Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dredgen Kilroy was here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

the traveler cracks open and there's a dopefish on the inside of the shell

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

arsenicCatnip posted:

:hmmyes:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Mazerunner posted:

like, if you take Uldren's thoughts from the 'Forsaken Prince' lorebook, and compare them to some of the poo poo Rhulk or the Witness says, or is in other lorebooks like unveiling/books of sorrow, or check out the completely overlooked Book of Unmaking/For Every Rose, A Thorn/Nothing Ends trilogy, you realize that Uldren was on the path to becoming a Disciple of the Witness, but he biffed it.

It wasnt so much that Uldren biffed it, but he was completely manipulated by Savathun. Perhaps he was on that path and Savathun hosed it up intentionally as a means of weakening the Witness!

Jetamo posted:

I honestly predict we'll get a Witch Queen follow up season this year, like we did with Plunder and Eramis, and Seraph and Clovis.

Maybe follow up on what's happening with Immaru, and Savathun's body - maybe a plot point to do with Fikrul, as that was a dangling thread as well IIRC.

Well, we know that Luke Smith wants an Avengers moment, so we need to resolve a few things. We need to resolve Eramis and bring her into the fold, resolve Savathun because Imaru being free is the biggest checkov gun right now. We probably need an "Empire Strikes Back" moment that makes everything look bleak, and then bam, The Final Shape's avengers moment.

Also, we need to die somewhere in here. That's also waiting.

Dedicate a season to those 4 things and you've got your Y6 content cycle.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Still curious if Final Shape will have four $10 seasons in its aftermath because the great big plot beats always happen during the annual expo, and it might be weird for the story to end 10 months after the final shape in a match made 6 man activity to control plates

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Still curious if Final Shape will have four $10 seasons in its aftermath because the great big plot beats always happen during the annual expo, and it might be weird for the story to end 10 months after the final shape in a match made 6 man activity to control plates

games a billion dollar franchise. Sony didn't buy bungle to sunset d2, they bought it for another 10 years of a billion dollars a year. To think this corporation will do literally anything else but make billions of dollars every year is insanity.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does controlling the plates let you turn a boss into a gun? :colbert:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure they've said numerous times that Final Shape is not the end, just the end of the big "light and dark" story, so whatever seasons/content that follows will be a mixture of the fallout of the main conflict/dealing with aftermath, and segueing in to the next story arc/threat. I'm assuming the Vex presence on Neomuna will help to start building up a secondary conflict that won't resolve with Final Shape.

That said, there's going to be a whole bunch of people that will be very upset when we punch the Witness to death in the campaign rather then the raid.

Smoove
Aug 13, 2012

...and goes down easy

arsenicCatnip posted:

I still want a raid CP where instead of a bossfight we have to fight 6 souped-up hive guardians, who put down a rally banner on the opposite side of the map when you do

Or a fight with mirror images of the guardians, same spec abilities/subclass/weapons. Seems like I’ve done that in a few games before and would be a nightmare to code properly.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RocketRaygun posted:

It wasnt so much that Uldren biffed it, but he was completely manipulated by Savathun. Perhaps he was on that path and Savathun hosed it up intentionally as a means of weakening the Witness!

yeah I had that thought. Uldren was supposed to let go of his attachments, his 'chains' and thus become Free, but Riven gave him the image of Mara to focus on, and she was working with/for Sav, and then the big meatball ate him.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

That said, there's going to be a whole bunch of people that will be very upset when we punch the Witness to death in the campaign rather then the raid.

They got around that in Taken King by having you punch him to death in the campaign and the raid!

I'll be amazed if they stick the landing

Not skeptical, or optimistic, just curious

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

arsenicCatnip posted:

Yes. YES.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Uldren is Jesus.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What? No. The planetary grinds are not a Me Problem, it's just their design template

You're inventing a quest and getting mad at it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Traveler is just the universes biggest Jaw Breaker.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Said gently caress it today and finally got it done. Still my favorite dungeon. Did Pit solo before, not flawless because the totem encounter killed me. Grasp is such a slog, not looking forward to it, saving it for last. Duality is doable and that Spire final boss might be a problem. Maybe will cook up a Grand Overture build for that.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RBX posted:

Said gently caress it today and finally got it done. Still my favorite dungeon. Did Pit solo before, not flawless because the totem encounter killed me. Grasp is such a slog, not looking forward to it, saving it for last. Duality is doable and that Spire final boss might be a problem. Maybe will cook up a Grand Overture build for that.

important with Grasp is that getting 10 treasures refills your abilities- lets you use them for faster clears or for an emergency button.

congrats and good luck

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I could see the 4 seasons of the Final Shape cycle being the prologue to what comes after light and darkness while the Final Shape campaign is where we dome the Witness, think that's the cleanest way to do it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

important with Grasp is that getting 10 treasures refills your abilities- lets you use them for faster clears or for an emergency button.

congrats and good luck

The slog is the servitor encounter, the sparrow part, and the final bosses HP.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*the final boss’s minions’ HP

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

Well, we know that Luke Smith wants an Avengers moment,
Luke Smith hasn't had any say over the game for a while now, and it's the best thing that's ever happened to the franchise.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I haven't done a single dungeon and barring getting dragged through them probably never will lmao

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

i want do do all the dungeons (and raids etc.) but am always too lazy to get a group together despite my presence on multiple goon discords

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Roman posted:

i want do do all the dungeons (and raids etc.) but am always too lazy to get a group together despite my presence on multiple goon discords

I always ultimately talk myself out of putting up an LFG for content I don't know at all. I did DSC a few weeks back and like half the group was learning it for the first time and the entire time I was wracked with anxiety just thinking "oh god I'm the problem oh god I'm the problem" every time we wiped.

