Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Does budget wise have a free trial? Weird move to have like zero screen shots or explanation of how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

Does budget wise have a free trial? Weird move to have like zero screen shots or explanation of how it works.

45 day free trial, apparently.

3/mo, 24/year, 99/lifetime.

I started re-creating my budget categories in it yesterday just to give it a shot. No real opinion on it yet, I think I'm going to maintain it alongside financier to see how it works, though if it's not appreciably different/better than financier, I probably wouldn't switch over.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I had forgotten how janky the csv import is in ynab4. Maybe it's time to bit the bullet and move to nynab

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

apatheticman posted:

(To be completely transparent, gently caress YNAB for their subscription price, its lovely and exploitative)

“Exploitative” is more than a little hyperbolic for a software subscription. They built a nice tool with cloud storage and device syncing. That costs money to make and maintain, which they reasonably want to make back with margin.

If you don’t think it is worth the price that’s fine. There is literally nothing stopping you from using something else.

$80 / year is totally worth it to me to have a tool that does auto-imports, supports collaborative budgeting with my wife, and generally just works.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Dobbs_Head posted:

“Exploitative” is more than a little hyperbolic for a software subscription. They built a nice tool with cloud storage and device syncing. That costs money to make and maintain, which they reasonably want to make back with margin.

If you don’t think it is worth the price that’s fine. There is literally nothing stopping you from using something else.

$80 / year is totally worth it to me to have a tool that does auto-imports, supports collaborative budgeting with my wife, and generally just works.

Yeah, go look at their "coaching".

They only "reasonably" want to make it back because they got bought by a VC firm that moved it directly to a subscription model that basically didn't do any feature updates for a year. If there was continual improvement, fine, but many other companies/businesses do just fine with money coming to update their software not put in on the backs of a subscription model.

They basically spent years building up a loyal following and VC money exploits that until people are like "you know what I'm out" it's the poster child of that poo poo being ruined by needless profit incentive.

If they actually had a mission to help people, they would have kept YNAB 4 up for sale.

One time benefits, up to you if you want to pay for the "enhancements"

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 30, 2023

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

Dobbs_Head posted:

After being a subscriber for a while I've also enjoyed using YNAB. I've used the Dave Ramsey free software for a while before that I was using excel and running into balancing issues. Nothing was more annoying than being ~$5 off somewhere within 5 worksheets.

YNAB's syncing software has drastically improved over the past year, I like how quickly I can build goals, and the loan tracking is getting better.

While $80/year is one of my more expensive subscriptions, and has more bells and whistles (read: coaching and podcasts) that I don't use, I'm happy with it. Especially if it translates to paying people to maintain it and continues to keep it working.

And I'll note that I'm lucky to have $80 annually to be able to use for a budgeting software and not care that I'm not using all available features.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

apatheticman posted:

If they actually had a mission to help people, they would have kept YNAB 4 up for sale.

This is where I think your trouble is. Their mission has never been to help people, their mission has been to make money. (Don’t quote me their bullshit ad copy.) If you expect more from a for-profit corporation, you’re in for a lot of disappointment.

YNAB puts forward a straightforward transaction: money for services. There is nothing exploitative there, even if you don’t like the price point.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Dobbs_Head posted:

This is where I think your trouble is. Their mission has never been to help people, their mission has been to make money. (Don’t quote me their bullshit ad copy.) If you expect more from a for-profit corporation, you’re in for a lot of disappointment.

YNAB puts forward a straightforward transaction: money for services. There is nothing exploitative there, even if you don’t like the price point.

"don't quote me their bullshit ad copy" pretty much kills this conversation.

Enjoy your overprice software I guess.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, the market for these services is kind of a wasteland, with YNAB being the "best" but expensive, and everything else just lacking in features.

I suppose there's an argument for supporting more of the smaller players and hoping that eventually they'll catch up, but it's a hard swallow.

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Schrute Nation posted:

While $80/year is one of my more expensive subscriptions, and has more bells and whistles (read: coaching and podcasts) that I don't use, I'm happy with it. Especially if it translates to paying people to maintain it and continues to keep it working.

this. It has helped me turn my finances around and I will gladly support the devs and their business.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I am jobless. I have enough to pay my February bills but will be going hungry a lot this upcoming month.
130 bucks (converted into CND) WITHOUT exchange rate fees and taxes.

They claim they can get people out of the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle but really they targeting people with a comfortable income who don't have self-control. By making it so expansive, they are actually creating a bigger income gap and sending a message that poor people don't deserve to gain financial stability.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This is a fine take to have! And also! Some of the solutions to money problems genuinely require having (more) income.

