Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I had not heard of Tate before he got dunked on on Twitter by Greta Thunberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I had not heard of Tate before he got dunked on on Twitter by Greta Thunberg

Sorta same, I vaguely hear about him nothing that big outside some mocking in the gbs chud mock thread. I watched some videos on him now. I haven’t finished the full roberts takes on him. But to me, Tate is a big insecure dipshit monster and got big because he thinks and sounds like a dumb insecure teenager who needs to lie about poo poo to feel less insecure but is very bad at it to anyone with eyes. I think that’s why he is loved by a lot of teens. He sounds and acts like they do to a degree and it’s engrossing. It’s like how trump has a cult of personality with dumb Chuds because he is a dumb chud.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Loudest “oh you son of a bitch” award goes to moi upon finding out Tate is mixed.

There’s a whole other element to Tate that Robert didn’t touch, but he’s wiser for not doing so, imho. Black masculinity is a whole loving beast of a thing to contend with and I can see some ripples of its influence regarding Tate.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
As stupid as it is, there’s a lot to be said for how these types are just plain good at speaking confidently, and that can help them bypass critical analysis because people unconsciously think that there’s no way someone would be speaking like that if they DIDN’T know what they were talking about. That’s why, like, Jordan Peterson can matter-of-factly deliver a word salad analysis of a Bible story and his fans think he’s a genius despite their having no idea what he just said.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

As stupid as it is, there’s a lot to be said for how these types are just plain good at speaking confidently, and that can help them bypass critical analysis because people unconsciously think that there’s no way someone would be speaking like that if they DIDN’T know what they were talking about. That’s why, like, Jordan Peterson can matter-of-factly deliver a word salad analysis of a Bible story and his fans think he’s a genius despite their having no idea what he just said.

probably but tate never sounds confident to me, he always sounds like he is on the verge of crying on his voice is cracking, and he is constant very obvious bullshit comes off as sad. peterson sounds like professor and if you never had a good teacher/professor, i can see why you would fall for him. gently caress even trump i can understand because 80s guy energey. idk. i remember being that age and falling for shitheads but it was never weirdly obvious shitheads like that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 6, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably but tate never sounds confident to me, he always sounds like he is on the verge of crying on his voice is cracking, and he is constant very obvious bullshit comes off as sad. peterson sounds like professor and if you never had a good teacher/professor, i can see why you would fall for him. gently caress even trump i can understand because 80s guy energey. idk. i remember being that age and falling for shitheads but it was never weirdly obvious shitheads like that.

It's because we've all grown accustomed to, and respect, the Muppets. If we simply treated Kermit with less respect, Dr Peterson would have never taken off

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Machetes!: It's because we've all grown accustomed to, and respect, the Muppets.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

That domino effect meme where it starts with "The Muppet Christmas Carol" and ends with Jordan B Peterson

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I now hear at least three panicky goldbug scam ads per episode of behind the bastards, pushing straight up republican propaganda about the ukraine war and inflation

Extremely cool and good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rotinaj posted:

I now hear at least three panicky goldbug scam ads per episode of behind the bastards, pushing straight up republican propaganda about the ukraine war and inflation

Extremely cool and good

It’s completely random apperently and it basically selects who throws money in the pot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s completely random apperently and it basically selects who throws money in the pot.

Completely random is doing some load bearing in your post, when it happened every single commercial break in the episode of btb i listened to yesterday.

I get that robert and sophie do not have control over it, but it doesn’t feel as innocent as iheart as the parent company want it to be portrayed.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I get that Robert and Sophie can’t control all the ads. But Robert also personally reads ads for awful companies like Better Help. Soooo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have heard that betterhelp kinda sucks, their therapists often are reading from scripts, and it is typically pretty clunky, but i haven’t heard about betterhelp being actually evil and doing worse things. What’s been going on?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Oh, just that they don’t actually help people or pay their therapists much. And that they sell your data to companies like Facebook. Super cool for them to jerk around people who might be having mental health crises and then tell Zuck about how depressed you are.

