Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hey fellow mexigoon! Unfortunately this has been my experience as well. Unless you live in cdmx, mty or gdl boardgame groups are few and far between. Have you tried Facebook groups? I have had a little more luck finding other people looking into heavier games but you also get an increased risk of weird not in a good way people.

Heya, fellow mexa boardgamer! There are dozens of us... dozens!

I am in Mty, actually, but it's still difficult to find a good group. As you noted, the Venn diagram of "people willing to play heavy games" and "people I am willing to play heavy games with" is pretty much two separate circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

An overly defensive response to a completely inoffensive post? Yeah, Tom definitely fits right in with SUSD.

Do you have an empathetic bone in your body?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner posted:

An overly defensive response to a completely inoffensive post

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
new thread title

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bottom Liner posted:

An overly defensive response to a completely inoffensive post? Yeah, Tom definitely fits right in with SUSD.

It's actually way more interesting - and doubtlessly there is quite a bit of turmoil in the background. The company house filings show that Quinns has got rid of his shares and is Matt is the sole director.

The transition from a Quinns helmed enterprise to Matt at the core has doubtlessly been an exciting one. Given how hard these transitions are for small business I'm not surprised people are stressed the gently caress out and snappy about it.

I'm actually surprised they haven't completely imploded.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wow, that definitely sheds more light on why it was so touchy for Tom. I don't watch all their videos but I do skim through the podcasts and at least see when they post new videos and hadn't really noticed a change in anything.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 11, 2023

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Tom, buddy, I don't want to tell you how to do your job but I don't think "please reach out to me directly if you have concerns about the frequency or quality of our reviews" is what you want to be telling a bunch of boardgamers

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's actually way more interesting - and doubtlessly there is quite a bit of turmoil in the background. The company house filings show that Quinns has got rid of his shares and is Matt is the sole director.

The transition from a Quinns helmed enterprise to Matt at the core has doubtlessly been an exciting one. Given how hard these transitions are for small business I'm not surprised people are stressed the gently caress out and snappy about it.

I thought this was a troll but I looked it up and yes, Matt is the sole officer of Shut Up and Sit Down Ltd. Weird. The only thing I've noticed is that videos have slowed, but it's only because I want more SUSD and it makes me disappointed when a video gets released and it's for a game I have no interest in.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I thought this was a troll but I looked it up and yes, Matt is the sole officer of Shut Up and Sit Down Ltd. Weird. The only thing I've noticed is that videos have slowed, but it's only because I want more SUSD and it makes me disappointed when a video gets released and it's for a game I have no interest in.

In terms of small business leadership transitions this is an 11/10 outcome imho.

They are also building a 'professional' studio presumably so they can stop filming in the kitchens which is presumably taking time to boot.

Edit: the quotes around professional making it sound like I think they are taking the piss, but I more mean I just have no idea where on the scale of video production facility they are going.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If Quinns is leaving SUSD that does suck quite a bit but does make more sense as a whole since he's been doing more and more on PMG. I could see how that could feel a little more fulfilling in a sense with long form, for YouTube, documentary pieces, he's been such a fixture in board gaming that it's a hard pill to swallow.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 11, 2023

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Jiro posted:

Quinns leaving SUSD sucks quite a bit but does make more sense as a whole since he's been doing more and more on PMG. I could see how that could feel a little more fulfilling in a sense but, he's been such a fixture that's a hard pill to swallow.

I suspect he's not leaving entirely, he's cut a bunch of videos for them that post date resigning as a director - that happened 12 months ago and he's demonstrably done videos since then.

Guessing he's just stepping back a bit from the business admin and will contine to do reviews.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
The praise for Tom is actually just desguised Ava hate. Typical.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Heya, fellow mexa boardgamer! There are dozens of us... dozens!

I am in Mty, actually, but it's still difficult to find a good group. As you noted, the Venn diagram of "people willing to play heavy games" and "people I am willing to play heavy games with" is pretty much two separate circles.

Oh I'm in Mty too! If you ever feel like it you can shoot me a pm at healraga (at) gmail.

It is weird to see the torch being passed on in SUSD. My favorite videos were always the ones with Quinns and Paul. I guess it was inevitable that people will eventually move on to other projects.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

discount cathouse posted:

???

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's actually disguised hate for that woman who interned at the same time as Tom, whose name I forget. She stood next to Quins nodding in the Blood on the Clocktower video?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

discount cathouse posted:

Can you point me to an Ava video you recommend? I've liked her in the few cutaways she's been in but I don't think I've seen a video she's been driving.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's actually disguised hate for that woman who interned at the same time as Tom, whose name I forget. She stood next to Quins nodding in the Blood on the Clocktower video?