I hope you find your feet under you, friend

Edit: I say this as someone who started using YNAB when I was on foodstamps. Less dire circumstances than you, to be sure. But also, I didn't really have a ton of disposable income at all. And I had a ton of self control. And it helped.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 30, 2023

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I was a graduate student so I was fortunate to receive a year free. It has more than justified the cost for me over the years, but I'm not about to guess what the total cost means to other people and your funds.

For anyone who's interested but doesn't have the funds, I'm happy to invite you as a group member. The pros are that you can create unlimited budgets like a main user. The cons are that I can see your budget - I wouldn't look, but I could, so I get if that's an absolutely not. But if anyone wants to use YNAB as one of my group members, send me a PM.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

TL:DR
Love the product, but don't love the people running it if that makes sense.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 31, 2023

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

YNAB4 is still great imo

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Dancing Peasant posted:

YNAB4 is still great imo

It is, but that unfortunately doesn’t really help people who weren’t users of it before since now it’s subscription or nothing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

YNAB4 was great, but the whole "a mobile client triggered a desktop synchronization and SORRY YOU JUST LOST 2 MONTHS OF TRANSACTIONS YOU JUST ENTERED BECAUSE gently caress YOU"

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

A software program going from a flat fee to a subscription service back in 2016 is not the reason anyone is financially vulnerable. At its core, it is a system of organization. It does not control how much, or how little, money anyone has. The same organization can be accomplished in several other ways, for less cost.

I hope everything works out for you and you are able to get back on your feet soon.

Omne fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 31, 2023

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Omne posted:

A software program going from a flat fee to a subscription service back in 2016 is not the reason anyone is financially vulnerable. At its core, it is a system of organization. It does not control how much, or how little, money anyone has. The same organization can be accomplished in several other ways, for less cost.

I legitimately don't know how you can read this last page and come up with that take.

That's not what anyone is saying.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 31, 2023

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

apatheticman posted:

I legitimately don't know how you can read this last page and come up with that take.

Me?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

No Omne, edited for clarity

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

apatheticman posted:

He literally said YNAB keeps people poor and YNAB says it's their fault. But he's edited his whole post, so let's move on

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Omne posted:

He literally said YNAB keeps people poor and YNAB says it's their fault. But he's edited his whole post, so let's move on

What I am saying was 1. By having the prices so high, they are alienating those who would benefit most from the software.
2. Yes, even when I didn't have much, YNAB was worth it. However, due to fast economic changes in my country, I can barely keep afloat. YNAB marketing is still "Hey look at this couple making 100Ka year and they couldn't pay rent. LOL turns out they love shopping every weekend." Which can be really discouraging for new comers.

However, their recent blog posts seem more down to earth.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 31, 2023

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
A huge amount of the personal finance industry and communities tend to cater to solid earners that spend/save badly, aside from the ones that are formed specifically in response like r/povertyfinance/ so I don't think it's limited to YNAB.

I finally bit the bullet and jumped from YNAB4 to nYNAB. I have to admit that logging as I spend has done a lot to curb my spending, but for anyone already cutting to the bone I get that the monthly model is untenable.

It would be cool if YNAB charged on a sliding scale. Technically they could do that, but people would lose their poo poo so it'll never happen. Would be nice if they gave free accounts to low income users and it would do a huge amount to raise their profile imho.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
poo poo, it’s a web app. They could absolutely have an ad driven tier.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

Non direct import tier too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

I think people would be rightly wary of inviting advertisers onto a website with personally curated lists of financial transactions

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

greazeball posted:

I think people would be rightly wary of inviting advertisers onto a website with personally curated lists of financial transactions

Credit Karma seems to be doing pretty good.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Surprised they haven't gotten bought by like borrowwell or something.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

greazeball posted:

You'd think so, but most people don't already mind doing so, other than to make vague jokes about how targeted the advertisements on Facebook get every time you buy something new, or talk about buying something new in the presence of your always-online, always-listening, GPS-enabled data harvester.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I'm new at this budgeting app thing so I'm going to start with buckets because the one-time fee model is appealing (and I'm morally opposed to Intuit).

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

T Zero posted:

I'm new at this budgeting app thing so I'm going to start with buckets because the one-time fee model is appealing (and I'm morally opposed to Intuit).

I really hope they come out with an iOS app soon. There’s nothing on the iOS market that works the way YNAB does for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m running a large positive/“Available” balance on my credit card in YNAB, and it doesn’t go down when I cover expenses with it, so I think I hosed something up. Is there a way to show what’s been assigned to my credit card, or should I maybe just start a new budget and learn how to not gently caress it up?

