Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

therobit posted:

I don’t know about clear but Pre-check and Global Entry also require you answer a bunch of questions and that they check you out from a security standpoint ahead of time and the theory is that you are less of a risk, so you don’t have to take your shoes and belt off or
Take your devices out.

Edit: Looks like Clear has you put your biometric data on file so you skip the line for showing your ID by getting an eye and fingerprint scan. It’s just a different product. If you get both it might actually be less miserable to fly.

Clear is the result of someone going, “why should the government be the only one making money off tsa pre-check?”. And somehow, no one thought to ask, “why do we need two competing systems for the same section of security theatre”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not telling my family I’m married and dying.

quote:

I was diagnosed with an incurable cancer about 4 months ago. I was told I had 4-5 months of relatively normal life and a then probably a very steep slope down to my demise. I’m at peace and fighting might give me an extra few months but at a massive quality of life cost.

I chose not to tell anyone apart from my partner and we got married in secret a month or so ago so that he could have the final say on anything medical for me. (I'm not my families favourite son for religious reasons)

However one of the main reasons that I didn't say anything was my youngest sister was getting married at new year and I really didn't want to overshadow her day, and my step sister was having the first family grandchild at Christmas and I didn't want again to overshadow anything. Everything went fine for them and there was no drama. Ian and I were hosted if a little ungraciously during the holidays but he gave up his family celebrations to be with me and attend various baby things and a wedding.

Last weekend I was visiting my family trying to build a few bridges before I finally told them, and had a major medical incident and ended up in hospital. There my mum, who shouldn’t have been told found out I had cancer and that I was married.

All hell has broken loose since not about the fact I’m dying, that’s because I live a sinful life, but that I didn’t immediately return home on the diagnosis and throw myself onto my family for forgiveness and for them to ‘care’ My sister has accused me of ruining her special year and my other sister saying I didn’t give the opportunity of naming their son after me and general me me me attitude.

The family held a prayer intervention at the hospital where I was preached at by family members and hangers on with my mum taking centre stage all the time.

So I’ve travelled home.

Ian arranged ambulance to return me to a hospice near my home and friends with palliative care for this period and I’m basically going no contact. I can’t deal with their issues but according to the exploding phone I have I’m the rear end in a top hat.

AITA for leaving my family to deal with this on their own and living the limited time I have left my way.

Now, I'm not saying that human sacrifice cures cancer. I'm just saying let's throw the entire family into a volcano and see what happens.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mx. posted:

AITA for expecting parents to collect their kids after classes?

this is some wierd suburban thing right i remember having a bus pass to go to school across town. i took a bus got on a transfer and went to school and back with my sister who was kindergarten. this wasnt in a big metro area either. although that county has since removed its public transportation so maybe im just old.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Propaniac posted:

So, I wanted to share today's top Ask Amy letter, from the "Jesus Christ how can anyone possibly have enough free time and energy to give a gently caress about this" file:

Silently Simmering

On one hand, this is a crazy person.

On the other hand, I’m ostensibly on a family plan with my wife for Clear, and I’ve never had it take less time than the normal security lane would take. The company seems to be wildly incompetent and it’s airport staff are utterly unprepared for anything other than the happy path through their system.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

WIBTA for not wanting a woman I used to bully at my wedding.

quote:

I wasn't a great person in high school. My friends and I had our own little click and we weren't nice to some of our classmates.

I tried going to college but it wasn't for me. I got a job at a car dealership and eventually started selling cars. I'm pretty good at it so I make a good living.

My younger brother did great in university and he has a pretty good future ahead of him.

After he graduated he started working in the city and there is a club there for graduates from his university. He ran into a girl that I wasn't very nice to in high school. She is a couple of years older than him but they started dating. I don't think she realized he was my brother. He likes that they grew up in the same town.

They are at the meeting the family stage and he brought her home for Christmas. My parents had sold their home after we all moved out so they didn't live in the same town anymore.

She recognized me right away. I didn't recognize her. I guess she got past the ugly duckling part of growing up. She is very physically attractive. She is also doing well in life.

She didn't say anything until I approached her after dinner. She asked if I honestly couldn't remember her. I didn't. Until she reminded me of the stuff I used to do to her. I felt sick to my stomach. I immediately apologized for everything and said that I had been an rear end in a top hat kid and that I had grown up since then. She said that she was glad and that she accepted my apology.

I sent out my wedding invitations recently and my brother RSVP'd with his plus one. I asked him who he was bringing. He said that he was bringing his girlfriend. The girl from Christmas. So I guess she never mentioned me.

I kind of want to ask him not to bring her. A lot of my old friends will be at the wedding and I don't want any thing to happen. She forgave me but I still think it is kind of shady that she never brought up our past to my brother.

Would it be an rear end in a top hat move if I asked him not to bring her to my wedding?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

Now, I'm not saying that human sacrifice cures cancer. I'm just saying let's throw the entire family into a volcano and see what happens.

quote:

The family held a prayer intervention at the hospital where I was preached at by family members and hangers on with my mum taking centre stage all the time.

sending a text to the group chat: ***FAMILY EMERGENCY*** we have to get to the hospital while it's not too late to make this all about me

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mx. posted:

quote:

So I guess she never mentioned me.

but I still think it is kind of shady that she never brought up our past to my brother.

