Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Have you ever looked at your previous soldering jobs and said, “Good God, how the hell did I ever do something this bad?” I swear, some of mine from years past look like they were done by a crippled, arthritic baboon with Parkinson’s, behind his back, in the dark.

Nope, and I definitely haven't gone back and re-done a bunch of joints from early projects either just cuz they were bothering me, that would be silly ha ha ha :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

Have you ever looked at your previous soldering jobs and said, “Good God, how the hell did I ever do something this bad?” I swear, some of mine from years past look like they were done by a crippled, arthritic baboon with Parkinson’s, behind his back, in the dark.

Yes, sometimes even with things done earlier that day

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Soldering jobs, coding jobs, drawing jobs, construction jobs, cooking jobs…

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
That baboon lives at my house and eats my food

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

kid sinister posted:

No that's what heatshrink is for.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Have you ever looked at your previous soldering jobs and said, “Good God, how the hell did I ever do something this bad?”

Yes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I only just learned basic soldering and it took me less than 8 hours to look at the first thing I did and feel shame.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Has anyone used JLPCB+DHL recently? Either there's something about my order that angers their system, or they've gotten rid of the "we deal with customs clearance" option.
These showed up without any DHL drama

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
If you ever feel bad about your soldering, go find an fpv drone subreddit and have a look at some of the soldering pictures there. You'll feel better about your own soldering, I promise.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the Crappy Construction thread:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Fine. Here's one with an audio alert.

Edit: for anyone that doesn't know, bullets without a gun chamber to contain their explosion are basically as dangerous as firecrackers.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 19, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
yeah but you know for sure when a fuse has blown

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
What would Grover's soldering be like?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

csammis posted:

Soldering jobs, coding jobs, drawing jobs, construction jobs, cooking jobs…
Finding some old code and going "What's this garbage, who wrote this? ... Oh, I did."

It happens way too often.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kid sinister posted:

From the Crappy Construction thread:

Edit: for anyone that doesn't know, bullets without a gun chamber to contain their explosion are basically as dangerous as firecrackers.

Going by that picture, putting one in a fuse holder would make it quite a bit more dangerous though since you're holding the bullet in place and therefore apparently it has to blow the side off the casing for the gas to escape, possibly throwing jagged metal bits across the room, how exciting!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That reminds me, there are actually fuses with real actual built-in (blank) cartridges! They're for use on 15kV power grid stuff, where when it blows you want the two ends to blow away from each other as fast as possible to extinguish the arc that forms.

e: Here we go, I knew I remembered seeing BigClive dremmeling one apart at one point lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hvg2Wey92E

I guess it's a lightning arrestor not a fuse but close enough.

e2: I forgot he didn't find the cartridge in that video despite setting it off, here's his short follow-up where he actually finds it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G6NXge8DAE

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 19, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Wow, thanks dutch webshop, for giving me the joy of sorting out 10 different values of capacitor of which i ordered 5 or 10 per value.

FFS, if you order these in China you get them neatly bagged per value. I wanted to order locally because i wanted them quickly and was hesitant to order during chinese new year. But they didn't even tape them together with a bit of sticky tape.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's true, the Dutch are the worst

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love this AliExpress page for a rotary encoder I found:

Aviation-level algorithm! Top-level Equipments!

Anyway I'm trying to actually find the documentation for it since I bought one randomly from somewhere and am trying to figure out how to use it. Let's see what the page has:

... A picture of the folders that would have the documentation in them. Thanks!

e: Finally found the datasheet (on their "wiki" which is actually just a google drive with a bunch of PDF's on it??) and while I always love the "applications" section of any datasheet, this one's particularly good I think:

"Street Lamp Construction" is probably my favorite but I do also really like the idea of gluing it to my furniture as decoration

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 1, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

If it's Appple stuff it's probably him. EEV Dave tends to use pretty big chisel tips and lots of flux too though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLf8gvvXXU

The flux IMO can help a ton as well if you're having trouble, if there's any oxidation or other crap on the parts, sometimes it just won't melt no matter what.

I'm sure it's fine, I can hardly hear anything. Just hold on and I'll record my own microwave :v:

e: It's definitely more noticeable IRL
https://i.imgur.com/jpc8k4Z.mp4

loving jinxed it lol!

https://i.imgur.com/xKC9H4B.mp4

Any idea what could be making this sound in a microwave/convection oven? When it first happened the noise lasted like 30 seconds before going away. It happens in all modes (microwave, convection, broiling etc) and the turntable spins normally and doesn't seem to correlate with the noise in any way.

I'm also trying to fix the Lenovo keyboard, I didn't notice that the traces were actually continuing to the other layer and accidentally torn them when separating the film. I'm probably going to have to use some wires to restore continuity, but how do I keep them in place sine I can't solder? Is there some sort of conductive glue?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

kid sinister posted:

This means we're improving. :)

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm also trying to fix the Lenovo keyboard, I didn't notice that the traces were actually continuing to the other layer and accidentally torn them when separating the film. I'm probably going to have to use some wires to restore continuity, but how do I keep them in place sine I can't solder? Is there some sort of conductive glue?

