Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It took me two forts to realise that I’d you mine all the rock away you can’t use the mining tool to build stairs lol. It’s confusing but it eventually makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Learning about all the things you can do with Construction is huge. Helped me a ton for doing more elaborate forts.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

realizing that rock blocks are superior to regular old boulders in every way was a real eye-opener for me when it comes to construction work

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also wood blocks. You can build SO much more from a tree if you make blocks out of the logs.

Also that’s my favorite bit of head canon, that dwarves have no notion of boards, they just call everything like that a block.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Also wood blocks. You can build SO much more from a tree if you make blocks out of the logs.

And this is how I learned wood logs now make 4 blocks apiece, just like boulders! :dance:

Back in the pre-Steam days you’d only get a single wooden block from a log.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Weird that my brain refused to acknowledge wood blocks existed. I love rock blocks, nothing beats the feeling of having 2-3 apprentice stonemasons just churning out hundreds of rock blocks. I used to love minecarting metric tonnes of the stuff to the surface to do all my mega project base building stuff. This thread just taught me that I can do the exact same but with wood. I knew wood blocks were a thing, but for some reason, I've never once made wood blocks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, I'm about to get much more serious about tree murder.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The Engineer's Guild, I highly endorse it!

So if you think about it the field of engineering is pretty broad, and so sort of like how a farmers guild can teach planting but also other farming related tasks, engineering can teach a variety of tasks as well. But one in particular makes it stand out -not just above building a run of the mill mechanic's guild for all your mechanism crafting needs- but possibly as a contender for most important guild in the game!

An engineer's guild can provide lectures in studying.

It's a little finicky to get started though, I suspect because you need a dwarf with decent levels in both Teacher and Student to start getting regular lectures. Possibly there's a strategy with this in mind when choosing starting skills at embark where you set this as your first meeting area if only to lay the groundwork for all of your dwarves to be expert students as soon as possible for further education in specialized labor.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

gently caress me, there’s WOOD blocks too? I gotta get on that poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I finally got a fort going in a place that didn't have a six level aquifer and you guys were not kidding about how much loving coal you can find now. It wasn't exactly super rare in sedimentary layers previously but I think I have like a thousand potential fuel units just laying around and I have not mined out more than a couple of fairly generous seams.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
what do i need to be aware of setting up military squads these days? I know the whole process is buggy as poo poo.

What do I do to turn my "hunters" into a marksdwarf squad that wears all this nice steel armor i made

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 12, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Running a melee squad is fine except you gotta fiddle with gloves and shoes a bit. Make a custom setup that says armor REPLACES clothes.

Marksdwarf squads are plagued by never refilling their ammo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
do they need two shoes and gauntlets each or just one

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Two unless they got their hand or foot chopped off or they're a three armed or legged dwarf.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

But in the uniform screen, you only designate one. It means a pair.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What you actually need to do is edit a couple text files so that shoes and gloves always fit under armor. Then you can assign whatever and never have any problems. I'll post the 1 tag you need when I'm back on my desktop

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tuna-Fish posted:

But in the uniform screen, you only designate one. It means a pair.

goddammit gotta do all that over again over again now >_<

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

When you edit a dwarf's equipment, you have to click the confirm button. Right clicking is cancel.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Appoda posted:

What you actually need to do is edit a couple text files so that shoes and gloves always fit under armor. Then you can assign whatever and never have any problems. I'll post the 1 tag you need when I'm back on my desktop

So what you want to do is go to dwarf fortress/data/vanilla/vanilla_items/objects and then find item_gloves and item_shoes. Find gloves, mittens, and shoes in their respective text files, and add the tag [SHAPED] to their list of tags. It should look like this:

Do that, save, restart your game, and boom -- soldiers don't need to remove gloves or shoes to equip armor. You'll have to do this again every time the game updates (unless toady rolls it into an actual patch), but I just keep a copy of the text docs and paste them over whenever I update. The only thing I've had to change about my ~6 squads is if I want them all to use a specific weapon, or when I want them to start wearing plate.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

goddammit gotta do all that over again over again now >_<

A way to expedite uniform changes is to change 1 person's uniform to your preferences, name it, then click "confirm and save uniform" on the upper right. Then you can back out to the squad level and assign that uniform to everyone.

Oh yeah and don't use backpacks. Don't even have them in your fortress. Right now they basically do nothing and having them means performing a huge work-around to stop war dwarves from dumping food everywhere.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How can i get monster hunters to stop bugging me?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

How can i get monster hunters to stop bugging me?

