Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well if there isn't an anime forthcoming it's sad, but this won't be even the third time the Digimon anime has gone on hiatus after a season is completed. Don't cry because it's over etc. And no doubt there will be another season down the line, the brand is doing pretty well overall I think.

Meanwhile in T-6... Ghost Game 63 where appropriately the end of the episode makes it clear we are in the home stretch! We have a plot on our hands! And related to that, shouts out to Ghost Game's most surprising monster of the week reveal: Good Guy Quartzmon, friend to baby Digimon everywhere. I can't say I was expecting that…

Dagomon next week! And possibly the Digital World if the preview is to be believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wish I could be more excited because Seekers looks absolutely amazing and exactly what I'd want a new show to be...but for some reason they decided not to go for an anime. I'll read the novels and I hope they're good but it's not the same.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/jp_excelsior/status/1624613350138122240?s=46&t=ZR1aY8clEZjDvSDofe3XxQ

Anyway forfeit all earthly possessions to Loogamon

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Digimon Adventure had that novel adaptation, so another series being one to begin with isn't too out of place.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Good news, Seekers is going to be published in English.

https://twitter.com/onkeikun/status/1624616725370093570?s=46&t=ZR1aY8clEZjDvSDofe3XxQ

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/withthewill/status/1624627053231480832?s=46&t=ZR1aY8clEZjDvSDofe3XxQ

Two new Digimon, Luxmon and ArkhaiAngemon

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shoutouts to Dominimon on the far right there making it out of being a V-Tamer footnote.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HtCOXu6zauk

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Is he the first to escape V-Tamer containment? Outside of Arkadimon in Hacker's Memory.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Bee posted:

Is he the first to escape V-Tamer containment? Outside of Arkadimon in Hacker's Memory.

NeoDevimon was in Colon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Bee posted:

Arkadimon appeared in Xros Wars well ahead of HM

And NeoDevimon was in the Pendulum Progress

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Luxmon is angellic Impmon.

I love this little guy so much oh my lord

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pyroi posted:

Luxmon is angellic Impmon.
He sounds like Macaulay Culkin, got it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/onkeikun/status/1624628915342921728?s=46&t=ZR1aY8clEZjDvSDofe3XxQ
https://twitter.com/onkeikun/status/1624633679313088512?s=46&t=ZR1aY8clEZjDvSDofe3XxQ

Story and character info for Seekers

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Very Cyber Sleuth sounding. That's good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Probably the most interesting thing about Seekers so far is that we're getting some new CommanDramon evolutions out of this

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Omnicrom posted:

...ending in 6 episodes means it'll have run for 68 episodes total. That makes it the second longest running single Digimon show, first if you count Young Hunters separately from Xros Wars. The show started October of 2021, it coming to an end after a year and a half isn't it being cancelled out of the blue. Doubly so if that DiM card is the next series/brand/thing.

Yeah, objectively it's had a good long run, but I personally just started getting into it so I'm bummed that it's ending because being a fan of western cartoons like The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, king of the hill, and American Dad had trained me to want shows to last a hundred episodes at least.

It's my own fault for not getting into it sooner, I hope the next anime Digimon is also good.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
It may not be an anime yet/ever, but Seekers does sound loving rad. And I really can't help but wonder if the focus on live action trailers is a testbed for Something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That trailer sort of makes me wonder if a live action Digimon movie could potentially work (Pokemon pulled it off well enough with Detective Pikachu after all)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DetectiveAgumon.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I could not be less interested in live action Digimon.

I think Loogiemon will be my first vital bracelet purchase, though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I actually liked detective pikachu so im actually pretty okay with a digimon live action tbh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wish I could be more excited because Seekers looks absolutely amazing and exactly what I'd want a new show to be...but for some reason they decided not to go for an anime. I'll read the novels and I hope they're good but it's not the same.

Tbh this more adult orientated (by the sound of it) form seems well suited to a novel, like if theyre gonna actually explore more risque themes they dont really wanna confuse parents by suddenly making a graphic digimon anime

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

wuggles posted:

I could not be less interested in live action Digimon.

I think Loogiemon will be my first vital bracelet purchase, though.

The Vital Bracelet shorts were live-action and very cool though. I'm glad we're getting more but with a proper story in Seekers.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh this more adult orientated (by the sound of it) form seems well suited to a novel, like if theyre gonna actually explore more risque themes they dont really wanna confuse parents by suddenly making a graphic digimon anime

It wouldn't be the first Digimon anime aimed at an older audience though. Much as I want to forget it ever happened, Tri did happen.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Mystery helicopter mon is sick.

https://mobile.twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1624611126494507008

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Vital Bracelet shorts were live-action and very cool though. I'm glad we're getting more but with a proper story in Seekers.

It wouldn't be the first Digimon anime aimed at an older audience though. Much as I want to forget it ever happened, Tri did happen.