You could try copper tape. I've used it to repair broken PCB traces before, which it can do without soldering if you get the kind with conductive adhesive. (Adhesives eventually lose their tackiness, though, so I would still solder the tape down. [edited to add: I haven't tried soldering to the conductive traces of a keyboard membrane before, and am not certain they would accept solder w/o melting.])

Meowspergers fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 5, 2023

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Easy way to start a flame war with electronics hobbyists: Discuss the merits of using leaded vice lead-free solder.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Lead-free solder is haram for hobbyists. Solder with lead, die with brain damage but put on your tombstone that there were loving fine joints in your self-balancing robot. Fair trade :colbert:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

loving jinxed it lol!

Any idea what could be making this sound in a microwave/convection oven? When it first happened the noise lasted like 30 seconds before going away. It happens in all modes (microwave, convection, broiling etc) and the turntable spins normally and doesn't seem to correlate with the noise in any way.

You can get conductive pens that draw on some kind of conductive ink. I've never used them myself, I just solder stuff, but they do exist and might be a good option for you.

If you google "conductive pen" they come up, hopefully someone in this thread has some experience with them and can make a more precise recommendation

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I do have a conductive pen, but the two traces are completely torn in the spot where the two layers separate in this photo. You can see the 3rd one still connected. So a pen's not gonna cut it unfortunately.

Is it actually possible to solder to this film without melting it? I have to say I just assumed that's not possible but there's only one way to find out I suppose!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

loving jinxed it lol!

Could be the transformer laminations separating. Transformers can make noise if the laminations aren't tight/glued together and microwaves have a giant one. BE CAREFUL! Amateur woodworkers use microwave transformers to make Lichtenberg fractal wood burns. More than a couple manage to electrocute themselves every year from messing around with those microwave transformers.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Like literally die as a result? That seems extremely dumb to do.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yes and yes

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It has gained notoriety due to numerous incidents of death or severe injuries when people have attempted it at home, with at least 33 people having died between 2017 and 2022.[1][5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_burning

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BigClive did a pretty good PSA about it a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBeSKL9zVro

It's not just high current high voltage, it's high current high voltage and spraying salt water everywhere so everything around you becomes more conductive. Great!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shame Boy posted:

BigClive did a pretty good PSA about it a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBeSKL9zVro

It's not just high current high voltage, it's high current high voltage and spraying salt water everywhere so everything around you becomes more conductive. Great!

ElectroBOOM noticed that very fact in his video today (around 12:50): https://youtu.be/Qy81O7LrB84

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Working on my electronics repair kit, a lot of times I have to fix something that's failed because of vibration. Is there a 1-part glue that dries soft and has a good shelf life that I should be packing for those "the voltage regulator snapped off again" moments?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Any sort of silicone adhesive or caulking would probably work? Depends on the level of vibration you're seeing, I suppose. Is this "carried around in a backpack" or "launched into space?"

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hot glue

Seriously, I use that poo poo for everything

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

slurm posted:

Working on my electronics repair kit, a lot of times I have to fix something that's failed because of vibration. Is there a 1-part glue that dries soft and has a good shelf life that I should be packing for those "the voltage regulator snapped off again" moments?

I can't think of any glues that dry soft that you can seal up and use only when you need it. You would be looking at silicone/RTV. Once you open the container, the clock is ticking.

Maybe blue tack, but that stuff hardly has any holding strength.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yeah I'll stick with RTV blobs. Hot glue would be ideal but it's one tool too many, it's what I use at home.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

slurm posted:

Yeah I'll stick with RTV blobs. Hot glue would be ideal but it's one tool too many, it's what I use at home.

you can get very little hot glue guns

I have one like this:
https://www.amazon.com.au/TOPIND-St...5269282051&th=1
That's not unreasonable for a toolbox/bag

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

slurm posted:

Yes!

Norland NEA 123 and this UV flashlight. It's a very thick fluid that cures in a few seconds to a firm consistency. Firmer than silicone caulk, not as hard as epoxy. Similar to (cooled) hot glue.

The catch is you need to light up everything you want cured. It can't cure if sandwiched between two opaque objects, for example. Well, you can bake it for 10 minutes at 125 C or 3 hours at 80 C, but that is a pain in the rear end.

Use a 400 nm flashlight, not 365 nm, if you want to cure through acrylic. NEA 123 cures fine at 400.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Also depending on the part and circuit, potting a voltage regulator under a bunch of goo may make it overheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Definitely a concern with thermal impedance, IIRC that was one of two takeaways from early "let's just pot everything in epoxy to meet the environment spec" electronics attempts.

The other was that the differential thermal expansion would either snap components off the board, or it would turn your flat board into a frisbee after a few cycles.

Specifically to glue down voltage regulators, I've found HC910 thermal RTV to be pretty good for glueing heatsinks. It comes in small tubes and hardens pretty fast for an RTV (like 1-2 hours).
Never tried it in a high vibration environment though.