Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Kingtheninja posted:

Does anyone know how the summon ranking works in final bar line? I've got a couple different ones on the demo but the symbols aren't really clicking for me (one is silver level 1, another gold level 1 or 2) and I haven't found a tool tip for it yet.

I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean the three hexagonal slots next to the summon name? Those are just ranks for your different random bonus on your summon (such as item drop rate, trigger damage bonus and whatnot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

OneMoreTime posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean the three hexagonal slots next to the summon name? Those are just ranks for your different random bonus on your summon (such as item drop rate, trigger damage bonus and whatnot.)

Yeah that's what I meant, assumed it was some rarity indication. What you said makes way more sense! So far I've got Shiva, ramuh, Phoenix and knights.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leal posted:

I liked Stormblood because I got to hang out with my bro, Raubahn

My title has been set to Raubahn's Left Arm since I earned it.

Him and Pipin are my bros.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Pipin is one of only a handful of lalafells who should not be put to the sword

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah that's what I meant, assumed it was some rarity indication. What you said makes way more sense! So far I've got Shiva, ramuh, Phoenix and knights.

I think the color is tied to the rarity of the ability on the summon but not the summon itself (e.g., gold are "better" or bigger boosts compared to silver)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
happy birthday ff8

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

My title has been set to Raubahn's Left Arm since I earned it.

Him and Pipin are my bros.

Just FYI Pipin's hobbies include hard liquor if you wanted more reasons to like him.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is there any other local co-op for theatrhythm that's not the "pair play" using a single controller? It's really awkward to both hold on to the same controller and the function seems broken anyway since it still seems you can hit any note with any button anywhere on the controller regardless of what staff line it's on?? Always looking for games that Fridgelina and I can play together and shes interested in this one, but local co-op as it seems is both uncomfortable and broken?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

happy birthday ff8

Whatever else you can say about it, it's a beautiful game. Looking at the animations after FFVII, it's a world of improement.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gologle posted:

Pipin is one of only a handful of lalafells who should not be put to the sword

I mean this is kind of a odd standard since a lot of major Lalafell characters are on the Syndicate who should be guillotined for reasons unrelated to being popotoes.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Y’all have bad opinions about FFXIV Heavensward had Steps of Faith and there is no coming back from that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PuttyKnife posted:

Y’all have bad opinions about FFXIV Heavensward had Steps of Faith and there is no coming back from that.

But Steps of Faith led to Final Steps of Faith, which was one of the best trials on the entire series.

Also, wasn't Steps of Faith like one of the final things you did in ARR?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think the color is tied to the rarity of the ability on the summon but not the summon itself (e.g., gold are "better" or bigger boosts compared to silver)

Correct. A summon is a summon with whatever hidden stats it has (I can sometimes squeeze two Shivas into a fight where Alexander only pops near the end for example, and who knows what damage they're doing) but each summon can have up to three random bonuses, and the strength of those bonuses is shown by the color of the badge.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Oh god I'm so stupid. I didnt realise there was a toggle to switch between standard, simple, and pair charts haha. Okay this is better but still wish we could use two separate controllers

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PuttyKnife posted:

Steps of Faith was in A Realm Reborn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They also changed it recently i think?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They also changed it recently i think?

It's no long a trial at all, I think it's just a solo instance now? Same with Cape Westwind

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

To be fair I think Endwalker is the weakest standalone ff14 ost given

1. So much of the story relied on nostalgia for previous entries and their theme songs
2. Soken was very ill during Endwalker development

Shadowbringers ost is probably on its own one of the best ff soundtracks

Wasn't Soken already ill during Shadowbringers? I thought To The Edge was written after he was diagnosed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Epi Lepi posted:

Wasn't Soken already ill during Shadowbringers? I thought To The Edge was written after he was diagnosed.

It was during ShB this person doesn't know what they're talking about lol.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

fridge corn posted:

Oh god I'm so stupid. I didnt realise there was a toggle to switch between standard, simple, and pair charts haha. Okay this is better but still wish we could use two separate controllers
You absolutely can use separate controllers for pair play, played it all last weekend with a friend. There wasn’t like any setting or anything he just turned on the controller and logged in and it worked. Hope you figure it out! Pair play is a blast

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
FF5PR again. I'm seeing confusing conflicting information - does a Mimic automatically inherit Barehanded if the character has mastered Monk, or must it be equipped?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Just tested it in 1.08, got both the same stats and the same punch damage ranges as MNK and as Mimic with no skills equipped.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mime inherits passives just like Freelancer (except for Berserk from the Berserker for obvious reasons).