That was an unlucky internship.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'll be honest, Ava's content is great but she speaks in a very slow, monotone way that I legit can't stand. Same thing happens with Tarrant from Meeple University; they both sound so extremely monotone to me and I have to make a conscious effort to make it through the vids out of love for the quality content they make. I will say that Ava's much easier to listen to in the podcast, where she speaks at a much more conversational tone.

CitizenKeen posted:

Can you point me to an Ava video you recommend? I've liked her in the few cutaways she's been in but I don't think I've seen a video she's been driving.

That was an unlucky internship.

Ava has a great Biblios review as well as covering Verdant in their Cascadia-Calico-Verdant review, which looks very cool and pretty. She's also done a lot of preview videos but I can't remember another standalone review, though there's a few recent ones that I haven't watched that might've been done by her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01ddro20NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC0vPdJs8uQ

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You shouldn't be driving while reviewing boardgames. Very irresponsible, and all of the pieces will slide off the dashboard.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Azran posted:

I'll be honest, Ava's content is great but she speaks in a very slow, monotone way that I legit can't stand.

Speaking of unique tone and cadence. I want Chef John (foodwishes.com) guy to do a boardgame review now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ1g5JuyFYo&ab_channel=FoodWishes

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
I actually hate Tom's work in SUSD and he is part of the reason I stopped watching regularly.

He's like wish.com Quinns: some weird imitation of the original only wrong in all the important ways.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

PlaneGuy posted:

I actually hate Tom's work in SUSD and he is part of the reason I stopped watching regularly.

He's like wish.com Quinns: some weird imitation of the original only wrong in all the important ways.

I felt the same at first as well tbh but I think a lot of that was just whiplash from not having the tried and true Quinns on-screen; I've grown to really like the way Tom goes about his reviews.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Won my first game of Under Falling Skies tonight! It was pretty close though, and was mostly just a lot of really good luck. Now I'm ready to start the campaign proper, although I'll save that for another day.

I can't imagine doing this game on anything but Threat Level 0. It's already ridiculously hard even with that. I can't understand how it's even possible on higher difficulties, especially 4. You'd have to be like, an RNG god or something.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I prefer Tom to Quinns and find his reviews more enjoyable. They have the same kind of energy but I find Tom is more enthusiastic about boardgaming while Quinns is clearly disillusioned and more focused on his other project that is more fulfilling to him.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

nice, gonna watch his entire channel tomorrow

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i just miss having matt and quinns do podcasts and reviews together because no other combo has their chemistry imo

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Realising that asking this is likely going to be a :can: moment, but -

I'm finally managing to get five other people round to play Dune.

What are people's thoughts on playing with with what used to be called the "optional" rules (all Advanced rules except for Double Spice Blow + Advanced Combat) vs. just playing the full Advanced rules?

My immediate gut feeling is that Advanced Combat seems unnecessarily fiddly for an unclear benefit and obviously if you're removing the extra spice sink in the form of Advanced Combat you should also remove the extra spice flow in the form of the double spice blow. I haven't played the game yet though so I'm wondering if I'm missing some sort of tremendous benefit of adding the Double Spice Blow / Advanced Combat?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Double Spice Blow / Advanced Combat buffs Fremen, because they have a rule where they always fight at full strength. Given that they're the weakest faction, buffing them is a good thing.

You're right about the fiddlyness, though, and it's still the only rule interaction I have trouble getting through people's heads.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

jesus WEP posted:

i just miss having matt and quinns do podcasts and reviews together because no other combo has their chemistry imo

ESPECIALLY the podcast. I haven't listened to one in a while

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
I need to purge my board game collection, for it's literally causing my (lovely) shelves to collapse.

To that end, I'm looking to sell the following board games, at (at cut rate prices, I think):

John Company 2ed $80 (never played, but opened and tokens punched out, no metal coins)

ISS Vanguard, standeee version $100 (never played, punch-outs, some wear to the manuals)

If you're interested, please send me a PM and we can work out method of payment / shipping costs.

Finally, I apologize if this more appropriate in SA Mart - please feel free to let me know if I made an error.

Thanks!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jove posted:

Finally, I apologize if this more appropriate in SA Mart - please feel free to let me know if I made an error.