Why is OP jumping to this conclusion? Doesn't it seem more likely the girlfriend accepted the apology (or pretended to), talked about it with the brother, and decided she could deal with OP being occasionally in her life? It only makes sense if the bullying was so egregious that OP knows the brother would go scorched earth on them if he knew.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Mx. posted:

This line:

quote:

I didn't recognize her. I guess she got past the ugly duckling part of growing up. She is very physically attractive.
really makes me think this person hasn't matured as much as they seem to think they have.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

I guess she got past the ugly duckling part of growing up.

I don't remember her, but it's still a reflex to poo poo on her!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mx. posted:

AITA for expecting parents to collect their kids after classes?

AITA for taking an entire class hostage because I refuse to believe 10-12 year olds are capable of taking the bus home on their own?

In Europe this is very normal.

The taking the bus part, not the hostage situation.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cloacamazing! posted:

AITA for taking an entire class hostage because I refuse to believe 10-12 year olds are capable of taking the bus home on their own?

In Europe this is very normal.

The taking the bus part, not the hostage situation.

Next, you’re going to tell us that dads aren’t the size of plums.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah but there's already a shitload of hares there. What's a few more pellets?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Hughlander posted:

Wow. That's so loving sad.

I completely agree with the volcano part. You never know until you know, right?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

LimaBiker posted:

Wow. That's so loving sad.

I completely agree with the volcano part. You never know until you know, right?

It would be a net good for humanity either way.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Blue Moonlight posted:

On one hand, this is a crazy person.

On the other hand, I’m ostensibly on a family plan with my wife for Clear, and I’ve never had it take less time than the normal security lane would take. The company seems to be wildly incompetent and it’s airport staff are utterly unprepared for anything other than the happy path through their system.

lol you're gettin scammed for $189+$60 per extra person annually by an incompetent private company when a TSA Pre-Check is $78 for 5 years per person

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

snergle posted:

this is some wierd suburban thing right i remember having a bus pass to go to school across town. i took a bus got on a transfer and went to school and back with my sister who was kindergarten. this wasnt in a big metro area either. although that county has since removed its public transportation so maybe im just old.

naaa it's a good case of "in Europe this is very normal", even here on wish.com America island it's normal to see pre-teens walking home from school.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

AceClown posted:

naaa it's a good case of "in Europe this is very normal", even here on wish.com America island it's normal to see pre-teens walking home from school.

I walked to and from school my entire school life. Elementary school was within walking distance in the suburbs, so my mom showed me the way once and that was it. Same for when I was ten and went to school in the nearest city, she showed me which busses to take and that was it. We had a schoolbus too, so really I was just walking to the bus stop by myself and the most dangerous part was crossing the street in front of the school with dozens of other kids.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
In the UK I was walking home from school from around 10. It is becoming rarer though as the media have slowly filled the public with dread over every bush hiding a pedophile. When in reality they just need to stay clear of the local conservatives office.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mega Comrade posted:

In the UK I was walking home from school from around 10. It is becoming rarer though as the media have slowly filled the public with dread over every bush hiding a pedophile. When in reality they just need to stay clear of the local conservatives office.

It's a bit insane - when I was a kid, no-one was being driven to school by their parents. Now every school has a massive traffic jam around it in the morning and afternoon.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In UK and we walked to school on our own from around 4 or 5, it's extremely normal.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My (19f) boyfriend (20m) goes “goblin mode” every time his sports team loses

quote:

My (19f) boyfriend (20m) is more athletic than me and is really into sports when i’m not super into them. He’s cried multiple times over his favorite team losing, which i understand, we all get emotional — but whenever his team looses he proceeds to eat or destroy all food items in the house. I don’t understand why he chooses to destroy all of our food, i don’t know why that’s his stress response but i’ve talked to him about it before and he still hasn’t stopped. He calls his “goblin mode” and he won’t stop until all food is ruined. His favorite team is playing in the superbowl and i’m really nervous. Any advice?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mx. posted:

Go adventurer mode and lop his head off with a +2 axe.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Mx. posted:

This is clearly a (well-founded) dig at Eagles fans.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Propaniac posted:

And then decided I had to throw in letter #2 as well:

Too Many Dans

One ex and her family always called me by my middle name because her sister was dating someone with my first name already. It worked out.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mx. posted:

break up with your child

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don’t buy any food in the runup to the Super Bowl, obviously

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Put in a dry bag and tie it up a tree

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lugubrious posted:

This line:

really makes me think this person hasn't matured as much as they seem to think they have.

I feel like if they hadn't gotten hot, OP would not have been so willing to make amends.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Going back a couple of pages but do black men not mind being called a spade if they’re getting a ride out of it? Seems an odd principle to leave to one side to get your end away.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

monkeytennis posted:

Going back a couple of pages but do black men not mind being called a spade if they’re getting a ride out of it? Seems an odd principle to leave to one side to get your end away.

