Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

For some reason Metroid Prime is very relaxing to me.

Something about how all the elements come together is zen-like.

Same, I sat down to play it tonight and it just feels super soothing. It's got a great flow state of getting gear, checking the map for new rooms to visit, poking around corners for item upgrades, etc.

The remaster looks and plays so good, it's easily one of the best looking games on Switch. I don't know how they got it looking this good and locked to 60fps, if the answer is "because it's a GameCube game with new assets" then maybe they should design more games with GameCube benchmarks in mind :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
finished prime remaster earlier, incredible makeover for an incredible game

now, where's 2

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Inzombiac posted:

For some reason Metroid Prime is very relaxing to me.

Something about how all the elements come together is zen-like.

It's such a perfectly balanced game. You're isolated, but it's not scary because you're protected and competent. There's a natural urge to get your poo poo back and escape, but there's no actual ticking clock. You're shooting bad guys, but you're spending equal time reading data logs or studying your map

it takes the traditional Metroid Formula and slows it down by about 33%. In SM and its kin there's not a single moment where I'm not jumping around like a maniac and firing my cannon in every direction. In MP1 I'm carefully picking my way through ruins and ignoring enemies if they aren't bothering me

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Looper posted:

finished prime remaster earlier, incredible makeover for an incredible game

now, where's 2

It's better than I ever imagined, I thought at best we'd get like an upressed Prime Trilogy rerelease with joystick controls. This looks and plays just like a nostalgic memory, I'm so impressed with the new graphics and lighting, and they keep the feel of the original game so well that I'd swear it was just upressed until looking at screenshots of the original and realizing how much work they did.

Even the good rereleases Nintendo's done in the past had stuff you could quibble with (they completely changed the lighting engine in Wind Waker HD for example), or were just straight upressed ports like the 3D Mario collection. Prime Remastered is incredible. I'm so happy with it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Metroid Prime Remastered is 7th of all time highest rated Switch game. Seems a bit low.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can absolutely see how MP influenced a game like Destiny, but goddamn, that triple jump from Destiny sure would help here. The double jump just doesn't seem like enough sometimes :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

widespread posted:

There's a mod for Sunshine called Super Mario SunBurn. Main features include the ability to go into different stages from other stages (though gently caress the Bianco Hills to Pianta Village path if it's the path I'm thinking of), Shines don't kick you out of the level, and some extra stages.

Also some poo poo about the ability to long jump idk

Does it also let you tilt the camera up? I can't get over how claustrophobic the camera makes me feel. The whole having to stop and go into first person poo poo is also really awkward.

I reckon the camera being limited has to do with system limitations. I would like Mario 64 and Sunshine to just have Odyssey camera controls. It's academic though, as I currently have no way to play emulations or mods.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

pwn posted:

Does it also let you tilt the camera up? I can't get over how claustrophobic the camera makes me feel. The whole having to stop and go into first person poo poo is also really awkward.

I reckon the camera being limited has to do with system limitations. I would like Mario 64 and Sunshine to just have Odyssey camera controls. It's academic though, as I currently have no way to play emulations or mods.

Not sure if it does. But then again, I'm one of the weird ones where I don't think about looking up in a stage usually so :shrug:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The weirdest thing to me about Metroid Prime when I play it now is I really expect to be able to teleport from one save point to another. But nope, Samus has to backtrack through all the areas.

Also I am bad at this giant plant fight. I know I beat this game on the GameCube, but that was a more spry me, evidently.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

nom epique posted:

How does the Nintendo bucks at Costco work. They’re like 80 bucks for 100 worth of Ninty bucks. Was thinking to use them to cop two games but can they be used for that?

You pay the cash and get 2x$50 of credit, which can actually be used across Switch, 3ds, and WiiU assuming you've linked the same account for all of them.

You can immediately turn that $100 credit into two Switch vouchers each worth the purchase of a major first party release (plus some assorted third party games).

In other words, for $80, you can get $100 of stuff or convert to vouchers first for $120+ of stuff. It's a neat situation.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chronojam posted:

You pay the cash and get 2x$50 of credit, which can actually be used across Switch, 3ds, and WiiU assuming you've linked the same account for all of them.

You can immediately turn that $100 credit into two Switch vouchers each worth the purchase of a major first party release (plus some assorted third party games).

In other words, for $80, you can get $100 of stuff or convert to vouchers first for $120+ of stuff. It's a neat situation.

That’s if you’re ok buying things digitally. There’s certain games I prefer getting physically knowing that I’ll be trading them in again. I did that with Pokémon and didn’t regret it. I’ll do it with Mario 3D world and Skyward Sword too. Forgotten Land is honestly probably one of those titles unless you’re a Kirby mega-fan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rageaholic posted:

I can absolutely see how MP influenced a game like Destiny, but goddamn, that triple jump from Destiny sure would help here. The double jump just doesn't seem like enough sometimes :(

Keep playing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
F-Zero GX Remastered please

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

Does adding outside games to your Steam directory let you download them to the Deck?

