Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Whether people like it or not, expect spatial audio to be a marketing thing all the audio company’s throw at us.

Sonos is rolling out a whole replacement of their base to medium speakers and the rumors say it’ll be focused around spatial audio and whatever. I’m a super big Sonos fan, have a speaker on every room and tv , but lol I’m not upgrading any of them just for something like that (I’ve debated the sound bar but keep going eh).

I don’t know if I’ve used any spatial audio yet (I don’t think I have) but I’m not that big of an audio file. Im just happy with solid speakers , and a sound bar + subwoofer for the tv specifically (I have a basic surround sound setup but even that isn’t make or break IMO).

Btw, as I type this, I would assume spatial is a bigger deal for headphones than speakers?

Spatial audio, output as Dolby Atmos into a discrete 5.1 system is pretty awesome. Faking it in speakers is just as bad as faking it in headphones. :allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Whether people like it or not, expect spatial audio to be a marketing thing all the audio company’s throw at us.

Sonos is rolling out a whole replacement of their base to medium speakers and the rumors say it’ll be focused around spatial audio and whatever. I’m a super big Sonos fan, have a speaker on every room and tv , but lol I’m not upgrading any of them just for something like that (I’ve debated the sound bar but keep going eh).

I don’t know if I’ve used any spatial audio yet (I don’t think I have) but I’m not that big of an audio file. Im just happy with solid speakers , and a sound bar + subwoofer for the tv specifically (I have a basic surround sound setup but even that isn’t make or break IMO).

Btw, as I type this, I would assume spatial is a bigger deal for headphones than speakers?

I have a Sonos Arc + Rear Ones + Sub Mini. I'll be replacing the rear One's with whatever spatial speakers they release on day 1, and move the Ones to the other room that could use a speaker upgrade.

Spatial audio sounds cool to me when I'm watching movies in Atmos. You can certainly tell what audio is being sent to the upward facing speakers. Thor Ragnarok is a great example.

Absolute Zeroes posted:

Spatial audio, output as Dolby Atmos into a discrete 5.1 system is pretty awesome. Faking it in speakers is just as bad as faking it in headphones. :allbuttons:

Audiophiles are the worst.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 11, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

I have a Sonos Arc + Rear Ones + Sub Mini. I'll be replacing the rear One's with whatever spatial speakers they release on day 1, and move the Ones to the other room that could use a speaker upgrade.

Spatial audio sounds cool to me when I'm watching movies in Atmos. You can certainly tell what audio is being sent to the upward facing speakers. Thor Ragnarok is a great example.

I have the OG Sound bar, big sub woofer (gen 1) and of course also 1’s for the back two.

If you get it and remember to, please feel free to post your review / thoughts , I would be super curious.

I know the Arc in its own makes a difference , just hasn’t been in my budget since the OG sound bar is still very good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Corb3t posted:

I've got some colored rocks they can put on their interconnects for an even clearer sound. $2500 USD

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The gimmick of turning your head away from the phone and having the sound turn with you is fun at first. Then you move the phone anywhere at all while holding it and the immersion is immediately ruined.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Question Mark Mound posted:

The gimmick of turning your head away from the phone and having the sound turn with you is fun at first. Then you move the phone anywhere at all while holding it and the immersion is immediately ruined.

right this is the common refrain I hear, but like for me, even when I first heard it, I felt no real benefit. I already knew with modern sensors phones and Apple audio devices had very good understanding of where the devices are in space. Why is tying this to audio cues something I even want? Ok the audio sounded like it came from the phone, and shifted with my head, so what?

Dunno why focus groups suggested this was a worthwhile manufactured need, do consumers even want it? I wish more companies would direct poll customers for their input in new features, I don't see very much of that at all in industry and I know why, but still.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I was all excited because I thought I had the same setup and didn't realize it had spatial audio but it turns out we have the Sonos Beam which doesn't have Atmos.

So sad.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

I was all excited because I thought I had the same setup and didn't realize it had spatial audio but it turns out we have the Sonos Beam which doesn't have Atmos.

So sad.

If there is one thing Sonos knows how to do, it's to design products that gate certain functionality into a much higher, eye wateringly high price bracket. Apple like and impressive from a commercial perspective.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Finally got my first iphone, an 8 with 128gb I picked up for ~$100 on ebay in near mint condition.

I'm only using it on wifi right now but was considering getting a cheap line for it just as a back up. My Google Fi plan gives you a free data-only sim but I'm debating whether I should get a second phone number with a pay-as-you-go plan.

What are the best iphone-exclusive apps I should play with?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Posting in defense of actual 5.1 and Atmos mixes of music, well done mixes sound great with the latest airpods pro/max and spatial audio, and even better with a real surround sound speaker setup.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yeah I have no idea why you'd want it on a phone. But using it with an AppleTV (ie - when you're sitting on the couch and not moving much) is awesome.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

T Zero posted:

iMessage

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

T Zero posted:

Finally got my first iphone, an 8 with 128gb I picked up for ~$100 on ebay in near mint condition.