WTF kind of question is this? Probably some do and some don't and some fall somewhere in the middle, like any other group of tens of millions of people.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
I walked to school from kindergarten to senior year. Elementary school was just down the road, so that only required me to cross three streets total, and kindergarten we had personal safety patrols (re: fifth graders with the stop sign flags) to walk us to/from the school.

Middle school was by far the longest walk, and I took the school bus a few times because it did pick up really close to my house - but it was also a pain because I hated most of the kids on the route. I remember waiting for the bus one morning and just being relentlessly asked if I was anorexic or bulimic and being mocked for being skinny and underweight. The walk sucked, especially in MN winters, but it was better than being reminded first thing in the morning how deeply unpopular I was.

High school was interesting because it required me to cross the highway - and while most highways don't have intersections, this one did (which has since been changed). Not that my sister or I ever bothered to walk the block out of our way to do so. We'd just wait for the traffic to die down, scoot across to the median (which was about 20ft wide, not just the tiny concrete one), wait for the other direction to die down, scoot across again. And then we'd have to heave ourselves over a 10ft fence until someone came around to cut a hole in it every year.

The dumbest thing that basically happened to us one year, we were walking home - my sister (a senior) was like.. a 500 ft ahead of me because she didn't want to walk with her lovely freshman baby sister. We were well off school property at this point, walking up the street that led almost directly to our house. The walk home was legit only like... 10-15 min, at most. We both got stopped by the school hall monitors basically yelling at us that we couldn't cross the highway there, and we had to walk up to the intersection and wait for the light.
We both basically told them to gently caress off, we're not on school property and we're capable enough to not cross the highway when one ton hunks of metal are flying past at 60mph and to wait for a lull in traffic.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

feedmegin posted:

One ex and her family always called me by my middle name because her sister was dating someone with my first name already. It worked out.

lol reminded of the tweet or something where the dude was upset because his GFs family called him "human Kevin" because they had a cat called Kevin

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The new middle school that was just installed in my home town has something silly like a five mile exclusion zone for bussing. And to walk there you need to cross two highways at minimum.

We're just counting the days to a story about a kid being killed by a car and the isd blaming the parents.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

AceClown posted:

lol reminded of the tweet or something where the dude was upset because his GFs family called him "human Kevin" because they had a cat called Kevin

Human Nigel!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Kurieg posted:

The new middle school that was just installed in my home town has something silly like a five mile exclusion zone for bussing.

Ours was two miles as the crow flies. Which made my house just barely inside it. One of the bus stops was literally across the street from my house. I had to walk past another one to walk to school.

My parents said it was loving stupid, just take the bus and if anyone complains tell them. Dad was on the PTA and was very good at raising hell for stupid poo poo (like when my sister got suspended for bringing a multitool to class, which her teacher had asked her to, and someone else stole it from her and took out the knife on it to cut a piece of paper)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

atomicdream posted:

Human Nigel!

How lame would you have to be to hate that and not love it?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Nigel was here first, human Nigel. Know your place.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I got a tour nickname because I shared a first name with chief lighting engineer and he had seniority. He was also only on the crew for the first two dates, but couple of years down the road and I'm still Chef. :rolleyes:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrQwerty posted:

lol you're gettin scammed for $189+$60 per extra person annually by an incompetent private company when a TSA Pre-Check is $78 for 5 years per person

Clear and Precheck get you out of different things and don't overlap. Clear lets you use biometrics in place of an ID check and Precheck lets you leave your shoes on and leave your electronics in your bag. And if you have a road warrior credit card you get reimbursed for the membership fees for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

AITA for teasing my girlfriend for talking about her hobbies?

quote:

My girlfriend (30F) and I (40M) have lived together about one year. I am introverted and keep my interests to myself, while she is excitable and talkative, and likes to gush about her interests. I listen politely, but I just don't care about most of the topics, and the chatter cuts into my quiet time. If I cut her off, she gets dejected and pouts. I explained it comes off as attention-seeking or attempting to impress me, and it helped her cut back on the extraneous details, but she still has her excited outbursts.

Her newest (rediscovered) obsession is Minecraft. I've listened to her random tidbits, I even humored her when she asked my opinion on her "concept house in creative mode." Today while we were out with friends, she happily brought up her Minecraft progress. I teasingly (but honestly) said that at a certain age, Minecraft is a form of regression and shouldn't be shared so proudly and openly. She got quiet, the topic changed, but she had that dejected look the rest of the time.

When we got home, she called me a jerk and said I ruined her excitement for the game. She complained that I'm always encouraging her to find new interests and always mocking her choices. I argued it wasn't mocking, it's a common opinion and I shouldn't be afraid to share my opinions with her. I told her I'm very close to never speaking to her again, if she continues to act like this. If her enjoyment is dependent on my opinion, she should just keep her interests to herself. AITA?

Why do people date others in which they aren't remotely interested in?

Like, my husband doesn't really give a poo poo about my Disney Dreamlight Valley or my Pokémon team, but he listens to me babble about it and asks polite questions like a kind human being.

I know jack all about what he does for his job, but I still listen and try to understand and ask questions or sympathize with him because I actually love my partner.

I don't understand not wanting your partner to be happy and animated and thinking it's a burden.