Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

Go to a combini.

There are also many nice guys in Tokyo who will take you to bars to hear good Reggaeton music.

Places like Roppongi etc.

they said the problem was shipping it to a conbini.

will there be japanese people enjoying the reggaeton or other duped foreigners??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I was making a sarcastic comment. Never go to a bar some dude invites you to on the street in Tokyo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mister Chief posted:

I was making a sarcastic comment. Never go to a bar some dude invites you to on the street in Tokyo.

Or anywhere else. Never following a tout will keep you out of the majority of bad traveling situations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

i figured as much but it's been two izakaya tonight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Or anywhere else. Never following a tout will keep you out of the majority of bad traveling situations.

This is gospel.

Also lmao reggaeton in Tokyo. I’m sure there’s some dive that does somewhere, Tokyo is big enough, but I don’t think that’s what’s up for the bigger dance clubs. Might have to come back for the Jamaica Fest in Yoyogi Park in the spring, the only time you see them smoke signals in public.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yeah i guess i was pinning a lot on bad bunny. bachata, merengue, or salsa are good for what i'm looking for. just like to see other people enjoying my culture at their home.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone been to Naoshima to look at all the art installation stuff they have going on? One of our group really fancies checking it out but the travel there and back from Osaka would eat up a good chunk of the day so I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's worth tagging along and not just staying in Osaka to find other stuff to do.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Naoshima is fun and worth it, it’s there in the last few pages repeatedly.

Go spend overnight in takamatsu and eat food udon then stop by kurahsiki the next day before you go back to mainstream Osaka

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of, I revised the itinerary further and now I'm actually starting to like it:

It's very dependent on the car rental. We need some way to get from Onomichi to Iya, and picking up a car in Imabari along the way makes the most sense to me. We'll need it in Takamatsu, so we'll drop it off there.

We'll see if my dad's cool with it, though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my itinerary on my first visit was like:

2 weeks tokyo, do whatever
1 week kansai, do whatever
1 week kyushu, do whatever
1 week okinawa, do whatever
1 week hokkaido, do whatever

this worked out well in the end. i'd hate to have my itinerary be so granular and lacking in free time to encounter the unexpected but i guess it's a matter of preference

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I once had a two day vacation with my sister who had every 30 minutes blocked out and honestly it worked out incredibly well. But, that's how she does all her vacations so I think it CAN work and be enjoyable but you really need to be able to do it well, i.e. realistic time lines, etc

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

this worked out well in the end. i'd hate to have my itinerary be so granular and lacking in free time to encounter the unexpected but i guess it's a matter of preference

To be fair your trip was so long that you had a lot of leeway to have such a schedule. For the standard 2 weeks tourists usually do, you're better off having some some sort of day-to-day plan just to avoid having to waste time planning out routes while you're already in Japan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I remember some insane Reddit itinerary once where dude had planned it out down to like five minute intervals and dug up the schedule of every subway train to pick the one he needed to keep the precision, it was quite the read.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Traveling with parents/old people it's probably better to have stuff planned out, especially if they have so many specific things that they want to do. Japan is old people paradise so it's well suited to the style of travel they prefer, just like how everything is society is finely tuned to their preferences.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Day 7 "train to lmabari" needs to be "bus to imabari"

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Any special sights or recommendations about onomichi and imbari? Thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Imabari city is weird and spread out and I can't really recommed it as a specific destination for foreign tourists. The islands are wonderful and there's a mall and a Donki and a small castle. The towel museum is just a giant gift shop. Downtown around the station and the old shopping arcade is sad and empty. Tsunashiki Tenman-jingu is one of my favorite shrines ever to walk and chill, if you're already driving through that area.

Onomichi is very hilly so enjoy it while you're young enough to walk up and down stairs all day.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The towels are good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

peanut posted:

Day 7 "train to lmabari" needs to be "bus to imabari"

Whoops, you're right!

Shibawanko posted:

The granularity is really only in Takamatsu, and that's because dad has some very specific places he wants to check out and things to do that require planning and chunking out time. Everything other than the time we spend in Takamatsu is essentially freeform minus the whole car rental thing.

LyonsLions posted:

Traveling with parents/old people it's probably better to have stuff planned out, especially if they have so many specific things that they want to do. Japan is old people paradise so it's well suited to the style of travel they prefer, just like how everything is society is finely tuned to their preferences.

Also this.

peanut posted:

Imabari city is weird and spread out and I can't really recommed it as a specific destination for foreign tourists. The islands are wonderful and there's a mall and a Donki and a small castle. The towel museum is just a giant gift shop. Downtown around the station and the old shopping arcade is sad and empty. Tsunashiki Tenman-jingu is one of my favorite shrines ever to walk and chill, if you're already driving through that area.