I'm only using it on wifi right now but was considering getting a cheap line for it just as a back up. My Google Fi plan gives you a free data-only sim but I'm debating whether I should get a second phone number with a pay-as-you-go plan.

Apollo for Reddit.
Every Mastodon app (Ivory, Toot, many others).
Fantastical for Unified Calendars.
Spark for Unified Email.
Reeder for RSS feeds.
Overcast for podcasts.
Awful for SA forum browsing.
Pestle for Cooking/Meal Planning.
Procreate for drawing.
Most audio production apps.
Apple Arcade for high quality mobile games.

Safari extensions: Sponsorblock. AdGuard. Stop the Madness.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 12, 2023

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Inner Light posted:

Dunno why focus groups suggested this was a worthwhile manufactured need, do consumers even want it? I wish more companies would direct poll customers for their input in new features, I don't see very much of that at all in industry and I know why, but still.
similarly I wonder if any real person, ever, has thought “I’d love this phone if it was 2mm thinner!”

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Lots of talking past each other about spatial audio itt

There’s two modes of the spatial audio, centered and head tracked. The centred one gives you that cool Dolby atmos poo poo. The head tracked one gives you that dumb gimmick poo poo.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Replacing my iPhone 12 Mini (rip the mini dream) for an iPhone 14 Pro the carrier said to turn off find my phone which I did but do I need to do anything else to prepare it for trade in? All my photos should be in iCloud I assume. Do I need to wipe the device? How would I do that?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

cheesetriangles posted:

Replacing my iPhone 12 Mini (rip the mini dream) for an iPhone 14 Pro the carrier said to turn off find my phone which I did but do I need to do anything else to prepare it for trade in? All my photos should be in iCloud I assume. Do I need to wipe the device? How would I do that?

They may want it active to do the SIM transfer to eSIM. Just make sure they do a erase all content or whatever option before you leave the store.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's getting mailed to me and then I am mailing the old one back. The only drop off locations in person were a long enough drive to be annoying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

Turn off find my iPhone on 12 mini.

Receive 14 pro

Setup 14 pro

THEN wipe 12 mini and mail back. Go to settings > general > reset , it’s erase everything.

Everything is both in the cloud and on the 14 pro you don’t lose anything.

Sorry about tiny phone dream being gone, but hey, you get a goddamn great camera instead.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you even need to manually turn off find my iPhone there? They force it when you do erase all contents.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Do you even need to manually turn off find my iPhone there? They force it when you do erase all contents.

Technically no. But two things:

1. Carriers send the new phone ready to activate, but the phone won’t activate as your number until it detects find my iPhone is turned off (this assumes the trade in was processed same order of course).

2. Not sure how often it happens now, but it used to sometimes still leave find my iPhone on if you do it while erasing the phone. I think? It’s been fixed for a bit, but honestly it’s one of those “it takes 2 seconds and is safer” things.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Thanks seems easy enough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Minidust posted:

similarly I wonder if any real person, ever, has thought “I’d love this phone if it was 2mm thinner!”
That request is implied by the constant complaints that something like the Pro versions of the iPhones are too heavy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Constant complaints? I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone complain that an iPhone was too heavy.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

tuyop posted:

Lots of talking past each other about spatial audio itt

There’s two modes of the spatial audio, centered and head tracked. The centred one gives you that cool Dolby atmos poo poo. The head tracked one gives you that dumb gimmick poo poo.

I actually haven’t talked past anyone, but thanks.

I’ve tried all the modes and they are all significantly underwhelming. My flabber is not gasted.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

American McGay posted:

Constant complaints? I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone complain that an iPhone was too heavy.

I have heard it, and have thought it too.

The pro / highest end models with steel frames and more camera glass simply are heavy. Xs max was ridiculous compared to other phones at the time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The 14/14 Pro have a 1.2 ounce difference. That's practically imperceptible in normal use.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

American McGay posted:

Me, in this thread, last year

The Pro Max is an overheavy brick, it’s literally my only complaint about it

e: also too wide. I won’t get a big boy phone again.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Remember when everyone thought the iPhone 5 was going to have a tapered design? They should actually do that, let the phone feel thinner at the bottom and fat enough to finally get rid of the grotesque camera wart situation at the top.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/iPhoneTeam/status/410834450915012608?s=20&t=q0jV6_4kheS4zOF55XeznQ

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Anyone who thinks a standard sized iPhone is heavy is absolutely nuts (or they’ve never held an actual heavy phone). I went through 2 nokia Lumias before I bought my 6S plus back in the day. Those were bricks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Duckman2008 posted:

Turn off find my iPhone on 12 mini.
Receive 14 pro
Setup 14 pro
THEN wipe 12 mini and mail back. Go to settings > general > reset , it’s erase everything.