I forget if that includes the "Equip X" abilities since obviously Freelancer doesn't care about those.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mega64 posted:

happy birthday ff8

the only main line game I've never even started

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You should, it’s real good

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Mime inherits passives just like Freelancer (except for Berserk from the Berserker for obvious reasons).

I forget if that includes the "Equip X" abilities since obviously Freelancer doesn't care about those.

It doesn't, at least not in the sense of actually being able to equip x.

Not sure whether the stats are special-cased for Mimic, Equip X has a passive (stats) and pseudoactive (gear) component as one skill, or Equip X special-cases on a separate unnamed passive skill for the stats, but does it really matter?

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 12, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mandoric posted:

Just tested it in 1.08, got both the same stats and the same punch damage ranges as MNK and as Mimic with no skills equipped.

:yeah:

I knew Mimics didn't get Equip X but Barehanded is an odd one because it's kinda "Equip Fist" but also it's an innate. Some sources said it passes on because it's an innate, others said it's an exception and must be equipped, and the couple of different releases of FF5 over the years probably didn't help clear confusion. Happy to hear in FF5PR it's inherited though. Gonna make Bartz a drunken master !Drink !Rapid fire mimic with !Blue added on.

Is there a point to !Drink over !Mix actually? I want !Drink for the level and HP boost drinks that should synergize with fist damage and Blue magic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there a point to !Drink over !Mix actually? I want !Drink for the level and HP boost drinks that should synergize with fist damage and Blue magic.

The big thing is that some of what !Drink gets for cheap at a store !Mix has to grind drops for, and sometimes an elixir.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh is there an ff8 bonus if i log into theatrhythm

5 more days...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Vitamean posted:

Playing more of the Theatrhythm demo, I've gotten more comfortable playing with the triggers and sticks, but it makes the controller just a tad uncomfortable to hold for long period of time since my index fingers are constantly resting on the shoulder buttons while also trying to keep the thumb sticks covered.

but

what if

you had a spare $200 dollars

it turns out the back buttons are cool but also being able to adjust the trigger travel distance also rocks hard. I like using the triggers for long strings of single notes coming in rapidly.

would not recommend buying a $200 controller just for this game though

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Finished the Theatrhytm demo. I have it ordered now. Rude of them to make me wait.

Are you actually able to finish all the quests or are some of them like unobtainable in the demo? I've tried on a few of them a few times each and can't seem to get too close.

Edit: Reddit says yes but you have to grind some items and get things pretty perfect. Not sure if I care enough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Theatrhythm/comments/10rgnaj/can_we_complete_all_the_quest_in_the_demo/

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 12, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If I'm buying a 200 dollar controller it would be for fighting games.

If only they had some other input thing besides analog directions that could work on a fightpad lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Vitamean posted:

the only main line game I've never even started

It’s really good! If you like card games and abusing game mechanics to turn your low-level characters into absolute killing machines. The game is broken as hell. Also the plot makes no sense after disc 1 and only a couple of the characters have actual personalities. But it’s good!

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I'm buying a 200 dollar controller it would be for fighting games.

If only they had some other input thing besides analog directions that could work on a fightpad lol

I'm debating on making a mini double stick setup for my switch, haven't looked at how the arcade versions are mapped but I'm having a ton of fun and seems like an easy project.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

When I started LR, I thought it was cool that they included her costume from XIII. But then I equipped it and saw they increased the size of the little gap in her costume so they can show off her midriff. Really weird stuff for that character.

That was always there.

FFXIII:

Lightning Returns:

I kinda wish they'd added costumes based on each of the FFXIII and XIII-2 protagonists. That would've been fun.

I like that Lightning Returns doesn't have XP - there's no penalty to skipping battles (although the game really wants me to spend time fighting Dryads, God those suck.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tried to make Ultima work in FF2 and it kind of sort of does in the pixel remaster if you force a character from start to finish work on it.

It is still pointless cause gently caress if I know how you'd beat the final boss in this version without the blood sword and all other damage is irrelevant.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Boy of Joy posted:

You absolutely can use separate controllers for pair play, played it all last weekend with a friend. There wasn’t like any setting or anything he just turned on the controller and logged in and it worked. Hope you figure it out! Pair play is a blast

Lol thanks. After finding the pair play chart toggle I completely forgot about switching the single controller pair play off in the settings lol. Works a treat now! :D

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Still thinking about how you can literally 2-shot the Emperor in FFII without any grinding or real tricks beyond "Get Blood Sword and Berserk"

Even Yu Yevon took more than two rounds to kill

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Personally my favorite Mateus kill is casting a low level Reflect spell on him so that Toad always connects and kills him due to oversights, that’s just me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Isn’t the easiest way to beat Mateus just berserk with a sleep blade?