Onomichi is very hilly so enjoy it while you're young enough to walk up and down stairs all day.

Good to know re: Imabari. By the islands, you mean the ones along Shimanami? Are the ones to the west of the highway worth hitting up too?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

We'll see if my dad's cool with it, though.

He did not bite.

:getin:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

He did not bite.

:getin:

You're a saint for putting up with this, I would have had a "work conflict" with the travel dates several iterations ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He’s my dad. v:v:v

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Wonton posted:

Naoshima is fun and worth it, it’s there in the last few pages repeatedly.

Go spend overnight in takamatsu and eat food udon then stop by kurahsiki the next day before you go back to mainstream Osaka
Hmm I’ll need to see if I can cut a few other things to make time for it maybe then.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Good to know re: Imabari. By the islands, you mean the ones along Shimanami? Are the ones to the west of the highway worth hitting up too?

You don't have enough time to explore the Shimanami Kaido islands off the highway.

Unless you dedicate a day to bunny island.
大久野島(うさぎ島)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tQVU74ZJGTyu4bBUA

Just crossing the bridges is the best part, so it's ok if you don't actually get off the bus and explore, but renting bicycles is cool and fun (the full trip takes about 6-8 hrs on bike btw, a lot of people choose to just do a quick round trip across one bridge)

Kosanji Temple on Ikuchijima has scale replicas of famous architecture
Kousanji
0845-27-0800
https://maps.app.goo.gl/72sAPixYPZhcf9Jb7

One of the best views
Kirosan Park
0897-84-2111
https://maps.app.goo.gl/6pGgaMfzhzVwZKcQ6

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm planning to take a solo trip to Japan this September. I'm not an experienced traveler outside of the U.S., so I guess I'm wondering if anything I'm planning is Exceptionally Stupid™ and should be avoided.

Planned travel itinerary
  • 9/16: nonstop United flight to IAD (arrive 4:20 pm), spend the night in DC
  • 9/17: nonstop ANA flight to HND at 12:15 pm
  • 9/18: Flight arrives in HND at 3:20 pm
  • 9/30: nonstop ANA flight back to IAD at 10:55 am, arrive at 10:35 am (isn't that neat), and then a nonstop United flight back home at 12:30 pm
I know I'm cutting it close with my connection on the way home so a delay with my first flight or an extra-long wait in customs would sabotage my second flight, but I'm not worried about navigating that if it happens; it would be easy to resolve.

I've got a boatload of Chase Ultimate Rewards points from my Sapphire Reserve card... but I guess I'm too late to book anything above Economy with those. I checked departures from both IAD and ORD for weeks surrounding my dates, and I didn't see first-class or business-class tickets available for awards usage. Oh well. I've never actually used my points before, but I think I can use this deal through Virgin Atlantic to book the IAD/HND tickets for 65k points roundtrip, so that's pretty cool.

Stuff I'm planning to do if it's open
  • Tokyo Metro. Gov. Building observation deck (night) <-- I'm planning to stay at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo across the street from it; I've heard this is a cool view (unfortunately, this is another case where my plan to book a nice suite using Chase points has been sabotaged by what's actually available)
  • teamLab Planets
  • Samurai Museum <-- I think this is still closed due to COVID, but maybe it reopens by then
  • Robot Restaurant <-- same as Samurai Museum
  • Square Enix Cafe <-- I think I need a reservation for this one
  • Hakushu restaurant <-- I'm sure I need a reservation for this one
  • Tokyo National Museum
  • Akihabara (Super Potato)
  • Kabuki show (find one-act hitomakumi with English subtitle tablets)
  • Ghibli Museum
  • Sumo morning practice (find a tour)
  • Baseball game (Giants or Swallows)
  • Pro wrestling show (NJPW or Stardom)
That's about one activity per day, and I'd group together some of them that are nearby each other, and others may not actually be an option while I'm there. So, I think my events plan is kind of sparse compared to some folks, but I'd like to have a a decent amount of unstructured time to wander around and see stuff like parks and shrines. I've also thought about making day-trips to visit a hot spring, Mt. Fuji, Tokyo DisneySea, or Ghibli Park (which I think will be partially opened by then). I feel like if I add one or especially two of those things to the list, my agenda should be full.

Any advice appreciated, thank you!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I don't think the robot restaurant is coming back.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

But that sounds like a cool trip and I hope you enjoy it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I don't think the robot restaurant is coming back.