Also, when you transfer your old phone to the new one, it will ask you whether you want to wipe the old. Say no, especially if you have any oddball apps like authenticators/MFA which often require manual steps to transfer.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Anyone who thinks a standard sized iPhone is heavy is absolutely nuts (or they’ve never held an actual heavy phone). I went through 2 nokia Lumias before I bought my 6S plus back in the day. Those were bricks.

I think your memory is playing tricks on you. The 14 Pro (non-Max) weighs as much as the Nokia Lumia 1520, and more than the rest of the line (excepting the tablet). (The 6s Plus also weighs as much as or more than most Lumias.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Huh you know you’re right. And yet my 12pro feels like a feather in my hand when I take the case off and digging my old Lumia 920 out of the drawer it feels dense and heavy. I guess it’s a size to weight thing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

~Coxy posted:

Also, when you transfer your old phone to the new one, it will ask you whether you want to wipe the old. Say no, especially if you have any oddball apps like authenticators/MFA which often require manual steps to transfer.

god forbid you have a job logging into client MFA systems with their MFA, then your employer's own MFA, both having their own locked app on your phone. If you forget the exact proper steps it's like 2 hours of your time gone to get the sync correct again lol.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ugggggh, 14 Pro or 14 Pro Max? The Pro Max is obnoxiously big, but also it seems people are having pretty bad battery life on the regular sized Pro. I have a 13 Pro 128GB, and I wouldn’t even be considering an upgrade, except it’s starting to feel a little cramped and Verizon is offering me $1000 for it if I trade it in on an upgrade. Figure I’d just opt for the 1TB model so I’ll never have to actually worry about storage again, but if the 14 Pro’s battery is worse than the 13 Pro, then I’m not so sure.

Fwiw I had a 128GB iPhone 12 mini that I loved the size of, but the battery life on it was so bad I couldn’t even make it through my 8 hour day at work before it was into power saving mode. I got the 13 Pro because of the battery life issues on the 12 mini, and I don’t want to put myself in the same position again where I’m worried the phone will die before I get off work at 4pm every day.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The new iPhones are also more likely to benefit from cases than the old Nokias, which add to the weight. But I think weight is really the least of the problems. These things just so broad that balancing them and reaching all your controls are more challenging than an old Nokia ever was. I really think there needs to be a fundamental rethink of touchscreen UIs — everything you need to touch should be within the bottom X% of the screen. There’s not really any good reason for controls to sprawl the way it has. Even if you assume two-handed operations it’s still challenging to reach for everything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 16.3.1 is out!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

Ugggggh, 14 Pro or 14 Pro Max? The Pro Max is obnoxiously big, but also it seems people are having pretty bad battery life on the regular sized Pro. I have a 13 Pro 128GB, and I wouldn’t even be considering an upgrade, except it’s starting to feel a little cramped and Verizon is offering me $1000 for it if I trade it in on an upgrade. Figure I’d just opt for the 1TB model so I’ll never have to actually worry about storage again, but if the 14 Pro’s battery is worse than the 13 Pro, then I’m not so sure.

Fwiw I had a 128GB iPhone 12 mini that I loved the size of, but the battery life on it was so bad I couldn’t even make it through my 8 hour day at work before it was into power saving mode. I got the 13 Pro because of the battery life issues on the 12 mini, and I don’t want to put myself in the same position again where I’m worried the phone will die before I get off work at 4pm every day.

This is a bit ironic for me in particular to ask: but if you have the 13 pro, why are you upgrading already?

Disclosure: i upgrade every year, so I went from the 13 pro to 14 pro.

To answer your battery question: yeah the 12 mini battery was reviewed as being bad and a deal breaker. I had by the 13 pro and 14 pro, imo battery is fantastic on both. I can be out and about for a day, they’ll get through it.

I would only get the max if you want that size phone comfort wise. Same here, max is too big so I didn’t buy it. Otherwise , get a regular size pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a bit ironic for me in particular to ask: but if you have the 13 pro, why are you upgrading already?

Disclosure: i upgrade every year, so I went from the 13 pro to 14 pro.

To answer your battery question: yeah the 12 mini battery was reviewed as being bad and a deal breaker. I had by the 13 pro and 14 pro, imo battery is fantastic on both. I can be out and about for a day, they’ll get through it.

I would only get the max if you want that size phone comfort wise. Same here, max is too big so I didn’t buy it. Otherwise , get a regular size pro.

Looking at upgrading quite specifically due to Verizon offering me $1000 in trade-in credit for the phone I paid $1000 for back in 2021. Storage concerns on my 13 Pro are something of a justification, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t worry about my device’s storage utilization fairly often.

Otherwise, good to hear the battery life is comparable between the 13 Pro and 14 Pro in your experience. I think tech reviewers hyping up the Pro Max skewed my perception of what “good battery life” actually is.