Don't build a tavern, and/or hit your popcap. If you're at your cap you won't get any more petitions.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The tavern thing is a red herring, just fyi. Current fort I never made more of a meeting area than the OG wagon, and I had dozens of the dudes. Migrants were scarce though, so I accepted almost all of them, and maybe because the only meeting area was the wagon for like three years, they actually spent a TON of time randomly patrolling the caves, it was pretty rad!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

The tavern thing is a red herring, just fyi. Current fort I never made more of a meeting area than the OG wagon, and I had dozens of the dudes. Migrants were scarce though, so I accepted almost all of them, and maybe because the only meeting area was the wagon for like three years, they actually spent a TON of time randomly patrolling the caves, it was pretty rad!

Oh, good to know! I just assumed they were linked, I always build a tavern early on. One to move my meeting area underground into safety and two, it just feels dwarfy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I do suspect the tavern distracts them, though. They’d much rather sit around and drink and party instead of the dangerous thing they promised in exchange for citizenship.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I have one who has done fuckall for years. Granted long term residency, but never applied for citizenship, doesn't do anything except get upset that his clothes are rotting off. If he applied then I could at least put him in the army and fulfill a bunch of his bullshit needs, but he won't and I can't kick him out without using his wife, who's actually a useful legendary doctor. Maybe I'll kick him out anyway, healthcare be damned

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

You can eventually turn monster slayers into regular citizens by going Labor -> Locations on their unit sheet and clicking the red X next to Monster Slayer. They'll no longer perform their monster slayer duties, but they'll no longer be prevented from petitioning citizenship, so after a while they'll just ask to become a full member of your fort. You can also use the Labor->Work Details tab on their sheet to assign non-citizen residents labors even though they don't show up on the main labor screen. Is this functionality intended, iunno

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does a well have to be directly over water or can it just be built over a hole that is unobstructed down to water

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The latter. Also, wells don't obstruct wells, you can put one on each level. The only downside is that drawing water from a well takes a longer time if the water is deeper down. A few tiles won't matter, but a hundred-tile deep shaft does.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hmm may need to adjust then.i have no surface water in my new fort so walled off a damp room and let it fill but its like 30 levels down

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Do weapon traps just automatically pull from your weapon supplies now? That kind of sucks. I want my dozens of bronze spears I made for practice/emergency use to go into the traps, not my precious steel.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

^ It should pop up a window where you can select specific weapons from 1 to 10 max, so that sounds weird.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah if you have 'use closest material' or whatever checked it will automatically fill it with the 10 closest weapons, which isn't ideal

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Nessus posted:

Do weapon traps just automatically pull from your weapon supplies now? That kind of sucks. I want my dozens of bronze spears I made for practice/emergency use to go into the traps, not my precious steel.

So the posters above pretty much nailed your specific issue now to let you know up front about an issue you probably haven't even noticed yet- if you decide to start specifically using the highest quality mechanisms available for weapons traps (which the wiki says influences accuracy iirc) and you scroll past several pages of mechanisms to find a high quality one, once that mechanism has been selected and you are brought to the weapons selection popup it starts you off the same number of pages down the list as the high quality mechanism that you selected was. Which, given the likely disparity between types of weapon and types of stone mechanism available, means you're stuck looking at a completely blank page on the popup with no real way of proceeding.

The fix I found was to make a stockpile that only accepted high quality mechanisms that pulled from the general mechanism supply and then located the stockpile near where I wanted the traps to be so that the high quality mechanisms would always be on page one of the mechanisms popup. Then when it proceeds to the weapon selection popup it just starts you off on page one like you'd hope it would.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 13, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flavahbeast posted:

yeah if you have 'use closest material' or whatever checked it will automatically fill it with the 10 closest weapons, which isn't ideal
Ah so that's the ticket, easy to fix

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

is there any reason as to why my dwarfs keep falling down the well and drowning? this is like the second or third one who's decided to do that

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cowman posted:

is there any reason as to why my dwarfs keep falling down the well and drowning? this is like the second or third one who's decided to do that

If there are fights happening, even if just between a couple of animals who get into a brief mixup, it can startle dwarves and they might dodge into any nearby open space and fall down into the well. Possibly there are other reasons it could happen tho, try to keep an eye on the area.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've noticed it happening when my wells are within one tile of stairs / ramps when it happens. They also keep dropping things down the well like wheelbarrows. Keeping the well out of high traffic zones is a good idea.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Would a hatch on top of stairs work? I realize i did that and locked it but have no real idea if it would work. I just used the stairs to help trench my enormous well and dont need them anymore

Edit: can a well overflow? I noticed that my very deep well is slowly filling from the aquifer. Not sure if pressure will stop before it gets high enough but figure ill ask

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

a well can overflow from a top down aquifier feed. an aquifier layer below will never overflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thats good to know. Worst comes to worst its easy to divert out of the fort and isnt lava.