Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I recently moved to a new place, and so got a tp-link ax3000 for a router. The issue I'm having is that my old frontier router had a built in DNS so I could just ssh into [user]@[computer name] rather than use an ip address. Is there any way to set that up on my new router?

OPNsense allows you to do this with Unbound DNS iirc for static ip devices on the lan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Epiphyte posted:

So I have something odd going on. Just finished punching down my patch panel and ports in all my rooms that had previously had Cat6 run while my house was being built.

Been messing around with speed test in my wife office and am getting odd results, like 250Mbit down, 50Mbit up, despite having a gigabit fiber connections

Windows reports negotiated full duplex gigabit with the router, and I ran iperf to connect from my wife's office to my desktop on the LAN and it report duplex 750Mbit and my desktop gets drat near full duplex gigabit to WAN on speed test

Trying to figure out where I'm running into issues, I've got the BGW320 ATT Fiber router and the switch is just a unmanaged 8 port TP-link

My network is laid out like so:

I'm having something similar going on - I had comcast xfinity for years, constant issues with it, went through multiple routers, wifi cards, different devices (pc, laptops, phones), just sucked. But I could get about 7-10 mbps down on torrents once they got rolling.

Got att fiber put in two days ago.

First day: amazing, speedtest from inside the house showing like 700 mbps. Oddly, couldn't torrent for poo poo - max I could get was about 750 kbps. Didn't worry much about it, stopped torrents.
Earlier today, down around 300. Downloaded some large mods for games direct from website, could not get over 750 kbps again.
Figured had to be the gateway, so got out the archer a7, plugged it into the att gateway with an ethernet cable that worked fine for xfinity modem -> router; changed firewall settings to passthrough, set the router dns to 1.1.1.1, turned wifi off on the att gateway.

Now i'm getting speedtests in the low single digit mbps. 2.5 down ,1.5 up on a test in browser; 4 down, 1.5 up in a test using the windows program from ookla.

What the gently caress?

edit: took an old laptop to the gateway/router, unplugged the router, reset the gateway settings to default
wired test, then wireless test
come the gently caress on

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 10, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have a several-years-old router that routinely cuts access to the wireless network. Like, I will be working online and suddenly my laptop says “no internet connection” and I’m shown as disconnected from both the 2.4 and 5G networks. Power cycling the router resolves the issue, until it happens again. It was exceptionally bad last night: I had maybe 6 minutes of connectivity over an entire hour. It does not seem to be only my laptop—other devices in the apartment show the same behavior, though not always at the same time. Some devices seem almost totally unaffected by it.

I suppose I have two questions related to this:
(1) Is the probable issue something that can be fixed without buying a new router? The OP, out of date as it is, mentions overheating as a possible issue for routers. If so, maybe moving the router would improve reliability?
(2) If the real fix is buying a new router, what are the current thread favorites? Cheaper is better all else equal, but if the quality is good then I could defend a purchase up to $150 or so. Slight preference for something I can get at a big box store like Best Buy, but we do have Amazon Prime if needed.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Grundulum posted:

I have a several-years-old router that routinely cuts access to the wireless network. Like, I will be working online and suddenly my laptop says “no internet connection” and I’m shown as disconnected from both the 2.4 and 5G networks. Power cycling the router resolves the issue, until it happens again. It was exceptionally bad last night: I had maybe 6 minutes of connectivity over an entire hour. It does not seem to be only my laptop—other devices in the apartment show the same behavior, though not always at the same time. Some devices seem almost totally unaffected by it.

I suppose I have two questions related to this:
(1) Is the probable issue something that can be fixed without buying a new router? The OP, out of date as it is, mentions overheating as a possible issue for routers. If so, maybe moving the router would improve reliability?
(2) If the real fix is buying a new router, what are the current thread favorites? Cheaper is better all else equal, but if the quality is good then I could defend a purchase up to $150 or so. Slight preference for something I can get at a big box store like Best Buy, but we do have Amazon Prime if needed.