Cause honestly I can't imagine many Nintendo games compatible with Steam that are crossplay and not merely cross save besides those four.

The deck is running a version of Linux. There are workarounds for most games, but anything from an exclusive storefront that's not GoG (Microsoft Store, Epic Store, Battle.net) doesn't quite work.

For Minecraft, unless you want an older version of the android port, it's a no go (unless you install windows). Epic games you can download and install but their online functionality doesn't work, since Epic uses some sort of anticheat system that doesn't conform to linux, or faking a Windows environment in linux, which is sort of what's going on with games when they run on the Steam deck.

Rocket League, however, is still going through steam for previous owners of it, including myself. If I had to rely on the epic store to play it, I couldn't.

Anyway, tl;dr - unless it's officially on Steam or available completely separately from storefronts, the deck can't really play it online unless you install windows, and I'm not doing that.

To your second point, there are actually quite a number of cross platform games between steam and switch that play nicely, but I'm looking for a list, from those specific games, that can do couch co-op on the Switch as well. Rocket League does it (two players split screen, and then whomever you want to get online), but something like Minecraft Dungeons, which you'd think WOULD do that, doesn't. The moment you decide to play that game online via the Switch, that's it; you can't add a second player on that system. Same with Spelunky 2.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Mega64 posted:

F-Zero GX Remastered please

Yeah that's an obvious answer to "what other GameCube game could get a $40 remaster" question. Let a whole new generation of people experience the joys of racing against MEGACOCK.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jet Jaguar posted:

The weirdest thing to me about Metroid Prime when I play it now is I really expect to be able to teleport from one save point to another.

that would suck

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah that's an obvious answer to "what other GameCube game could get a $40 remaster" question. Let a whole new generation of people experience the joys of racing against MEGACOCK.

Put a DLC in the store to unlock the AX courses and I'll buy it, because there's no way my old man reflexes can do Story Mode again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Augus posted:

that would suck

No it wouldn't. I don't have time for all this poo poo.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Put a DLC in the store to unlock the AX courses and I'll buy it, because there's no way my old man reflexes can do Story Mode again.

AX Courses was beat every Cup in Master Mode. Which is hard, but not straight up bullshit.
You got the AX Racers by beating Story Mode on Very Hard, and that was the straight up bullshit.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
beating gx story mode on very hard is my gaming white whale

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Why IS the FZero franchise locked up away in The Nintendo Dungeon anyway? Ive never actually heard a plausible explaination as to why there arent new games but Ive never havent ever looked into it. Do they just want to focus on Mario Kart as their flagship racing game or were the FZero games financial flops or...? I suppose if a new one is in the pipeline, we will absolutely never hear about it.

goes without saying itt, but Ive been thinking a lot lately about how modern Nintendo's always had this weird dichotomy between niche toy company and big rear end tech company and one of their bizarre trademarks is that, as a corporation, they seem to be absolutely madly in loooove with the idea of zero communication until literally the last possible moment and then springing poo poo on people, like what just happened with Metroid Prime. gotcha!!!! :confused:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Got home at 3am from a bar shift on Friday night and drunkenly bought Prime and then promptly fell asleep on the sofa while it was downloading. Played it on Saturday afternoon before working at the bar again, now I have a lazy relaxing Sunday with nothing but the game and some laundry to do. Game very good.

I’m playing it with the classic controls and at first wondered if I was being intentionally obtuse by doing so, but I’ve switched back to the new controls a couple of times and it feels weird now I’m used to the classic controls again - the game was definitely built around them, with platforming in particular feeling much easier because of the perspective auto-levelling. Also having full control of the camera while running around kinda makes the game feel more intense and FPS-like when it’s supposed to be slower paced, and having to stop and look around really helps you to soak the environment in.

If Prime 4 looked like this no-one would have any complaints, it’s gorgeous. Some new minor quibbles I have with the game after 20 years experience are that I wish you could drop pins on the map (a la Hollow Knight) for currently unreachable stuff, and I wish save rooms had some first person in-engine animation rather than the message pop-up that kinda takes me out of the moment.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I read somewhere that it's considered less risky to publish a game of a franchise from recent memory than to attempt a sequel to something from 20 years ago

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

wizard2 posted:

Why IS the FZero franchise locked up away in The Nintendo Dungeon anyway? Ive never actually heard a plausible explaination as to why there arent new games but Ive never havent ever looked into it. Do they just want to focus on Mario Kart as their flagship racing game or were the FZero games financial flops or...? I suppose if a new one is in the pipeline, we will absolutely never hear about it.

goes without saying itt, but Ive been thinking a lot lately about how modern Nintendo's always had this weird dichotomy between niche toy company and big rear end tech company and one of their bizarre trademarks is that, as a corporation, they seem to be absolutely madly in loooove with the idea of zero communication until literally the last possible moment and then springing poo poo on people, like what just happened with Metroid Prime. gotcha!!!! :confused:

I loved using the red gazelle and playing that mode where you had to murk all of the other cars as fast as possible. I got really good at yeeting opponents off the track with those side bashes and spinning attacks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
After years in storage and suffering through a minor basement flood, I pulled out my N64 for the first time in a long while. Had to perform some repairs on it (and my copy of Shadow of the Empire) but finally got it working again.(I forgot how desolate the stage design in Shadows is, but goddamn I couldn’t put it down and ran through the first half of it like I was back in high school.) I sold most of my other games for it off long ago, so all I have right now is Shadows and Rogue Squadron. So, I went looking for some and stumbled on a decently priced copy of Paper Mario, a game I never actually played despite having three different copies of SMRPG. I look forward to finally getting a chance to run through it, and on the original system. :)

On a completely different topic, I’m running through Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and somehow the camera has shifted to floating basically right up my point character’s rear end and I can’t for the life of me get it to back off so I can actually survey the goddamn battlefield. Any tips?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

wizard2 posted:

The only thing I heard about that was from an interview way back (I think around the Wii U times) where they said that Mario Kart 8 was very early on set to be a F-Zero game. I think they said that they couldn't think of anything "special" (new gimmick I guess) to put in a new F-Zero that would differentiate it from the other ones.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Then they should add more F-Zero tracks to Mario Kart :mad:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

wizard2 posted:

To be perfectly honest, it probably has something to do with Mario Kart 8 being in the spotlight for the last like, almost decade now.
On the other hand, Dread and the Bayo games show Nintendo has no problems backing up more niche, “hardcore” games as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think F Zero isn’t getting much play as it was the niche of the niche. Like unless it’s the pet project of one of the higher ups I don’t see F zero really coming back or much of a reason for it to even be on the radar

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pooch516 posted:

The only thing I heard about that was from an interview way back (I think around the Wii U times) where they said that Mario Kart 8 was very early on set to be a F-Zero game. I think they said that they couldn't think of anything "special" (new gimmick I guess) to put in a new F-Zero that would differentiate it from the other ones.

I think it was even more recent that that; there was a dev only a few years ago who said that, yeah, they didn't have anything special to add to a new F-Zero game.

Meanwhile, literally all F-Zero fans, myself included, are just reading that thinking "fuckin' SO?!? Did Smash Ultimate do anything significantly different than "... but now there's more!"?

Just give us the ludicrously fast space race game, Nintendo.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 12, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Haha I just remembered in Prime after you beat the omega pirate, he suddenly topples over and squishes Samus, lol. Can't wait for the 22nd, I should have the dead space remake finished by then

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Meanwhile, literally all F-Zero fans, myself included, are just reading that thinking "fuckin' SO?!? Did Smash Ultimate do anything significantly different than "... but now there's more!"?

Yeah but F-Zero doesn't have a competitive pro league for Nintendo to pull the rug out from under whenever they feel like.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Waffle! posted:

Yeah but F-Zero doesn't have a competitive pro league for Nintendo to pull the rug out from under whenever they feel like.

But they COULD! Think of the possibilities!

Also, I'd love a campaign mode where you have to get sponsors and all that, except these are all Futuristic Space Sponsors. And you get to put their godawful logo art all over your racer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have never played Metroid PRime before and it epicly pwns when a game is exactly as good as the fans have always said it is. idk why there aren't like 500 games exactly like this

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The deck is running a version of Linux. There are workarounds for most games, but anything from an exclusive storefront that's not GoG (Microsoft Store, Epic Store, Battle.net) doesn't quite work.

Stuff on battle net (as long as it's blizzards games) works great actually. I've been playing overwatch on my Linux rig for years now.

For your general problem though, this should help

https://crossplaygames.com/crossplay?p1=nintendo-switch&p2=steam-pc

Now you still need to check those games against protondb, cos stuff like dead by daylight is crossplay, but it's anticheat won't work on the steam deck, but apex legends which also has anti cheat will work for example. So don't just right off every competitive multiplayer.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have never played Metroid PRime before and it epicly pwns when a game is exactly as good as the fans have always said it is. idk why there aren't like 500 games exactly like this

I completely agree. I felt the same when I played Symphony of the Night on the Deck a month or so ago. (There's a game that needs to be on the Switch. I will totally buy it and play it again if it is. PLEASE.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
even by 2002 i remember most FPSes having more cutscenes or at least a "radio guy" to yell plot at you so it pwns how bare-bones everything is in Prime so far, just flavor text and log entries.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Once rammer technology catches up to Nintendo's vision, F-zero will come back

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

I completely agree. I felt the same when I played Symphony of the Night on the Deck a month or so ago. (There's a game that needs to be on the Switch. I will totally buy it and play it again if it is. PLEASE.)

I've 200%ed Symphony of the Night once and 100%ed it several other times. I am definitely enough of a sucker to buy it again. Heck, just hook it up to my veins already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Actually here's your new twist, Nintendo. Make it a prequel, call it F-Zer0