire compared to the balloons?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What’s the cost of sending up a few F22s and the missiles(s) they fire compared to the balloons?

the balloon cost is "how much does a mylar envelope and a canister of helium cost?", as they will float at around 60,000 feet with no other effort required.

The F-22 is holy shitfuckingballs more expensive per hour.

The big thing is whoever is floating the balloons is figuring out exactly how sensitive the detection systems that NORAD has are.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

And it's not exactly in China's interest to suddenly pull back their previously-undetected poo poo.

Wait why wouldn’t it be in China’s interest to stop using them if they are being regularly shot down, especially after air defenses are tuned to find them? Seems pointless to keep violating airspace if they aren’t getting useful data, and would continue to increase tensions and not make China look great.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably significant number figure but just a rounding error to the DoD.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I just want to die as a grizzled old man in the intergalactic space war!

I'll take either Starship Troopers or Randy Quaid ID4.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bulletsponge13 posted:

A weekend of UFO shoot downs was not on my 2023 Bingo card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wait why wouldn’t it be in China’s interest to stop using them if they are being regularly shot down, especially after air defenses are tuned to find them? Seems pointless to keep violating airspace if they aren’t getting useful data, and would continue to increase tensions and not make China look great.

China can continue to figure out our general response times, what kind of poo poo we scramble/try to shoot down their stuff with (and if it works), and most importantly, the poo poo they have in the air that we still can't detect. Lots of intel value in all of that. Plus, Biden was making noises that all of this was being done without President Xi's knowledge, so it could be superhardliners that really want to increase the tensions in the first place. Really not about looking great at this point.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
This is a false flag by the MIC to build a new aerial radar array or somesuch high expense boondogle. I can't imagine learning US response times is worth the smoke that would come from launching a bunch of balloons into US airspace.

I wasn't aware that the US flew missions over Canada, however. Do we have some kind of standing joint defense resolution or something like that?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NORAD

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

China can continue to figure out our general response times, what kind of poo poo we scramble/try to shoot down their stuff with (and if it works), and most importantly, the poo poo they have in the air that we still can't detect. Lots of intel value in all of that. Plus, Biden was making noises that all of this was being done without President Xi's knowledge, so it could be superhardliners that really want to increase the tensions in the first place. Really not about looking great at this point.

I agree it is generating useful intelligence, but is also a very hostile act that is getting a lot of the US population and political establishment fearful and irritated which could lead to meaningful damage to China, far beyond the value of air defense data could be worth. I’d understand if the flights weren’t being detected, and I’m sure we are doing something similar, but Gary Powers being busted made the US lose a lot more face than the Soviets did.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I wasn't aware that the US flew missions over Canada, however. Do we have some kind of standing joint defense resolution or something like that?

Yeah, Canadian airspace is part of NORAD as Canadian NORAD Region (CANR). Makes sense as any serious intrusion especially during the Cold War would likely be aimed at the US and it would be strongly in Canada’s interest to help, especially as they’d get the benefit of the world’s largest military budget for their national defense. Like why they don’t need a nuclear program and can have a relatively small Navy despite having the world’s longest coastline.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, Canadian airspace is part of NORAD as Canadian NORAD Region (CANR). Makes sense as any serious intrusion especially during the Cold War would likely be aimed at the US and it would be strongly in Canada’s interest to help, especially as they’d get the benefit of the world’s largest military budget for their national defense. Like why they don’t need a nuclear program and can have a relatively small Navy despite having the world’s longest coastline.

And it gave us a good Rush song Distant Early Warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDj5XvZXX4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant_Early_Warning_Line

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably under $10k for the balloon, and 95% of that going to whatever sensors it's carrying. You can get smaller surplus military/NOAA weather balloons for around $100, the most expensive component would probably be a satcom modem.

Comedy option is it's all running off a Xiaomi Pro 13 in a pelican case and it just uploads whenever it gets a cell signal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I agree it is generating useful intelligence, but is also a very hostile act that is getting a lot of the US population and political establishment fearful and irritated which could lead to meaningful damage to China, far beyond the value of air defense data could be worth. I’d understand if the flights weren’t being detected, and I’m sure we are doing something similar, but Gary Powers being busted made the US lose a lot more face than the Soviets did.

Well the US literally said they’d shoot down the Russian bombers over our southern airspace if we didn’t join, and that’s where everyone live.