Well, what i mean is the art gives off heavy smt vibes and the smt light novel had to be made into an explicitly adult movie, like hopefully you can see where releasing an anime like that would probably not be the smartest brand move

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

All the adult-targeted Digimon anime has been nostalgia movies tied into Adventure, making a web series or something for Seekers would be a pretty big investment on something very different in attitude to what fans expect from a Digimon anime. It'd be cool, but a web novel sounds like a pretty reasonable format to tell this kind of story in and frees it up to have a whole different kind of pacing than we'd get in anime.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. A web novel seems like a solid toe dip into this sort of tone. If its popular, I can see VNs, games, or some sort of show (either live action like all the trailers or an anime) popping up in the universe.

poo poo, a three way faction war would lend itself well to a video game with an SMT like structure, provided Digimon games were allowed to have budgets.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, objectively it's had a good long run, but I personally just started getting into it so I'm bummed that it's ending because being a fan of western cartoons like The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, king of the hill, and American Dad had trained me to want shows to last a hundred episodes at least.

It's my own fault for not getting into it sooner, I hope the next anime Digimon is also good.

It's worth pointing out that what you're describing is extremely rare in Japanese animation and what you are expecting generally doesn't happen.

When it comes to anime you almost never get shows that run anywhere close to 100 episodes. The overwhelmingly vast majority run 12 or 13 episodes and that's it. A long-running adaptation of a very popular comic that is long enough may eventually climb north of 100 episodes, often over the course of multiple seasons over multiple years, but that's about it. A show that is HUGE will often not be slated for more than about 50 episodes. The most recent series of Gundam set the world on fire and moved an unbelievable mountain of merchandise, and nobody involved imagines it'll run for longer than 52 episodes total.

There are a small handful of holdouts that can just run forever/keep fielding seasons forever, but those are generally the exceptions that prove the rule. Ultimately when it comes to anime, it's best to unlearn the idea that a popular show is going to run for hundreds of episodes because otherwise you're setting yourself up for stress and disappointment.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

It's also just a better way of looking at stories. They should get satisfying endings, not just putter out forever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just feel like a lot of the people scoffing at it are inadvertently insulting prose as a narrative form

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The new mystery Crack Team evolutions standing above CommanDramon are also intriguing

Nodosaur posted:

I just feel like a lot of the people scoffing at it are inadvertently insulting prose as a narrative form

I think a lot of people didn't notice that this is actually getting an English release, usually "Novel adaptation of a Japanese property" ends up equaling "this will never leave Japan"

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I'd rather have had an anime, manga, or game because I prefer those things, but I'll give the novel a try for sure

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

I think a lot of people didn't notice that this is actually getting an English release, usually "Novel adaptation of a Japanese property" ends up equaling "this will never leave Japan"

We'll miss the experience of someone half-translating a summary and that being the sum total of what the non-Japan fanbase knows about it for 15 years.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

The new mystery Crack Team evolutions standing above CommanDramon are also intriguing

Given they’re with Commandramon, I think it’s more likely they’re D-Brigade like the tilt-rotor ‘mon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Given they’re with Commandramon, I think it’s more likely they’re D-Brigade like the tilt-rotor ‘mon

Got the team names mixed up

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

That was where I was at. I was disappointed until they confirmed they were bringing it over.

(Hopefully they actually translate it properly instead of throwing it through a machine and doing a short editing pass...)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

I have no issues with that and I do plan to read it, but an anime is always going to reach more people. I watched Appmon (if several years later), Adventure: and Ghost Game with my group of friends and it's always given us something to talk about (even if just to mock the show with Adventure:) but I find it hard to believe any of them is going to read a web novel, cool as it may sound.

Omnicrom posted:

That was where I was at. I was disappointed until they confirmed they were bringing it over.

(Hopefully they actually translate it properly instead of throwing it through a machine and doing a short editing pass...)

I have no hopes this will have a proper translation with how everything in the actual Digimon site is machine translated and the subs at Digimon Con were some of the worst I've seen in my life. But with some luck fans will take it upon themselves to translate it properly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I very much doubt that Ghost Game is going to be the last Digimon anime series at least but it might be a little while before we get another one at this rate

Speaking of novels, have any of the previous ones been translated (and if so how are they)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I very much doubt that Ghost Game is going to be the last Digimon anime series at least but it might be a little while before we get another one at this rate

Speaking of novels, have any of the previous ones been translated (and if so how are they)?

I know there's a fan translation of at least most of the Adventure 99 novel by Onkeikun, though I haven't read it. I have heard a couple of interesting background details from it, like the idea that Sora's dad married into her mother's family so Takenouchi is actually her Maiden name which recasts how big a deal her mom actually is as a flower arranger and does a little to contextualize why they clashed in 99, but it's mostly little tidbits like that.