I know occasionally small sales have gone on in these threads, and I've bought a few things from goons via previous thread iterations. It might be better to create a thread in SA Mart to protect users via SA Mart rules and to let their moderation team try to sniff out potential scams. However, it is not a requirement to use SA-Mart as far as I know and there is no rule banning sales in Trad Games, based on the last time I consulted a mod about it. Caveat emptor and all that.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

I know occasionally small sales have gone on in these threads, and I've bought a few things from goons via previous thread iterations. It might be better to create a thread in SA Mart to protect users via SA Mart rules and to let their moderation team try to sniff out potential scams. However, it is not a requirement to use SA-Mart as far as I know and there is no rule banning sales in Trad Games, based on the last time I consulted a mod about it. Caveat emptor and all that.

This is still the case as far as I know, but I dropped the question to the other TG mods in case they want to weigh in. If you do make a SA Mart thread, don't forget your picture with your username!! (You wouldn't believe how many people mess that up)

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
After coming off The King's Dilemma, my Saturday night group sat down to play/learn Oath. One of the guys in the group bought it a while ago and has been mad keen to introduce it to everyone.

I was wary coming in - after multiple watches of several different videos explaining the rules, I felt like it was about 2 steps short of The Cones of Dunshire. Most of the others didn't really get a grasp of the rules from the videos and dad life gives them little time to prelearn this stuff, so I took it upon myself to be a second hand to help explain the game. My concern came from the game owner wanting to take charge of the night and god bless him he tries hard, but he's a very literal person and not everyone in the group approaches games in the same way.

As we've talked about, there's definitely an art to explaining a game and something like Oath is particularly dense. I wanted to get everyone just playing, not worrying too much about the fine details, and talking out turns. Unfortunately this got a bit derailed - the game owner wanted to take charge of the explanation, but everytime we ran into a situation which we didn't have an exact answer for, they'd retreat to the rulebook and we'd spend 5 minutes waiting for him to dig it out. I suggested that he play the chancellor and I'd go directly after him so we could explain as we were moving, but he took his first turn completely silently and took 15 minutes to do so. :suicide:

Eventually I convinced him to put the rulebook down and just smash through, not worrying too much about mistakes, and setting a turn timer (again, mostly for the owner). We managed to finish a game although it was 1:30am by the time we did so and I'm not sure we'll get it back to the table. The game itself was... fine? I'm sure there's a better way to make it work but all the weird edge cases and crossover situations and abstract mechanics made it really difficult to get a picture of what's going on and who's winning.

What's the hook of the game? Where does the tension and experience come from? I'm sure it's well rated for a reason, and I'm no stranger to weird rules (The laws of oath is straight out of Avalon Hill's 1990s catalog) but I'm not convinced it was right for that group.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mode 7 posted:

Realising that asking this is likely going to be a :can: moment, but -

I'm finally managing to get five other people round to play Dune.

What are people's thoughts on playing with with what used to be called the "optional" rules (all Advanced rules except for Double Spice Blow + Advanced Combat) vs. just playing the full Advanced rules?

My immediate gut feeling is that Advanced Combat seems unnecessarily fiddly for an unclear benefit and obviously if you're removing the extra spice sink in the form of Advanced Combat you should also remove the extra spice flow in the form of the double spice blow. I haven't played the game yet though so I'm wondering if I'm missing some sort of tremendous benefit of adding the Double Spice Blow / Advanced Combat?

I don't quite know what you mean by :can:, so sorry if I come on too strong or anything here, but I freakin love Dune and have strong opinions, so I hope I can help?

Yes, as mentioned, double spice blow helps Fremen. And also, it's kind of fiddly.

BUT! Combat in this game already 'is' fiddly. I remember initially looking at that rule and just going 'nah that's weird'. But in practice, it really doesn't end up being super hard. You might end up having to explain it a few times, but that's honestly OK, you'll have to explain lots of things a few times. Combat in particular is one of those things people can understand the rules to, watch other people do, and then finally come to do it themselves and go "oh hang on how EXACTLY does this work?". And, you know, having the extra step of explaining paying with spice actually doesn't end up being all that much 'more'.

I personally wouldn't play without it any more. It buffs the Fremen, and makes combat more perilous otherwise, but it also boosts the overall economy of the game, meaning overall, people get to do more 'stuff'.

People having more spice means that they're more able to bribe each other. The game is great, but when people start making and accepting bribes it really becomes electric.

ALSO! Fighting is generally a losing prospect. Being in the desert is rough for everyone except the Fremen. With only one spice blow, people tend to just leave the Fremen to pick up the spice blows, which is much less interactive.

With the double, you hit alliances more often. We play with only alliances of 2 being allowed, but that's really just a matter of preference. But certainly, the alliances being made "and being broken later" is a massive part of the game. With less chance of them being broken, you don't play as cagey, you don't back stab as much, etc.