I've had very reliable performance with the TP-LINK AX3000 (AX50) as a Wifi6 access point. Looks like BestBuy stocks a newer model of that https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-archer-ax3000-pro-dual-band-wi-fi-6-router-black/6502056.p?skuId=6502056

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Apologies if this has been answered recently, but I’m begging a CGNAT, effectively double nated. I’d really like to tunnel into my network, check on my octopi, get to plex, a nas, and play with home assistant. Options I’ve looked at are CloudFlare zero trust tunnel, and a few other tunneling services. I have concerns about how welll they’d play with Plex long term as well as just in general wanting to make sure my connection is secure. The other option I see if upgrading to a business connection with a static IP. Bout a $20/mo upgrade for me.

Any other ideas? I’m hardly a networking master.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Tailscale is what you need and is free for personal use. Super easy to set up. Not so sure about the bandwidth limitations if you are looking to stream plex, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You can also use headscale to host your own orchestration software that tailscale connects to.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

8 port gigabit switch for $15 today . Says it supports jumbo frames maybe , wirespeed . I have a few of these as problem solvers or whatever , for the price why not .

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My Edgerouters seem to finally be dying, so they're getting replaced.

Didn't PFSense say they were migrating to a Linux kernel at some point or was it a different router software?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
pfsense did some shady poo poo with wireguard, I’d go opnsense

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My Edgerouters seem to finally be dying, so they're getting replaced.

Didn't PFSense say they were migrating to a Linux kernel at some point or was it a different router software?
The company behind pfSense also produce TNSR.
TNSR is a DPDK-based appliance, so it's not really using the Linux kernel for the networking part and thereby doesn't have to suffer its inferior performance when it comes to networking.

e.pilot posted:

pfsense did some shady poo poo with wireguard, I’d go opnsense
For what it's worth, WireGuard is back in FreeBSDs base system again, and in addition to being a downstream product from Jasons repo, it can take advantage of crypto(9).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i want to use an old tp-link c7 router as a basic wireless access point for some ancient powerline connection. since the last firmware is from something like 2015, what's the most straightforward thing to flash it with to set up something fairly idiotproof that can update itself?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I'm having something similar going on - I had comcast xfinity for years, constant issues with it, went through multiple routers, wifi cards, different devices (pc, laptops, phones), just sucked. But I could get about 7-10 mbps down on torrents once they got rolling.

Got att fiber put in two days ago.

First day: amazing, speedtest from inside the house showing like 700 mbps. Oddly, couldn't torrent for poo poo - max I could get was about 750 kbps. Didn't worry much about it, stopped torrents.
Earlier today, down around 300. Downloaded some large mods for games direct from website, could not get over 750 kbps again.
Figured had to be the gateway, so got out the archer a7, plugged it into the att gateway with an ethernet cable that worked fine for xfinity modem -> router; changed firewall settings to passthrough, set the router dns to 1.1.1.1, turned wifi off on the att gateway.

Now i'm getting speedtests in the low single digit mbps. 2.5 down ,1.5 up on a test in browser; 4 down, 1.5 up in a test using the windows program from ookla.

What the gently caress?

edit: took an old laptop to the gateway/router, unplugged the router, reset the gateway settings to default
wired test, then wireless test
come the gently caress on

Have you tried different cables?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah that sounds like you have a faulty cable end (or, rarely, ethernet port itself, though i've only encountered this on one switch ever and it was lovely and cheap) somewhere on that path for sure

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have an opnSense box deployed at my brother's house as a router. He has cable and a good (for US at least) internet package (1 Gbps/30 Mbps). I would like to be able to watch the cable he pays for from my house in the fall (college football). If I made a VPN that makes traffic look like it comes from his house I would probably be able to use the cable company's TV app (Cox Contour), right? I've asked him about this arrangement and he says he is fine with it.