"Need 2 for [dungeon], also you're gonna have to teach me everything and we'll probably wipe a bunch" fills me with great shame

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

I always ultimately talk myself out of putting up an LFG for content I don't know at all. I did DSC a few weeks back and like half the group was learning it for the first time and the entire time I was wracked with anxiety just thinking "oh god I'm the problem oh god I'm the problem" every time we wiped.

"Need 2 for [dungeon], also you're gonna have to teach me everything and we'll probably wipe a bunch" fills me with great shame

Stop worrying about it

Destiny is full of extremely nice weirdos who love to teach people stuff

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Despite buying the passes, I have done neither of this year's dungeons. Which is weird because I got myself into a regular routine of doing shat, prophecy and grasp for the pinnacles. Tried pit, but have never been able to get past the point capture bit. Really enjoyed prophecy & grasp as well.

I'm saying this because if I can do those three, you (the goon reading this) can too! Grasp's sparrow section is annoying if you don't have the busted sparrow but apart from that, it's all pretty doable.

I think I just held off duality because it was broken, and then left it so long it mentally became A Whole Thing (and the warlock armour looks like poo poo), and then never did spire for similar reasons (can't be arsed to learn it plus jumping puzzle mid way through).

I feel like I've also spent a lot of time grinding out seasonal bullshit, but there's definitely been something about this year's efforts that has just been really off-putting for casuals who might be tempted to dip their toe.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, there's plenty of people in overchill who are pretty happy to teach dungeons. Duality actually works surprisingly well with 2 people who know what they're doing and a third.

I do feel like Duality and Spire feel like a step up in terms of difficulty of previous dungeons - Duality has a lot of time pressure that makes it a little less chill, and Spire has some beefy bosses and high add counts that make encounters 2 and 3 feel almost relentless at times.

As for raids, the "im the weak link" feeling goes away once you got a clear or two under your belt. "I dont want to do the important role in case I gently caress it up" becomes "I'll do the important role because it's more fun then add clear" (or "someone else might mess it up")

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Stop worrying about it

Destiny is full of extremely nice weirdos who love to teach people stuff

I can't emphasize this enough

there's nothing a destiny vet gives less of a poo poo about than dying

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
"Luke Smith wants an Avengers moment" is a sentence that gives me food poisoning

Anyways

https://twitter.com/joegoroth/status/1624788802853302272?s=20

Post-it note reads "Tomorrow (2/13) - 5,300 words - Lightfall and the year ahead"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ponzicar posted:

You're inventing a quest and getting mad at it.

Nope. Sorry to be confusing you like this, I'll try explaining again

Shadowkeep, Beyond Light, and Witch Queen all had a tedious list of post-campaign things to do on their new planets to pad out the gameplay hours, and by the end of them most players were mighty sick of the new planets, even if they were still loving destiny! It was such a universal opinion that they even had to tone down some of the requirements, often pretty significantly

You might hear players say things like, "the stasis unlocks were a nightmare!" or "I still don't have the exotic glaive" which are relating to the thing I'm talking about.

So NeoPets Island might be a cool new planet, but odds are good that by the end of the post campaign, most players will be ready to say goodbye to it.

I hope that makes more sense!

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

victrix posted:

They got around that in Taken King by having you punch him to death in the campaign and the raid!

I'll be amazed if they stick the landing

Not skeptical, or optimistic, just curious

It's a difficult landing to stick.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Another thing about Dungeons is that they were all designed to be easily and flawlessly cleared by one single player. Being the second or third player on a fire team will just make it easier! Nothing to worry about at all as far as being a deadweight dungeon gamer

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Another thing about Dungeons is that they were all designed to be easily and flawlessly cleared by one single player. Being the second or third player on a fire team will just make it easier! Nothing to worry about at all as far as being a deadweight dungeon gamer

This is extremely true, when I lfg a dungeon I know in about 3 seconds whether I’m a spare body or I’m gonna have to do the lifting. And either way it’s fun.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You might hear players say things like, "the stasis unlocks were a nightmare!" or "I still don't have the exotic glaive" which are relating to the thing I'm talking about.

I still refuse to do that absolutely bullshit quest line to unlock stasis on my alts. I also still don’t have the exotic glaive.

I play this game weekly, sometimes daily.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

if anyone here wants id be happy to do a Sherpa run of DSC sometime. Its my fave raid and I guarantee I've completed every encounter with worse teammates than anyone in this thread would be

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Corrupted GM is kicking my rear end. It doesn't help that the vast majority of lfg teams want to no-mic it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paracelsus posted:

Corrupted GM is kicking my rear end. It doesn't help that the vast majority of lfg teams want to no-mic it.

It's a bitch of a GM because it's either REALLY easy (knowing how to do the elevator, ogre twins, and one-phase boss) or it's some of the hardest content in the entire game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I dunno about "easily", you still have to deal with health pools and add numbers meant for 2 additional players and unless you have an absolutely perfect build and execution you will be spending a lot of cycles on each boss (at least in grasp, duality and spire, the older ones have fallen so behind the power creep that this is less of an issue)

That said, yes, it's absolutely easy and fun to jump into random groups and do dungeons, even without a mic. The mechanical complexity is more than a strike but much less than a raid, if you're the sort of player who knows things like "throw balls at each other to power them up in The Corrupted" you can easily learn and handle a dungeon.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

[ASK] me about taking four newbies at the same time through Vow of the Disciple.

It was fine. It took a couple of hours, but we got it done and everyone was patient and understanding of each other's learning curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Luke Smith hasn't had any say over the game for a while now, and it's the best thing that's ever happened to the franchise.

my man he's the franchise and story director. having big ideas like "lets do an avengers moment" and setting the team to define what it means is entirely his job.