A couple of other things I'd suggest: we play only to seven turns. It just always feels like the point where the game is made or broken, and subsequent turns beyond that have never been great, and make the game take juuust too long. Obviously it's important everyone's on board first if you do that.

Finally, we always play with "The Butlerian Jihad Rule" which is no phones at the table. It's a normal enough rule, but also the temptation to speak in private WhatsApp groups in alliances drags the game out really long. I actually don't know if it's a house rule, but only Atreides are allowed to make notes. This might feel draconian and like it punishes a bad memory, but it's just another fulcrum for bribes and negotiations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

million dollar mack posted:

After coming off The King's Dilemma, my Saturday night group sat down to play/learn Oath. One of the guys in the group bought it a while ago and has been mad keen to introduce it to everyone.

I was wary coming in - after multiple watches of several different videos explaining the rules, I felt like it was about 2 steps short of The Cones of Dunshire. Most of the others didn't really get a grasp of the rules from the videos and dad life gives them little time to prelearn this stuff, so I took it upon myself to be a second hand to help explain the game. My concern came from the game owner wanting to take charge of the night and god bless him he tries hard, but he's a very literal person and not everyone in the group approaches games in the same way.

As we've talked about, there's definitely an art to explaining a game and something like Oath is particularly dense. I wanted to get everyone just playing, not worrying too much about the fine details, and talking out turns. Unfortunately this got a bit derailed - the game owner wanted to take charge of the explanation, but everytime we ran into a situation which we didn't have an exact answer for, they'd retreat to the rulebook and we'd spend 5 minutes waiting for him to dig it out. I suggested that he play the chancellor and I'd go directly after him so we could explain as we were moving, but he took his first turn completely silently and took 15 minutes to do so. :suicide:

Eventually I convinced him to put the rulebook down and just smash through, not worrying too much about mistakes, and setting a turn timer (again, mostly for the owner). We managed to finish a game although it was 1:30am by the time we did so and I'm not sure we'll get it back to the table. The game itself was... fine? I'm sure there's a better way to make it work but all the weird edge cases and crossover situations and abstract mechanics made it really difficult to get a picture of what's going on and who's winning.

What's the hook of the game? Where does the tension and experience come from? I'm sure it's well rated for a reason, and I'm no stranger to weird rules (The laws of oath is straight out of Avalon Hill's 1990s catalog) but I'm not convinced it was right for that group.

The first game of Oath is rough because it executes familiar concepts, like attacking dudes on a map, in different ways. The map behaves uniquely, the attacks behave uniquely, the dudes behave uniquely, etc. I almost wonder if it would be more easily learned by new boardgamers.

The draw of it, to me, is in the social experience. We gather around, tell a funny, dramatic story together that allows us to badger, betray, and malign one another in a friendly setting, and enjoy the continuing flow of the kingdom almost like a fantasy football league or something. It doesn’t hurt that the pieces and art is all gorgeous and, once you understand the game, it is generally fairly breezy. It’s probably not a game for highly analytic and competitive players. They won’t enjoy it, and it won’t support them.

Edit: It also helps a lot to have someone that can explain the rules as broad concepts. Most things in Oath make sense, if you get what they represent, but as rules in themselves they don’t make their logic immediately evident. Like, a “campaign” needs to be understood as an abstraction of hostility in general, sending armies in conventional attacks, sending agents to steal items, propagandizing to win public support. Supply is a lot easier to keep in mind and grasp if you understand that it represents your resources generally: the more standing armies you’re doing upkeep on, the less agile and adaptable you can be.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 13, 2023

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Speaking of Cole Werlhe designs, An Infamous Traffic 2nd edition has been confirmed, finally completing the trifecta of 'bad things the British Empire got up to'! I'm very excited, as John Company is probably my favourite game ever now.

Also Werlhegig are publishing an actual copy of the really cool art/history piece 1819 Singapore. This wasn't originally an actual game but a museum exhibition that explored the colonial history of Singapore through a fictional boardgame. SUSD even made a video review to complement the exhibit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLmy896EBU4

They've also announced a couple of other titles they will be publishing, including Molly House, a game about queer spaces In Victorian London that looks fascinating.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

!Klams posted:

I don't quite know what you mean by :can:, so sorry if I come on too strong or anything here, but I freakin love Dune and have strong opinions, so I hope I can help?

Yes, as mentioned, double spice blow helps Fremen. And also, it's kind of fiddly.