Second option: put an HDMI splitter on the cable box connected to the TV that he uses to watch football. I would be stuck watching the same game he watches, but that is better than only having access to CBS/ABC broadcasts (I don't like Notre Dame (NBC) and Fox doesn't come in over the antenna at my house). This would involve an HDMI splitter, a USB capture device, and probably running opnSense (for routing) and some Linux flavor (for streaming the input from HDMI) in some kind of host OS, right? I don't think I would necessarily need to set up VPN for this, would I?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, getting around region locks for streaming content is a very popular use of paid VPN services.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PBCrunch posted:

I have an opnSense box deployed at my brother's house as a router. He has cable and a good (for US at least) internet package (1 Gbps/30 Mbps). I would like to be able to watch the cable he pays for from my house in the fall (college football). If I made a VPN that makes traffic look like it comes from his house I would probably be able to use the cable company's TV app (Cox Contour), right? I've asked him about this arrangement and he says he is fine with it.

Second option: put an HDMI splitter on the cable box connected to the TV that he uses to watch football. I would be stuck watching the same game he watches, but that is better than only having access to CBS/ABC broadcasts (I don't like Notre Dame (NBC) and Fox doesn't come in over the antenna at my house). This would involve an HDMI splitter, a USB capture device, and probably running opnSense (for routing) and some Linux flavor (for streaming the input from HDMI) in some kind of host OS, right? I don't think I would necessarily need to set up VPN for this, would I?

possibly, it would depend how the box routes stuff

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

I think you are going to run into a problem with the upload speed for your second option. I have an HD Homerun with my antenna and on 40Mbps upload and it doesn't run very well. Before i moved to my new house I had 1000 Mbps upload and could stream it fine.

Does Cox Contour get app login options? Could you login through CBS sports and ESPN/ABC apps with his account. That would probably be the easiest way. If they need you to be at his home your best bet would maybe be setting up a Tailscale network or a Wireguard VPN.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
if you could pipe the splitter into OBS and compress it a bit that’d work fine, but that’s getting pretty janky

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I honestly don't really care about the quality. Being able to watch ESPN games at all would be a win. Half the time I would be using it I would be screwing around in the garage watching it on the TV in there.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

his 30mbps upload would get thrashed. you will need to encode it at 8mbps or 5 to be safe. Never had a good time dealing with streaming video on a 30mbps connection, even if the quality was safely in the 20mbps with CBR

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I never known streaming sports to break 10mb/s though. I think you'd have plenty of bandwidth for TV.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Last night I discovered my L3 switch wasn't applying ACLs to IPv6 at all. Thankfully the reason is if IPv6 is disabled on an interface it won't apply ACLs, which just allows IPv6 traffic within that VLAN, but no routing between them.

Still, scared the poo poo out of me for a minute there. Don't forget to verify what your default behavior is if you don't apply an ACL! It might not always be deny...

Speaking of IPv6... Mediacom apparently provides a /56, and opnsense now supports NPTv6 dynamically adjusting the external prefix to match the delegated prefix! Hot diggity daffodil. Just have to find a few spare hundred hours to mess around with it.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 28, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RoboBoogie posted:

Have you tried different cables?

No, I went to sleep on it and by the next morning it magically fixed itself and has had zero issues since.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I honestly don't really care about the quality. Being able to watch ESPN games at all would be a win. Half the time I would be using it I would be screwing around in the garage watching it on the TV in there.

Just use his cable company login to sign in to the ESPN app or whatever. Will work and be much simpler than whatever solution you are trying to come up with.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I recently got a new Internet connection to my home. A 1gigabit fibre connection (from Virgin Media if that matters).

Next to their hub/router thing (which is WiFi 6) I can comfortably get about 800 to 900 megabit depending on the WiFi 6 device connected (like my phone).

Across my home over got two to-link re605x WiFi extenders which are also supposed to be WiFi 6 as far as I was aware.

Except, on each of these there's only a 2.5 and 5ghz option and i can only get a maximum speed of about 300megabit from them on the 5ghz connection.

On the extender that's closest to the router, I have my main pc hooked up to it via ethernet and that can pull a steady 900 to 1000 megabits from it.