Every podcast I listen to that has them as a sponsor periodically has people showing up in that podcast’s sub saying “please stop taking money from BetterHelp. Here was my very bad experience with them…” I have never seen that for any other advertiser.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah, the only good way to use BetterHelp is to get a list of therapists near you and contact them directly. They'll probably charge you less than you pay for BH and you're not giving any money to a middleman who doesn't actually provide any value.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I get constant ads for an exorcism podcast, featuring a priest that does exorcisms and scary audio of the possessed. This is not a joke.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

I get constant ads for an exorcism podcast, featuring a priest that does exorcisms and scary audio of the possessed. This is not a joke.

It is not good. Same with that city of the rails podcast i have heard some ads for. Super jesus-y, despite constant claims to the contrary. And the city of the rails one, holy poo poo. This lady’s daughter ran off after high school to try a bohemian lifestyle, and the lady saw it as a direct personal attack.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s not totally random. At the very least, it adjust for foreign listeners.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

All I get is ads for other podcasts, mostly ones about murder.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dapper_Swindler posted:

From the selected audio that was played on BtB I kind of understood why I had heard very little of him but he was more popular with teens who don't know any better. Half the hustle ideas he described just flat out wouldn't work. Regardless of legality or ethics, it just isn't a thing you can do. That Uber scam he described would flat out just not work, if it did work it wouldn't turn a profit, and he sounded like he was making it up off the top of his head as he went. That's not gonna convince anyone who had to do a gig job to make rent but some kid who can't even drive yet? Yeah it probably sounds plausible.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Ceausescu episodes are pretty great and it's a great example of how incompetent asskissers rise to prominence in an organization until they suddenly and abruptly don't.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
The ads for Svetlana Svetlana are starting to grate on me despite the inoffensive topic.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Falukorv posted:

The ads for Svetlana Svetlana are starting to grate on me despite the inoffensive topic.

Yeah it's this one for me. It's like it replaced that "admit it, you LOVE true crime..." one.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Falukorv posted:

That is the one podcast of the current swath of new podcasts that is actually enjoyable so far. The ads are not great but the podcast itself has been interesting so far.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
the problem with the Svetlana Svetlana ad is that at first it sounds maaaybe relevant to my interests and then by the end of the ad I'm left with the impression that the host just thinks Svetlana is a wacky name and I stop being interested

my least favourite podcast ad is I still think the first season of disgraceland which was basically "you know those celebrities, always acting wild and crazy, well musicians are even crazier"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

neongrey posted:

my least favourite podcast ad is I still think the first season of disgraceland which was basically "you know those celebrities, always acting wild and crazy, well musicians are even crazier"

The ads for Disgraceland make me think that the host hates the musicians he covers. There's just something about his tone that makes me think that he's glad to be sharing the bad poo poo they may or may not have done

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I am attaching lollipops to these and passing them out to the other posters in this thread.

https://twitter.com/mallorywarrix/status/1623815497031581696

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Everett False posted:

I am attaching lollipops to these and passing them out to the other posters in this thread.

https://twitter.com/mallorywarrix/status/1623815497031581696

I love them and I wish there was even one single solitary person in my life I could give them to that would appreciate them

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

From the selected audio that was played on BtB I kind of understood why I had heard very little of him but he was more popular with teens who don't know any better. Half the hustle ideas he described just flat out wouldn't work. Regardless of legality or ethics, it just isn't a thing you can do. That Uber scam he described would flat out just not work, if it did work it wouldn't turn a profit, and he sounded like he was making it up off the top of his head as he went. That's not gonna convince anyone who had to do a gig job to make rent but some kid who can't even drive yet? Yeah it probably sounds plausible.

i watched a long stream of some internet goonlord making fun of his fall and having watched it, everything tate says sounds exactly like what some edgy insecure 15 year old would say, right down to the voice cracks when he is clearly telling a wopper. i can easly see why kids fall for him, he sounds like them and acts like them but has enough brains to sound smarter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i watched a long stream of some internet goonlord making fun of his fall and having watched it, everything tate says sounds exactly like what some edgy insecure 15 year old would say, right down to the voice cracks when he is clearly telling a wopper. i can easly see why kids fall for him, he sounds like them and acts like them but has enough brains to sound smarter.
Yes, a lot of the things he comes up with sound smart to a kid but any adult would be like 'uh, that's very illegal and you would get caught immediately'.