BUT! Combat in this game already 'is' fiddly. I remember initially looking at that rule and just going 'nah that's weird'. But in practice, it really doesn't end up being super hard. You might end up having to explain it a few times, but that's honestly OK, you'll have to explain lots of things a few times. Combat in particular is one of those things people can understand the rules to, watch other people do, and then finally come to do it themselves and go "oh hang on how EXACTLY does this work?". And, you know, having the extra step of explaining paying with spice actually doesn't end up being all that much 'more'.

I personally wouldn't play without it any more. It buffs the Fremen, and makes combat more perilous otherwise, but it also boosts the overall economy of the game, meaning overall, people get to do more 'stuff'.

People having more spice means that they're more able to bribe each other. The game is great, but when people start making and accepting bribes it really becomes electric.

ALSO! Fighting is generally a losing prospect. Being in the desert is rough for everyone except the Fremen. With only one spice blow, people tend to just leave the Fremen to pick up the spice blows, which is much less interactive.

With the double, you hit alliances more often. We play with only alliances of 2 being allowed, but that's really just a matter of preference. But certainly, the alliances being made "and being broken later" is a massive part of the game. With less chance of them being broken, you don't play as cagey, you don't back stab as much, etc.

A couple of other things I'd suggest: we play only to seven turns. It just always feels like the point where the game is made or broken, and subsequent turns beyond that have never been great, and make the game take juuust too long. Obviously it's important everyone's on board first if you do that.

Finally, we always play with "The Butlerian Jihad Rule" which is no phones at the table. It's a normal enough rule, but also the temptation to speak in private WhatsApp groups in alliances drags the game out really long. I actually don't know if it's a house rule, but only Atreides are allowed to make notes. This might feel draconian and like it punishes a bad memory, but it's just another fulcrum for bribes and negotiations.

Thanks for the thoughts, and the points around alliances/Nexus phase stuff being more interesting if its occurring more often is a good one.
What do you feel like the Advanced Combat adds to the game that's missing from the basic level combat? I get that it adds an economic cost, but that's surely mitigated by having additional spice from the double spice blow.

I'm pretty sure that the Atreides being the only ones allowed to make notes is in the official rules and it owns, frankly. Haven't thought much about how to have alliances chat if they need to but yeah WhatsApp stuff at the table sounds absolutely dire and definitely won't be doing that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CODChimera posted:

nice, gonna watch his entire channel tomorrow

Be sure to watch the previous years' skit compilations :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Podima posted:

This is still the case as far as I know, but I dropped the question to the other TG mods in case they want to weigh in. If you do make a SA Mart thread, don't forget your picture with your username!! (You wouldn't believe how many people mess that up)

Yup you both got it right: it's not a requirement to make an SA-Mart thread, just a good idea as a place for transaction details to be "public" and gain the marginal more amount of protection based on the rules of that forum.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mode 7 posted:

Thanks for the thoughts, and the points around alliances/Nexus phase stuff being more interesting if its occurring more often is a good one.
What do you feel like the Advanced Combat adds to the game that's missing from the basic level combat? I get that it adds an economic cost, but that's surely mitigated by having additional spice from the double spice blow.

I'm pretty sure that the Atreides being the only ones allowed to make notes is in the official rules and it owns, frankly. Haven't thought much about how to have alliances chat if they need to but yeah WhatsApp stuff at the table sounds absolutely dire and definitely won't be doing that.

Having the spice cost makes battles much less a foregone thing, you can have more upsets, which I think is just inherently good.

But it's mostly the subtle economic impact it has. It means that Fremen get a boost, but also means that early on combat is a good way for Harkonen to make money (but generally not other people). And it means early on Emperor doesn't want to fight but late game becomes a military powerhouse.

These things are good for the ebb and flow of the game.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

million dollar mack posted:

Like all Cole games but just a step behind John Company (IN MY OPINION) Oath is absolute nightmare to teach and your joke about Cones of Dunshire is spot on. Like you pointed out, my main issue with the game is that it just isn't good enough to warrant the headache of learning it initially, playing it enough to really understand it, and then inflicting it on new people. The game rewards repeated plays with a steady group and IN MY OPINION just isn't worth playing that much compared to other stuff. Also, someone always has a new game they want to play too so good luck doing just a simple, quick (~1.5hr) warm up play of it.

Also, this may be sacrilegious but as time goes on I find the art style used more and more aggravating and less and less cutesy and novel. Something about it grinds on me but it's entirely possible I've spent too much time staring at coloured hexes and clean, functional graphic design that you can set your watch to.