Is there maybe an option im missing in those extenders or is it that the specs are misleading? Ie. they can connect to and take in a WiFi 6 signal but can only output the full speed on ethernet, while the WiFi is WiFi 5 at best?

I can't think of another reason why the same extender would be able to pass on pretty much the full connection speed via ethernet otherwise.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
If the extender has one radio, wireless client bandwidth would instantly be cut in half, because it would need to use the same radio for the uplink as it does to talk to a wireless client.

WiFi 6 is 5 ghz, just to be clear. 6E adds the 6 ghz band.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ah, thanks for the pointer, just did a quick search on amazon and it's come back with tri band products for 6e.

Those will be what I'm actually after to get the full (ish) speed across WiFi right?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Kin posted:

Ah, thanks for the pointer, just did a quick search on amazon and it's come back with tri band products for 6e.

Those will be what I'm actually after to get the full (ish) speed across WiFi right?

Are you sure there the router from your ISP is also WiFi 6E? Even so, the devices will need to dedicate one of the radios to backhaul, and I’m not too sure that’s a possible setting on the extenders.

You can buy mesh systems like the Orbi that will do what you are wanting to do, but also, do you need those higher speeds for all your devices? If you can hardwire your computer to the extender, is that sufficient?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chasing maximum wifi speeds will just lead down a path to madness. My opinion, take it for what you will, is you want to focus on reliability and solid connectivity more than speed for wireless devices.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

VMs 1gig router (hub 5) is WiFi 6, not 6e sadly. It does 'only' 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz
Nice to have 2.5gbe port on it tho
(just got the same last week (£40pm)

Oh yeah, I changed the channels from auto to manual to get a less congested space and it seemed to improve it. Probably placebo, but I'll take it.
Very happy with it overall though. 350mb for 39 quid or 1G for 40 was an easy decision

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 2, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you actually want to get close to gig wifi speeds everywhere, have fun running Ethernet uplinks for APs and managing their channels for minimal interference

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Adolf Glitter posted:

VMs 1gig router (hub 5) is WiFi 6, not 6e sadly. It does 'only' 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz
Nice to have 2.5gbe port on it tho
(just got the same last week (£40pm)

Oh yeah, I changed the channels from auto to manual to get a less congested space and it seemed to improve it. Probably placebo, but I'll take it.
Very happy with it overall though. 350mb for 39 quid or 1G for 40 was an easy decision

Ah, I'm a bit confused then because my phone (Galaxy S21) definitely can get about 800-900mbit over WiFi from the hub 5 (depending on distance). I assumed all other WiFi 6 devices would be the same.

Virgin installed the router at the front of the house but the main living space is at the back which has game consoles (ps5) and stuff that would be nice to get faster speeds for too.

Running ethernet to all of them isn't really an option due to the layout of the room/plugs etc.

Basically if I'm paying for the max speed package (£70 pcm) I kinda want most devices in the house to access it if possible.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Not sure what speeds I actually get now on WiFi as everything is on 2.5gbe ethernet except my (only WiFi 5) phone, and whatever devices visitors have.
I know most people prefer WiFi, but I find it to be a pain

Would it help if the box was moved? If so, then they will do it for £25.
I was considering adding more coax* to the router since the guy left none extra before loving off quickly before I could ask.
Seriously, there's only about a foot of it, I can't even move it to hide it.

Anyway, while looking at the cable specs I came across posts on their forum saying not to extend it yourself as they only charge £25 (used to be £99) for a non-fault call out. Probably works out cheaper than them having to diagnose problems due to self installed extensions.

*their next big upgrade will be 5G and use actual fibre to the premises.

-edit-
Are you paying 70 for TV and stuff too or just the broadband? If it's the latter then maybe haggle with them as I, and others, have it for 40 for 18 months

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 3, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The Galaxy s21 is a flagship phone that you can test with a clear LOS and get big numbers on a speed test. It’s a pretty misleading way to to set your expectations for other devices.