It's an even more juvenile version of what Trump was doing with Trump University, where it's a bait and switch with the idea that you are going to 'learn from the successful businessman' but it's just a scam.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
So I vaguely remembered that Bobby Fischer sucked going into today's episode, but holy poo poo I didn't know he was such a baby.

I expected the anti-Semitism, not that

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the worst ads for foreign listeners was the Lance Bass podcast until i started getting the iHeart Roblox Land ad multiple times in a row.

Seriously, wtf.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I thought the worst ads for foreign listeners was the Lance Bass podcast until i started getting the iHeart Roblox Land ad multiple times in a row.

Seriously, wtf.

My brother in Jante, it is so bad. Do I want gold scams or “do you even know what the word demographic means” ads for podcasts?

I understand Cool Zone Medias position wrt patreon and I am down, I get it, but I will pay cash money to an org or person of choice if it means I will never hear it again. Like I’ll do it regardless but like, free me from that awful 1992 podcast hell.

“What were you doing in 92?”
making GBS threads in diapers, waiting for Barney.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

My brother in Jante, it is so bad. Do I want gold scams or “do you even know what the word demographic means” ads for podcasts?

I understand Cool Zone Medias position wrt patreon and I am down, I get it, but I will pay cash money to an org or person of choice if it means I will never hear it again. Like I’ll do it regardless but like, free me from that awful 1992 podcast hell.

“What were you doing in 92?”
making GBS threads in diapers, waiting for Barney.

What is their position with regards to patreon? I haven’t heard it be brought up. Something like “give to a mutual aid fund instead?”

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

rotinaj posted:

What is their position with regards to patreon? I haven’t heard it be brought up. Something like “give to a mutual aid fund instead?”

Basically the last time Robert crowdfunded something he got a bunch of cash from people who were way worse off financially and couldn't afford to be giving that money to an internet stranger and it bummed him the gently caress out so he doesn't want to do it again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sophie: "I do get like 10 to 15 messages a day about the gold ads. I know guys, I see you"

Now I feel bad. (For complaining, i never messaged them)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Acute Grill posted:

Basically the last time Robert crowdfunded something he got a bunch of cash from people who were way worse off financially and couldn't afford to be giving that money to an internet stranger and it bummed him the gently caress out so he doesn't want to do it again.

That makes sense. And is a bummer.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I read a lot about Bobby Fischer and don’t recall hearing about him becoming a raging anti-Semite until after he was world champion. The stuff about him offering to show his uncircumcised dick is new and kinda surprising. I kinda want to dig into the sources; Mia glossed over and poorly characterized so many of the chess bits that the episode kinda sucked for me, and I can’t help but wonder about the overall quality of the info that went into this.

Like, “they played a bunch of games, nothing exciting happened, they didn’t play well” was the summary of the 1972 world championship? Fischer’s “game of the century” was NBD? Uh, no. No. I realize Fischer sucked as a person, but lovely people can still be good at things (not that this excuses their personal shittiness).

Doubly also, I am now sincerely wondering how much effort it would take to train an AI that removes the ad breaks from these episodes. They use the sample bumper jingles before and after each one that can be used to make the audio cuts; shouldn’t be too hard (???)

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 14, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

Doubly also, I am now sincerely wondering how much effort it would take to train an AI that removes the ad breaks from these loving episodes.

People using AI to REMOVE ads instead of ADDING them will be what triggers harsh government action on use of AI. At least for "civilians".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

Mia glossed over and poorly characterized so many of the chess bits that the episode kinda sucked for me, and I can’t help but wonder about the overall quality of the info that went into this.

Like, “they played a bunch of games, nothing exciting happened, they didn’t play well” was the summary of the 1972 world championship? Fischer’s “game of the century” was NBD?

Mostly unrelated, but between that aspect and my own issues, this is a hard listen.

I am a picky, fussy rear end in a top hat and I very rapidly begin to hate listening to things for childish reasons. I cannot cope with wet mouth sounds, people chewing out loud, stuff like that. One thing that keeps cropping up in podcasts for me is when people stumble over their words, get too excited, and start stuttering, stammering, and gabbling. Henry Zebrowski on Last Podcast on the Left is extremely bad about this.

Mia is also extremely exciteable and does this and it just kills me. Thanks, childhood trauma, misophonia is a great gift