E: if it helps, reconciliation seems to match up.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 22, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Pollyanna posted:

I’m running a large positive/“Available” balance on my credit card in YNAB, and it doesn’t go down when I cover expenses with it, so I think I hosed something up. Is there a way to show what’s been assigned to my credit card, or should I maybe just start a new budget and learn how to not gently caress it up?

E: if it helps, reconciliation seems to match up.

More than likely--
cashback / refunds on credit accounts get nYNAB all sorts of hosed up. It's suddenly money that you don't need to pay on the card, so it's extra money in the """"budget category"""" for paying off the card

It's kind of crazy to me that they haven't done anything to change that behavior in the, what, 6 years that nYNAB has been around?

Just add a negative budget amount to the card so that the numbers line up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bizarre. There were a few things I had to refund, but I didn’t think it added up to that much. I’ll fix the credit card amount and keep a closer eye on it, thank you!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If anyone wants to feel better about their financial situation I found this cool channel where this guy goes through people's budgets. Pretty entertaining!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2psZ0GrrQ

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Harminoff posted:

If anyone wants to feel better about their financial situation I found this cool channel where this guy goes through people's budgets. Pretty entertaining!

Thank you for introducing me to this person. I am now subscribed and I LOVED this vid. Insane how much in debt that guy got

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Harminoff posted:

Ugh. Rather than re-type all the points that everyone had about how much this guy/channel sucks when it was linked in the BWM thread, I'll just quote those posts...

MoxSquad posted:

He's a music graduate trying to break into the music industry that somehow managed to convince people to go on YouTube and show off their financial wreckage. He has no actual financial credentials of any sort so yeah these aren't serious advice videos at all. More like rubber necking at financial wrecks.

MoxSquad posted:

Yah I'm not sure how he manages to keep convincing people to bare their financials on his videos. Not to gatekeep personal finance, but given his utter lack of credentials or financial accomplishments (e.g. early retirement or wealth accumulation) and general dogshit advice. You have to wonder what goes through the minds of people that let him "financially audit" them.

LanceHunter posted:

I've never watched one of these dude's videos before, and he is extremely poo poo at giving advice. I'm sure all the haranguing makes his audience feel superior about themselves, but that is hardly the path to take if you are actually trying to get someone to follow the steps you are laying out in front of them. If you actually want to help someone then getting them to raise all their psychological defenses immediately before providing your plan is basically just self-sabotage.

Also, his loving budget doesn't even hold up to scrutiny. Despite all the tax talk in the beginning he literally doesn't put aside any money for paying taxes from the $6500 budget he creates (for this self-employed person who just told you she grosses $6500 on average a month). Of course, he can't actually do that because his live-on-ramen-for-a-year plan doesn't add up if he actually included putting aside the ~$1700 a month she needs to do ASAP. Fucker tries to go all "hard truths"/"this is just the math" on this woman and then doesn't even get the math right.

For gently caress's sake, I'm even on her side after finding out she's a loving bitcoin true believer.

That video isn't financial education, it's giving an audience a chance to salivate at someone telling a pretty woman that she's stupid and needs to suffer. Anyone who is binging content like this needs to take some time and do some serious introspection.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Oh I agree, he doesn't even ever really give advice, it's just interesting to see how people got into these situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sockser posted:

More than likely--
cashback / refunds on credit accounts get nYNAB all sorts of hosed up. It's suddenly money that you don't need to pay on the card, so it's extra money in the """"budget category"""" for paying off the card

It's kind of crazy to me that they haven't done anything to change that behavior in the, what, 6 years that nYNAB has been around?

Just add a negative budget amount to the card so that the numbers line up.

I started nYNAB in January and I had this problem at first. To correct it the hoops I jumped through were:
1. Make sure my CC starting balance was bang on (-917.69) and every txn logged after that wasn't included in that starting balance. This was a pain because Jan 1 is 1/3 through my billing period so I had to wait almost a week for everything to post to my account properly so I could balance it.
2. Set my first month assigned to credit card payment to account for the money I owed at the start ie +917.69.
3. Make sure my cash back rewards go in as "Inflow: Money to Assign" (+67.65) and adjusted the assigned value to the credit card payment by that amount but negative. So for my first month that was -67.65 and my first month assigned ended up being +850.04 (917.69 - 67.65 = 850.04). This accounts for balancing the Inflow "category".
4. Make sure refunds are credited back to the same category they were logged against in the first place (do not categorize as Inflow).

It's obtuse as hell but after I figured all this out everything has reconciled just fine since then. I am sure it's even more complicated if you start out not paying off your balance every month as I do right now and I don't blame people for saying "gently caress it, it's a chequing account with a negative balance" and just incurring an interest "bill" if they're still paying down debt.