If running cables and moving the router isn’t possible, take this as a lesson that you don’t need to pay for the 1g and reduce it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
With the vm stuff you’d be better off sticking the virgin box into modem mode and using something else instead. I’ve never used their actual kit as a router and I def wouldn’t be using it on a gigabit connection.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Adolf Glitter posted:

Not sure what speeds I actually get now on WiFi as everything is on 2.5gbe ethernet except my (only WiFi 5) phone, and whatever devices visitors have.
I know most people prefer WiFi, but I find it to be a pain

Would it help if the box was moved? If so, then they will do it for £25.
I was considering adding more coax* to the router since the guy left none extra before loving off quickly before I could ask.
Seriously, there's only about a foot of it, I can't even move it to hide it.

Anyway, while looking at the cable specs I came across posts on their forum saying not to extend it yourself as they only charge £25 (used to be £99) for a non-fault call out. Probably works out cheaper than them having to diagnose problems due to self installed extensions.

*their next big upgrade will be 5G and use actual fibre to the premises.

-edit-
Are you paying 70 for TV and stuff too or just the broadband? If it's the latter then maybe haggle with them as I, and others, have it for 40 for 18 months

They were supposed to be booking an appointment y come back and fit it in a better location because they didn't bring enough cable the first time.

I've not chased yet as I wanted to try an option that didn't involve running cables along loads of walls to get the router in the middle of the house.

It's the package with the TV though (which also includes a few other things that make the £70 kinda worth it), though its supposed to jump up to £150 a something after my contract expires and I'm definitely not paying that.

I didn't realise the s21 was still flagship. I've had it for 2 years or so now and it was out for a little while before that too.

Still, I get that it's a newer piece of kit, capable of getting the high speeds over WiFi. I just assumed that dedicated "WiFi 6" extendenters from tp-link and stuff like a ps5 would be able to get those higher speeds too.

And that the extenders could spit out more than just a quarter of the total speed it's throwing out via ethernet.

Kin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 3, 2023

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I reckon, for the sake of your sanity, the best way to think of fast stuff like 1G fibre, and WiFi 6 etc isn't so much the top speed, but more being able to have multiple things going (still fast) at the same time. Downloading some Linux isos, streaming a few 4k films and a big ps5 game patch in the background without it bothering all the other ones
Assuming that's working fine for you of course
They usually market it as that too. In fact, when I upgraded they were confused why a single person wanted 1G. Until she looked at my usage stats lmao.
I think the marketing is overselling it all a bit too.
Wifi7 will hopefully give better results, welp

Best of luck either way mate

Nice enough price if you have telly too by the way. The full prices are mental. They wanted 70 odd just for the broadband before I negotiated. Mental

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 3, 2023

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah, that's a good way of looking at it actually.

I was just looking forward to seeing the 60GB+ PS5 downloads coming down in less than 10 minutes.

For some reason, Steam gets throttled to ~300mbit on my PC that's connected via ethernet (speedtest still gets 900+Mbit). So I don't get to see the connection work its magic on there either.

It was a black Friday deal with Netflix and all the movie/sports channels included too (as well as an O2 sim card that I didn't actually need) so a lot of stuff all things considered. Not enough to justify the full price they're wanting for it though so hopefully I'll be able to wangle a deal when it comes to renewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm hoping the thread can help me figure this out.

My home network starts with an Arris SB8200. My ISP is Cox Communications. The Internet has been going out for 10-15 seconds several times an hour for the past week. When I factory reset my cable mobem, I enter the default username and password ("admin" and "the last 8 digits of the device serial number"). So far so good.

It then brings me to a page to update the password from the default. It says it must be 8-20 characters, with at least 1 uppercase letter, 1 lowercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. No matter what I use, an error message is returned that says, "The device failed to update the password. Please try again on next login."

Has anyone experienced this before, or have any ideas how to resolve it? The Arris tech on their online chat is giving me such great advice as, "It must be a glitch on the webpage" and needs me to point out that the admin console webpage is hosted on the SB8200.

Help me, goons, you're my only hope.