As for the size of the navy, that’s more of a budget thing. Nobody has a navy the size of the US’s, coastline or not, because nobody spends that much on defence.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

But you’d need a heckuva prop to move something around in the jet stream, I think.

dirigibles have a rigid structure to which lighter than air floatation devices are attached. Think the Graf Zeppelin. A balloon that gets its shape from surface tension (like most balloons) that has some means of propulsion is a blimp.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

Well the US literally said they’d shoot down the Russian bombers over our southern airspace if we didn’t join, and that’s where everyone live.

#obey

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Jet stream isn’t that high. At 60,000 feet plus, air currents are comparatively docile and slow.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turkey-earthquakes-building-contractors-arrested/

Normally, I'd be all about this. This screams "Turkey moves to cover up massive corruption and fraud scheme."

e: In summary, Turkey rounded up 130 contractors for imprisonment in the wake of the earthquake within six days of it occurring.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 12, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I kinda feel like Turkey makes decisions on coin flips.

At least they're not arresting seismologists and geologists, like Italy did a decade and change ago.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I kinda feel like Turkey makes decisions on coin flips.

At least they're not arresting seismologists and geologists, like Italy did a decade and change ago.

I was about to bring up the Italy thing too

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I feel like it's part of the validation behind the acceptability of racism against Italians in recent years. Or at least a close second behind the influence it's had on New Joisey. It's almost like they want all the old Polish jokes to become about themselves.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I feel like it's part of the validation behind the acceptability of racism against Italians in recent years. Or at least a close second behind the influence it's had on New Joisey. It's almost like they want all the old Polish jokes to become about themselves.

It has made more waves outside of Italy than Italy itself, people stopped taking/caring about it in country three months afterwards.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Rightfully so, though. What geologist or seismologist would even bother considering moving to Italy after that? It's like jailing firemen for fire existing.

Not even the firemen, the dispatch officer that takes the call.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
WTF, wrong thread

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That sounds hosed up! Was it a case of morons in charge somehow thinking that the only reason disasters happened was that the seismologists and geologists weren't doing their jobs, like night watchman asleep at their desks while robbers freely come & go?

(Cause that's kinda how dumbshits think about things like IT security)

E: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/italian-scientists-get/

They were eventually acquitted/conviction overturned, after a judge originally sentenced them to six years each for manslaughter.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 12, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Iirc something like the seismologists failed to warn them about the earthquake. Like that's a thing in Italy.

It's only really a "thing" in Japan, and only in certain areas, with a very expensive field of sensors, and even then you might have a few minutes at best. And the japanese aren't charging scientists over random acts of nature.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Rightfully so, though. What geologist or seismologist would even bother considering moving to Italy after that? It's like jailing firemen for fire existing.

Not even the firemen, the dispatch officer that takes the call.

The people involved in that lawsuit were the ones that signed(here is a hint from a Italian public servant, never sign any document in any official capacity unless you have insurance to cover whatever damages will incur if you gently caress up) the certifications for the protezione civile(think a shittier FEMA) risk assessment. At the time the protezione civile boss (Bertolaso) was pretty much considered a saint so anything that would have made them look bad was to be destroyed. Seismologist and the like has always been the first people to be thrown under the bus but rarely in official form like Aquila, even in disasters like Vajont the geologists didn't catch as much flak as in 2012.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It wasn't a lawsuit, they were criminally charged and convicted of manslaughter.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

McNally posted:

It wasn't a lawsuit, they were criminally charged and convicted of manslaughter.

Yeah, we use the equivalent word for lawsuit for both civil and penal charges proceedings in Italian, sorry if I miswrote.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 12, 2023

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

(here is a hint from a Italian public servant, never sign any document in any official capacity unless you have insurance to cover whatever damages will incur if you gently caress up

Don't do this in the US either. You sort of take it for granted as a junior guy, because most of the time its your boss's boss that's signing that stuff and they get insurance under the corporate umbrella. The company I started off at offered that umbrella to all employees with the caveat that you couldn't have a side hustle using your seal. Once out of that company I realized that was very much not industry standard. I sealed some minor things for the first time recently and, while fun as a novelty, I will be getting professional liability insurance in the future if I find myself in that situation again.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 12, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SlowBloke posted:

Yeah, we use the equivalent word for lawsuit for both civil and penal charges proceedings in Italian, sorry if I miswrote.

Ah, gotcha. In American English, a lawsuit is a civil action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

Ah, gotcha. In American English, a lawsuit is a civil action.

Which begs the question, what is the American English term for penal charges? "Criminal charges brought" is what I came up with after a few minutes of thought. AP is probably the best arbiter of this.