Honestly that's fine, I saw some pictures and the insane spectacle seemed cool, but maybe I can find something else along those lines. Or a wrestling show would probably provide more than enough spectacle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Edo Tokyo museum is really cool. If you're into cooking at all a walk through Kappabashi is a good time even if you don't buy anything.

I also love a long urban walk and suggest always doing that in a new city if you can. Walking from like Shinjuku or Shibyua to Asakusa takes maybe five or six hours if you go slow and do some wandering, stop off for lunch, and it's a lot of fun to just see life on the street.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The Edo Tokyo museum is really cool. If you're into cooking at all a walk through Kappabashi is a good time even if you don't buy anything.

I also love a long urban walk and suggest always doing that in a new city if you can. Walking from like Shinjuku or Shibyua to Asakusa takes maybe five or six hours if you go slow and do some wandering, stop off for lunch, and it's a lot of fun to just see life on the street.

It sounds like the museum will still be closed by then unfortunately: https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/the-edo-tokyo-museum-in-ryogoku-is-closing-for-three-years-from-april-2022-012422

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ah drat, that sucks.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Can you buy Ghibli tickets outside Japan?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s a good first time japan itinerary, just stay in either nikko/kawaguchiko /hakone for 2 days and you are good.

Ghibli museum tickets are hard to get but not impossible. Park is in aichi which for you will cost a lot of money and not worth going to unless you want to be in Kyoto.

Recommend the national museum + teamlab
Skip robot (thank god it’s gone)

Do you have to stay in shinjuku? Coming from HND if you want views, stay in shiodome. It’s a lot closer to the airport and will save you at least 45 min time from HND. Shiodome is also close to Tokyo station ish and shimbashi which have a lot of restaurants

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Wonton posted:

It’s a good first time japan itinerary, just stay in either nikko/kawaguchiko /hakone for 2 days and you are good.

Ghibli museum tickets are hard to get but not impossible. Park is in aichi which for you will cost a lot of money and not worth going to unless you want to be in Kyoto.

Recommend the national museum + teamlab
Skip robot (thank god it’s gone)

Gonna assume he means the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Gonna assume he means the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo.

Yeah, the bulleted list part is the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo. I had also thought about the Ghibli Park that I know is elsewhere in the country, but I kind of knew that was a long-shot since I think it's only just opening now and I imagine the domestic demand is very very high.

Wonton posted:

Sorry, this is the first I'm hearing of any of those; could you say more about why you enjoy those locations? I'm guessing the core idea is just to get out of the city for a bit.

Wonton posted:

Do you have to stay in shinjuku? Coming from HND if you want views, stay in shiodome. It’s a lot closer to the airport and will save you at least 45 min time from HND. Shiodome is also close to Tokyo station ish and shimbashi which have a lot of restaurants

No, but that hotel seemed like a pretty central location where it would be easy to get around to everything else I had planned. I only need to go to/from the airport twice, so I'm not too worried about that element of it.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Most of the sights you listed are on the ginza subway line. Team planets is a lot closer to shiodome (well toyosu is far). Sumo practice is probably on the East side of the river.

Ghibli museum is a half day even if you are in shinjuku. You can go to Tokyo station and take the chuo line to mitaka. You can swing by the metropolitan building on your way back.

Hyatt regency is in tochomae station of the oedo line, it’s hell getting in and out. You have to walk 900 meters everyday to the JR station. The part of shinjuku is for chain hotels or government workers.

Shiodome isn’t much better but a lot smaller and closer to your touristy locations. And the hotel buildings are probably newer and nicer.

But these are minor details which don’t matter much to fish out of water tourists.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

surf rock posted:

Sorry, this is the first I'm hearing of any of those; could you say more about why you enjoy those locations? I'm guessing the core idea is just to get out of the city for a bit.
They're just places outside of Tokyo. If you're interested and think you can afford to take a couple of days away then do it, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Where are you coming from? Flying to the east coast rather than the west coast is going to make your trip a bit longer. If you can fly to LAX or SFO or even something in the NW you will cut some time out of your flight.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Did not realize the food stalls in fukuoka tear down and set up every day. we ate at okamoto and it was great. appreciate all the more now that i just walked past and saw them setting up in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Did not realize the food stalls in fukuoka tear down and set up every day. we ate at okamoto and it was great. appreciate all the more now that i just walked past and saw them setting up in the rain.

where are these food stalls? I'll be in fukuoka in a couple weeks and love street food lol

E: I know nothing about fukuoka so anyone who wants to chime in go nuts. All I've got planned is finding some saga beef and general hanging out